First Round Playoff Discussion: CBJ vs WSH.

CBJ or WSH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Check our defence here in full glory.
NHL.com - Stats
The Power Play Shots Against number is astonishing in comparison to all other teams (I may be glossing over a team or two that played multiple goalies).
Bob was good, bordering on exceptional, 5x5. The PP, not just in terms of 9 PPGA, but in terms of the inordinate number of shots (and thus pressure) that you typically would presume are from higher danger areas than when 5x5, suggest something quite amiss with the PK.

And not to pile on, but the CBJ power play made Holtby's stats when the Caps were shorthanded look stellar.

I don't think it's so much that Holtby outplayed Bob - it's that the Caps' special teams outclassed CBJ's special teams by a large margin, at least after game 2. That wasn't just due to a goalie change- 0 for 17 on the last 17 PP opportunities, with only 19 SOG in those 17 PP, is nothing but abysmal.

Was at a few of the games, on vacation for the last 3, so was not posting during games.
Had expected a strong showing but a loss going in...the malaise I feel about the series is (I hope) primarily because we were up 2-0 with many opportunities in both OT's to take game 3. So close, yet so far... Do they need to improve - ABSOLUTELY. But am encouraged by 5x5 play, and by PLD not just in regular season, he was battling to the end in game 6 (not just the skirmish). The backend will be better when Z is healthy (he'd better be). We need some more firepower up front. PLD will provide a little more. Cam will be better. Dubinsky won't be getting much ice time. Foligno best get his act in gear. May need a trade for upfront stud, but not sure we have enough assets to bring one. Hate to surrender D, but not feeling that would be enough. Think you've got to keep Bob, but I now see the allure of trading him and a D for a stud up front. I have nothing negative to say about Bob, and I do not think Korpi is near ready, but the need up front is that apparent and there just doesn't appear to be anyone on the cusp (other than PLD) of breaking through. Keep Bob, but then need an FA signing bad...Tavares, as much as a longshot as that may be, we have the perfect winger for you.

Last edited:

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
Well, looks like the injury speculation was on point. Makes me feel better?

Blue Jackets' Artemi Panarin: Admits to knee injury
I was wondering why he looked dinged up a bit. He didn't have the jump he did early on in the series. The kids tough though. I think the Caps just shut that line down and they just couldn't figure it out. The Caps just have more depth and their PP dominated when they had to.

The better team won.

Reactions: EdwardG

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Jackets have a lot of guys who are young with a couple of vet forwards who bring little to the table other than a large salary. Once Panarin was neutralized (not surprised he was hurt, in retrospect) they struggled to score, and we all knew the PP would be their downfall sooner or later.

Best things from this year: PLD. 2nd best: Jones ascent to one of the best d-men in the league

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jacket Defensemen 5vs5 Corsi/offensive zone starts vs. Washington games 1-6 cumulative:

Savard 57%/25%
Cole 55%/24%
Z 54%/70%
Jones 50%/66%
Nutivaara 46%/55%
Murray 43%/52%

Cole and Savard had miserable save percentages (for) while on the ice, but amazing Corsis given that 3 out of 4 non neutral zone starts were in their own defensive end.

Murray's numbers speak for themselves.

Ryan Murray NHL Advanced Statistics (Even Strength) | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I was wondering why he looked dinged up a bit. He didn't have the jump he did early on in the series. The kids tough though. I think the Caps just shut that line down and they just couldn't figure it out. The Caps just have more depth and their PP dominated when they had to.

The better team won.

He was "kicked" on the top of the knee, above the shin guard and under his pant leg, by Orlov's skate while chasing him behind the net.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Jacket Defensemen 5vs5 Corsi/offensive zone starts vs. Washington games 1-6 cumulative:

Savard 57%/25%
Cole 55%/24%
Z 54%/70%
Jones 50%/66%
Nutivaara 46%/55%
Murray 43%/52%

Cole and Savard had miserable save percentages (for) while on the ice, but amazing Corsis given that 3 out of 4 non neutral zone starts were in their own defensive end.

HA. Are you saying Murray played bad? How would things look if Murray played most his minutes with Jones? Also , its interesting how you seem to value "zone starts" in relation to how you value faceoffs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Savard 57%/25%
Cole 55%/24%
Z 54%/70%
Jones 50%/66%
Nutivaara 46%/55%
Murray 43%/52%

Interesting how the numbers you present appear to make both Murray and Nutivaara look bad, but you only single out Murray.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
tumblr_ozqpiv46jd1qcc7z8o1_400.gif

All over again?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Murray wasn't a problem in this series and NEVER has been at any time.

I would like him to play 80 games each year, but that's not how things work.

And yes, IMO, Murray is still currently a better hockey player than Werenski.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Sharks TOI going into 2OT and us. What DeBoer knows about lines management, loser!

8131456b9d4c8c049f7396b65e39fe70-full.jpg

e93140d7ce2bc38b6bd9ba0710149de7-full.jpg

Reactions: CBJSTH

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
One player under 15 minutes of TOI
And then he says that awful performance in game 4 was because he didn't let them stay in Wsh after game2 and they travelled late.
Torts lost this series, plain and simple, but since Bob laid an egg in last game it became all his fault.

Reactions: burple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad