Proposal: Fire Pierre Dorion... Unless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I would not mind keeping Pierre Dorion on board in some capacity. Not as G.M, definitely not as President, but maybe in a role somewhere in our scouting department.

The guy did put together a core of Tkachuk, Stützle, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Chabot and soon to be Sanderson which is an impressive haul of talent.

Add Jarventie, Sokolov, Daoust, Crookshan, Boucher, Thomson, Bernard-Docker etc. and I would say he did pretty good restocking the cupboard.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I would not mind keeping Pierre Dorion on board in some capacity. Not as G.M, definitely not as President, but maybe in a role somewhere in our scouting department.

The guy did put together a core of Tkachuk, Stützle, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Chabot and soon to be Sanderson which is an impressive haul of talent.

Add Jarventie, Sokolov, Daoust, Crookshan, Boucher, Thomson, Bernard-Docker etc. and I would say he did pretty good restocking the cupboard.

I would actually suspect he'll find another head GM position somewhere in the league. Not because he's a great GM, but as opposed to headstrong fearless leaders like an Yzerman or Burke etc., Dorion has shown that he will devoutly follow orders and tow the company line. For a penny-pinching / hands-on owner or ownership group, he could be just the guy, especially for a rebuilding phase.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Batherson and Chabot are Murray

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I would actually suspect he'll find another head GM position somewhere in the league. Not because he's a great GM, but as opposed to headstrong fearless leaders like an Yzerman or Burke etc., Dorion has shown that he will devoutly follow orders and tow the company line. For a penny-pinching / hands-on owner or ownership group, he could be just the guy, especially for a rebuilding phase.
I heartily disagree. No self-respecting business man will put this bumbling fool in front of a mic.

Reactions: lancepitlick

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Batherson and Chabot are Murray

He kept them around and got them signed to long term deals. Dorion was also heavily involved in drafting when Murray was still G.M, so I am sure Dorion had a say in drafting both Batherson and Chabot.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He kept them around and got them signed to long term deals. Dorion was also heavily involved in drafting when Murray was still G.M, so I am sure Dorion had a say in drafting both Batherson and Chabot.
...so the other guys are Manns'?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

He had an INCREDIBLY easy job (and yet our team hasn't taken off despite more rebuilding years than other teams)

When the rebuild started, he already had guys like Chabot, White, Batherson, Formenton, Paul, Driedger, Daccord, etc in the pool. 2 of these guys are our best players, 1 D-man, 1 forward.

He then had the luxury to trade these players (all in their prime except maybe 30 y/o Brassard) : Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Pageau, Brassard, Hoffman, Dzingel, Ceci... Rebuilding teams usually don't have nearly as much quality to trade, like NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Congrats I guess for not screwing up (?) on drafting Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson with 3rd, 4th and 5th OA picks. We could be grateful they didn't "bouchered" up these picks...

You could say "but he's the one and went out and got Duchene and Brassard!". It's true but anybody wanting to defend Dorion would rather NOT say that lol

Bryan Murray hired Dorion for 2007-08, which coincided with our turn around in drafting (Murray revamped the whole scouting department). Our first pick in 2008 was Erik Karlsson

We wish Dorion stayed in the scouting department but it's natural to be seeking promotions. When Murray got older and sick, he had a opportunity open. All he had to was to be a YES man for Melnyk

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64 and Cosmix

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
hes so hot right now

hot.jpg

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Psycroptic86

Oct 5, 2019
So it was Eugene all along? I mean Dorion could still make a bad move, but that's two in a row going for him.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Two home runs in a row tells me that Dorian never had a "free" hand to make decisions when EM was around.

Man you people are easy to please.

Dude was a NTC away from downgrading from 7th to 16th. Almost jumped the gun hard when the Leafs clearly had the most interest in Murray.
Do you ever stop???? Just be friggin happy with the results.......... if you are a real fan of this team.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Do you ever stop???? Just be friggin happy with the results.......... if you are a real fan of this team.

I'm thrilled with this development. Thought it would cost way more to dump Murray's contract.

But people aren't dealing in reality if they think this move is any kind of evidence of Dorion's genius.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Man you people are easy to please.

Dude was a NTC away from downgrading from 7th to 16th. Almost jumped the gun hard when the Leafs clearly had the most interest in Murray.

To be fair he was trading the pick to Chicago either way, just adding to that package if it was the 16th as opposed to the 7th. Without knowing what he was going to add to the deal it’s hard to judge his thought process around the move.

Reactions: Relapsing

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
So I guess he's actually pretty decent when his phones not being blown up with drunk texts telling him what to do

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I'm thrilled with this development. Thought it would cost way more to dump Murray's contract.

But people aren't dealing in reality if they think this move is any kind of evidence of Dorion's genius.
You can't possibly be using a purely speculative trade that never happened against him. At this point, really?

Reactions: GermanSpitfire
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad