Fire Ron

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
8 regulation wins in 42 games. He's gone at the end of the year, at the latest. In typical Sabres fashion, though, I could see them hiring Sacco after the team has a decent final 10 games. :laugh: :cry:

heartsabres*

As someone who thought a week ago it would take a lot to get Roltson fired... I don't think he's around much longer. He's been THAT bad.

Count me in as someone who wants his cake and to eat it too. You can still get Reinhart and McDavid with far better coaches.

If we lose our next 5 I say he's fired.

Not gonna happen. Maybe gone at the end of the year but he is a representation of Darcy Regier.

He is a representation of Reinhart and McDavid.

In fact what makes you think the sabres organization feels this is right where they want to be...last place(Technically they are not even last).

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
The Stanley cup is the ultimate goal. You're either short sighted or arguing to argue. Not going to waste my time.

Nice, fitting username for your viewpoint though. Apropos.
If you think rolling the dice with future draft picks, operating without a blueprint and with this management team is going to bring a Stanley Cup, then you are mistaken.

This is a ship without direction and posters are trying to justify this mess.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Devil's advocate:

Most really bad teams suffer through stretches like this.

What if our really bad stretch is just at the beginning of the season?

Instead of in the middle, where many really bad teams have their stretches of pisspoor play?

heartsabres*

Devil's advocate:

Most really bad teams suffer through stretches like this.

What if our really bad stretch is just at the beginning of the season?

Instead of in the middle, where many really bad teams have their stretches of pisspoor play?

That is what posters fail to understand. It is mind boggling to read what posters post, wanting to finish last, have prospects reach "success" be competitive and get the first overall pick the next two years.

Asking to explain success, finishing last and saying winning is trivial is just nonsense. What do people think last place teams look like on the ice???

Watch Ted Nolan sabres. Those were last place teams playing far above their potential. Where does it get you? Mediocre. Pick a side, finishing last...this is what it looks like to get McDavid but please to say you want to be a successful last place team is just nonsense.

IF this team is "successful" Reinhart and McDavid wont be a sabre.

(for the record W8 L67 T5 PTS 21 1974–75 Washington Capitals)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That is what posters fail to understand. It is mind boggling to read what posters post, wanting to finish last, have prospects reach "success" be competitive and get the first overall pick the next two years.

Asking to explain success, finishing last and saying winning is trivial is just nonsense. What do people think last place teams look like on the ice???

Watch Ted Nolan sabres. Those were last place teams playing far above their potential. Where does it get you? Mediocre. Pick a side, finishing last...this is what it looks like to get McDavid but please to say you want to be a successful last place team is just nonsense.

IF this team is "successful" Reinhart and McDavid wont be a sabre.

(for the record W8 L67 T5 PTS 21 1974–75 Washington Capitals)

What's mindboggling is that some posters think being this utterly rudderless is part of same plan. The worst post lockout teams had at worst .400 winning percentages and scored 2.3 goals per game. We currently have a .136 winning percentage and are scoring 1.27 goals per game. The Capitals were an expansion team and are irrelevant to this discussion.

Also the silliness of thinking the main focus of the plan to rebuild is to hope we draft two franchise players the next two years. Statistically speaking its very hard to do even when you finish near or at the bottom. If that's the plan, then I have zero faith we build anything here. Rebuilding is about turning established assets into picks and prospects while handing the team over to the youth. It may lead to a few years of higher picks but that's not the primary focus. The focus should be on maximizing assets, building up a large talent pool and developing the youth we currently have.

Last edited:

Karate Johnson*

@WGR550: Black: "For us to get back to where we want to be, it's going to come through the draft."

That is a man saying we are being bad on purpose to draft high.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
@WGR550: Black: "For us to get back to where we want to be, it's going to come through the draft."

That is a man saying we are being bad on purpose to draft high.

This team tried by obtaining free agents and opened up the wallet a few years back, we all know how that turned out. Now they are doing a 360 on that an plan on using the draft. I do not have any faith in any of these guys.

To throw Ron Ron into the water without a life jacket and say we are sucking on purpose is just CRIMINAL! He is a rookie coach just getting hammered on all fronts and Black and company are just sitting on their hands. Shame on you.

Karate Johnson*

Right. And everyone thought it was just something you say.

Now the context has changed because its an explanation why we are so awful. Blacks quotes the last few weeks have all bit confirmed that we are indeed tanking this season. Like they are trying to not win.

heartsabres*

What's mindboggling is that some posters think being this utterly rudderless is part of same plan. The worst post lockout teams had at worst .400 winning percentages and scored 2.3 goals per game. We currently have a .136 winning percentage and are scoring 1.27 goals per game. The Capitals were an expansion team and are irrelevant to this discussion.

Also the silliness of thinking the main focus of the plan to rebuild is to hope we draft two franchise players the next two years. Statistically speaking its very hard to do even when you finish near or at the bottom. If that's the plan, then I have zero faith we build anything here. Rebuilding is about turning established assets into picks and prospects while handing the team over to the youth. It may lead to a few years of higher picks but that's not the primary focus. The focus should be on maximizing assets, building up a large talent pool and developing the youth we currently have.

I don´t think you understand the meaning of "rebuild"
To rebuild means you have to tear it down first. NOT half way, not a quarter of the way.

The bold is where you are lost. Higher picks equals?
Franchise player = top 3
You think a team can just choose where to finish near the bottom???

If you are going to rebuild then why do you want just a higher pick? Not the first overall?

IT makes zero sense what this theory is you post. why finish 9th when you can finish dead last.

lol, you think the sabres need to finish last IN STYLE????

How will the sabres acquire a superstar first line center? Through a trade? Oh wait through free agency because they are all dying to come here.

heartsabres*

Now the context has changed because its an explanation why we are so awful. Blacks quotes the last few weeks have all bit confirmed that we are indeed tanking this season. Like they are trying to not win.
Actually trading away pominville for prospects says hello.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt, apparently it's also a descriptor for fans who fail to understand the concept of "suffering".

But I guess those of us who saw this coming are just wandering aimlessly through life, whereas those who think you can magically extract blood from a rock occupy a higher intellectual and visionary plane.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
At least keep Rolston a little longer until Philidelphia gets their act together and puts some distance between us and them in the points standings. :laugh:

heartsabres*

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt, apparently it's also a descriptor for fans who fail to understand the concept of "suffering".

But I guess those of us who saw this coming are just wandering aimlessly through life, whereas those who think you can magically extract blood from a rock occupy a higher intellectual and visionary plane.
You hit it dead on.

Fans want a better effort but a better effort does equal more wins. Some posters
can´t stand losing. The one poster says rebuilding is better picks, can joshjill name who was the second highest rated prospect center behind Crosby? What about more recent behind McKinnon?

Just get it over with. Finish last this year and next. We can all turn the page. Look at teams like Calgary and Toronto who finished 4-8th the last 5 years. Gotta get top 3 or bust.

Also look at Edmonton struggle with all that offensive talent. Buffalo Sabres have the defence in place to build a winner. Next they draft offence. Just put the gun down already.

barnell

butter knife hockey
Mar 28, 2010
Rochester, NY

Its also something that many people have been calling for, for years.

The sad part about securing a top-3 draft pick is that you need to be one of the worst teams in the league. That means we have to lose, and lose a lot.

Lets not forget that without Vanek or Miller on the team next year (speculation, but I think we all see the writing on the wall) this team is going to be even worse. Just in time for McDavid.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I think you can still manage to suck your way into the No. 1 pick without being a total disgrace to the league.

I dont agree. We were pretty damn bad last year and yet ended up picking 8th. We are terribad this year and we are still not dead last. You have to be really, really bad all year.

The No. 1 pick isn't worth much if Rolston sets back your other young players a few years.

That I think is a very important point. You need to be pretty damn bad to draft at the top, but you have to be careful about how you manage your other young players during that period of 'suffering'.

Take a look at that goal against last night where Stafford clearly lost his man and the battle in front of the net. If that were Grigorenko you would be wise to expect to see Rolston bench him for several games before finally bringing him back to limited 4th line minutes and PP. I do not expect to see Stafford benched. Poor development of young players IMO.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I have never been one to clamor for someone's firing, but I am for Rolston. I understand that this is a rebuild, but part of a rebuild, I think, is for the players to see the vision that the organization has. Implement a new system (that has any semblance of cohesion) and stick with it. I know I am just an outsider and have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, but it just seems with his "strategy" and player usage, that Rolston just doesn't know what he's doing. I think he was a fine choice to work (not necessarily be HC) with developing players in Rochester, but he should be nowhere near the Sabres bench from here on out. I've seen every season since 1990, and I have never been this incensed with a coach in my years watching sports.

heartsabres*

I dont agree. We were pretty damn bad last year and yet ended up picking 8th. We are terribad this year and we are still not dead last. You have to be really, really bad all year.

That I think is a very important point. You need to be pretty damn bad to draft at the top, but you have to be careful about how you manage your other young players during that period of 'suffering'.

Take a look at that goal against last night where Stafford clearly lost his man and the battle in front of the net. If that were Grigorenko you would be wise to expect to see Rolston bench him for several games before finally bringing him back to limited 4th line minutes and PP. I do not expect to see Stafford benched. Poor development of young players IMO.
Just like Barry Melrose destroyed Stamkos´s career. :sarcasm:
Come on some people talk about McDavid and Reinhart like they are peices of glass.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don´t think you understand the meaning of "rebuild"
To rebuild means you have to tear it down first. NOT half way, not a quarter of the way.
Not surprisingly you missed the fact that I already said this

The bold is where you are lost. Higher picks equals?
Franchise player = top 3
You think a team can just choose where to finish near the bottom???

Higher picks = a much greater chance at a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman. It in no way guarantees a franchise player. Why anyone doesn't know this is beyond me.

If you are going to rebuild then why do you want just a higher pick? Not the first overall?

Feel free to show me where I argued this at all.

IT makes zero sense what this theory is you post. why finish 9th when you can finish dead last.

That you obviously don't understand my point is the problem

lol, you think the sabres need to finish last IN STYLE????

Its called properly developing the youngsters as well as properly managing their contracts for the time when we are back on track. I see little of this occurring. Are we really going to waste years on ELC for a bunch of teenagers? We can lose with the terrible vets just as easily while holding the rights to our young future core for longer at reasonable costs. We'll need young talent on cheap deals down the line in order to have a cap compliant Cup contender

How will the sabres acquire a superstar first line center? Through a trade? Oh wait through free agency because they are all dying to come here

There is exactly one of those in the next two drafts and even finishing last next year we only have a 25% chance of drafting him. And the odds of finishing dead last make the percentages of getting him even longer. If that's the entire game plan to rebuild this, then this team is run by idiots.

heartsabres*

I have never been one to clamor for someone's firing, but I am for Rolston. I understand that this is a rebuild, but part of a rebuild, I think, is for the players to see the vision that the organization has. Implement a new system (that has any semblance of cohesion) and stick with it. I know I am just an outsider and have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, but it just seems with his "strategy" and player usage, that Rolston just doesn't know what he's doing. I think he was a fine choice to work (not necessarily be HC) with developing players in Rochester, but he should be nowhere near the Sabres bench from here on out. I've seen every season since 1990, and I have never been this incensed with a coach in my years watching sports.

How do you implement a system when the most important players are not on the team yet.

This, in this moment is the worst period for the rebuild.

I will reserve my opinion about the direction of this franchise when we finish last two years in a row draft McDavid and Reinhart and then the sabres are still terrible. Until then how is this not going as planned?

Finish last and draft Reinhart....if anything fans should be worried that Reinhart causes the team to finish 3rd or 4th last and we lose out on McDavid....that is what everyone should be worrying about because until then the Buffalo Sabres are all but meaningless.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY

Maybe they should just concentrate on making clean passes for now and the rest will fall into place.

heartsabres*

Not surprisingly you missed the fact that I already said this

Higher picks = a much greater chance at a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman. It in no way guarantees a franchise player. Why anyone doesn't know this is beyond me.

Feel free to show me where I argued this at all.

That you obviously don't understand my point is the problem

Its called properly developing the youngsters as well as properly managing their contracts for the time when we are back on track. I see little of this occurring. Are we really going to waste years on ELC for a bunch of teenagers? We can lose with the terrible vets just as easily while extending the rights to our young future core at reasonable costs.

There is exactly one of those in the next two drafts and even finishing last next year we only have a 25% chance of drafting him. And the odds of finishing dead last make the percentages of getting him even longer. If that's the entire game plan to rebuild this team is run by idiots.

What is your point?
Higher picks does not equal first overall or you would say first overall.

High picks = anything higher then 15th.
Crosby was a guaranteed can´t miss prospect after that your points are lost.
McDavid is a guaranteed can´t miss prospect.
If you want to win the cup why would you want? Umm, who is the guy ranked after McDavid? :sarcasm:

Again your arguement is, you want to finish last? Or whatever higher picks equal but you want to do it repectfully. Who respected the last 10 last place teams? Or whatever place you feel higher picks =
/debate

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA

Bingo. Stafford was out-classed by a player much smaller and presumably weaker than he. Yet he'll still see top minutes. I did notice some good things out of Grigorenko but he's still too soft and weak away from the puck. However, it's not like the rest of the team is flying and he's holding them back. He needs to be put in a position to succeed, where his strengths can be utilized, not buried on the fourth line behind some out-dated philosophy that he has to "earn" his minutes.

heartsabres*

Bingo. Stafford was out-classed by a player much smaller and presumably weaker than he. Yet he'll still see top minutes. I did notice some good things out of Grigorenko but he's still too soft and weak away from the puck. However, it's not like the rest of the team is flying and he's holding them back. He needs to be put in a position to succeed, where his strengths can be utilized, not buried on the fourth line behind some out-dated philosophy that he has to "earn" his minutes.

Rookies earn their minutes, 30g scorers already have(not that I agree with the philosphy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad