Fire Ron

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Who is going to be hired to replace him. Who would come to this roster and have a better resume than Rolston currently. Ya Ruff was better he won a Jack Adams and made it to the Conference Finals 3 times and Cup once but even he couldn't get it out of a similar roster. Darcy fired Ruff to save his bacon.

If they did fire Ron, I hope they bring some passion to this front office. Regier and Ron show no fire or emotion. Ted Black shows some when he gets up tight but remember Devine at the draft. We need a little passion.

Karate Johnson*

I really questioned this organizations willingness to purposely tank the season. They hinted at that possibility, but I didn't think it would happen. But Blacks comments the last few weeks and the teams performance make me believe this actually is intentional beyond just being a bad team, like they don't want to even try to compete.

That leads to this question.... Is Ron Rolston a patsy?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I really questioned this organizations willingness to purposely tank the season. They hinted at that possibility, but I didn't think it would happen. But Blacks comments the last few weeks and the teams performance make me believe this actually is intentional beyond just being a bad team, like they don't want to even try to compete.

That leads to this question.... Is Ron Rolston a patsy?

Rolston didn't try to tank when he took over last season. And he didn't plan to tank this season. He is just flat out bad.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Who is going to be hired to replace him. Who would come to this roster and have a better resume than Rolston currently. Ya Ruff was better he won a Jack Adams and made it to the Conference Finals 3 times and Cup once but even he couldn't get it out of a similar roster. Darcy fired Ruff to save his bacon.

If they did fire Ron, I hope they bring some passion to this front office. Regier and Ron show no fire or emotion. Ted Black shows some when he gets up tight but remember Devine at the draft. We need a little passion.

Guy Boucher is out there, right?

I don't like the "who will replace him" argument, personally. It was used with Ruff, it can be used with Rolston, it can be used with any coach on the hotseat.

In the end, it's a simple choice: is the coach accomplishing the goals that you've laid out for him?

The situation is not simple, but if they feel Rolston is a hindrance to creating the next great Sabres team, then they need to separate him from the organization immediately. If not, then he should be provided full support to achieve what they want him to.

Karate Johnson*

Rolston didn't try to tank when he took over last season. And he didn't plan to tank this season. He is just flat out bad.

Right.

Did the front office know he wasn't capable of turning this team around. Did they retain him with the intention of being bad and having an easy out once the desired tank is achieved?

I never thought a pro sports team would be bad on purpose, but we clearly are. So how far are we willing to go to be bad.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Right.

Did the front office know he wasn't capable of turning this team around. Did they retain him with the intention of being bad and having an easy out once the desired tank is achieved?

I never thought a pro sports team would be bad on purpose, but we clearly are. So how far are we willing to go to be bad.

nah, this organization has put a lot of resources in place (summer development, signing leaders for Rochester) in order to develop thier prospects. Why keep so many rookies (and "ruin"?) on the big club if you are planning to tank? If you are planning on tanking (having a toxic, losing environment) why not send rookies down and claim scrubs off waivers to fill the roster.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I'm curious, but how much of our current woes are a direct result of having no centers, no speed, and no finish? Coach or no coach, the fundamentals of this roster are awful:

Foligno, Ennis, etc. I'm tired of trying to force round pegs into square holes at the center position. 7 years and counting on that front.

Porter, Flynn etc. AHL filler skating circles around the supposed core roster guys. Slower than molasses in January.

Vanek, Stafford etc. High priced snipers who struggle to consistently find the back of the net.

In short, it's hard to know where Regier's incompetence ends and Rolston's begins.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm curious, but how much of our current woes are a direct result of having no centers, no speed, and no finish? Coach or no coach, the fundamentals of this roster are awful:

Foligno, Ennis, etc. I'm tired of trying to force round pegs into square holes at the center position. 7 years and counting on that front.

Porter, Flynn etc. AHL filler skating circles around the supposed core roster guys. Slower than molasses in January.

Vanek, Stafford etc. High priced snipers who struggle to consistently find the back of the net.

In short, it's hard to know where Regier's incompetence ends and Rolston's begins.

Good points

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Guy Boucher is out there, right?

I don't like the "who will replace him" argument, personally. It was used with Ruff, it can be used with Rolston, it can be used with any coach on the hotseat.

In the end, it's a simple choice: is the coach accomplishing the goals that you've laid out for him?

The situation is not simple, but if they feel Rolston is a hindrance to creating the next great Sabres team, then they need to separate him from the organization immediately. If not, then he should be provided full support to achieve what they want him to.

Guy Boucher would be an interesting choice, he is better than Ron

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I think you it's a fair argument to have.

If the goal is to build for the future... then Regier has done the right thing, and Rolston is ****ing it up

If the goal was to be a good team this year... then Regier ****ed up, and Rolston doesn't have what he needs.

regardless, the team looks inept from a schematic perspective and that falls on Rolston regardless of the direction/plan

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Guy Boucher would be an interesting choice, he is better than Ron

I liked him in tampa.... his teams played hard and exciting hockey... they just lacked any sort of depth in talent... they were a 2.5 man hockey team

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The only line we don't have speed on is the only one scoring, Ennis is fine at center if Rolston stops using him as a ******* checker, Porter is on the fourth line, and how much longer does Flynn have to do quiet, effective work to be more than AHL fodder?

We have a deep, extremely mobile blueline that should be the cornerstone of our gameplan. It isn't. We should be relying on our goaltenders to make 1-2 big saves instead of giving away innumerable lesser chances and minutes of possession. We aren't.

We should be running an uptempo strategy designed to pressure the puck as much as possible, using the sheer volume of battles and decisions opposing puck carriers have to win and make to force mistakes, rather than saying "beat us at our blueline and keep the zone for 2 minutes."

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I liked him in tampa.... his teams played hard and exciting hockey... they just lacked any sort of depth in talent... they were a 2.5 man hockey team

And he would install an actual system that people would play. Plus, Laviolette isn't around to keep his players waiting in the defensive zone. :sarcasm:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Sign me up. He is very tactical as well and young so he would likely relate well to the youth of the team.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The only line we don't have speed on is the only one scoring, Ennis is fine at center if Rolston stops using him as a ******* checker, Porter is on the fourth line, and how much longer does Flynn have to do quiet, effective work to be more than AHL fodder?

We have a deep, extremely mobile blueline that should be the cornerstone of our gameplan. It isn't. We should be relying on our goaltenders to make 1-2 big saves instead of giving away innumerable lesser chances and minutes of possession. We aren't.

We should be running an uptempo strategy designed to pressure the puck as much as possible, using the sheer volume of battles and decisions opposing puck carriers have to win and make to force mistakes, rather than saying "beat us at our blueline and keep the zone for 2 minutes."

All valid. Coaching needs to assess what they have and start utilizing it.

Karate Johnson*

nah, this organization has put a lot of resources in place (summer development, signing leaders for Rochester) in order to develop thier prospects. Why keep so many rookies (and "ruin"?) on the big club if you are planning to tank? If you are planning on tanking (having a toxic, losing environment) why not send rookies down and claim scrubs off waivers to fill the roster.

Ok.... Then Darcy is at fault for hiring Rolston.

It can't be Rolstons fault he's no good. He's trying his best.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Sabres are one of the worst teams in the league talent-wise. Bad teams tend to lose. Hence the 1-9-1 record.

If you expected something considerably better from this team, you should get a grip on reality and blame yourself and your highly exaggerated expectations, not the coach.

If losing constantly is not the main reason you want to get RR fired, don't bring up.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I disagree, this team has a lot of young talent with supposedly more to come.

So has Edmonton the past few years.....

Rolston shouldn't even be coaching in the AHL the way things are looking this season. But, I doubt a guy like Boucher changes the W/L record that much.

Even with more consistent lines and a gameplan that fits better with the talent on hand, this team is bad. Really, really bad.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I disagree, this team has a lot of young talent with supposedly more to come.
The key word there is 'young'. Sabres are currently a mixture of generally mediocre NHL-tier players, fillers from the AHL and 18-19 year old developing prospects. Miller and Vanek are pretty much the only exceptions there.

And Sabres haven't even reached the bottom yet. After Vanek and Miller are gone, this team will be even worse than it is now.

You do realize that, right?

The team has a lot of potential, but right now half of the players are AHL-calibre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->