Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Red Wings fan here...
Ken Holland is way past it. He was way past in Detroit and had been since at least 2011/12.
I hoped, for your sake, he might regain some of his Midas touch building around McDavid and Drai. But he's had zero success.
Dave Tippett, by the way, seems way too old school for McDavid/Drai.
But that's what Holland does. He hires good old boys. I'm surprised he hasn't brought in Babcock.
Okay cool dude thanks

Reactions: McOilers97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are you kidding me Drive? You're giving up and want a GM fired after 3 damn games? What has he done wrong other than get a goalie. None of those goalies, for example, wanted to come to Edmonton. Superstar Markstrom used us to make more money. What's Holland supposed to do? Tie players and GMs up and blackmail them to do what he wants? Compare Holland to our other spectacular GMs and tell me how he compares please

Kass Contract. Losing Gagner for nothing, Giving away Sam and 2 2nds for AA. Bringing in Turris for "help"

Whats he actually doing to improve our lineup. The whole time the only player improvement he has brought in is Barrie. Thats it. There isnt another player that Holland has brought in that has made a difference. maybe Archibald. Most of Hollands pick ups are disposable junk.

we got outscored 13-1. This is more than 3 games symbolically. This is an epic beat down. The only way it could be worse is if it was Calgary. if that was the case I would just cancel Cable and not watch another game.

Given up? I've given up thinking this team or org is getting anywhere. I still think we can nab a 3rd or 4th spot but it won't really matter. However if either McD or Drai pull the plug on the season, or if either get hurt, its over.

I've never seen the two this frustrated. Angry, but not in a good way. In a "This is f***ed" kind of way.
I can't imagine either are all too happy at this point with the assembled club.

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kass Contract. Losing Gagner for nothing, Giving away Sam and 2 2nds for AA. Bringing in Turris for "help"

Whats he actually doing to improve our lineup. The whole time the only player improvement he has brought in is Barrie. Thats it. There isnt another player that Holland has brought in that has made a difference. maybe Archibald. Most of Hollands pick ups are disposable junk.

Smith?

I thought Kahun was a good pickup especially at that price but he appears to be a bust sadly.

Yeah, it's pretty much disposable junk but he hasn't had much to work with. This upcoming offseason with salary flexibility will tell the true tale of the Holland era. Time to make some meaningful change, might need to start parting with some young players/prospects to get it done.

Reactions: Smartguy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Smith?

I thought Kahun was a good pickup especially at that price but he appears to be a bust sadly.

Yeah, it's pretty much disposable junk but he hasn't had much to work with. This upcoming offseason with salary flexibility will tell the true tale of the Holland era. Time to make some meaningful change, might need to start parting with some young players/prospects to get it done.
Smith is very hot and cold and unfortunately he's cold right now with his backup even colder.

Even his magnum opus trade doesn't look so hot at the moment.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Smith is very hot and cold and unfortunately he's cold right now with his backup even colder.

Even his magnum opus trade doesn't look so hot at the moment.

They scored 1 goal in 3 games, can we stop blaming the goalies? Smith is 25-14 in his two seasons here not to mention that he's one of the few Oilers who plays with any sort of passion. It was a good pickup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They scored 1 goal in 3 games, can we stop blaming the goalies? Smith is 25-14 in his two seasons here not to mention that he's one of the few Oilers who plays with any sort of passion. It was a good pickup.
I'm not saying the goalies are at fault for us losing, but if the Oilers are to make any serious noise in the post-season, neither guy is going to be the one to get us there.

I didn't mind the pickup last year but not improving the goaltending this year is going to hold the team back from the heights they might be able to achieve.

If God forbid we're staring at this pairing next year then you might as well throw in the towel.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

we got outscored 13-1. This is more than 3 games symbolically. This is an epic beat down. The only way it could be worse is if it was Calgary. if that was the case I would just cancel Cable and not watch another game.

Given up? I've given up thinking this team or org is getting anywhere. I still think we can nab a 3rd or 4th spot but it won't really matter. However if either McD or Drai pull the plug on the season, or if either get hurt, its over.

I've never seen the two this frustrated. Angry, but not in a good way. In a "This is f***ed" kind of way.

You're joking man. Turris I get same with the Kass contract. But, Losing Gagner is a bad move? Getting AA was a good move but he didn't want to stay. You forget the moving of Lucic, Ennis signing, Barrie Signing, Holloway pick, Handling of Jesse situation, Kahun (I hope he gets better), trying for OEL and Markstrom (neither wanted to come). You can't blame Koskinen and Smith fully on Holland. No one wanted that horrible Koskinen contract that Chiadouche signed and no goalie wanted to come here except Smith.

Holland wasn't in net for the Oilers man. The defence would've gotten better if OEL had not refused leaving Arizona. You seem really angry man so I'll let you cool down lol all good

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

You're joking man. Turris I get same with the Kass contract. But, Losing Gagner is a bad move? Getting AA was a good move but he didn't want to stay. You forget the moving of Lucic, Ennis signing, Barrie Signing, Holloway pick, Handling of Jesse situation, Kahun (I hope he gets better), trying for OEL and Markstrom (neither wanted to come). You can't blame Koskinen and Smith fully on Holland. No one wanted that horrible Koskinen contract that Chiadouche signed and no goalie wanted to come here except Smith.

Holland wasn't in net for the Oilers man. The defence would've gotten better if OEL had not refused leaving Arizona. You seem really angry man so I'll let you cool down lol all good

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not saying the goalies are at fault for us losing, but if the Oilers are to make any serious noise in the post-season, neither guy is going to be the one to get us there.

I didn't mind the pickup last year but not improving the goaltending this year is going to hold the team back from the heights they might be able to achieve.

If God forbid we're staring at this pairing next year then you might as well throw in the towel.

Agreed that Smith/Koskinen isn't good enough to take them far in the playoffs although I think Smith is capable of going on a big playoff run but it's not THE biggest issue IMO.

It's the defense man, it's not nearly good enough. It has and always will be what holds this team back until they can meaningfully upgrade it at the top especially. You could put Markstrom back there and still not be a contender with a defense that allows tons of high quality chances against every single game. It's a tire fire, every game, even in the 11-2 stretch.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed that Smith/Koskinen isn't good enough to take them far in the playoffs although I think Smith is capable of going on a big playoff run but it's not THE biggest issue IMO.

It's the defense man, it's not nearly good enough. It has and always will be what holds this team back until they can meaningfully upgrade it at the top especially. You could put Markstrom back there and still not be a contender with a defense that allows tons of high quality chances against every single game. It's a tire fire, every game, even in the 11-2 stretch.
I agree to an extent. Markstrom isn't going to carry this team to a Cup, but he's done wonders for a Calgary team that looks very vulnerable without him.

The defense of course needs to be upgraded, but good luck with that. Improvements are going to have to come from within.

Really, aside from center every position is a weakness for this team.

It's just frustrating because the only team(s) that stand in the way of the Oilers and a deep playoff run are Toronto and Winnipeg. When they go back to the old Pacific, they aren't getting past Vegas.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree to an extent. Markstrom isn't going to carry this team to a Cup, but he's done wonders for a Calgary team that looks very vulnerable without him.

The defense of course needs to be upgraded, but good luck with that. Improvements are going to have to come from within.

Really, aside from center every position is a weakness for this team.

It's just frustrating because the only team(s) that stand in the way of the Oilers and a deep playoff run are Toronto and Winnipeg. When they go back to the old Pacific, they aren't getting past Vegas.

I don't think they can afford to wait for that. None of Bouchard, Broberg or Samorukov are likely to be much more than solid 2nd pairing Dmen, it's the new Nurse/Klefbom essentially. They need a real lead guy on a top pairing, somebody that can anchor a top pairing. How they get that guy I have no idea but that's up to Holland.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think they can afford to wait for that. None of Bouchard, Broberg or Samorukov are likely to be much more than solid 2nd pairing Dmen, it's the new Nurse/Klefbom essentially. They need a real lead guy on a top pairing, somebody that can anchor a top pairing. How they get that guy I have no idea but that's up to Holland.
I don't think they can either but the kind of guy they want they simply won't be able to acquire.

Honestly apart from Nurse I'm not married to any of our current defensemen.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think they can either but the kind of guy they want they simply won't be able to acquire.

Honestly apart from Nurse I'm not married to any of our current defensemen.

Jones in Columbus possibly? They seem to be in a transition phase and he's due for a new contract soon. Might be time to jump on an opportunity like that, overpay drastically if you have to.
I don't know, just spitballing. Not a #1 Dman but Ekholm is a guy who can move the dial. Although I doubt he leaves Carolina, Hamilton?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Jones in Columbus possibly? They seem to be in a transition phase and he's due for a new contract soon. Might be time to jump on an opportunity like that, overpay drastically if you have to.
I don't know, just spitballing. Not a #1 Dman but Ekholm is a guy who can move the dial.
I honestly don't know. I don't think it's coming from the outside.

I think Holland should focus this year on clearing as much cap as possible. Neal and Kassian for starters.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't know, just spitballing. Not a #1 Dman but Ekholm is a guy who can move the dial. Although I doubt he leaves Carolina, Hamilton?

The word is that Hamilton and the Canes have had silence between the two camps after initial talks. Doesn’t mean a deal doesn’t get done but they have a lot of current and soon to be expensive D to worry about so they might feel they can afford to lose him.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I generally liked Hollands offseason but not doing anything with the goaltending was risky. Koskinen has been very poor this year and Smith can’t carry the load. He mismanaged the third goalie.

Alot of his moves haven’t really worked. Kassian extension was bad. AA trade. Turris signing. It’s starting to look like his good decisions aren’t really outweighing his bad ones.

Its hard to really know how much of this is a gm issue and how much is a coaching issue. Tippett doesn’t to have an idea on who to put in the line up, line combos, d pairings or making adjustments.

Ultimately Holland is in charge of Tippett. I feel like hes going to be too patient with the coach and roster. Figure out where this team is at and start making some hard decisions whether its trades or dealing with the coach.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Holland mistakes so far:

1. Losing 2 impirtant 2nd round picks for AA.
2. Losing a 5th for Green
3. Picking Broberg over Zegras (yet to be determined but Zegras was rated much higher)
4. Hiring Tippett
5. Not getting an adequate goalie.

He's bettter than Chia but it's a low bar.

Good things:

1. Getting Poolparty back.
2, Dylan Hollaway (so far)
3. Better drafting in the lower rounds
4. Getting rid of Lucic (some say it is a wash but he can buy out Neal but not Lucic)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think it has to be said that the pro Holland fanboys coming in here and bumping this thread and calling people idiots for wanting to discuss firing Holland for his less than successful tenure here, and with his recent stint in Detroit prior... Jinxed the f*** out of the team with their stupid attempts to get this thread deleted.

It didn't take long for that winning streak to dry up and a bad losing streak to bring this conversation back up in a completely rational manner.

It should be a lesson to all to not try to police threads with their opinions and to accept that Oilers management will almost certainly make you look stupid for supporting them.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think it has to be said that the pro Holland fanboys coming in here and bumping this thread and calling people idiots for wanting to discuss firing Holland for his less than successful tenure here, and with his recent stint in Detroit prior... Jinxed the f*** out of the team with their stupid attempts to get this thread deleted.

It didn't take long for that winning streak to dry up and a bad losing streak to bring this conversation back up in a completely rational manner.

It should be a lesson to all to not try to police threads with their opinions and to accept that Oilers management will almost certainly make you look stupid for supporting them.
You are very predictable.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You have to fire Bobby Burgers before Holland. If Burgers fires Holland, he will just have to call Holland the next day for a refresher course of what a POHO and GM are supposed to do in the NHL. Would be awkward.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

JBear

Mar 26, 2014

Forums have no affect on the game whatsoever and cannot jinx the team.

I suspect the Oilers will rebound and play decent hockey. They are competing with Winnipeg and Montreal for the #2 spot in this division. Let's remember their past 9 games in terms of series excluding the past Toronto games.

2-0 vs Canucks
2-0 vs Flames
1-1 vs Winnipeg
1-0 vs Montreal
2-0 vs Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad