Post-Game Talk: #FireBabcock - Leafs Lose 4-0 to the Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I see it this way, Babcock would like to establish a new "culture" and exposing Nylander etc. to the gong show we have now isn't good for their development. Once the guys on the roster learn the system, everybody's on the same page etc., then we can bring up the prospects who are deemed ready.

Of course if Babs get's frustrated with the guys we have and finds that can't get things established the way he wants, it's possible that we will trade, banish to the press box, demote to the Marlies etc. some guys and only then, guys like Nylander will get called up and he'll try to establish things with them. He would have to be pretty desperate for that to happen, it's going to take a lot more than a handful of games before he gives up on the guys we have now.

JMHO.

That could be it. Hopefully it happens soon. If guys are not getting the message than see them to the door.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Looking at our lineup is saddening. For how many times we have missed the playoffs we should be in a much better position than we are now. We still have lots of bad contracts on the books and not enough good young players playing right now. Bad spot all around.
For tonight I hope we get back to playing a strong possession game like we did on Wednesday. If you are going to lose at least make the other team work for it.

Brian Burke and Dave Nonis should be banned from ever stepping foot in this city. They are both largely responsible for what we are seeing right now. When he was at the Jays game the other day, he should have been booed mercilessly.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Brian Burke and Dave Nonis should be banned from ever stepping foot in this city. They are both largely responsible for what we are seeing right now. When he was at the Jays game the other day, he should have been booed mercilessly.

I %100 agree. They set us far back by trying to half ass it.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Brian Burke is a legend to some people in this forum. So many defended this guy tooth and nail and repeatedly said he did and would of done a good job if he had more time.

Yeah, he's legendary alright. Legendarily bad.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Yeah. If we're going to have a substantial amount of games looking like last night, I wouldn't want Nylander in the middle of that. Get him up when we can put him in a position to succeed, not in a position to be isolated in a gong show of panicking players.

Wait til after US Thanksgiving - when the trades start to happen ... that Dressing room is going to be one tense place with every player wondering who has to move their family next ... rough situation to develop in - NHL or not.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Brian Burke is a legend to some people in this forum. So many defended this guy tooth and nail and repeatedly said he did and would of done a good job if he had more time.

Yeah, he's legendary alright. Legendarily bad.

still now, people feel that had Burke had more time, it would have been okay.
pft.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
still now, people feel that had Burke had more time, it would have been okay.
pft.

At this point the teams a gong show. If I had it my way your TML would be...

Rielly
Jake
Komarov
Kadri (for evaluation)

I could care less about anyone else on this team going forward.

OvenMittz*

That could be it. Hopefully it happens soon. If guys are not getting the message than see them to the door.

Even after the deadline i wouldn't want Nylander or any of our pieces up here. They will be in a good playoff run with a strong team and already built chemistry. It won't help the team for him to come up either. Sure some NHL time experience great and all (its not like he isn't use to playing against men already) but being in a playoff atmosphere in any level is 10x better for his development and have him playing in meaningful games that hes earned down there is where i and most likely management would want him to be.

I wouldn't mind him up for a game here and there as a treat, just so he has a taste and showcase some skill, but nothing more than 9 games. that goes for anybody in the Marlies unless its Frattin to fill an NHL hole till the end of the season. I feel for our prospects their number 1 priority is to concentrate on the Calder Cup, and not lose focus. Taking that with them over to the NHL is HUGE!! just look at some of the prospects who have won in that level and come up, they believe they are winners.. and thats when you see full ceiling talent being hit.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Even after the deadline i wouldn't want Nylander or any of our pieces up here. They will be in a good playoff run with a strong team and already built chemistry. It won't help the team for him to come up either. Sure some NHL time experience great and all (its not like he isn't use to playing against men already) but being in a playoff atmosphere in any level is 10x better for his development and have him playing in meaningful games that hes earned down there is where i and most likely management would want him to be.

I wouldn't mind him up for a game here and there as a treat, just so he has a taste and showcase some skill, but nothing more than 9 games. that goes for anybody in the Marlies unless its Frattin to fill an NHL hole till the end of the season. I feel for our prospects their number 1 priority is to concentrate on the Calder Cup, and not lose focus. Taking that with them over to the NHL is HUGE!! just look at some of the prospects who have won in that level and come up, they believe they are winners.. and thats when you see full ceiling talent being hit.

There have been countless players that are successful in the NHL that haven't won the Calder Cup. Think you might be overrating it a bit much. Is it good thing to achieve, sure, is it necessary, absolutely not. I'm sure if you ask any player they would gladly walk away from a chance of winning the CC, to play in the NHL. If ready, it is better to play against tougher competition that will challenge you more. I'm all for keeping a guy that is not ready in the AHL. But if he is ready, than don't hold him back, just so he might win a championship at a lower level. Might not just be about the team, might also include rewarding a player who has earned his advancement.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wait til after US Thanksgiving - when the trades start to happen ... that Dressing room is going to be one tense place with every player wondering who has to move their family next ... rough situation to develop in - NHL or not.

That's kind of like a minor inconvenience compared to all the Oil Patch workers wondering when the next round of layoffs are coming with no money included.

Guess paying attention so you don't lose a body part at the well is a bigger motivator than not getting playing time!

These guys have guaranteed contracts if they're worried they have some time to show it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

The Marlies should be in a playoffs run ... like the Kings should have been in a playoffs run last year.

Personally, I'm not sure I buy the must develop in the AHL rhutaba we're being fed. I think it is just "not ready" without dropping the masher down on it.

OvenMittz*

There have been countless players that are successful in the NHL that haven't won the Calder Cup. Think you might be overrating it a bit much. Is it good thing to achieve, sure, is it necessary, absolutely not. I'm sure if you ask any player they would gladly walk away from a chance of winning the CC, to play in the NHL. If ready, it is better to play against tougher competition that will challenge you more. I'm all for keeping a guy that is not ready in the AHL. But if he is ready, than don't hold him back, just so he might win a championship at a lower level. Might not just be about the team, might also include rewarding a player who has earned his advancement.

Of course there are good players that haven't won a Calder? but lets not downplay how important it will be to win one for a players development. I'm not saying he needs to stay until he wins one.

Also if you asked ANY player at ANY level if they would prefer to play at their level or the NHL they would obviously pick the NHL. The money is in the NHL nobody is going to turn that down, but we are looking in terms of franchise needs and player development.

Taking him away from a playoff run and throwing him into a horrible NHL team, how does that help out anybody? He won't be brought up and it will be for the better.

We want patience. Also lets not pretend that all of a sudden this fanbase cares for what our players have earned in terms of their own wallet, since every time we bring in a player too soon and he fails or looks bad we run them out of town and then point fingers at our management that we ruined their development by bringing them in to early. (Luke Schenn)

We are doing things different now, no quick fixes.. they grow together and earn the way to get a "taste" of the NHL for now.. he won't be sticking with this mess.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Of course there are good players that haven't won a Calder? but lets not downplay how important it will be to win one for a players development. I'm not saying he needs to stay until he wins one.

Also if you asked ANY player at ANY level if they would prefer to play at their level or the NHL they would obviously pick the NHL. The money is in the NHL nobody is going to turn that down, but we are looking in terms of franchise needs and player development.

Taking him away from a playoff run and throwing him into a horrible NHL team, how does that help out anybody? He won't be brought up and it will be for the better.

We want patience. Also lets not pretend that all of a sudden this fanbase cares for what our players have earned in terms of their own wallet, since every time we bring in a player too soon and he fails or looks bad we run them out of town and then point fingers at our management that we ruined their development by bringing them in to early. (Luke Schenn)

We are doing things different now, no quick fixes.. they grow together and earn the way to get a "taste" of the NHL for now.. he won't be sticking with this mess.

We shall see how it goes. Got to come up at some point.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
We look horrible. Dion looks very slow, and at least 3 times, a player was able to skate right around him like a pylon.

On the plus, Marlies looking pretty good, highly skilled team. I like they are trying to implement the Babcock system there as well. Nylander is a gem.....

Knights also looking good, with Marner really being a real leader out there. Feisty as hell this year. IF they gave out 3 assists, Marner would have 5 more points..... His entire line is so dominate it is scary... on both ends of the ice.

Great night, Marlies in the afternoon and the Leafs and Knights tonight! :handclap:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
At this point the teams a gong show. If I had it my way your TML would be...

Rielly
Jake
Komarov
Kadri (for evaluation)

I could care less about anyone else on this team going forward.

Don't look now, but those guys are here because of Burke!

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
On the one hand I'm really happy that the leafs are FINALLY starting a legitimate rebuild.
But on the other hand I'm really REALLY pissed off that this didn't start almost 10 years ago.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I don't care how they got here. Its all that's any good save for the prospects.

A sad state of affairs.

Usually when your getting good young players the state of the team is in a sad state. It go's hand in hand unless your Detroit who understand the value of a puck possession game and draft skill.;)

Good news this was maybe the best draft in terms of drafting skill the Leafs had like forever. So at least we're seeing that area change.... The puck possession aspect changed when Carlyle was fired Having Babcock here to reinforce this aspect of hockey through out the organization just brings a smile to my face. :yo:

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I must say though that Harrington and Hunwick have been pleasant surprises. I wasn't crazy about Hunwick during preseason but he has been alright.

My benchmark for judging Leaf defense talent is if my heart drops when they touch the puck or not.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It will be interesting to see babcock's reaction to a long losing streak. It will be interesting to see this team's reaction to losing a few games in a row and going down early in subsequent games to see who quits and who doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad