Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The Promote Ken Holland thread should receive an auto bump everytime this one gets a bump then we can compare at the end of the year.

Reactions: tardigrade81

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
This is such a horseshit take. The Oilers have won 1 series since 2006. I know I'd be damn thrilled to even win a series this year.

We're negative because years of the Oilers being trash have worn us down. I'd be damn happy to punch a team in the mouth come playoff time.

I'm tired of people always needing a qualifying statement for everything.

"Yeah they won, but they got outplayed."

"Yeah they're 12-8, but 4 of those wins were against Ottawa".

That's the real horseshit if you ask me.

The fact that this team is starting to win more games that they don't play that well in is SO promising. That's what good teams do. Nobody wins every game they play well in and loses every game they play poorly in, that's just not how hockey ever works.

I understand being pissed off about how the organization has been run for the last 15 years, but most of those responsible are either gone or in dramatically reduced roles now, and Ken Holland has been slowly unf***ing the mess that Chiarelli left us. So I would basically advocate for not getting too high or too low about whatever happens this season. For the first time in a while we are able to field a competent team, even with injuries. Yeah, there are some players that need to be replaced/upgraded when possible, but we have some depth AND we have some promising prospects for the first time in a while.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
But what if it was a so-so series that they win in 7? Followed by another ho-hum 2nd round won in 6? :sarcasm:

We all know there would be posters (not saying you) that would be bitching and moaning about the way they won those series.

Series are always different than a game, though. If you win a series, you did enough to beat a team 4 times out of 7 and in more cases than not, deserved that victory. Winning a game despite playing poorly could be a sign that you're about to start losing more games.

I'd be surprised if there'd be as much criticism in a series win. I don't recall many complaining about the San Jose series win and there were things we could have done better.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I understand being pissed off about how the organization has been run for the last 15 years, but most of those responsible are either gone or in dramatically reduced roles now, and Ken Holland has been slowly unf***ing the mess that Chiarelli left us. So I would basically advocate for not getting too high or too low about whatever happens this season. For the first time in a while we are able to field a competent team, even with injuries. Yeah, there are some players that need to be replaced/upgraded when possible, but we have some depth AND we have some promising prospects for the first time in a while.
it's greatkeith dude, he'd complain if it took Oilers 5 games to win the Cup instead of a sweep

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

A lot of this stuff was said after the 2016-17 season, so I remain cautious.

I'd prefer Kevin Lowe and Bob Nicholson to be unemployed. I also understand that the real changes will come in this offseason. The Oilers have successfully dug themselves out of one hole this season, and I sure hope that there isn't another hole they have to dig themselves out of.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Considering my first year of being a fan involved a Cup Final appearance, there's a lot I'd do to experience that high again instead of the 15 years that followed.
At least you got to see a finals. Think of all the poor, stupid bastards who took up Oil colors after 06, haha.

What a bunch of idiots.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
At least you got to see a finals. Think of all the poor, stupid bastards who took up Oil colors after 06, haha.

What a bunch of idiots.
They certainly deserve some pity along with a head examination.

To be fair, the 2007-08 season was a lot of fun too. Shame it got cut short. f***ing Owen Nolan.

Reactions: GOilers88

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Has he been fired yet?

No?

I'm sure the announcement is upcoming since our goalie let 1 in from the corner. I'll wait.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
200.gif

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

The fact that this team is starting to win more games that they don't play that well in is SO promising. That's what good teams do. Nobody wins every game they play well in and loses every game they play poorly in, that's just not how hockey ever works.

10-2 in their last 12, but they have McDavid. Not fair

Reactions: TB12 and McOilers97

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

There is a big difference between being the best of the best and best of the worst. It's great we are kicking ass and doing well but there is a lot to consider when talking about how good this team "really" is.

Calgary has not played Ottawa yet. The fan base is losing its mind and they have not played as bad as we did prior to playing Ottawa. They really busted us out of our slump.

Calgary plays Ottawa 5 of their next 7 or something like that. It will be interesting to see where they are in the standings after that and where we are.

We have taken great steps to becoming a great team but personally when I watch the games I don't see the Oilers as a power house. More so they are finding ways to get it done against poor teams finding new ways to lose.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

There is a big difference between being the best of the best and best of the worst. It's great we are kicking ass and doing well but there is a lot to consider when talking about how good this team "really" is.

Calgary has not played Ottawa yet. The fan base is losing its mind and they have not played as bad as we did prior to playing Ottawa. They really busted us out of our slump.

Calgary plays Ottawa 5 of their next 7 or something like that. It will be interesting to see where they are in the standings after that and where we are.

We have taken great steps to becoming a great team but personally when I watch the games I don't see the Oilers as a power house. More so they are finding ways to get it done against poor teams finding new ways to lose.
:laugh: Prime example right after.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

agreed. Winnipeg and Toronto have played Ottawa 5 times vs our 4 times, so why is it only an asterisk for us?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
agreed. Winnipeg and Toronto have played Ottawa 5 times vs our 4 times, so why is it only an asterisk for us?

There is no difference. Asterisks all around. Its why everyone is laughing at Toronto thinking they are best team in the league. Also a good reason to not sleep too much on Calgary who have yet to feast, I mean play them.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There is no difference. Asterisks all around. Its why everyone is laughing at Toronto thinking they are best team in the league. Also a good reason to not sleep too much on Calgary who have yet to feast, I mean play them.

When you exclude us, Ottawa is 5-4 in their last 9 games. They’re not the free points you’re making them out to be just because we beat them

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Vancouver feasted but look where they are? Montreal is doing the opposite against Ottawa?

Contrary to popular belief the Sens aren’t losing every single game this year. The standings are going to be set by how the other 6 teams play against each other, with just a little bit on who beats up on Ottawa the most. Edmonton and Winnipeg are the only teams to have 4 wins against Ottawa thus far.

This is a critical 4 game set for Calgary though, that much is true. If they don’t, at the very least, go 3-1 to gain some ground on Montreal it’s going to be close to the end IMO.

As the standings stand right now,IMO Vancouver and Ottawa are done, barring being the best team in the division from here on out and going on a run they won’t be able to make the ground up the next 35ish games as Vancouver has played the most games in the division, by 3 or 4 on some teams, and Ottawa the second most at 21, tied with Edmonton. With only 35 games left that’s already a hill to climb.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You do realize that they've beaten every team in the division in this stretch, right? So everybody in the division is a poor team?
Furthermore, they aren't beating teams the same way. Every win seems to be done in a different fashion and even in their 2 losses in this 12 game stretch against the Leafs and Jets, they deserved a better fate in the Jets game in particular.

Also, enough of this Ottawa wins mean less nonsense. They just beat the Habs back to back and carried the play in both of those games. They've also beaten the Leafs multiple times. They are a lot better than people are giving them credit for. Fun team to watch actually.

Finally, nobody is saying that this team is a powerhouse. Stop framing what people are saying into something it's not which is something you have a habit of doing (See, Broberg=Hedman comments).

The reality is that the Oilers are playing well, they're finding different ways to win games and yes, some improvement is definitely needed in some areas and they aren't a great team (yet) but jeez, let people enjoy this stretch without dousing every little bit of enjoyment with negativity. Not everything has to be an extreme on the Fire Holland side or the Erect a Statue for Holland side. Some measured posts would be nice.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
When you exclude us, Ottawa is 5-4 in their last 9 games. They’re not the free points you’re making them out to be just because we beat them

Vancouver feasted but look where they are? Montreal is doing the opposite against Ottawa?

Contrary to popular belief the Sens aren’t losing every single game this year. The standings are going to be set by how the other 6 teams play against each other, with just a little bit on who beats up on Ottawa the most. Edmonton and Winnipeg are the only teams to have 4 wins against Ottawa thus far.

This is a critical 4 game set for Calgary though, that much is true. If they don’t, at the very least, go 3-1 to gain some ground on Montreal it’s going to be close to the end IMO.

As the standings stand right now,IMO Vancouver and Ottawa are done, barring being the best team in the division from here on out and going on a run they won’t be able to make the ground up the next 35ish games as Vancouver has played the most games in the division, by 3 or 4 on some teams, and Ottawa the second most at 21, tied with Edmonton. With only 35 games left that’s already a hill to climb.

You do realize that they've beaten every team in the division in this stretch, right? So everybody in the division is a poor team?
Furthermore, they aren't beating teams the same way. Every win seems to be done in a different fashion and even in their 2 losses in this 12 game stretch against the Leafs and Jets, they deserved a better fate in the Jets game in particular.

Also, enough of this Ottawa wins mean less nonsense. They just beat the Habs back to back and carried the play in both of those games. They've also beaten the Leafs multiple times. They are a lot better than people are giving them credit for. Fun team to watch actually.

Finally, nobody is saying that this team is a powerhouse. Stop framing what people are saying into something it's not which is something you have a habit of doing (See, Broberg=Hedman comments).

The reality is that the Oilers are playing well, they're finding different ways to win games and yes, some improvement is definitely needed in some areas and they aren't a great team (yet) but jeez, let people enjoy this stretch without dousing every little bit of enjoyment with negativity. Not everything has to be an extreme on the Fire Holland side or the Erect a Statue for Holland side. Some measured posts would be nice.

I'm not stating anything that isn't known. Ottawa is a crap team and they were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the nhl. The hyperbole for once is on the other side of the conversation.

They are not "free" points but they are relatively easy points.

Point in case will be when/if Calgary gains 7+ points over their next 5 games versus Ottawa. A rate to which is significantly higher than their current point per game rate without playing Ottawa.

Of course if Ottawa does manage to even split with Calgary I will be one happy camper and I'm not sure that will prove much more than Calgary is terrible too.

I jumped into this conversation just to be on the side of rational thought. I'm not advocating to fire him anymore, I don't think anyone is currently, but before we all start jumping to his defense and pointing at the standings I think we should wait and see.

This is a strange year with a lot of highs and lows.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I'm not stating anything that isn't known. Ottawa is a crap team and they were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the nhl. The hyperbole for once is on the other side of the conversation.

They are not "free" points but they are relatively easy points.

Point in case will be when/if Calgary gains 7+ points over their next 5 games versus Ottawa. A rate to which is significantly higher than their current point per game rate without playing Ottawa.

Of course if Ottawa does manage to even split with Calgary I will be one happy camper and I'm not sure that will prove much more than Calgary is terrible too.

I jumped into this conversation just to be on the side of rational thought. I'm not advocating to fire him anymore, I don't think anyone is currently, but before we all start jumping to his defense and pointing at the standings I think we should wait and see.

This is a strange year with a lot of highs and lows.
Ha ha. Long term thinker I see.
Funny. Predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad