Fire Todd Mclellan

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
depends who you're talking to as well and some of these guys have been through stothers, sutter and the wet blankets so being really ****ing direct can be incredibly effective to some players

i don't think that outside of maybe kempe and toffoli(and i might be very judgmental here) we have any mentally soft players who can't deal with that kind of talk. this isn't really a team of squishy, undersized ice dancers. i've seen lizotte get frustrated already but he looks more to me like the bullnosed type that translates that frustration into more effort, in comparison to say toff and kempe who sulk and shut down
I’ve never had the felling that Kempe as soft mentally. Sure his confidence is low and he’s trying too hard but that’s a different thing. It’s been pointed out that he’s coachable, listens, works hard and it very accountable, always taking responsibility. During his difficulties he’s not hidden and has kept shooting the puck and trying to get to the right areas. Nope, definitely not soft mentally.

Soft players hide, don’t want the puck and go into themselves.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I do keep hoping this thread is ironic. Even if you’re not a TM fan there is no reason to can him as things are broadly going to plan. He’s got some guys starting to find some form, he’s handicapped by Kopi going missing again all year (as some can’t see the obvious, yes I’m joking) and he’s integrating the younger players.

Anyone that genuinely feels TM should be fired needs to reassess their understanding of what a hockey coach is/does, because right now I cannot take you seriously.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I don't want him canned. Hell, I don't care if they suck for two years. The Kings need coaching continuity. I'd like for TM to be a little less inclined to talk to the media about the bad stuff. Talk to the player, not the media.

The whole, some players don't deserve to be playing in the NHL isn't productive. It puts a social target on every player that sits. It causes undo drama in the media. It diminishes possible trade value. It doesn't inspire.

If your father went on Facebook and said "my son doesn't deserve to be employed by the company business but I'm stuck with him", would you want to go to work. Would you want to even see him? If you perform well, but you minimize the success EVERY opportunity it comes would you be motivated? I can see using things as a teaching point behind close doors. I can see even using it in public on some occasions could drive a person to improve. But every time....to the media isn't productive. No matter how tactful or charismatic the approach to the media, do you have to essentially say they suck, or they did this good but this bad....every time?

It runs me wrong when in a world where it gets better media clicks to emphasize the negative thing a coach said to have a coach have this old school approach in a modern day world.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't want him canned. Hell, I don't care if they suck for two years. The Kings need coaching continuity. I'd like for TM to be a little less inclined to talk to the media about the bad stuff. Talk to the player, not the media.

The whole, some players don't deserve to be playing in the NHL isn't productive. It puts a social target on every player that sits. It causes undo drama in the media. It diminishes possible trade value. It doesn't inspire.

If your father went on Facebook and said "my son doesn't deserve to be employed by the company business but I'm stuck with him", would you want to go to work. Would you want to even see him? If you perform well, but you minimize the success EVERY opportunity it comes would you be motivated? I can see using things as a teaching point behind close doors. I can see even using it in public on some occasions could drive a person to improve. But every time....to the media isn't productive. No matter how tactful or charismatic the approach to the media, do you have to essentially say they suck, or they did this good but this bad....every time?

It runs me wrong when in a world where it gets better media clicks to emphasize the negative thing a coach said to have a coach have this old school approach in a modern day world.

With respect--you're going out of your way to ignore that TM does that, that all reports are that he communicates well and individually for each player; that he doesn't say in the media anything he doesn't say to a player; that, in every case that I can remember, he's absolutely nailed the assessment. Has he said anything untrue yet?

Reactions: Statto

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Personally, I’m sick of seeing these players be coddled and treated like they’re these sensitive, mentally fragile, thin skinned cowards who can’t stand up for themselves.

They're fortunate that these days bag skates are a thing of the past. Players can’t handle the criticism tend to be the ones who will never improve and should perhaps find another line of work.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Got it, never should have fired Stevens then?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I thought this thread was more tongue in cheek, based on similar threads last year, and we can use this as a general “let’s talk about the coaching” thread. McLellan is doing a fine job so far and I’m glad he’s behind the bench.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Maybe TMac should take the team out for ice cream after next loss.

I’d give Coach Todd a C+ grade at the 20 game marker, if we’re grading on a curve of Kings coaches.

Positives include his forechecking system, efficient distribution of ice time among both forwards and defenseman and getting improved results from Quick and Carter.

I’d like to see him put more pressure on Doughty and Kopitar publicly for their GA. He also needs to find a way to get Brown into a middle six role and challenge him to re find his hitting game.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’d give him a B
I’d give Coach Todd a C+ grade at the 20 game marker, if we’re grading on a curve of Kings coaches.

Positives include his forechecking system, efficient distribution of ice time among both forwards and defenseman and getting improved results from Quick and Carter.

I’d like to see him put more pressure on Doughty and Kopitar publicly for their GA. He also needs to find a way to get Brown into a middle six role and challenge him to re find his hitting game.
He gets a B from me.

I like the system and I have to agree about Carter and Quick. The majority of the board had their torches and pitchforks out for the both of them after 10 games, they were done. It goes to show none of us knows as much as we’d like to think we do. I agree on ice time also.

I don’t think he needs to put Kopi or DD under pressure. I’m sure he’s doing it behind the scenes and both guys have acknowledged their struggles. Kopi is once again carrying the offence whilst learning the new system and has limited support. Drew as usual is pulling the toughest minutes and there’s no question about his commitment. Calling them out achieves nothing.

Also, Some players respond to public statements and some do not. I have no idea about 8 & 11 but a good coach knows the best way to get a reaction. In fact I think both are better offensively and perhaps that’s more of a focus.

Brown leads our forwards in hits and as he gets older I’d expect his hit count to continue declining. He needs to manage it over a season to ensure he doesn’t wear down and picks his spots. That why I want to see Grundström in the lineup as he brings that physicality most of our other forwards don’t.

From wanting MacD to go to Ontario, I now want to see him in the lineup nightly. TM has definitely turned him into a serviceable #6, with the upside of becoming a good #6. He deserves credit for how he’s used him, started easing him in and built up his confidence.

The lack of Grundström is one of reasons I’ve marked him down. However given I don’t know what happens in practice that may be unfair. Improving his practice habits may be the key to how good a pro he ends up being.

I really don’t care about results this year, although it has to affect his grade. If the young guys improve and the new system becomes second nature before the season ends then it will give us a nice springboard to start moving forward next year. If that happens he’ll get a ‘A’.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Todd McLellan is exactly the coach a team in the King's position needs. He is a communicator that makes individuals better. He gives you're group solid fundamentals and gets each and every guy to commit and push themselves just that extra mile that gets them to improve a little more than they otherwise would. He's a sharp communicator that just managed to raise the bar in terms of professionalism and each and every guys personal goals. He gets guys to buy into what they need to to be successful at this level, to understand the attention to detail and prep needed every game.

That being said, his systems are ancient and maladaptive to his players. His game management is significantly below average. He's awful at picking up the pulse of playoff series and adapting to changing momentum.

He's a guy that gets your core to be in a position where someone else can come in and have it be the best it can possibly be. Which is awesome. But it's not the kind of guy that wins a cup in this league.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Todd McLellan is exactly the coach a team in the King's position needs. He is a communicator that makes individuals better. He gives you're group solid fundamentals and gets each and every guy to commit and push themselves just that extra mile that gets them to improve a little more than they otherwise would. He's a sharp communicator that just managed to raise the bar in terms of professionalism and each and every guys personal goals. He gets guys to buy into what they need to to be successful at this level, to understand the attention to detail and prep needed every game.

That being said, his systems are ancient and maladaptive to his players. His game management is significantly below average. He's awful at picking up the pulse of playoff series and adapting to changing momentum.

He's a guy that gets your core to be in a position where someone else can come in and have it be the best it can possibly be. Which is awesome. But it's not the kind of guy that wins a cup in this league.

Thank you for your feedback. I hope he learned a bit from his previous tenures where he can take the team to the next level when they're ready.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Bingo
Terry Murray 2.0

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Maybe thread has some merit. If he gets us playing much better we won’t end up with a lottery pick.

Hanson Brothers

Mar 9, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Why are Kempe and Iafallo stubbornly on the PP1? PP has been struggling all season and these two are there always. Why not go with Carter and Toffoli instead of these two? Really don’t understand the logic here.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Why are Kempe and Iafallo stubbornly on the PP1? PP has been struggling all season and these two are there always. Why not go with Carter and Toffoli instead of these two? Really don’t understand the logic here.
IAfallo is a coaches wet dream-he works hard, decent skater, battles for loose pucks, always in position, good defensively-he does everything but score goals...or get assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad