Post-Game Talk: #FireBabcock - Leafs Lose 4-0 to the Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvenMittz*

Why is it that so many are convinced that players can't develop in the NHL with the supposed best and most expensive coach ever?

I'm certain that if Larkin was Leaf property he would have been sent to the AHL or CHL, Larkin has NHL talent that needs to be developed in the NHL, time in the AHL for him would be a waste as it might be for Brown and Nylander.

I thought it very interesting that Blashill first acted as Babs' ass. coach before being sent to the AHL to coach Detroit's AHL team. This makes sense to me, Blashill first learned Babs' systems then teaches/uses Babs' systems in the AHL so graduating players are prepared to play the Babs' way. This would be a far easier transition and an innovative system wide integration of prospects.

:facepalm:

Actually Babcock said it himself, the NHL isn't a development league, but besides that.. your comparisons are apples and oranges. Let me explain why

Are the Detroit Redwings rebuliding ? No
Does the Detriot Redwings have a bad team? No
Does Larkin have quality players to play with? Yes
Do they have the talent to compete for the stanley cup? Yes

So you kinda see where i'm going with this. We are... REBUILDING. We are trying to grow our kids together, also grow them in a winning environment (which is huge, very under rated) and in the mean time, acquire picks and build an even bigger prospect pool. And then bring the kids up while developing more talent in the AHL. Also the marlies are STACKED this year, why take them away from a Calder Cup run?

We have evidence of this being a mistake, with the Oilers.. they were rebuilding team with no patience. And now they are considered a prospect graveyard by some.. Let them learn a winning culture in an Adult league then come up when they are ready after playing quality minutes and learning a proper system.. you know how we do that..?

PATIENCE!

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
its still super early, but as season goes on and the leafs are at or near bottom on the nhl, and 1 year roster fillers like boyes, PA, arcobello, grabner, even matthias and spaling are on 20-30pt or worse paces...we should be seeing roster moves for sure, and if guys in A are at or near PPG seasons, they will get looks with the club...even getting 5-10 games of nhl experience before heading into another summer of offseason training is huge for a young prospect...you'll get a better idea of what u gotta work on in during off season training while ur playing in the big league as well, its always great idea especially late in the year...but thats many months away.....gotta ride a lot more ugly games out before we can see that

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
With the Detroit Red Wings scoring three goals past Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier within the first 21 minutes of Detroit’s home opener at Joe Louis Arena on Friday night, the Twitter account of ex-Wing Mike Commodore hammered Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock with an obscenity-laced tweet.

According to the Toronto Sun, Mike Commodore has publicly slagged Babcock in the past. There is history here.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/0...rip-maple-leafs-coach-mike-babcock-on-twitter

Back in 2013, in an interview with KHL.HR, Commodore lashed out at Babcock, saying “I don’t trust him.”

Added Commodore at the time: “This coach screwed me over nine years ago. He buried me in the paper after I had a good camp in Anaheim. He buried me so I would look bad so he could then play his boy from juniors who was an undrafted rookie at camp that year ... Kurt Sauer.”

After Commodore ended up signing with the Wings, he became frustrated at Babcock consistently making him a healthy scratch. He played just 17 games for Detroit during the 2011-12 season.

Said Commodore to KHL.HR: “The only time I touched the ice was when the fourth line was on, and the faceoff was in the neutral zone. I was opening the doors for (Nicklas) Lidstrom, that’s all I was doing, being a cheerleader.”

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Anyone have a count of how many times Hughson and Healy mentioned Dylan Larkin tonight?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
ice-time looks fairly evenly spread out, interesting.

Guys ride it out, we're a team of mainly rejects from other teams, a few young guys, and a few leftovers from the old core like JVR/Lupul/Phaneuf so embrace the probable tank this year.

Also, didn't these post-game threads used to be a lot bigger?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Tonight wasnt that bad, This team just isnt that good to put the puck in the net. They are playing pretty well defensively and are defiantely buying into babcocks system. I say if reimer started it'd be a 2-0 game not 4-0. I like that they are buying into the system though so that a few years down the road when the talented prospects come to play, their is a system in place. Btw The shots were even at 22 apiece.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
But i'd also like to add, i really hope we get matthews and think we are deffs a lottery team

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Why?

why do i constantly read your posts and get so much impatience from you, this is EXACTLY why the leafs are in the position that they're in today, because nobody had patience. Let Nylander develop in the minors, If hes going to get brought up its for 9games as a treat and thats all. Even after the TDL, why take him away from a calder cup run to join this mess?? I don't understand the way fans like you think (no offense) its crazy... this is the 1st full season of our rebuild and ALREADY we are hearing fans talking about bringing prospects up..

Why?

Of course he well help the team look better, but a 19yr won't make this team a Stanely cup winner? Right now we don't care about the leafs, we care about our prospects... keeping him down, playing his position, growing his confidence playing against men on an actual good team and go for a Calder run will do SO MUCH better for our prospects then throwing them into this disaster of a team.

PATIENCE! (not just you but the small amount that i've also read that want prospects to be brought up).

We want a Dynasty not a bubble team! and we are finally on the right path, why change it?

Exactly, Nylander isn't ready yet, let's not rush him.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
lets try

jvr kadri lupul - most talent on line 1, our 3 best and most skilled players

leo matthias winnik - crazy hustle, cycle, board work, forecheck line

holland bozak boyes - our next most skilled 3 i guess

grabner/pa spaling arcobello - the scrubs

91Kadri91*

You have to give credit some players are playing catch with the keeper, getting some advanced stats in the bank.

Just keep throwing those JBlake shots towards the net to get the advanced stats crowd in your corner.

Scoring chances are measured, and used, by 'the advanced stats crowd'.

Try again.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Commodore et al...Shut up, lol.Please.Forever.

"Pain is coming". We have a compromised squad. A new coach. A proven winner. The best front office in the history of this club and a prospects cupboard stocked as full as it's been in years. Every conceivable explanation and preface to the next couple of developmental seasons provided in our media savvy/hungry "nation" and the same tired insecurities and complaints lurch forward.

The real virtue that's going to save this franchise through Babcock is going to be temperance.

He's going to continue repeating the message people are already forgetting. And it's going to be his character of balance, diligence and temperance that's eventually going to produce a mentally tough squad that happens to be skilled, albeit, presently appropriately developing with the Marlies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
With the Detroit Red Wings scoring three goals past Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier within the first 21 minutes of Detroit’s home opener at Joe Louis Arena on Friday night, the Twitter account of ex-Wing Mike Commodore hammered Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock with an obscenity-laced tweet.

According to the Toronto Sun, Mike Commodore has publicly slagged Babcock in the past. There is history here.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/0...rip-maple-leafs-coach-mike-babcock-on-twitter

Back in 2013, in an interview with KHL.HR, Commodore lashed out at Babcock, saying “I don’t trust him.”

Added Commodore at the time: “This coach screwed me over nine years ago. He buried me in the paper after I had a good camp in Anaheim. He buried [me so I would look bad so he could then play his boy from juniors who was an undrafted rookie at camp that year ... Kurt Sauer.”

After Commodore ended up signing with the Wings, he became frustrated at Babcock consistently making him a healthy scratch. He played just 17 games for Detroit during the 2011-12 season.

Said Commodore to KHL.HR: “The only time I touched the ice was when the fourth line was on, and the faceoff was in the neutral zone. I was opening the doors for (Nicklas) Lidstrom, that’s all I was doing, being a cheerleader.”

You were lucky to be doing that even, and that a team like Detroit would go anywhere near you. I mean the level of entitlement in these comments is hilarious.

Here's an idea Mike, stop taking pictures like this http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/76/files/2011/07/Commodore-Make-It-Rain.jpg and ranting on twitter like some pissed off teenager; go get yourself in shape and stop blaming other people(specifically one of the best coaches in the world) why you're/were just a very mediocre defensemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
You were lucky to be doing that even, and that a team like Detroit would go anywhere near you. I mean the level of entitlement in these comments is hilarious.

Here's an idea Mike, stop taking pictures like this http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/76/files/2011/07/Commodore-Make-It-Rain.jpg and ranting on twitter like some pissed off teenager; go get yourself in shape and stop blaming other people(specifically one of the best coaches in the world) why you're/were just a very mediocre defensemen.

His room looks just like mine.

When I was 16 and lived in my parents basement.

Actually scratch that, I never had flowers on my curtains.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Commodore et al...Shut up, lol.Please.Forever.

"Pain is coming". We have a compromised squad. A new coach. A proven winner. The best front office in the history of this club and a prospects cupboard stocked as full as it's been in years. Every conceivable explanation and preface to the next couple of developmental seasons provided in our media savvy/hungry "nation" and the same tired insecurities and complaints lurch forward.

The real virtue that's going to save this franchise through Babcock is going to be temperance.

He's going to continue repeating the message people are already forgetting. And it's going to be his character of balance, diligence and temperance that's eventually going to produce a mentally tough squad that happens to be skilled, albeit, presently appropriately developing with the Marlies.

Temperance?

Are we worried that the Leafs are going to drive Babcock to the drink?

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
Anyone have a count of how many times Hughson and Healy mentioned Dylan Larkin tonight?

It was brutal. He's a good player, that much was obvious after 5 minutes of watching. They just wouldn't shut up about it like I was watching a Justin beiber fan club or something.

I ended up switching the stream over to the red wings feed where they talked about him far less, and actually spent more time talking about leafs players. It was a more enjoyable experience for sure.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
It was brutal. He's a good player, that much was obvious after 5 minutes of watching. They just wouldn't shut up about it like I was watching a Justin beiber fan club or something.

I ended up switching the stream over to the red wings feed where they talked about him far less, and actually spent more time talking about leafs players. It was a more enjoyable experience for sure.

That's one of the worst things about that broadcasting crew (I know, pick 'em, there's a lot things to dislike) - they pick their topic of the evening and beat to death - Price is awesome; Subban is awesome; Erik Karlsson is Jesus reborn, Leo Komarov speaks five languages, on and on and on. I wish they'd just call the game, and quit thinking that they're journalists reporting the story of the evening.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

I couldn't take the commentators any longer and found an American stream too. I will likely being doing that all season

Listening to the Baseball guys then after the hockey guys, the baseball commentators know how to call a game. The hockey guys know how to swing from the nuts of the most popular player on the ice and not stop until it is nauseating.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This team has to stop the neutral zone turnovers on stupid passes.

How many odd-man rushes where there because a Leaf instead of looking for an outlet, forced the play and turned it over trying to jam a pass through a crowd of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad