Fire Todd Mclellan

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Rumor was he did a similar thing in San Jose and Edmonton to prove a point that was only important to him. He caused a ton of friction in his first season that was always there throughout his tenure in Edmonton.

In SJ, the team eventually moved past his antics. But not before he got the press to question the heart of certain players. He was rumored to have told ownership on his way out that he got them as far as any coach could, then SJ went and made the finals his first year gone.

Regardless of whether Quick will ever be back to his old self, it was a garbage move by a garbage coach that was hired by a garbage GM who only got his job because his former teammate and then LA Kings resident idiot pres. of business operations went to ownership behind Lombardi's back and begged AEG to hire him rather than promote Futa as was Lombardi's wish.

I fully expect the Kings to implode around the All-Star break as he loves to pit teammates against each other and split locker rooms and leak to the press, to prove he's the "Boss".

If McLellan was the Capt. of the Titanic he would have not only hit the iceberg on purpose, he would back up and go forward to hit it multiple times to prove to the iceberg he was in charge.

Reactions: Basilisk

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Rumor was he did a similar thing in San Jose and Edmonton to prove a point that was only important to him. He caused a ton of friction in his first season that was always there throughout his tenure in Edmonton.

In SJ, the team eventually moved past his antics. But not before he got the press to question the heart of certain players. He was rumored to have told ownership on his way out that he got them as far as any coach could, then SJ went and made the finals his first year gone.

Regardless of whether Quick will ever be back to his old self, it was a garbage move by a garbage coach that was hired by a garbage GM who only got his job because his former teammate and then LA Kings resident idiot pres. of business operations went to ownership behind Lombardi's back and begged AEG to hire him rather than promote Futa as was Lombardi's wish.

I fully expect the Kings to implode around the All-Star break as he loves to pit teammates against each other and split locker rooms and leak to the press, to prove he's the "Boss".

If McLellan was the Capt. of the Titanic he would have not only hit the iceberg on purpose, he would back up and go forward to hit it multiple times to prove to the iceberg he was in charge.

Trying to find something of substance here. Are any of those rumors substantiated? Or just made up by someone?

Also, I didn't know DL wanted Futa to be GM. Futa has said he's pretty happy where he's at, and I thought Blake was being groomed by Lombardi. DL specifically chose him to be Asst. GM. I've never read anything otherwise, is there an article or something about that?

Also, an implosion might be an improvement over last year :laugh:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

In SJ, the team eventually moved past his antics. But not before he got the press to question the heart of certain players.

Good. I hope he peed on the toilet seats, too.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Fire John Stevens
Fire Willie Desjardins
Fire Todd McLellan

or...

Fire R** B****

Or none of the above? We’ve got a shite team with a great prospect pool. In time, our team will improve. Hell, one win in the next five games and it’s an improvement over lst season already.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’m not a fan of Coach Todd, but with this team, he’s right to single out the vets whose play doesn’t match their contracts.

He’ll only get so far with that and he’ll be judged for how he develops the youth once the vets have played themselves out of jobs and / or ice time.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
"McLellan, on what Adrian Kempe does well to use his speed:
Well, if tonight’s an indication, I would say so. A lot of people would say in the middle you’ve got all that ice that you can use and wander around, but I thought that Adrian had a really good game. He came very determines, I think we could’ve played him on defense and he would’ve had that type of game tonight. He was determined, he was probably even squeezing the stick a little hard, he had some really good opportunities to shoot or make a play, and it just kind of bounced off his stick a little bit. But at the end of the night he relaxed, he knows he belongs in this league, he knows that we’re very confident in him when he’s playing well and it was great to see him rewarded with a goal.

Last edited:

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I'm getting tired of his nothing is ever good enough military dad bullcrap. Does he ever compliment his kids without loading it with critique? Heck, sometimes he straight up says that they are not NHL caliber players.

I don't care if he's tough in the locker but to constantly use the media as a motivational tool when dealing with millennials screams problems.

McLellan, on what Adrian Kempe does well to use his speed:
Well, if tonight’s an indication, I would say so. A lot of people would say in the middle you’ve got all that ice that you can use and wander around, but I thought that Adrian had a really good game. He came very determines, I think we could’ve played him on defense and he would’ve had that type of game tonight. He was determined, he was probably even squeezing the stick a little hard, he had some really good opportunities to shoot or make a play, and it just kind of bounced off his stick a little bit. But at the end of the night he relaxed, he knows he belongs in this league, he knows that we’re very confident in him when he’s playing well and it was great to see him rewarded with a goal.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm getting tired of his nothing is ever good enough military dad bullcrap. Does he ever compliment his kids without loading it with critique? Heck, sometimes he straight up says that they are not NHL caliber players.

I don't care if he's tough in the locker but to constantly use the media as a motivational tool when dealing with millennials screams problems.

I dunno, I get what you're saying because especially at face value his quotes look pretty scathing, but if you hear the delivery, it comes off more as optimistic and his belief that guys have more to give.

And they've already all said--players on up--that one of TM's biggest strengths IS his communication with players.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I dunno, I get what you're saying because especially at face value his quotes look pretty scathing, but if you hear the delivery, it comes off more as optimistic and his belief that guys have more to give.

And they've already all said--players on up--that one of TM's biggest strengths IS his communication with players.

Yea, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the players would much rather have this than whatever Sutter used to say to them.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
once the team looks competitive on paper than I will start judging the coaching. Right now given the defensive group that LA is icing it is very difficult to point fingers at the coach. If anything I am impressed in this systems shot suppression numbers.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I’m so confused. If those comments from McLellan are considered “negative,” I don’t know what else to say. I guess it’s become the norm to overreact and lash out at anything.

I’m also offended by how Todd McLellan chews gum. It is way too aggressive and highlights the male authority figure and using masculinity as a form of intimidation.

Now maybe I can get this dumb thread shutdown...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I didn't read that as scathing at all. Like not even a little bit. This thread is really something.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't read that as scathing at all. Like not even a little bit.

Not this quote in particular, no. But for example the ones where he's talking about some of his players shouldn't even be in the nhl is more scathing than anything that came out of Sutter's mouth publicly. You can only get away with that if you're being fair and honest and communicating well behind closed doors, too.

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Not this quote in particular, no. But for example the ones where he's talking about some of his players shouldn't even be in the nhl is more scathing than anything that came out of Sutter's mouth publicly. You can only get away with that if you're being fair and honest and communicating well behind closed doors, too.
depends who you're talking to as well and some of these guys have been through stothers, sutter and the wet blankets so being really f***ing direct can be incredibly effective to some players

i don't think that outside of maybe kempe and toffoli(and i might be very judgmental here) we have any mentally soft players who can't deal with that kind of talk. this isn't really a team of squishy, undersized ice dancers. i've seen lizotte get frustrated already but he looks more to me like the bullnosed type that translates that frustration into more effort, in comparison to say toff and kempe who sulk and shut down

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Did Todd get the memo that we're supposed to LOSE this season?

#Yield4Byfield

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

That's certainly...a reading of it. Military dad? What? It's a well rounded assessment of his game. McLellan has also gone on record to say that everything he tells the media he tells the player directly.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I didn't read that as scathing at all. Like not even a little bit. This thread is really something.

This thread is insane. Was not a scathing quote. And what - players shouldn't be criticized? Really?

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Good Coaches never give only praise. Good Coaches know when players need to be elevated and encouraged and when they need to be brought down a peg, given critique. That's how good nights and bad nights can both be a learning experience.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
TM knows that scoring a goal doesn't mean Kempe is done developing and is now officially a well rounded player no longer in need of coaching. It means he's taking steps forward and as the coach said, he got rewarded for it last night. Kempe has to keep going though. He can't score a goal and then take the rest of the month off.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He was kissing Adrian's Swedish ass in that quote.

If that's scathing, you should see the GDTs. It's scorched earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad