#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
This thread is premature. That said, only RNH and Klefbom are left from the team that finished up the 14-15 season. This is very much Chiarelli's team and he'll have to take responsibility if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: Bangers

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This thread is premature. That said, only RNH and Klefbom are left from the team that finished up the 14-15 season. This is very much Chiarelli's team and he'll have to take responsibility if it doesn't work out.

It's the lowest scoring team in the NHL *with* Connor McDavid on it, the reigning Art Ross trophy winner.

This isn't a faint bad odor .... this is there's a giant fridge full of rotting food that's stinking up the entire house now.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Paul Fenton from Nashville would be a good choice. Honestly don't need Einstein, there is still McDavid + Draisaitl here. Just someone who's not going to do something stupid and continually trade players and is averse to skill on the team.
Sure, what if he doesn't want to take this position though? We can't just assume he wants too because we have McDavid haha. Wait until someone decent come loose then think about it.
He's not MacLowe where any replacement would have been better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure, what if he doesn't want to take this position though? We can't just assume he wants too because we have McDavid haha. Wait until someone decent come loose then think about it.
He's not MacLowe where any replacement would have been better.

There will be lots of people who want the position. There are lots of guys like Fenton who have paid their dues for years and aren't going to get the GM job at the franchise they work for any time soon because of the guy ahead of them.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There will be lots of people who want the position. There are lots of guys like Fenton who have paid their dues for years and aren't going to get the GM job at the franchise they work for any time soon because of the guy ahead of them.
I understand, I just think it would be risky to just can him while assuming the proper candidate is out and about and willing to sign with us. That's my only worry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I understand, I just think it would be risky to just can him while assuming the proper candidate is out and about and willing to sign with us. That's my only worry.

If they don't make the playoffs, can him in April, and immediately begin the interviewing process. Then let the new hire prep for the draft.

It's how it works on any team. Bob Nicholson has extensive contacts within the hockey community, he will have no problems getting people to return his phone call.

Being a GM is a huge honor ... it's not something you need to push hard to find candidates for, pretty much every successful franchise has 2-3 guys who have been toiling for years there without getting their shot.

You get millions upon millions of dollars to manage a ice hockey team ... with Connor McDavid on it. There will be no shortage of applicants. It's the highest paid position in the NHL with the least amount of work other than maybe Bettman's job. Unlike coaches you don't have to travel and be at every game, practice, morning skate.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I've never wanted to hire Chia and was against it from the very beginning. So obviously in still against him. Win or lose won't change my opinion. We will not win a cup under Chia.
Again an average NHL gm could have done what he did and likely without ruining our cap as well as losing value on many trades.

Also, what's up with calling other posters "bandwagoners" and "fair weather fans" because they disagree with your opinion? Stop drinking the koolaid, judge the situation from an unbiased pov. You'll see what we see, a golden opportunity being squandered by an incompetent general manager.

Because the only reason these types of threads exist is because we hit a bad stretch of games. We're four games under 0.500 out of the gate. A bad game by McDavid paired with an aberration in Barzal's career spawned this thread. The Oilers start this year 8-4, this thread doesn't exist. That, my friend, is some kind of coincidence.

It's not about differing opinions, because trust me, there are many. It's about our fan-base in particular having a contingent of very vocal, sensitive fans who are quick to lay blame at the feet of whichever person fits their narrative.

I've already said it before...we're not doing as poorly as some seem to think. But instead of anyone fielding that response, the popular topic is 'the sky is falling' and 'I still can't believe we traded Taylor Hall'.

And I must say, the uprising here blames him for trading away Hall and Eberle and you're calling him out for 'ruining the cap'. Which is it? You do realize those two moves alleviated cap, right? :scared:

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because the only reason these types of threads exist is because we hit a bad stretch of games. We're four games under 0.500 out of the gate. A bad game by McDavid paired with an aberration in Barzal's career spawned this thread. The Oilers start this year 8-4, this thread doesn't exist. That, my friend, is some kind of coincidence.

It's not about differing opinions, because trust me, there are many. It's about our fan-base in particular having a contingent of very vocal, sensitive fans who are quick to lay blame at the feet of whichever person fits their narrative.

I've already said it before...we're not doing as poorly as some seem to think. But instead of anyone fielding that response, the popular topic is 'the sky is falling' and 'I still can't believe we traded Taylor Hall'.

And I must say, the uprising here blames him for trading away Hall and Eberle and you're calling him out for 'ruining the cap'. Which is it? You do realize those two moves alleviated cap, right? :scared:

But they're not ... 8-4? Quite frankly they don't deserve to be either.

They are the lowest scoring team in the NHL with Connor McDavid having played every game for them. That's like getting to be James Bond for a week and still not being able to get laid.

There is something very wrong with the construction of the team and the construct of the team is one person primarily. Why should he not be feeling heat?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But they're not ... 8-4? Quite frankly they don't deserve to be either.

They are the lowest scoring team in the NHL with Connor McDavid having played every game for them. That's like getting to be James Bond for a week and still not being able to get laid.

There is something very wrong with the construction of the team and the construct of the team is one person primarily. Why should he not be feeling heat?
Because 'the construct' of this team is exactly as it was last season besides the Eberle trade. As I've said over and over and over since the summer...the RW slot had to be filled. Strome should've been the DD replacement. I'm not letting Chiarelli off the hook in that aspect. I expect Josh Leivo in Oilers silks tomorrow. But no, Peter Chiarelli or Todd McLellan should not be 'feeling the heat'. It's been 13 games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because 'the construct' of this team is exactly as it was last season besides the Eberle trade. As I've said over and over and over since the summer...the RW slot had to be filled. Strome should've been the DD replacement. I'm not letting Chiarelli off the hook in that aspect. I expect Josh Leivo in Oilers silks tomorrow. But no, Peter Chiarelli or Todd McLellan should not be 'feeling the heat'. It's been 13 games.

This often happens to young teams that break out though. Other teams will study them over the summer.

The book on the Oilers is fairly simple ...

On the PP, the only guy who can shoot the puck is Letestu. Take that 4th liner away and basically their PP is left with McDavid trying to bank shots in off Maroon/Lucic/whoever's leg.

Wait for their D to make mistakes, because they make several predictable ones each game including ill-timed pinches that can be exploited for an almost automatic goal.

Don't really worry about anyone but the McDavid line. If RNH scores you live with it, but the rest of the Oilers can't beat you. Don't exert yourself on them.

13 games, yes but if they do not start picking up point on this road trip they may as well just not take the plane ride back to Edmonton. And that's 2/3 failed seasons for Chiarelli, that's enough to get most GMs fired, especially those who aren't former players of said franchise.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Stats of all Chia traded for and signed Forwards this season 87gp 11g 17a 28 pts $ 22.8 Million salary

Tyler Seguin, 5 seasons in Dallas.
Blake Wheeler, 6 seasons in Winnipeg
Phil 'the thrill' Kessel, 6 seasons in Toronto
Taylor Hall, one season in Jersey

18 full seasons of the four marquee players you mentioned that he traded away: 18 total playoff games played

:laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

18 full seasons of the four marquee players you mentioned that he traded away: 18 total playoff games played

Yeah so he has a tendancy to gift away huge talent to bad teams. That helps us how ... exactly? These aren't bad players, Kessel goes to Pittsburgh and brings them two Stanley Cups immediately.

Hall had a rough start in NJ, but this year he has led them to the best start in franchise history.

What's there to laugh about? We have an offence that is going to probably take a couple of years now to rebuild after 4 1st overall picks and a generational one and several other top ten picks. I don't find that funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBaevid

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This often happens to young teams that break out though. Other teams will study them over the summer.

The book on the Oilers is fairly simple ...

On the PP, the only guy who can shoot the puck is Letestu. Take that 4th liner away and basically their PP is left with McDavid trying to bank shots in off Maroon/Lucic/whoever's leg.

Wait for their D to make mistakes, because they make several predictable ones each game including ill-timed pinches that can be exploited for an almost automatic goal.

Don't really worry about anyone but the McDavid line. If RNH scores you live with it, but the rest of the Oilers can't beat you. Don't exert yourself on them.

13 games, yes but if they do not start picking up point on this road trip they may as well just not take the plane ride back to Edmonton. And that's 2/3 failed seasons for Chiarelli, that's enough to get most GMs fired, especially those who aren't former players of said franchise.
Actually I completely agree with this. The regular season is a completely different animal. You have to change on the fly and I haven't liked how long its taken McLellan to adjust his personnel. That being said the personnel eat a whole shit ton of the blame. I don't agree that our second line should be such a pushover. Milan Lucic should be a far better player than he's been. The entire bottom six has been downright pathetic. Some of them it's not for the lack of trying.

I'm actually surprised so many people expected a steady improvement though. It rarely happens that way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Actually I completely agree with this. The regular season is a completely different animal. You have to change on the fly and I haven't liked how long its taken McLellan to adjust his personnel. That being said the personnel eat a whole **** ton of the blame. I don't agree that our second line should be such a pushover. Milan Lucic should be a far better player than he's been. The entire bottom six has been downright pathetic. Some of them it's not for the lack of trying.

I'm actually surprised so many people expected a steady improvement though. It rarely happens that way.

Lucic sucks. Terrble contract to sign, he's actually negative on that Hall for Larsson trade because we got stuck with this horrid contract on top of losing Hall.

Massive loss for the franchise.

Team is not deep and does not have creativity, and that was pretty much the case with the Bruins after Chia gutted them. It's what he does. He builds slow, clunky teams that rely on "character" to will themselves to score. That can be studied and shut down.

You may not shut down McDavid (but you can slow him down), but you don't need to to shut down the Oilers PP. You just need to shut down Mark Letestu. Well, every team in the league can do that.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah so he has a tendancy to gift away huge talent to bad teams. That helps us how ... exactly? These aren't bad players, Kessel goes to Pittsburgh and brings them two Stanley Cups immediately.

Hall had a rough start in NJ, but this year he has led them to the best start in franchise history.

What's there to laugh about? We have an offence that is going to probably take a couple of years now to rebuild after 4 1st overall picks and a generational one and several other top ten picks. I don't find that funny.
I'm laughing about it because people use it as his ultimate crutch. All of these franchise forwards...mahgawd...he traded them all away. Well sometimes 'franchise forwards' are more individual talents than they are team players.

As for the 'rebuilt' offense...I'm not following. Were you expecting any GM to overhaul the defense, acquire a number one goaltender and keep a core of several 1st overall picks and a generational one too? That was never going to happen. The Oilers will continue on their way this season and a lot of the kinks will likely start to work themselves out. Hopefully before we start to play divisional games. The offense over time will likely see numerous personnel changes. Plug and play vets will be common practice when we've got $21m tied up in two players.

As for Hall...always loved the guy...but that Jersey team is kitteny soft. They will hit rock bottom eventually.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Phil Kessel huge in 2 cups but hey lets blame individuals on teams for playoff records. Point is try and follow along he trades high end skill for slow players and gets raked over by GM'S which probably get all excited when they see Chia calling , just like GM's would when Milbury rang them

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm laughing about it because people use it as his ultimate crutch. All of these franchise forwards...mahgawd...he traded them all away. Well sometimes 'franchise forwards' are more individual talents than they are team players.

As for the 'rebuilt' offense...I'm not following. Were you expecting any GM to overhaul the defense, acquire a number one goaltender and keep a core of several 1st overall picks and a generational one too? That was never going to happen. The Oilers will continue on their way this season and a lot of the kinks will likely start to work themselves out. Hopefully before we start to play divisional games. The offense over time will likely see numerous personnel changes. Plug and play vets will be common practice when we've got $21m tied up in two players.

As for Hall...always loved the guy...but that Jersey team is kitteny soft. They will hit rock bottom eventually.

I think there's a good chance the Oilers have offensive problems for a couple more years. The entire forward group outside of McDavid + Draisaitl will have to be rebuilt and we will likely have to wait for Yamamoto + Puljujarvi to develop into guys who can generate grade A chances on a nightly basis before we "solve" that problem.

That could accelerate if they go bonkers next year, but that's a lot to ask two kids who are that young. We are also likely to lose Patrick Maroon, so there's another 27-30 goals gone (thanks Lucic).

We don't have have any cap room in the near term and will have to wait for the cap to rise.

Outside of McDavid + Leon ... this is a thin group upfront and not much offensive creativity at all. That makes them an easy team to play against. Not having talent and creativity is not a mere "kink". That's a structural problem in your team that isn't going to self-resolve on its own.

Last edited:

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Hard to believe someone could trade Seguin, Hall and Eberle and get in return Larsson, Strome , Eriksson and Reilly Smith AND still be an NHL GM.

Reactions: McBaevid

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will add to my post above of course they will have stretches where they score and look good, but I think they will also be continually plagued by stretches like this one which are very ugly and scoring more than 2 goals/game is a gargantuan task for the group.

It will rear it's ugly head again and again until Yamamoto at least develops and maybe we can move Lucic in a few years and gain some flexibility in adding pieces. But you need a smart GM to add that piece, and I see little evidence that Chiarelli is that guy.

So I'm looking at this as a process that will require probably 2-3 years. Kailer needs time to adjust to the NHL and not just be able to "play", but to be able to impact a game in its end result, and that will require time. I'm less confident about Puljujarvi, think that's just a support player who if he's smart will ride McDavid's coat tails, but I sense a lot of stubbornness there not unlike Yakupov.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Didn't he get more for Kessel than the compensation was for a looming offer sheet? Seems so long ago. Anywho I like Chai. Anyone that can wear that mustache has ballz.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Phil Kessel huge in 2 cups but hey lets blame individuals on teams for playoff records. Point is try and follow along he trades high end skill for slow players and gets raked over by GM'S which probably get all excited when they see Chia calling , just like GM's would when Milbury rang them
2 cups...in Toronto? Nope. They got rid of him.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think there's a good chance the Oilers have offensive problems for a couple more years. The entire forward group outside of McDavid + Draisaitl will have to be rebuilt and we will likely have to wait for Yamamoto + Puljujarvi to develop into guys who can generate grade A chances on a nightly basis before we "solve" that problem.

That could accelerate if they go bonkers next year, but that's a lot to ask two kids who are that young. We are also likely to lose Patrick Maroon, so there's another 27-30 goals gone (thanks Lucic).

We don't have have any cap room in the near term and will have to wait for the cap to rise.

Outside of McDavid + Leon ... this is a thin group upfront and not much offensive creativity at all. That makes them an easy team to play against. Not having talent and creativity is not a mere "kink". That's a structural problem in your team that isn't going to self-resolve on its own.

I'm not certain why you think Maroon is going or why you think 27 goals are gone if he does. Those goals belong to McDavid. If Maroon walks, you can be certain they'll find a winger to replace that production.

The thing is...I'm halfway there with you. I agree this roster is lacking in scoring threats and was at the beginning of the season. There is an abundance of filler players on this roster and its a tad concerning they expected some of these guys to be more than that. But no, I don't agree 'Lucic sucks'. I also don't believe Strome does either. There are a substantial number of players severely underperforming thus far and I expect many of them to bounce back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not certain why you think Maroon is going or why you think 27 goals are gone if he does. Those goals belong to McDavid. If Maroon walks, you can be certain they'll find a winger to replace that production.

The thing is...I'm halfway there with you. I agree this roster is lacking in scoring threats and was at the beginning of the season. There is an abundance of filler players on this roster and its a tad concerning they expected some of these guys to be more than that. But no, I don't agree 'Lucic sucks'. I also don't believe Strome does either. There are a substantial number of players severely underperforming thus far and I expect many of them to bounce back.

I've crunched cap numbers more than anyone I think on this board. They don't have the money to replace Maroon and he is playing himself out of the max $4 mill per that the Oilers can really afford to pay him.

Likely next year you are looking at

Caggiula McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic RNH Yamamoto
UFA Strome Puljujarvi
Slepyshev Malone Kassian

Likely this will take a couple of years to fix and reshape into a real offensive team ... and this is Chiarelli's fault. He was given ample assets to ensure this never happened, but basically we are likely going to have to wait for Yamamoto now at least.

We don't have any cap room in the summer to fix this so some massive UFA coming in here isn't going to happen. This team will struggle to score goals in very ugly stretches. It's happening now and it will happen again, several more times for stretches as well. That's just the team Chiarelli has built.

This will require patience now to fix, I think probably 2-3 years, when McDavid 23/24 they will have an actual proper team around him if they do things the right way, but there is equally the possibility that Chiarelli will continue to screw things up if he's allowed to stay.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
2 cups...in Toronto? Nope. They got rid of him.

The point is...Chiarelli has two Cup rings blocking his ears when you try to mention those trades that he lost. The goal of an NHL GM is to build a Cup winning TEAM. You don't do that by hanging on to all your favourite players unfortunately.
So what he still won them and 2 rings pretty sure it's only one from a hot goaltending. He left the Bruins high and dry has made us the slowest forward group in the league with players who can' score or have speed enough to defend. He loves his turtle players he values size over skill and speed which is exactly where the league is headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad