Fire Ron

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
We've got young talent, I agree.

But we don't have any young ELITE prospects/Players.

Good teams need at least one or two players with that extra gear.

We don't have an exceptional player and I don't see any of our prospect to become that kind of difference maker.

Yes, there gonna be a lot good players out of our prospect roster, but I don't see a difference msker like Taveres, Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Ovie or Malkin and Crosby there.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So, maybe they should have bothered to do a coaching search after all?

i've criticized that... but accepted it in the big picture (rebuild...hired to be fired...)

I felt we were in for 2-3 years of suffering...regardless of who was hired. But no, I also did not expect Rolston to be the **** show that he is, trying to implement junior hockey.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Still too early to say for sure but Zodorov and Risto have the potential and Pysyk looks like he'll be a classic #2 defenseman

Risto and Zadorov has shown some promise, for sure. But so did Myers, Vanek, Roy, Pominville and the jury is still out on Grigs and Hodgson.

Noone of the names mentioned above have ever been close to the level of Taveres, Sedin, Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Kovaltchuk, Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom, Doughty, Karlsson or Pronger.

And I just don't see anyone on or current NHL roster or prospect pool reaching that kind of exceptional level.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
i've criticized that... but accepted it in the big picture (rebuild...hired to be fired...)

I felt we were in for 2-3 years of suffering...regardless of who was hired. But no, I also did not expect Rolston to be the **** show that he is, trying to implement junior hockey.

So maybe you've said this elsewhere and I've missed it but I'm curious to know... how many players that are on the roster now do you expect to be on the next good Sabres team and in what capacity?

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
what do you think prospects are?

There are some kind of "sure" prospect who are going to be superstars in the NHL for sure. Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Taveres for example.

And I don't see a sure superstar project in our prospect pool.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I was okay with Rolston being hired. I now agree with the above. But I think the person who hired Rolston should be replaced. Let his replacement fire/hire the new coach.

Agreed. I want Regier gone and have for years. His a toxic cretin. The rest is pointless until that is done.

As for confidence in Rolston I don't mind, I like the guy and he seems bright but he is definitely struggling. However I don't see any real effort from the veterans so how much is he to blame for? A target is painted on his back but I'm not sure it's fair. I'd be hitting Ott, Myers, Stafford, Ennis, Tallinder hard, really hard. These are the guys that have to step up.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Agreed. I want Regier gone and have for years. His a toxic cretin. The rest is pointless until that is done.

As for confidence in Rolston I don't mind, I like the guy and he seems bright but he is definitely struggling. However I don't see any real effort from the veterans so how much is he to blame for? A target is painted on his back but I'm not sure it's fair. I'd be hitting Ott, Myers, Stafford, Ennis, Tallinder hard, really hard. These are the guys that have to step up.
The only guys Rolston seems to hit hard are Ristolainen, Larsson, and especially Grigorenko.

Sure, Stafford was on the 4th line during the last 2 minutes of last nights game. But that's not going to cut it. He should be punishing Stafford with a line that consists of McCormick and Scott....Or Porter and Scott. Not Grigorenko. Or even better, sitting Stafford if he's not going to outwork anyone.

Last edited:

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Risto and Zadorov has shown some promise, for sure. But so did Myers, Vanek, Roy, Pominville and the jury is still out on Grigs and Hodgson.

Noone of the names mentioned above have ever been close to the level of Taveres, Sedin, Toews, Kane, Datsyuk, Kovaltchuk, Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom, Doughty, Karlsson or Pronger.

And I just don't see anyone on or current NHL roster or prospect pool reaching that kind of exceptional level.
none of the prospects have elite potential.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
The only guys Rolston seems to hit hard are Ristolainen, Larsson, and especially Grigorenko.

Sure, Stafford was on the 4th line during the last 2 minutes of last nights game. But that's not going to cut it. He should be punishing Stafford with a line that consists of McCormick and Scott....Or Porter and Scott. Not Grigorenko. Or even better, sitting Stafford if he's not going to outwork anyone.
i have said it before, they are not from the USDP so he doesn't favour them.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So maybe you've said this elsewhere and I've missed it but I'm curious to know... how many players that are on the roster now do you expect to be on the next good Sabres team and in what capacity?

that's really hard to say since i expect some use of assets to add different/needed pieces... so i'll keep it simple

I expect Risto/Myers/Zadarov/Ehrhoff/Pysyk to be the core of the blueline

I expect Girgensons/Larsson/Foligno to be the backbone of a hardworking team

I expect Hodgson to be a piece of the offensive puzzle

everything else is up in the air... but we have a lot of chips to play with, and more coming...

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

He'll have to learn fast how to treat veterans of the game. They may be older and wiser, but they are just as prone to laziness.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
that's really hard to say since i expect some use of assets to add different/needed pieces... so i'll keep it simple

everything else is up in the air... but we have a lot of chips to play with, and more coming...

That's roughly my take as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think you it's a fair argument to have.

If the goal is to build for the future... then Regier has done the right thing, and Rolston is ****ing it up

If the goal was to be a good team this year... then Regier ****ed up, and Rolston doesn't have what he needs.

regardless, the team looks inept from a schematic perspective and that falls on Rolston regardless of the direction/plan

This is my concern but as I said previously, its still early. Although with Regier I'm a tad concerned with potentially starting a lot of young players ELCs and marching them closer to free agency so early in their careers. Part of building a contender is having some of your young talent on cheaper deals before they hit pay dirt.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Hang on, are we really suggesting firing a coach who's just got the job over a GM who's ****ed everything up for years (minus 3 successful years)?

Not only that, we are in a season where we know we are going to be bad. Shock horror people, this is bad!

Until Regier is gone no good can come of the front office situation. Neither will or record improve greatly.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

I generally agree with your thoughts here, though I'll be a little less equivocating than you (shocking :D ) on some of the roles, since I don't know exactly what the "backbone of a hardworking team" really means, nor will I name 5 defensemen as part of a core. ;)

If the Sabres are going to be good, I expect that Myers will need to be one of the three best defensemen.

Hodgson will need to be one of the top two centers.

One of Pysyk/Ristolainen/Zadorov will be in the Top 4. At least one of the other two will be in the Top 6.

At least one of Foligno/Girgensons/Larsson will be top 6 forwards, the other two will be part of a very strong checking line.

I agree that not all of the players on the team, or in the organization will be on the next good Sabres team (hopefully '16-'17 at the latest)*. Some, will be moved, some will inevitably bust out, and there are some key pieces who aren't even in the organization yet. I don't necessarily know who (which is why I'm still equivocating too) but I'm certainly not assuming every prospect is going to reach his ceiling. It's interesting to me that you, me and josh aren't including Grigorenko in the mix.

This gets to what I want to see from this season, because it's not about the best lottery position for me. If Regier has really done the job of acquiring good young talent in the last two offseasons, and that talent is in Buffalo right now, this year is about getting as many 23 and younger players developed as possible (and that doesn't mean keeping all these players in Buffalo for the bulk of the season). The rest is a lot less controllable than people seem to think, IMO.

*16-17, also known as the year my son starts kindergarten.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
This is my concern but as I said previously, its still early. Although with Regier I'm a tad concerned with potentially starting a lot of young players ELCs and marching them closer to free agency so early in their careers. Part of building a contender is having some of your young talent on cheaper deals before they hit pay dirt.

As am I, but there is the argument (not a great one IMO but I've seen it in context with Monahan) that there is another deadline, ~40 games, that pushes off UFA for a year so they can take a little longer to evaluate and develop. I think the year of ELC is more valuable, personally, but it's at least a worthwhile discussion.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
As am I, but there is the argument (not a great one IMO but I've seen it in context with Monahan) that there is another deadline, ~40 games, that pushes off UFA for a year so they can take a little longer to evaluate and develop. I think the year of ELC is more valuable, personally, but it's at least a worthwhile discussion.

I was referring to both when I stated starting a lot of young players ELCs and marching them closer to free agency

Both concern me.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
If the Sabres are going to be good, I expect that Myers will need to be one of the three best defensemen.

I get the feeling that if Myers has a good team around him, he will continue to regain his best form. I'm actually not that worried about him, as he'll have plenty of time to grow with our new defensive prospects.

Hodgson will need to be one of the top two centers.

Like many, I doubt that Hodgson is our number 1 center a few years down the road. It's possible, but he would be an excellent 2nd line center.

One of Pysyk/Ristolainen/Zadorov will be in the Top 4. At least one of the other two will be in the Top 6.

At least one of Foligno/Girgensons/Larsson will be top 6 forwards, the other two will be part of a very strong checking line.

Foligno and Girgensons are perfect guys to have around, because they should be excellent third liners who can slot into the second line as needed. It's possible any of them find a permanent home on the second line if they refine their offensive play, but either way we win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad