FIRE Lavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I had to read a gazillion of these threads about Trotz, usually when the problem wasn't coaching but lack if talent.

Firing Trotz may have been the right thing, and if they manage to go any less than the EC finals, the "Trotz can't win in the playoffs" meme will gain more credence.

But, that said, Trotz isn't the coach anymore.

I submit that Laviolette, while certainly different in style, is actually a worse coach than Trotz was, and if you don't agree with that then at least he is no upgrade.

Good coaches adapt and change in the face of adversity and poor play.

Good coaches prepare a team with talent to succeed at pre-determined situations, like the Power play, penalty kill, 4 on 4, 3 on3 extra attacker, and empty net .

We flat out weren't very good at any of those, most glaringly 3 on 3, which arguably cost us at least a spot or two in the standings and potentially a division title.

When we played so poorly for two months starting around Thanksgiving, we seemed to do the same thing over and over. It took two months to figure out that giving Rinne a breather and tightening down on defense to protect his fragile psyche was how to turn the losing around. Trotz, nd probably most other coaches would have made that adjustment in two weeks instead of two months.

And now we are on the cusp of one of the most epic fails in sports. And we are doing it with what is arguably the most talented team, as well as the least injured team, we have ever had heading into the playoffs

People mocked Boudreau for his comments after game two and assumed he was fired. Well, maybe Lavy should call our players a few names publicly, the result couldn't possibly be any more futile.

I know he won a Cup and in Carolina of all places, but I don't for the life of me see how.

Lavy sucks, and he sucks big donkey balls

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I had to read a gazillion of these threads about Trotz, usually when the problem wasn't coaching but lack if talent.

Firing Trotz may have been the right thing, and if they manage to go any less than the EC finals, the "Trotz can't win in the playoffs" meme will gain more credence.

But, that said, torts isn't the coach anymore.

I submit that Laviolette, while certainly different in style, is actually a worse coach than Trotz was, and if you don't agree with that then at least he is no upgrade.

Good coaches adapt and change in the face of adversity and poor play.

Good coaches prepare a team with talent to succeed at pre-determined situations, like the Power play, penalty kill, 4 on 4, 3 on3 extra attacker, and empty net .

We flat out weren't very good at any of those, most glaringly 3 on 3, which arguably cost us at least a spot or two in the standings and potentially a division title.

When we played so poorly for two months starting around Thanksgiving, we seemed to do the same thing over and over. It took two months to figure out that giving Rinne a breather and tightening down on defense to protect his fragile psyche was how to turn the losing around. Trotz, nd probably most other coaches would have made that adjustment in two weeks instead of two months.

And now we are on the cusp of one of the most epic fails in sports. And we are doing it with what is arguably the most talented team, as well as the least injured team, we have ever had heading into the playoffs

People mocked Boudreau for his comments after game two and assumed he was fired. Well, maybe Lavy should call our players a few names publicly, the result couldn't possibly be any more futile.

I know he won a Cup and in Carolina of all places, but I don't for the life of me see how.

Lavy sucks, and he sucks big donkey balls

No offense but this is pretty ridiculous. Not only did he win a Cup, but also took another low seed team to the Stanley Cup finals. He has won everywhere he has been.

To suggest he doesn't know what he is doing is totally ridiculous

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
His life expectancy we knew going in was short for success. Every team he has had was there best in year one or two of his tenure. There is nothing to indicate next season will be an improvement older vets a year older and to the joy of many Goose is done and another youngster is brought in. Not sure how ownership is gonna like paying Lavi off so I doubt they make a move.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Okay, who do we hire? How much money do we owe Lavy once he is terminated? What is our budget? Serious questions.

There's a reason Boston didn't **** can their coach this year. He would have been the best candidate on the market.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Poor tactical coach.

Our "elite" defensive group has regressed on the defensive side of the puck, though looks good on the scoresheet.

Some of our young forwards have thrived (e.g. Forsberg) while others have stagnated (Wilson, Smith). How much Lavy is responsible for the success of Forsberg and Neal versus it just being a product of them playing with talented linemates is tough to say.

Utter lack of team discipline compounded by a seeming lack of accountability (has Ribeiro ever been benched for crap? Neal? Nystrom and Goose getting auto-plugged into the lineup nearly the entire season despite terrible performance).

Our "elite" goalie has his head shoved so far up his ass he's going to need a map and a shovel to get it out.

Jekyll and Hyde team. We're world burners for two weeks then go the next two skating on to the ice and proceeding to take a 60 minute dump on it every night.

I don't know it's all on Lavy, but outside of a good month or two this season, it's not working, whoever's fault it may be. And that's pretty sad considering the level of talent on this team.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I wanted Carlyle before Lavi because he could continue the focus on the blueline and bring different offense system in. But at this point Poile had deeply invested in Johanson and Neal and now Randy would not fit as well. The only similar team he had was Temmu Karyia days. Might work but a couple years too late really. Rinne and Weber are two years older. We are going to be looking at there retirement pretty soon.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I wanted Carlyle before Lavi because he could continue the focus on the blueline and bring different offense system in. But at this point Poile had deeply invested in Johanson and Neal and now Randy would not fit as well. The only similar team he had was Temmu Karyia days. Might work but a couple years too late really. Rinne and Weber are two years older. We are going to be looking at there retirement pretty soon.

In '07 he had Selanne and MacDonald as his two highest scorers, but also an emerging Getzlaf and Perry, to go along with that elite defensive group. He also had a Giggy that was mentally frail at times. I don't think he's all that ill-suited for this type of roster at all, outside of us needing to add a few better two-way/stopper forward types.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Even in my boozed up state of utter outrage and frustration I find this thread to be of utmost ridiculousness.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
In '07 he had Selanne and MacDonald as his two highest scorers, but also an emerging Getzlaf and Perry, to go along with that elite defensive group. He also had a Giggy that was mentally frail at times. I don't think he's all that ill-suited for this type of roster at all, outside of us needing to add a few better two-way/stopper forward types.

Perhaps but that is the ting will Poile reverse and replace the aging Fish and Riberio with those responsible veterans all the while Rinnes clock ticks which is more important than Weber but Weber is not too far behind. I would say it is more on Poiles shoulders and the owners do they want to pay Lavi to leave then pay again to rebalance the team. I would not be against Carslile if Poile and ownership were willing to do this. But I think If they had hired him instead of Lavi as I suggested then this team would not be so fragile and would have been more competitive. The change from Trotz to Lavi's system was a total 180 whereas it would have been a more gentle move with Randy.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
No offense but this is pretty ridiculous. Not only did he win a Cup, but also took another low seed team to the Stanley Cup finals. He has won everywhere he has been.

To suggest he doesn't know what he is doing is totally ridiculous

Except for the Islanders.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Except for the Islanders.

Not really.

He took over an Islanders team that was 21-51-7-3 (52 points) the year before he got there, and took them to the playoffs the next two years. Improved from 52 points to 96 in his first season.

If that is the weak spot in his resume, then I would say his resume is pretty dang good...

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You know how I feel about Smith.

Notice how they were winning with Smith and losing without. Seems like he isn't the problem.

Fire Poile actually.

I agree with this. Poile should be fired and should have been fired instead of Trotz. Poile does not know how to build a contending team. And before anyone says this team is, this team has no back bone and crumbles under pressure. That is not a characteristic of a contending team.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'd definitely be putting the blame on Poile. He's a good GM, and his teams are good. They're a direct reflection of him in fact, good, even, dependable... Safe.

Never risky enough to fail (there were a few bad years, but not awful and there were other factors), and never risky enough to succeed.

Still, the Preds could easily win the series and put all of this talk to bed. I think losing Smith is a huge factor in that it give the Ducks basically one line to stop rather than two. Then again, how well is the team built and/or coached if losing Craig Smith is enough to derail the train?

ElfanuReinhard*

Here's what you do, get more 2-way forwards to help out the second best blueline in the league. Get a goalie who is flexible, and bam you have it well. What sets Preds apart from Blues, Hawks, Kings, Ducks, etc. is no matter how deep your blueline is, unless all of your forwards can play a decent 2-way game you won't get anywhere. We Johansen, Neal, Forsberg, Smith are all players that need to step up in their 2-way game. Oh let's not even get to Ribeiro, the biggest liability of all times. When Fisher is your only competent 2-way forward, you're going to have issues.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Lavy has no clue how to adjust strategies. Boudreau has completely re-vamped how the Ducks play after Game 1 and 2 but Lavy is just staying the course.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Lavy has no clue how to adjust strategies. Boudreau has completely re-vamped how the Ducks play after Game 1 and 2 but Lavy is just staying the course.

and this is my entire point.

Laviolette has been completely out coached in this series.

And as I mentioned, I KNOW he has had success elsewhere, but here, he hasn't shown much other than how to utterly fail at 3 on3, complete with the admission by our captain that he didint even practice it.

All you folks that said you'd be happy even if we lost playing up tempo hockey, well, be careful what you wish for, because it sure looks like Lavy is on course to match Trotz playoff record here.

Everyone who said it didn't matter how good Trotz was getting the most out of a bad roster or how good an Xs and Os coach he was because he didn't win in the playoffs, well, your savior is about to go 0-2 in two years of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad