Fire Hextall

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
First of all I am not saying we should have been a cup contender by now. We could, however, be showing signs of progress as a unit over the past 4 years.

Hiring competent coaching staffs at the NHL or AHL level, keeping Brayden Schenn on the roster instead of picks and cap dumps, not awarding MacDonald, Manning, and Lehtera with guaranteed roster spots over kids that we are allegedly building around would all be nice starts. You know, the sort of basic stuff that doesn't intentionally hurt your own team for the sake of patience.

2022 is a completely arbitrary cutoff date that is my exact issue with this broken "process." Hextall can't be held accountable without accusations of impatience. Even if I do agree with the 2022 contender date, don't you think we should start improving immediately if that is in anyway a realistic goal?
No issue calling out the coach(s). I don't disagree they are not getting the job done.

Some drafted players ARE showing signs, Couturier, Ghost, Provo, I personally think Patrick has shown alot in his limited time.

Every rebuilding team has a bunch of clod veterans. You can't have a team of all young kids. TK is NOT getting the job done. Martel isn't doing jack with his opportunity. Some guys are just not ready...today.

2022 is not an arbitrary date, its 7 years after the 2015 draft, most of the 2014-2017 draft classes will be either productive NHL Flyers by that point, or busted out..we should know exactly who we have.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Redpath-
Yes but it's like maxing out a credit card to buy the nicest ****, then blaming the poor soul that has to pay that card off the next decade.

2009, 2010, 2011 produced 2 players still in the NHL....one on our team. We are paying today for that gap in bad drafting.

2012 guys are Ghost, Laughton, Leier
Lots of the most recent drafts are not here yet.

Point is, that 2009-2011 guys are the 24-26 year olds that should be in their prime, and we have 1 guy helping us....Couts. You just can't have long gaps of bad drafting as it catches you.
And previously, when Homer cashed in all those picks for players circa 2010, you could actually sign useful free agents. That is dead now.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Redpath-
Yes but it's like maxing out a credit card to buy the nicest ****, then blaming the poor soul that has to pay that card off the next decade.

2009, 2010, 2011 produced 2 players still in the NHL....one on our team. We are paying today for that gap in bad drafting.

Point is, that 2009-2011 guys are the 24-26 year olds that should be in their prime, and we have 1 guy helping us....Couts. You just can't have long gaps of bad drafting as it catches you.

Again, I acknowledge that Holmgren was never a perfect GM (No one is). His philosophy was high risk, high reward that made us cup favorites.

Hextall has done a great job of reloading the pool. Now I'd expect him to realize that progress must be made and his job doesn't end on draft day

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Redpath-

Clearly Hex doesn't agree with you, because he traded Schenn for draft picks.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You do realize that we had to do this deep rebuild thru the draft because there was nothing left in the cupboard.

And holmgren had no cap when started...lot easier to fix mistakes.

Everybody has completely gone insane....Holmgren??? Really? Holmgren was an unmitigated disaster for this franchise. I'm not totally off the Hextall bandwagon...he is just being political right now which is annoying as hell. But again what he says and what he thinks as somebody pointed out could be completely opposite. I'm unhappy with what this team has become ...clearly it has a long way to go but at least we have something in the cupboard to sustain....and hopefully build upon. Maybe we are overestimating our prospects but it is a bit too early to discount them that is for sure....

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I think if we kept Schenn, and re signed Mason, signed a decent back up goalie... HELL even Elliott. And had Lindblom / Del Zotto here. We would be be better. No Manning, no Lehtera.

Giroux--Couturier--Schenn
Konecny--Patrick--Voracek
Weal--Fillpula--Simmonds
Lindblom--Laughton--Leier

Provorov--Gostisbehere
Del Zotto--Gudas
Hagg--Macdonald
(Sanheim/Manning) call up / #7

Mason
Elliott

And this still keeps us around the same salary wise. That way we kept chemistry and still had depth. And a winning enviournment in the minors.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nope. Hextall stays. He was given a near possible assignment of keeping the team competitive while rebuilding. There was no win for Hextall on that. However, his coaching choices have been horrible. He needs to hit homeruns on his next coaching hires, for certain.
This I agree with.....he needs to man up and admit Hak isn't cutting it.....

GingerJesusG

Jun 27, 2015
Martel has been good. Hes fast and picks up loose pucks play him with Weal and Simmonds.

Get Pronger to coach ffs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They will play young players if they're physically ready, Provorov, Hagg, Sanheim's minutes are increasing as he gets acclimated. Konency gets 3rd line minutes approaching 2nd line minutes. Hextall does worry about getting smaller players injured playing against men.

I think they're protecting Patrick, he doesn't look 100% and why would you push him when he could be a top player for 10-15 years? Err on the side of caution.

There are two reasons Morin is in the AHL, one is simply that he wasn't dominant last year and Hextall feels no urgency (Morin or Hagg is a wash right now, two years from now, could be a different story), and Hextall just doesn't want 5 inexperienced players on his defense at the same time. Which is reasonable. Morin and Myers will be up next year at the latest.

As was pointed out, this team is missing the 23-26 year old players who should be the core of the rebuild. Guys who play limited minutes for a couple of years then break out at 22-23 and become core players. Hextall has been patching around this issue for four years, Weise is the only real FA and $2.35M a year isn't exactly shopping in the high price aisle. Filppula is another veteran patch, Lehtera and Read are bodies.

Everything had to go right to make the playoffs obviously things haven't.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I also don't think Hextall is in any hurry to fire Hakstol because hiring a new coach won't make them a playoff team, it's obvious they're just not that talented yet. With these goalies, you need above average talent in the front 18 to contend.

So he may be biding time, if the team doesn't turn around, he'll want to unload some veterans, but that requires waiting until January or so when half their salary is gone for the year and teams have a better sense whether they want to be buyers.

Reactions: achdumeingute

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think if we kept Schenn, and re signed Mason, signed a decent back up goalie... HELL even Elliott. And had Lindblom / Del Zotto here. We would be be better. No Manning, no Lehtera.

Giroux--Couturier--Schenn
Konecny--Patrick--Voracek
Weal--Fillpula--Simmonds
Lindblom--Laughton--Leier

Provorov--Gostisbehere
Del Zotto--Gudas
Hagg--Macdonald
(Sanheim/Manning) call up / #7

Mason
Elliott

And this still keeps us around the same salary wise. That way we kept chemistry and still had depth. And a winning enviournment in the minors.
And we'd still be a middling 6-8 seed at best.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I’m not at this point yet. Hextall has done a lot of good putting together a lot of talent. Yes, his hiring and refusal to get rid of Hakstol is currently wasting that, but getting rid of a coach is a lot easier fix than starting over which canning a GM usually means.

I’m willing to hold out for quite a while because I like just about everything Hextall has done with the exception of the coaching situation. I think he’ll eventually come around on it, it’s just taking way longer than everyone else wants.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And we'd still be a middling 6-8 seed at best.

We wouldn't be a playoff team, period.
Who would Schenn play with?
Mason sucks as bad or worse than Elliiott, remember?
If Lindblom was ready, he'd have started the year in Philly.
And so on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yup. Time for Ron to hit the bricks too now that we know where he stands. Hes lost his fire. He is complacent. Allowing Hak to keep coaching this team is a slap in the face to the players and fans.

Reactions: Umphreys Mcgee

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me to see Hextall not fire Hakstol. I said it to before he's a middle of the road GM nothing more, nothing less. Not the best GM in the league like some of you want to believe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad