Post-Game Talk: #FireBabcock - Leafs Lose 4-0 to the Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I know these guys know more hockey than me and most fans, so what do they see in Bozak that I don't? Why is he the most used forward on our team after 2 games? Almost every other shift, I see him out there. Drives me nuts

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know these guys know more hockey than me and most fans, so what do they see in Bozak that I don't? Why is he the most used forward on our team after 2 games? Almost every other shift, I see him out there. Drives me nuts

Who are you referring to?

It does seem like a reasonable question. I'm curious as well.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Out of the top 3 most hated Leafs players, I think I dislike him the least.

Phaneuf shouldn't even be in the vicinity of making the money he makes. He's slow, and doesn't have his bread and butter shot like he used to in Calgary. Still to this day, I can't figure out how a player can lose that.

Lupul is a 2nd liner at best, and he's not very responsible with the puck. Not a core player at all.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Bozak is pretty much junk status. There is nothing to see at all with that waste... The 1C that never was.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
well draft mathews ,sign stamkos and there u go ,crappy year u get yout next captain and 2 superstars ,then u watch it develop ,the marlies seem to handle the power play better already until bozak and lupul buy in this may never beat anyone .
the real perspective is how crappy nonis /burke regime really was .

? Translation.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Tough game last night, as the team looked brutal. What happened to our possession game? Hold on to the puck and wear the other team down. We kept giving it up. We also couldn't get a save when we needed it. Not just the goalies fault, everyone is to blame.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Babcock, and Carlyle before him.

I'm only wondering about this season, I don't care what Carlyle was thinking.

Trying to showcase him for a trade

Yeah but there's no need play him so much to do that. He might look better with less minutes in a different role. Oh well, it's only been 2 games, I'd be surprised if he's still leading our forwards in ice-time 10 games from now, we'll see what happens.

Tough game last night, as the team looked brutal. What happened to our possession game? Hold on to the puck and wear the other team down. We kept giving it up. We also couldn't get a save when we needed it. Not just the goalies fault, everyone is to blame.

It's going to take time. People who expected the arrival of Babcock to make us a playoff team overnight were dreaming.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
It's going to take time. People who expected the arrival of Babcock to make us a playoff team overnight were dreaming.

I agree with ya there. Don't expect the playoffs this year in the slightest bit. But at least try to play your game and put the effort in. We looked totally lost last night. Complete contrast to Wednesday night.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
This is a bad team. They are going to have a bad record. You thought GF/GA looked grim when Kessel's line was minus whatever? At least they made up for it on the PP.

What the Leafs have now is a good AHL team, don't let the big names off the ice convince you otherwise. Neither of our goalies are the quality starters they once looked like, that's going to hurt a lot. We have but a single top-line offensive threat (JVR), and not even one legitimate first pairing defenseman. It's going to be a very long season if you're hoping for a bunch of pleasant surprises.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Trying to showcase him for a trade

Bingo. That's what I'd put my money on. Babs is trying to put him in a position to succeed so he can rack up some points, gain some value and the Leafs can move him. Unfortunately he's failing miserably and is not racking up points and is certainly not gaining value.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was barely able to watch the game as Gamecenter Live didn't put it up until just now, and I couldn't keep both eyes on the game. Horrible game though.

Funniest thing was the Detroit announcers. Apparently Larkin is as good of a prospect as McDavid.

It was like reading the Mitch Marner thread ... if only Marner was 2 inches and 25 lbs. bigger he'd challenge McDavid.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

Detroit has historically been a strong possession team, it's been ingrained in all their players for years. With that said, despite the score, the Leafs were pretty even in possession numbers which is promising considering they were a much bigger challenge than Montreal.

I think with a little luck the game could have easily ended 2-1 (for Detroit) instead of 4-0.

I expect them to look a lot better vs Ottawa tonight.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Detroit has historically been a strong possession team, it's been ingrained in all their players for years. With that said, despite the score, the Leafs were pretty even in possession numbers which is promising considering they were a much bigger challenge than Montreal.

I think with a little luck the game could have easily ended 2-1 (for Detroit) instead of 4-0.

Valid points but thought Detroit was much stronger than us with the puck. I hope we can get to the level were its expected of us to dominate the puck. A lot of hard work ahead to get there.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

Very true, NOBODY sees the big picture here. YES we lost 4 to 0, BUT, we were NOT out--possessed our out - Corsied - that really does show improvement. AND, we were like nearly the worst possession team last year, playing against a very good possession team with pretty much ALL new line combos, new coach, new system, and considering all that, I'd say it was not bad; as MB says, it's a process - one day at a time, and let's be better tomorrow.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It takes being a big homer too to be bothered by another team's broadcasters being enthusiastic about their own young player. Larkin looked very good. He did look closer to the McDavid/Eichel level than I ever imagined he'd be. And he's merely 6 months older than McDavid and 5 months older than Eichel. Still, Nylander had 9 SOG last night. He's looking good himself.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
It takes being a big homer too to be bothered by another team's broadcasters being enthusiastic about their own young player. Larkin looked very good. He did look closer to the McDavid/Eichel level than I ever imagined he'd be. And he's merely 6 months older than McDavid and 5 months older than Eichel. Still, Nylander had 9 SOG last night. He's looking good himself.

Both Nylander and Brown should be playing with the Leafs. Better late than never.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

So I'm a homer? First time I've been called that.

Also, I never mentioned Nylander and I love Larkin. Wrong is still wrong.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Who are you referring to?

It does seem like a reasonable question. I'm curious as well.

It looks like you answered the question ...

I don't believe there is a poster here that knows more about the players than does the coach (or previous coaches).

Obviously, they aren't perfect, but if I were to honestly look at who I put more faith in it wouldn't be fans on a fanboard, even though I'm like you ignorant of the reasoning.

But earth to hockeysfuture ... they do know more than we do.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Both Nylander and Brown should be playing with the Leafs. Better late than never.

I see it this way, Babcock would like to establish a new "culture" and exposing Nylander etc. to the gong show we have now isn't good for their development. Once the guys on the roster learn the system, everybody's on the same page etc., then we can bring up the prospects who are deemed ready.

Of course if Babs get's frustrated with the guys we have and finds that can't get things established the way he wants, it's possible that we will trade, banish to the press box, demote to the Marlies etc. some guys and only then, guys like Nylander will get called up and he'll try to establish things with them. He would have to be pretty desperate for that to happen, it's going to take a lot more than a handful of games before he gives up on the guys we have now.

JMHO.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah. If we're going to have a substantial amount of games looking like last night, I wouldn't want Nylander in the middle of that. Get him up when we can put him in a position to succeed, not in a position to be isolated in a gong show of panicking players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad