Fire Hextall

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course this is a rebuild, the veterans people complain about were obtained with "negative" assets (i.e trade throw-ins to obtain more picks or holdovers, Weise was the only FA).
If Hextall was trying to win now, he'd have traded picks for veterans instead of trading Schenn for picks.
He's completely rebuilt the team from top to bottom, the only players left over from when he took the reins are G, V, Couts, Simmonds, Raffl and MacDonald.

And he built the best talent pipeline in the NHL without tanking.

What people are complaining about is that the team has remained marginally competitive, so they actually think the NHL product should be improved, ignoring that the talent base has eroded because the kids take 5-6 years to develop (4 years or so to make the NHL and be productive, and 3 or 4 drafts to build a critical mass of young talent).

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I dont necessarily want Hextall fired, but i want some type of reaction or course correction to occur. I think for the most part he has done a good job. His veteran acquisitions have been bad but he drafts well.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK isn't little, 5'10 204 lbs.
Laberger was a miss, can't hit on all of them, no one does.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
hextall took konecny over aho and he took laberge over debrincat. he passed on arvidsson, point and dvorak when he took NAK. Not great drafting at all really.

Come on Hatcher, you can't look back on the what ifs like that and you know it.

Laberge over Debrincat...sure. But Laberge was also a guy who seemed to be on the rise.
Dvorak had 14 points in 33 games in the OHL his draft year. Nak had 53 pts in 65 games
Arv and Point were 3rd and 4th rd picks...crapshoots that every team passed on.

Reality is, since Hextall has taken over, no team has had as many guys do to the WJC as us. That's good drafting as it gives you more chances to have better players.

But as of today, only 4 guys that Hextall has drafted have made the Flyers(Provy, TK, Patrick and Sanheim). The rest are still developing.

Patience and rebuilding thru the draft is hard....especially from a fanbase that is used to quick fixes.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Come on Hatcher, you can't look back on the what ifs like that and you know it.

Laberge over Debrincat...sure. But Laberge was also a guy who seemed to be on the rise.
Dvorak had 14 points in 33 games in the OHL his draft year. Nak had 53 pts in 65 games
Arv and Point were 3rd and 4th rd picks...crapshoots that every team passed on.

Reality is, since Hextall has taken over, no team has had as many guys do to the WJC as us. That's good drafting as it gives you more chances to have better players.

But as of today, only 4 guys that Hextall has drafted have made the Flyers(Provy, TK, Patrick and Sanheim). The rest are still developing.

Patience and rebuilding thru the draft is hard....especially from a fanbase that is used to quick fixes.
those young players are starring while our are struggling. I'm not looking back but when you see that it doesn't look like such great drafting either. All those youngsters are part of why there teams are winning. We'll see but I have been saying I don't trust Hextall and it showing in more ways then one so far.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hextall's comments about defense is concerning. He kept saying "they're coming" and once they show up they want to go back to using veterans that flat out aren't very good besides Gudas? This team is regressing this season unless you don't know the definition of regression.

Makes me continue to question his other decisions and his thought process going into them.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
those young players are starring while our are struggling. I'm not looking back but when you see that it doesn't look like such great drafting either. All those youngsters are part of why there teams are winning. We'll see but I have been saying I don't trust Hextall and it showing in more ways then one so far.

In any sport, you can cherry pick the "misses," gee, every team passed on Tom Brady FIVE TIMES. Including the Patriots - if a team thought a 4th rd pick would play like a 1st rd pick, they'd have taken him in the 1st or 2nd round.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
When Konecny pulled that drive by when he should and hammered that d and got the game going that's part of why were losing. Point is a f***ing animal to p
In any sport, you can cherry pick the "misses," gee, every team passed on Tom Brady FIVE TIMES. Including the Patriots - if a team thought a 4th rd pick would play like a 1st rd pick, they'd have taken him in the 1st or 2nd round.
I'm pointing out that it doesn't look like that great of drafting. I don't care who we take because next to Provy the rest have done shit to make a winning team. All of the players hexy passed on are becoming young stars and our aren't doing much and Patrick better be hurt because he should have been sent back in reality. He doesn't make players better and is really slow.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yes...and no.

Dvorak isn't helping AZ win.
Point is on a contender...and helping them
Ardivsson was an overager...he is 24 years old. Our 4th rounder that year is Lindblom who is still 21 years old. Where will he be in 3 years? When Arvidsson was 21 he was a rookie in the AHL like Lindblom is.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Yes...and no.

Dvorak isn't helping AZ win.
Point is on a contender...and helping them
Ardivsson was an overager...he is 24 years old. Our 4th rounder that year is Lindblom who is still 21 years old. Where will he be in 3 years? When Arvidsson was 21 he was a rookie in the AHL like Lindblom is.
Just saying they do more then our youngsters that's all. Hopefully our play better in afew seasons. Again I don't care who we pick as long as it helps one day. Hexy hasn't been that great at all really and his trade of Coburn was the only win with players coming back. Do not trust that man at all. No one does anymore.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just saying they do more then our youngsters that's all. Hopefully our play better in afew seasons. Again I don't care who we pick as long as it helps one day. Hexy hasn't been that great at all really and his trade of Coburn was the only win with players coming back. Do not trust that man at all. No one does anymore.
I have no issue with people doubting him, because we are what we are. But we are also 3/5th of the way thru the rebuild. The guys he drafted, are just rookies and still in the AHL, CHL, SHL, etc... It's hard to judge him on the end results of his drafting when those kids are all still developing. But what we can see, is that a lot of them are doing well in those development leagues and are being chosen to play on the top WJC teams more than any other NHL team.

I just look at it that if Hext is taking the long rebuild, then keep going and trade Simmonds too as he can get back a few future pieces to help us too. But I think they do want to re-sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad