Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, the way this ended, there is no way round a full blow-up here, including Tocchet.

I assume Meruelo just wants to hire a new GM first, and then expect the new GM to have this first on his list.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think there is a good chance BA and RT meet for a meal (separate checks of course) where BA says this is what ownership and I agree on having to happen. There seem to be mixed reports if it will be a retool or rebuild but regardless BA presents this to RT, tells him he thinks highly of him but would not be offended is he wanted to jump ship to that open assistant coaching spot in Pitt or somewhere else. If he wants to stay on that's fantastic and we will see how you handle the roster I begin building before an extension, if not let's enjoy our avocado toast but I am certainly not picking up your portion of the bill if you order any alcoholic beverages.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Sorry for the bump, but as I see for the last 20 years only Larry Robinson (NJD) won SC as a coach with no minor/junior coaching experience. And this example is not relevant because Robinson was named as interim HC at the end of than season.

Any other coach from Bowman to Cooper had minors and/or juniors HC experience. Maybe friends of Tocc Sullivan (PIT) and Berube had short stints in AHL but they both had 0.60+ percentage there.

Whats for Rick? ZERO HC experience outside of NHL. Why is he widely considered as a good head coach? For what reason? Where are the proofs of that? Maybe he is only a good guy and famous person. How can you give extension to coach with such poor resume?

We need to fire him asap. Better to lose $2m in dollars than to lose the whole value of the team which is regressing from game to game under him.

Can we move Tocc from HC to assistant position or it would be a violation of his contract?

Hey even GMBA has 4 years HC experience in AHL. Can he fire RT and be the GM and HC simultaneously for that transitional covid-shortened season? I think he would be better than RT.

Last edited:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Sorry for the bump, but as I see for the last 20 years only Larry Robinson (NJD) won SC as a coach with no minor/junior coaching experience. And this example is not relevant because Robinson was named as interim HC at the end of than season.

Any other coach from Bowman to Cooper had minors and/or juniors HC experience. Maybe friends of Tocc Sullivan (PIT) and Berube had short stints in AHL but thet both had 0.60+ percentage there.

Whats for Rick? ZERO HC experience outside of NHL. Why is he widely considered as a good head coach? For what reason? Where are the proofs of that? Maybe he is only a good guy and famous person. How can you give extension to coach with such poor resume?

We need to fire him asap. Better to lose $2m in dollars than to lose the whole value of the team which is regressing from game to game under him.

Can we move Tocc from HC to assistant position or it would be a violation of his contract?

Hey even GMBA has 4 years HC experience in AHL. Can he fire RT and be the GM and HC simultaneously for that transitional covid-shortened season? I think he would be better than RT.
I really like your point on Armstrong having head coach experience in the AHL. It gives me hope that he knows the coaching position better than Chayka, and he'll see what needs to be done. Even if he decides to keep Tocchet for this upcoming season, I would think he could offer better advice and assist Tocchet in his job than Chayka could.

I think demoting him means you are paying his contract fully out. Teams have fired coaches, but kept them on as advisors or whatnot while they pay them for the remainder of term. He could leave for another position and you'd be free of the remainder of the contract though.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tocchet is a 'fit' for the culture Armstrong wants. There's a very slim chance he evolves into a passable coach with the right assistant hire.

I don't see BA seeing through one of his idols. Sullivan might be the only person to ever say something negative about Tocchet to BA. BA might even convince himself he can put together a better roster and essentially tell Tocchet to coach it or take a hike, instead of just capitulating to asks like Chayka did.

OEL is our only hope at this point. He could make a massive stink about this.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Armstrong is just going to pull a Lamoriello and fire Tocchet part-way through the season and take over the coaching himself. It's part of his 90 page plan.
I mean, it might be? Guerin went into Minnesota with the spoken objective of taking the bulk of the season following his hiring to really evaluate what he had up close and personal before he made any "major" moves... Maybe GMBA indicated similarly in his interviews? I'm holding out hope that RT has not been given an extension because next season is effectively his "audition" to show he should keep the job?

Reactions: _Del_ and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocchet is a 'fit' for the culture Armstrong wants. There's a very slim chance he evolves into a passable coach with the right assistant hire.

I don't see BA seeing through one of his idols. Sullivan might be the only person to ever say something negative about Tocchet to BA. BA might even convince himself he can put together a better roster and essentially tell Tocchet to coach it or take a hike, instead of just capitulating to asks like Chayka did.

OEL is our only hope at this point. He could make a massive stink about this.
I think you are selling BA short here. He is no dummy and he knows exactly how RT coaches.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Anyone know why certain threads are invisible to me all of a sudden? The roster discussion thread is nowhere to be found when I’m looking at the Coyotes home page...

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think BA will end up getting rid of Tocchet . I am not sure it’s a priority before creating the team etc.

He said he thinks we have enough skill. And we all know skilled players come here and lose their productivity . He will see that fairly quickly and wonder why.

He will see that this team does not put in the effort needed to win at all costs.

Finally if he hasn’t already ... he will end up watching Tocc’s interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad