First Round Playoff Discussion: CBJ vs WSH.

CBJ or WSH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
Late to the post-game discussion party, please forgive me. Made the trek down from Michigan and went to the game with a few friends, then drove back up to MI right after the game (of COURSE it went into 2OT) in order to make it to work on time this morning.

A few thoughts (I apologize if this has been discussed already - haven't had a chance to read all the threads yet):
- The crowd was INCREDIBLE. It was so loud. Areas for improvement: we've gotta improve our timing of chants. Not sure how it came across on TV, but in the arena there were numerous times where the "CBJ!" chants were off just a bit, so it sounded like one chant was an awkward echo of the other (C!-B!-J!Jay!). CBJ fans must do better to synchronize. Also, the "HOLT-BY" chant had so much potential, but for some reason just didn't quite catch on with enough of the crowd

- I thought CBJ played one of their better overall games (exception: PP was decent-ish but didn't convert) and played well enough to win. Looking at the series as a whole, a 2-1 advantage sounds about right/fair though. Gotta win game 4!

- Panarin is an absolute beast. Crowd was electric whenever he touched the puck. Loved his quote about never being tired, though my heart felt for him with that little slip up failing to hop over the boards... lol

- Contrarian opinion alert: I'm glad Torts challenged Caps' 2nd goal and ultimately succeeded and the call was reversed. It's absolutely within the current rules structure. However, how much of an impact did that split-second offsides decision (or no call) have on the rest of the play? CBJ had numerous chances to clear, multiple touches on the puck, plenty of time in that zone... Refs are human (though many of the calls/non-calls seem to robotically favor WASH, even in our barn...) I'd wager many CBJ fans would be pretty upset if the shoe had been on the other foot and CBJ had a goal taken away like that, 20-30 seconds after the so-called infraction wasn't called by the on-ice official

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Late to the post-game discussion party, please forgive me. Made the trek down from Michigan and went to the game with a few friends, then drove back up to MI right after the game (of COURSE it went into 2OT) in order to make it to work on time this morning.

A few thoughts (I apologize if this has been discussed already - haven't had a chance to read all the threads yet):
- The crowd was INCREDIBLE. It was so loud. Areas for improvement: we've gotta improve our timing of chants. Not sure how it came across on TV, but in the arena there were numerous times where the "CBJ!" chants were off just a bit, so it sounded like one chant was an awkward echo of the other (C!-B!-J!Jay!). CBJ fans must do better to synchronize. Also, the "HOLT-BY" chant had so much potential, but for some reason just didn't quite catch on with enough of the crowd

- I thought CBJ played one of their better overall games (exception: PP was decent-ish but didn't convert) and played well enough to win. Looking at the series as a whole, a 2-1 advantage sounds about right/fair though. Gotta win game 4!

- Panarin is an absolute beast. Crowd was electric whenever he touched the puck. Loved his quote about never being tired, though my heart felt for him with that little slip up failing to hop over the boards... lol

- Contrarian opinion alert: I'm glad Torts challenged Caps' 2nd goal and ultimately succeeded and the call was reversed. It's absolutely within the current rules structure. However, how much of an impact did that split-second offsides decision (or no call) have on the rest of the play? CBJ had numerous chances to clear, multiple touches on the puck, plenty of time in that zone... Refs are human (though many of the calls/non-calls seem to robotically favor WASH, even in our barn...) I'd wager many CBJ fans would be pretty upset if the shoe had been on the other foot and CBJ had a goal taken away like that, 20-30 seconds after the so-called infraction wasn't called by the on-ice official
I just wanted to say thanks for the commitment. That is amazing you drove down from michigan, saw a double OT game, drove back to michigan, then went to work.
Internet high 5!

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
I just wanted to say thanks for the commitment. That is amazing you drove down from michigan, saw a double OT game, drove back to michigan, then went to work.
Internet high 5!

:thumbu: Thank you, internet friend! I've followed this team faithfully ever since I was a little kid during the inaugural season. Gotta take advantage of every playoff opportunity.

Did the same thing last year for Game 3, what a heartbreak that was. Also went to Pittsburgh for Game 5. Another heartbreak and only strengthened my resolve against that insufferable fan base.

Again did the same drive to Columbus/back to Michigan for work thing in 2014, witnessed another heartbreaking loss to Pittsburgh, but at least got a solid consolation prize by catching a puck that came over the glass :D

Shit, now that I read this, maybe I'm bad luck :help::laugh:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
No win situation. I get the people upset about not playing Bjork or Sonny, but if they're out there for a big goal against people are going to ***** about them being out there instead of Panarin or Jenner's line.

Ideally he would play them. But Bjorkstrand has been invisible since that one game against Dallas in the regular season. Milano is a risk. Letestu wins faceoffs but he isn't the same Letestu that left us a few years ago. I get not playing them. And they aren't replaceable because whats behind them isn't any better. I do think they should have rolled the dice more with them in OT though, because they are skill players (aside from Letestu) and they were rested. Washington's rested guys weren't skill players.

If the Jackets are to win this series they MUST win Game 4. Going back to Washington at 2-2 is almost a death wish and will likely end the series in 6.
I liked 3/4 of this but I couldn't find a "3/4 like button"

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
:thumbu: Thank you, internet friend! I've followed this team faithfully ever since I was a little kid during the inaugural season. Gotta take advantage of every playoff opportunity.

Did the same thing last year for Game 3, what a heartbreak that was. Also went to Pittsburgh for Game 5. Another heartbreak and only strengthened my resolve against that insufferable fan base.

Again did the same drive to Columbus/back to Michigan for work thing in 2014, witnessed another heartbreaking loss to Pittsburgh, but at least got a solid consolation prize by catching a puck that came over the glass :D

****, now that I read this, maybe I'm bad luck :help::laugh:
That's awesome.
Keep it up.

Reactions: Lumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Agree that Dubi's penalties weren't good, but he won faceoffs, so I'll give him a pass.

Dubinsky: 18/28, 64%
Jenner: 6/9, 67%
Letestu: 6/9, 67%
Foligno: 8/11, 73%

Dubois: 5/21, 24% :(
We're leaning on Dubinsky HARD in the circle. It was nice to see it live, being able to see Dubinsky literally go on the ice for pretty much every other faceoff and then go straight to the bench to get the right line on.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Watching some of the other games it appears to me like the teams that are losing only have one line that's a threat to score. The other lines are just trying to burn minutes. I know injuries are a part of the game, but there are injuries due to hard nosed hockey and injuries that are cheap shots. If we don't get Wennberg back, it's going to be very difficult to advance too and even more difficult to get past the second round.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
With regards to Milano/Bjorkstrand's TOI, I didn't notice them getting dominated or hemmed in for long periods of time when they were on the ice. What did their advanced stats look like? I don't know where to get those or how to interpret them in particular...I assume others here have already looked at them and can report on what they looked like. Bjork was a -1, Milano and Letestu were both even. I can see how you would not want them matching up with Backstrom's line or Kuznetzov's line, but at home with the last change I don't see how you can't get them more favorable match-ups. Rolling three lines in a 2OT game is asking for trouble.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Rimer on the radio yesterday said he expects some changes with the lines. Don’t know if he has info or is just speculating. It was in response to the TOI issue.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
No win situation. I get the people upset about not playing Bjork or Sonny, but if they're out there for a big goal against people are going to ***** about them being out there instead of Panarin or Jenner's line.

Ideally he would play them. But Bjorkstrand has been invisible since that one game against Dallas in the regular season. Milano is a risk. Letestu wins faceoffs but he isn't the same Letestu that left us a few years ago. I get not playing them. And they aren't replaceable because whats behind them isn't any better. I do think they should have rolled the dice more with them in OT though, because they are skill players (aside from Letestu) and they were rested. Washington's rested guys weren't skill players.

If the Jackets are to win this series they MUST win Game 4. Going back to Washington at 2-2 is almost a death wish and will likely end the series in 6.
I disagree. Its not a no win situation. You have 4 lines, you use them. Washington is using their 4 lines, and it gave them the win in game 3 because Torts managed the game horribly. Especially at home, where he has the last change, and can dictate matchups. We are not a team that beats other teams with elite skill (although Jones/Panarin are changing that ), we are a team that comes at you in waves of sustained pressure.
We can play the game all day, of what if some one messes up. Heck , Werenski turns over some of the worse pucks Ive seen, but you take the good with the bad with a young team. Sonny and Bjork bring a ton of speed to the team, which at the minimum, would tire out Washington, trying to cover their speed. Letestu is an asset thats desperately needed, with Wennberg going down. You have to stick with what got you there. What won us 13 out of 15 games down the stretch ? It was the ability to roll 4 lines. We have a very deep team. Fact is, Milano, nor Bjork, nor Letestu have done anything to warrant Torts idiotic strategy the past 2 games. If that doesnt change tonight, we will be looking at a new ballgame going back to Washington .

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Why? His value isn't a high as it should be and he's a young top 6ish center on an affordable contract. That sound like exactly what we should want to keep.

Needs too much fluffing. Only plays well with certain type players. Has 0 heart.
Won't suit up if He has a hang nail. Missing the "it" factor. My last comment on that.....no more need said.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Rimer on the radio yesterday said he expects some changes with the lines. Don’t know if he has info or is just speculating. It was in response to the TOI issue.
As much as I hate to move Boone because of how well he ha played, I'd like to see him shift to C - he's been taking FO anyway- and flip Andy and Foligno. Nick just doesn't click with Boone or Vanek so I'd give Andy a go in hopes of getting a second production line.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I love Nationwide, dont get me wrong, but the game ops are beyond horrible. (First thing I would do , aside from encouraging all of us to try to contact Derek Dawley, who is responsible for game ops. I was able to locate his twitter, but havent been able to find his email. ddawley (@ddawley) | Twitter ) .

The first change I would make is to get an old fashioned organ, and replace the terrible player they have right now. He always starts chants right before the puck drops, giving the crowd no time to interact. And that stupid fake high pitch tap drum he has . Tie the game production more in line with the old school arenas like Chicago, with the tradional organ. Surely they could organize percussion in line with the civil war drummers, embrace the theme, we have the cannon . And reevalute the music you are playing at the arena. I do have to give them props for the 3d light show prior to game 2 though .

Reactions: CPTN71 and Lumbus

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Torts doubling down this morning saying people are overthinking his line useage, and its garbage that his players were tired:huh:

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Needs too much fluffing. Only plays well with certain type players. Has 0 heart.

Rookie Wennberg's play with certain kinds of players brought few trades that turned into Panarin. It is a testament to his game that even under Tortorella's guidance Wennberg can fire up Vanek and Jenner to a level which is probably their highest form by harnessing the power of few. While laughing off Tortorella's mind games. Even if he does not only bring sand on the floors of the bank as a customer, he is a pillar of this franchise, in the mold of Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teräväinen. These kinds of players are especially valuable when the community of the team is every now and then doing 180 degree turns in the model of Detroit and Vancouver. They did not forget what made them great. They didn't even recognize victory.

In Hartnell and Wennberg you find a key into the true hidden world as they are symbols and indicators of the highest play. Usurper Jarmo Kekäläinen bought off Scott Hartnell which almost cost the season as one of the lines disappeared.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
In Hartnell and Wennberg you find a key into the true hidden world as they are symbols and indicators of the highest play. Usurper Jarmo Kekäläinen bought off Scott Hartnell which almost cost the season as one of the lines disappeared.

Hartnell played almost exclusively with Sam Gagner and Lukas Sedlak last season...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Rookie Wennberg's play with certain kinds of players brought few trades that turned into Panarin. It is a testament to his game that even under Tortorella's guidance Wennberg can fire up Vanek and Jenner to a level which is probably their highest form by harnessing the power of few. While laughing off Tortorella's mind games. Even if he does not only bring sand on the floors of the bank as a customer, he is a pillar of this franchise, in the mold of Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teräväinen. These kinds of players are especially valuable when the community of the team is every now and then doing 180 degree turns in the model of Detroit and Vancouver. They did not forget what made them great. They didn't even recognize victory.

I get the feeling, reading is this post, that this is how it feels like to be on a hallucinogenic. Referring to JK has an usurper made me roll my eyes and laugh at the same time. There's some insight in here, there's also some revisionism. Drama, drama, drama. "harnessing the power of the few"? Oh boy....

The revisionism is that you seem to be saying that Wennberg got Vanek and Jenner going instead of Vanek started that line going. I don't know maybe you are saying that Wennberg's spirit animal is old skilled wingers. I don't know.....

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Hartnell played almost exclusively with Sam Gagner and Lukas Sedlak last season...

And where are they now? Wennberg played on the same wavelength with one William Karlsson also. Unfortunately they both happened to be centers. It ain't about names but the play and outcomes behind those names, in the physically manifested abstract. In example the Stanley Cup winning Chicago Blackhawks grand master interpreted in favour of the Columbus Blue Jackets in determining how and why so understanding of the play, peli, cannot be even found in thinking of dynastic ice hockey. He bought rookie Dano at high tide even though Dano had been effective besides the best players in the Blue Jackets of the post-lockout era hence harnessing Dano's bullish talent to the full.

Four passes break any defence. You succesfully complete wall-passes approaching the war zone and launch off into the space those open up. Someone can read the first pass, maybe even the second or third but at least by the fourth the defence has faltered while you now alone possess the highest understanding of the play.

Referring to JK has an usurper made me roll my eyes and laugh at the same time. Drama, drama, drama. "harnessing the power of the few"? Oh boy....

It is my understanding that Prince Eddy, Doug MacLean is the rightful general manager of the Columbus Blue Jackets, followed by usurper Scott Howson and usurper Jorma Kekäläinen who have resumed using his recognitions and titles in their propaganda.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Won't suit up if He has a hang nail. Missing the "it" factor. My last comment on that.....no more need said.

I don't know man, seems like a complete reach to me on every single point you made. Especially the heart thing.

Reactions: Monk

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It is my understanding that Prince Eddy, Doug MacLean is the rightful general manager of the Columbus Blue Jackets, followed by usurper Scott Howson and usurper Jorma Kekäläinen who have resumed using his recognitions and titles in their propaganda.

JK was the rightful heir to the throne after the fans burned DM at the stake. Ironically, DM was actually a witch so it was the only justified witch burning in history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad