#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Also belair go add up all the stats from the players that were traded for all that skill and post it so we can all have a good laugh. Funny how you're trying to downplay 4 players in top 25 in scoring he traded away and realize how bad the returns were and what those players are doing.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Didn't he get more for Kessel than the compensation was for a looming offer sheet? Seems so long ago. Anywho I like Chai. Anyone that can wear that mustache has ballz.

Yes, Chiarelli destroyed Burke in the Kessel trade. It landed Boston Seguin and Hamilton. If one keeps extrapolating, however, one can somehow pin Kessel winning two Cups in Pittsburgh on Chiarelli (in an attempt to support the argument that all he does is trade away talent).

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
He loves his turtle players he values size over skill and speed which is exactly where the league is headed.

His drafting (and continually pumping the tires) of Yamamoto would seem to indicate that he doesn't follow that rule all the time.

And his dogged pursuit to land Caggiula isn't fitting that stereotype either.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Also belair go add up all the stats from the players that were traded for all that skill and post it so we can all have a good laugh. Funny how you're trying to downplay 4 players in top 25 in scoring he traded away and realize how bad the returns were and what those players are doing.

No, I really have no interest beating the same drum that's been beaten before. Especially when you continue ignoring my point. Nobody gives a shit which star was on your team when you win a Stanley Cup. The important part is getting there, which Chiarelli had no problem doing in Boston. It's actually very telling how ineffective those players were to the teams they were initially traded to. And be honest, you can't tell me you were aware of that statistic. 18 games in 18 seasons? Christ.

But of course, it's another patented tunnel-visioned HF argument. Yawn.

There's no trophy for winning trades.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
No, I really have no interest beating the same drum that's been beaten before. Especially when you continue ignoring my point. Nobody gives a **** which star was on your team when you win a Stanley Cup. The important part is getting there, which Chiarelli had no problem doing in Boston. It's actually very telling how ineffective those players were to the teams they were initially traded to. And be honest, you can't tell me you were aware of that statistic. 18 games in 18 seasons? Christ.

But of course, it's another patented tunnel-visioned HF argument. Yawn.

There's no trophy for winning trades.

Are you crazy? Of course there is no trophy for winning trades. Except there is a clear result for losing the vast majority of them.

Chia has won a single damn trade. Getting talbot. All his other moves were either humiliating losses (reinhart/eberle)/minor wins (kassian/maroon) or laterals AT BEST (pouliot buyout/hall larsson trade). Not to mention his insane contract signings. This is a guy who only pays extra for everything (LUCIC BUYOUT PROOF 7 YEAR DEAL)

How has he made this team better? One abnormal year from Talbot? Hes irrecoverably crippled this team from a cap issue for years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He said that last year the team overachieved.
I think he is fine with how the team is right now cause he didn't expect playoffs for a few years and last year was a flash in the pan to him.
Which is why he made no moves, moved out skill and has been extremely quiet during this start.
To him this is all part of the process. I think last year he thought he had 2 more years before playoffs to rebuild so winning last year set us back. I am kidding about that last part.

I just think this is part of his process and missing playoffs this year is fine by him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's so "nice" to see the inferiority complex and the insecurity on this board and in the fan base of this team come back so strongly.
Imma be straight up and blunt.
Do you blame us?
What optimism do you see in this team?
We had a decade of garbage play, followed by one really good year and back to garbage.
What seems like the outlier? Our start this year or our play last year?

Do you see this team turning around? If so why and what makes you feel that way other than HOPE?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I find it funny that some of you are criticizing Chia’s Kessel deal when the return was Seguin and Dougie Hamilton....

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Imma be straight up and blunt.
Do you blame us?
I blame the ridiculous reaction, the utter inability to deal with anything even resembling adversity.

What optimism do you see in this team?
Well McDavid, Draisaitl, Larsson and Nurse, just as players. Nuge's start to the season. What the team did legitimately last season, and fact I've seen better from this team this season. It's a better team then they've shown.

We had a decade of garbage play, followed by one really good year and back to garbage.
Well first that's pretty stupid. If you or others can't see the difference between this team, and the results last year and the teams from the decade of darkness, your eyes are shut.

The teams in the decade of darkness were helplessly bad teams. They would have movements, but were largely over their heads.

This year and last year's team is playing poorly, they are responding poorly to tough moments in games and lack confidence. This team isn't helpless every night.
What seems like the outlier? Our start this year or our play last year?
Nothing, the team was Good last year, and team has struggled this season.

The reason for the assumed "outlier" is because most NEED to assume that everything works in a nice straight line. It's why there's no patience for prospects, as an example.

This team isn't a helpless failure, it's a team who lack confidence and have played poorly. They are in danger of pissing away the season, but they aren't helpless in turning things around. They can play better then this.

Do you see this team turning around? If so why and what makes you feel that way other than HOPE?
I absolutely do, because teams like Vancouver and Vegas are in front of them, both of those teams are bad, they will lose games, a lot of them, so they will come back to earth. This team will figure out it's issues, it will start to score and it will tighten up it's system.

They will get some wins, remember that they are good hockey team and play more effective competitive hockey as the year progresses. They have put themselves in the position where they're just looking to challenge playoffs instead of the division, but that's what I expect them to be when things shake out.

Again, throughout the Decade of Darkness, the teams were bad and helpless. They were lucky to win games.

This team, and last year's team, is good, they can Win every night. They don't (and WON'T) win every night, but each night they have the ability and talent to win.

If you can't understand this difference, honestly, you just don't like the team anymore.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I blame the ridiculous reaction, the utter inability to deal with anything even resembling adversity.

Well McDavid, Draisaitl, Larsson and Nurse, just as players. Nuge's start to the season. What the team did legitimately last season, and fact I've seen better from this team this season. It's a better team then they've shown.

Well first that's pretty stupid. If you or others can't see the difference between this team, and the results last year and the teams from the decade of darkness, your eyes are shut.

The teams in the decade of darkness were helplessly bad teams. They would have movements, but were largely over their heads.

This year and last year's team is playing poorly, they are responding poorly to tough moments in games and lack confidence. This team isn't helpless every night.

Nothing, the team was Good last year, and team has struggled this season.

The reason for the assumed "outlier" is because most NEED to assume that everything works in a nice straight line. It's why there's no patience for prospects, as an example.

This team isn't a helpless failure, it's a team who lack confidence and have played poorly. They are in danger of pissing away the season, but they aren't helpless in turning things around. They can play better then this.

I absolutely do, because teams like Vancouver and Vegas are in front of them, both of those teams are bad, they will lose games, a lot of them, so they will come back to earth. This team will figure out it's issues, it will start to score and it will tighten up it's system.

They will get some wins, remember that they are good hockey team and play more effective competitive hockey as the year progresses. They have put themselves in the position where they're just looking to challenge playoffs instead of the division, but that's what I expect them to be when things shake out.

Again, throughout the Decade of Darkness, the teams were bad and helpless. They were lucky to win games.

This team, and last year's team, is good, they can Win every night. They don't (and WON'T) win every night, but each night they have the ability and talent to win.

If you can't understand this difference, honestly, you just don't like the team anymore.
Fair to all of them except the part that Vancouver and Vegas are bad. Vegas has scored 20! more goals than we have. Vancouver has a lot of buy in from their entire roster and are getting good goaltending. Their GAA is pretty much 1 less than ours.
That said yeah, 1 or 2 of them drop out but I look at it this way.

LA and Anaheim will make the playoffs so there is 1 division spot left. San Jose is 8-5-0 and are playing pretty well. Calgary is slumping really hard like we are but Smith is keeping them afloat and they are 8-6-0 and like us their season play wise should get better.

So that top 3 division spots are kind of out of our reach, which is fine cause of the wildcard.
Central right now is St Louis, Winnipeg and Colorado. Its safe to assume that Colorado will drop out entirely and Chicago takes their place.
Dallas is a 0.500 team and Minnesota is having a rough year but is also a 0.500 team with an even +/-. Nashville is in a wildcard spot and just improved their roster so lets say they are probably a lock.

So we will be fighting with Dallas, Minnesota and one of San Jose and Calgary for that last wildcard spot. The only team we are close to in the standings in Minnesota and we are 3 points back.
So even if this team does improve and get back up to the level of last year, we have to play BETTER than we did last year just to hit a wildcard spot. Last year was 94 points. So we need 85 points in 69 games so basically something that adds up to 42-26-1.
So a 0.615 winning percentage.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Say what you will about patience etc.
I don't think they should can the coaching staff, that could throw off the season, systems etc. I still think they can turn it around but it is in spite of the GM.
Getting rid of Chia is just acknowledging that he has been horrible at trades and contract negotiations for years now, his track record is honestly astoundingly poor.

His Eberle deal cements it. Everyone know he would get traded but instead of holding out for value, waiting for a desperate team to deal with or maybe even entering the season and building up some value, Chia instead trades him off for another failed NYI prospect in the middle of summer!?! Being a GM is all about asset management. Chia has confirmed that he stinks at asset management. We all fear his next deal, even those who are defending him here must admit that you fear his next deal (RNH for ??).

McDavid talked him down in negotiations, yes it makes for a feel good story but underneath it, when you think about it, that is scary, it is the worst negotiation imaginable. I know he is worth it and probably Drai will be too, but it is his job to save every cap cent he can and he stinks at that. Why sign Drai in mid-August? Has anyone ever asked him that question? If you wait another month maybe we save a million on cap, that matters.

Chia fails over and over again, the time for him to go is now. Perfect chance to move on.

Reactions: dawunderboy

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Well first that's pretty stupid.

The rudeness and hyperbole would be justified if the rest of your post provided thoughtful analysis.

Yeah. That shows you aren't paying that much attention.

2007-08 and 2008-09 Oilers teams were pretty solid. Just missed the playoffs in both years.

2011-12 and 2012-13 Oilers were trending in the right direction. Renney and Krueger were both fired far too soon. Tambo wasn't great, but his results were looking better than where Chia is right now.

Bottom line is this team would be middle of the pack compared to the ten teams in the decade of darkness. This team is worse than the four seasons I mentioned, clearly better than four first overall draft seasons with the other two seasons being debateable (06-07 and 11-12). The Oilers ended up in the low 70 some points those two years. If the Oilers go 34-34-1 the rest of this season they end up with 78 points.

This team isn't helpless every night.

This team isn't a helpless failure, it's a team who lack confidence and have played poorly.

This is a really bad team. The Oilers were only 'helpless' in about half the seasons during the decade of darkness. Not a great standard.

Reactions: harpoon

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Are you crazy? Of course there is no trophy for winning trades. Except there is a clear result for losing the vast majority of them.

Chia has won a single damn trade. Getting talbot. All his other moves were either humiliating losses (reinhart/eberle)/minor wins (kassian/maroon) or laterals AT BEST (pouliot buyout/hall larsson trade). Not to mention his insane contract signings. This is a guy who only pays extra for everything (LUCIC BUYOUT PROOF 7 YEAR DEAL)

How has he made this team better? One abnormal year from Talbot? Hes irrecoverably crippled this team from a cap issue for years.
Maroon and Kassian deals are not 'minor wins,' they're huge victories. They got a 30 goal scoring winger for a busted prospect and a 4th, and one of the best 4th miners in the league for an AHL caliber goalie.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maroon and Kassian deals are not 'minor wins,' they're huge victories. They got a 30 goal scoring winger for a busted prospect and a 4th, and one of the best 4th miners in the league for an AHL caliber goalie.

Maroon deal is a huge win.

Disagree on Kassian. Fourth liner is fourth liner (even if you call it a miner) :D. Minor win is accurate, even if Kassian is middle of the pack for fourth line RWers in the NHL this season.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

They are minor wins. Acquiring a 4th liner is something that can usually be done for no assets regardless of whats the discarded garbage (scrivens). Maroon plays with Mcdavid. Lets see him put up 30 goals with any non elite generational centre in the league.

He was even a dud with Getzlaf.

Kassian and Maroon were wins but dont kid yourself. These trades compare nothing to the Milburyesque disasters that are the Lucic contract and Reinhart trade.

Basically 2 steps forward 10 steps back - net -8.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
They are minor wins. Acquiring a 4th liner is something that can usually be done for no assets regardless of how garbage (scrivens). Maroon plays with Mcdavid. Lets see him put up 30 goals with any non elite generational centre in the league.

He was even a dud with Getzlaf.

Kassian and Maroon were wins but dont kid yourself they compare nothing to the Milburyesque disasters that are the Lucic contract and Reinhart trade.

Basically 2 steps forward 10 steps back - net -8.
Acquiring 4th liners can be done for little, but good one cost. Look what the Isles paid to get Clutterbuck or what the Leafs paid Matt Martin as a free agent. And to further that, I've seen sooooo many people wanting to play Kassian up the lineup that there's definitely an argument to be made that he's more than just a 4th liner. But now that it doesn't fit people's agenda he's a dime a dozen type player who can easily be acquired apparently.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Two players who completely changed the dynamic of the team. Add the additions of Larsson and Lucic as well. The Oilers are no longer the leagues punching bag. That is how you build a TEAM.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Because 'the construct' of this team is exactly as it was last season besides the Eberle trade. As I've said over and over and over since the summer...the RW slot had to be filled. Strome should've been the DD replacement. I'm not letting Chiarelli off the hook in that aspect. I expect Josh Leivo in Oilers silks tomorrow. But no, Peter Chiarelli or Todd McLellan should not be 'feeling the heat'. It's been 13 games.

Except last year's team needed a perfect storm of perfect health and McDavid/Talbot going supernova to end up where it did. Chia took a team that caught all the breaks and downgraded the roster significantly, leaving no safety net should luck turn against them (which it has). Now, I don't think they are as bad as their record (anymore than they were as good as their record last season), but the flaws were there.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Did you just say maroon was a minor win? Is that a joke?
A 4th and a bust for a 27 goal scorer, and getting them to retain 25%

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Two players who completely changed the dynamic of the team. Add the additions of Larsson and Lucic as well. The Oilers are no longer the leagues punching bag. That is how you build a TEAM.

Maroon is found money, I'd be shocked if the GM expected him to pay off the way he has (remember that 1LW spot was supposed to be Lucic's). Kassian is fine, good PKer but his tendency to take stupid penalties makes Pouliot look like a saint. Larrsson is ok, but he wasn't worth the price. And Lucic? Lucic is probably the biggest mistake Chia's made, just an absolute dud.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You mean the team that is currently where teams go when they want to recover from a big loss? Or opposing goalies love to play to pad their stats?

Yeah we don't get pushed around or beat up anymore on top of losing. Now we just lose

Reactions: Consultant

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

That’s great but the team still can’t score and you can’t win if you can’t find the back of the net. Last year they relied heavily on the top line and talbot. Nothing has changed in terms of the rest producing except now talbot has been average to terrible.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kassian is no major win, dude has like 10 goals for the Oilers in like 128 games now. Pitlick had 10 goals in his last 48 games as an Oiler.

He is overpaid at $1.9 million quite honestly. Maroon is a good deal, but that's the last really good deal Chiarelli has made for this team and that was in 2016.

Reactions: Consultant

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maroon is found money, I'd be shocked if the GM expected him to pay off the way he has (remember that 1LW spot was supposed to be Lucic's). Kassian is fine, good PKer but his tendency to take stupid penalties makes Pouliot look like a saint. Larrsson is ok, but he wasn't worth the price. And Lucic? Lucic is probably the biggest mistake Chia's made, just an absolute dud.
he had 50 points last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad