Fire Ken Holland

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by DropTheGloves, Feb 7, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. oilexport Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I was hard on Holland for the AA deal, among other things.

He played pool party correctly, but got a little lucky.

We got a shot this year

We still need a goalie....NOW

I am the Liquor likes this.
  2. Tobias Kahun Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It’s great.

TB12 likes this.
  3. DropTheGloves Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    I agree with most of this except “we got a shot”. Still three major pieces away (goalie, 3C, 2LD) from being a contender, to say nothing of the current screaming need for goalie depth (no, I don’t believe Smith can keep this up for 20+ more games). Holland deserves credit for Barrie, some but not a ton for JP, and pretty much every other addition has been a shrug.

I am the Liquor likes this.
  4. Mr Positive Cap Crunch Incoming

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The JP situation was not luck. It was Holland being strong willed, instead of being weak and wanting the situation to just go away. Even if JP still busted, it was the right call to keep him. The asset we would have got for him would have been low ranking, like a 3rd rounder. It's worth it to gamble on the chance that JP improve, and even if JP busted, it sends the message to all our RFAs that you don't get to demand a trade just because you'd prefer it. If you go down that path it will be bumpy for you.

5. CarlWising Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This thread represents the worst part of oilers fandom.

6. BudBundy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    When a guy inherits a team with little cap space, lots of bad contracts, and precious few assets/areas of strength from which to deal, small wins and shrug deals are great. And make no mistake, that’s where Chiarelli left us. Holland hasn’t panicked and done anything stupid. Like massively overpay to outbid Calgary for Markstrom. He hasn’t been perfect but his work has been very good. There will be opportunities to add a goalie without breaking the bank. McLoed and Holloway are on the 3C horizon, and Turris on a cheap contract was a solid bet. Haas has looked pretty good in that spot, and you know who brought him in. #2 LHD has Broberg and Samorukov coming and it’s only open because our best LHD went down with injury. RHD is looking great.

7. McShogun99 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I always wondered if the JP to Europe situation was setup by Holland and JP to help his development since Chia and TM screwed him around for 3 years. JP going to Europe for the year was the best thing he could do. If he played last year in Edmonton he’s be rotating between the PB and the 4th line and not getting those prime scoring minutes.

8. HockeyGuy1964 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    We should still fire him though because he did something at some point that I didn't agree with or I would have done differently.

I could do the job better &, while we're at it, would name myself coach since he's also done or said something I don't agree with & being a member of the most knowledgeable fan base in hockey makes me imminently qualified.

Winning is the easiest thing ever & I know a thing or two about winning.

9. Oilhawks Draisaitl to Kahun!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    ‘Member when Holland should have been fired for losing Forsberg to waivers to protect the D depth?

4 injuries and still icing 6 NHL D

10. Aerchon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Holland still has a plethora of questionable moves and lets not lose focus without Ottawa this is a 500 team. The product on the ice certainly does not reflect a power house... yet. The Oilers are reaping the benefits of three teams having meltdowns.

Looking forward to eating so much crow on Holland but it's too early for that. We had one of the worst starts to the season I can remember with a much better roster than any during the decade of darkness.

11. TB12 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Can we lock this thread? It’s honestly embarrassing. Regardless of which side of the debate you are on.

12. 5 Mins 4 Ftg Honey Badger don’t give a sh!t Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    None
    Agree.

oilblue, 5 14 6 1 and TB12 like this.
  13. CupofOil German Gretzky, back to being German Kurri

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    So let me get this straight, this is a much better roster yet Holland still doesn't deserve praise from you? O...k

Yeah it's too early to crown Holland as a success here but it's certainly not too early to call this an idiotic thread that should be shot into the sun.

14. GOilers88 Fer Da

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    To acknowledge that the roster has been much improved in a relatively short period after it was completely hamstrung by incompetence and cap issues while simultaneously suggesting a slow start is the fault of the GM and he is somehow failing is certainly an interesting stance to take indeed.

The team is now taking advantage of a weaker division, like everyone wanted them to and some cried about when they didn't for 9 games, and somehow that's now an indictment on how the roster has been constructed?

If you still don't think this team is as good as any in the North division and has a legit chance to take it then I don't know what to say. There is absolutely no team in Canada that is head and shoulders above the rest, and I already have my money down that Toronto doesn't finish the season atop the division.

TB12 likes this.
  15. Tobias Kahun Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The oilers are 9-2 in their last 11, and could of won the 2 games they lost.

16. LMFAO Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Okay Ken

how hard is it to send a conditionnal 7th rounder to Ottawa for Michael Haley?

17. ThePhoenixx Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Are you guys still firing Ken?

18. Tobias Kahun Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Id rather that loser stay in Ottawa and the oilers focus on winning games.

19. McOilers97 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If the Oilers won the Stanley Cup there would still be people in here complaining because they got outshot, or that they won a game where they gave up more HDCA than the opponent.

Oilhawks likes this.
  20. bone 5-14-6-1

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    That still was a mistake, but fortunately we've weathered it without too much damage. You can't convince me that on January 13th Lagesson would have been claimed on waivers, when every other similar or better prospect cleared easily. I'm less convinced he'd clear today, but at that time every team was trying to get someone similar through the waiver wire.

21. Oilhawks Draisaitl to Kahun!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Definitely wasn't amazing that it turned out that way (and could have been worse), but it's not a stretch to think that one of the 30 teams that feels they didn't have enough depth to claim him. He's on a good contract too.

It would have been a disaster if he was claimed and the LD depth looked like:

Nurse

Jones
    Russell

Lennstrom

22. bone 5-14-6-1

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    That still would have been good enough to have taken the risk.

It's moreso that for several weeks we were a pulled groin from starting Stuart Skinner with Dylan Wells backing him up, whereas we still would have had 9 defensemen to fill out the roster as Lennstrom would have stayed, and several other d-men would have been waived in the meantime. To me it was just a far bigger risk.

That said, it really only happened because Don Waddell is a f***ing Asshole.

Oilhawks likes this.
  23. GreatKeith Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Accountant
    This is such a horseshit take. The Oilers have won 1 series since 2006. I know I'd be damn thrilled to even win a series this year.

We're negative because years of the Oilers being trash have worn us down. I'd be damn happy to punch a team in the mouth come playoff time.

24. Oilhawks Draisaitl to Kahun!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    But what if it was a so-so series that they win in 7? Followed by another ho-hum 2nd round won in 6? :sarcasm:

We all know there would be posters (not saying you) that would be bitching and moaning about the way they won those series.

25. GreatKeith Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Accountant
    A win's a win in the playoffs. We beat the defending conference champs and lost to the Ducks in a very hard fought series. I certainly thought things would be trending better after that year... 2017-18 stung so hard.

Oilhawks likes this.