Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but as I see for the last 20 years only Larry Robinson (NJD) won SC as a coach with no minor/junior coaching experience. And this example is not relevant because Robinson was named as interim HC at the end of than season.

Any other coach from Bowman to Cooper had minors and/or juniors HC experience. Maybe friends of Tocc Sullivan (PIT) and Berube had short stints in AHL but they both had 0.60+ percentage there.

Whats for Rick? ZERO HC experience outside of NHL. Why is he widely considered as a good head coach? For what reason? Where are the proofs of that? Maybe he is only a good guy and famous person. How can you give extension to coach with such poor resume?

We need to fire him asap. Better to lose $2m in dollars than to lose the whole value of the team which is regressing from game to game under him.

Can we move Tocc from HC to assistant position or it would be a violation of his contract?

Hey even GMBA has 4 years HC experience in AHL. Can he fire RT and be the GM and HC simultaneously for that transitional covid-shortened season? I think he would be better than RT.
Never cared for the dual GM/HC Combo, but given the situation, this has some merit.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think Armstrong is going to coach the team, but I think he's going to have his nose everywhere, looking under every rug to find out what dust has been swept under it, including in the lockerroom. I think he's going to be very involved and visible even in the lockerroom the first half of the season in a way that Chayka never could have, and it will light a fire under the ass of the right people, and make the other ones nervous.
The pressure poor Chayka felt by ownership "micromanaging" him, is going to be nothing compared to what people are going to think of Bill Armstrong as he attempts to find the right people for the right roles. Top to bottom.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I was kidding when I said he was going to coach. Lamoriello did it twice, once when the coach resigned, and then the second time with next to no time left in the season so there wasn't any one to come in and replace him (I don't know why an assistant didn't just fill-in as interim.

Anyway, what I was more getting at is that I think it's unlikely he fires Tocchet before the season. I don't care for it due to past performance, but it's reasonable for a new GM to come in and get to watch things so I see no need to dwell on it. The positive notes said by Armstrong to me just indicate that this is exactly his plan. You start with a new slate under him and he's not going to say anything negative in the media. As for those he fired in operations, they likely were tied to the previous violations, and if not, they came in his 90 page plan where he needs individuals to be more inline with his style. Coaching doesn't fall into that as neatly.

I also doubt he micromanages per se, but do think he'll have a better eye on things and better way to evaluate the coaching since he's personally experienced in and has been in management long enough to have gone through multiple iterations of coaches. So I don't doubt he'll make a change when it's necessary.

Finally, since it does look like Tocchet is here for the time being, I hope Armstrong can foster a better relationship than Chayka did, though I didn't hear they had issues, yet I think Armstrong can be a better wall for Tocchet to bounce ideas off of.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I predicted mid week OEL was staying, likely for good now. I also think RT is going to get fired now, as BA gets to the bottom of the core problem with coaching.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Firing RT and bringing back Allen and MVR would be sick

I don't know what the real problem was between Allen and RT that led to RT not retaining him (would have been nice to have "the insider" scoop..lol) but from my vantage point, Allen did a great job with the defense. And certainly better than MacLean or Housley.

Kinda of odd last year that you had a former defenseman running the forwards and a former forward running the defense. No wonder we are saying fire RT.

It really pains me to say fire RT because he was a great player. That said, so was Gretzky...lol.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't know what the real problem was between Allen and RT that led to RT not retaining him (would have been nice to have "the insider" scoop..lol) but from my vantage point, Allen did a great job with the defense. And certainly better than MacLean or Housley.

Kinda of odd last year that you had a former defenseman running the forwards and a former forward running the defense. No wonder we are saying fire RT.

It really pains me to say fire RT because he was a great player. That said, so was Gretzky...lol.
Housley ran D and PP. MacLean ran F and PK.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Permit me a rant here...

I really liked Tocchet as a player, specifically early in his career with the Flyers. The NHL was very much in an era of very physical play, and players like Tocchet, Mark Recchi, JR, Doug Gilmour, etc. were stars.

A lot of this I'm certain is me, as I tend to lean towards being unfairly unsympathetic towards people who engage in hardcore gambling...but I lost a LOT of respect for the guy when that whole thing came to light, and it's been very hard to look at him the same way since. On top of that, many of his hires appear thinly veiled cronyism, which is equally distasteful.

I'd love nothing more for him to be successful as the HC in Arizona, and I'm admittedly being rather judgy...but I'd really rather just see someone else in the position.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Money, might not want to pay 2 coaches. Like I said, pretty sure we will move on from RT shortly:)
I’d be shocked if Tocchet is fired before the season starts. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s extended. Disappointed? Absolutely. Surprised? Not at all.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I’d be shocked if Tocchet is fired before the season starts. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s extended. Disappointed? Absolutely. Surprised? Not at all.
I think the tide is changing with OEL staying. BA has a lot on his plate and might stick with RT for now and into the beginning of the season. BA might not have had enough time yet to select a new coach, might be taking his time a bit here. BA isn't going to keep RT because he respects Berube and they are best buds. You get very few chances to be GM, can't see RT staying for long or being extended. Chayka/Barroway picked RT, not AM.

It will be a, we want to thank RT but are going a different direction. It could be an early season move, again, depends on what BA is looking for in candidates. Also depends on if AM will eat RTs salary. I do think its smart for BA to think through who the new coach should be more so then when he hires him. I'm almost 100% confident a coaching change is coming before the TDL, OEL staying solidify's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad