Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There's just some sort of frustrated malaise going on that seems to have affected the team, the coaching staff, and the fanbase. Especially the fanbase.

Meh, we can be unhappy not that it means much. Torts is Torts, nothing has changed there. He did get a crappy hand this season, JK kind of screwed the pooch a bit. Not completely his fault, but I've been saying for 3 seasons now this was coming so I don't have a lot of sympathy for JK.

My issues with Torts were before this season and nothing has changed. My reasons haven't changed and they aren't related to our performance so far. The performance has been fairly predictable, so I'm not all that concerned about it.

We had a bit of a run (multiple playoff seasons in a row) and we're kind of retooling right now. JK was a bit of tool (some of his decisions) and Torts is always a bit of a tool. Let's see what they do next.

ZipCity

Dec 14, 2019
Gahanna
Haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if this has been said before:

There's a reason that Torts has been very successful as a coach in the NHL

And there's a reason that every team eventually tires of him

I think we're in the "tired of him" phase

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Torts has come very close to maximizing the performance of this roster.

It's a Bettman .500 talent level roster

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Jackets are playing Torts hockey, no doubt about that. Most of the time. the main problems continue to be lack of scoring and goalie lapses. I don't think he can do anything about goalie lapses but I sure wish he would teach offense to some degree. I watch other teams and I see better passing, guys getting into position to receive passes is key areas and guys skating the puck in. On balance I believe we are in the "tired of Torts" phase as suggested by ZipCity and that on balance a change would be good. I think it should happen at the end of the season. To me this season is a loss, even if somehow miraculously the team rallies and gets the 2nd WC. BFD. They have little or no chance of advancing in the playoffs. The best draft position possible is what I want.

Reactions: Madifer

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that this season should b focused upon developing young players & maximizing our draft position. I agree that even if we somehow slipped into the 2WC spot we have no realistic shot to make any headway in the playoffs.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm curious about the percentage of time for each coach's tenor for which there has been a "Fire Coach X" thread. It seems like it's around 95%.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
We have regressed hugely, and this following our first playoff series win ever.

It is clear that Torts needs to go. Maybe if we're lucky we can get Babcock next year.
I am not arguing for or against Torts but...

...last season...in a full 82 games the CBJ had a total of 21 rookie games played...
...this season...in just 35 games...the CBJ have a total of 128 rookie games played...and none of the rooks are Matthews, McDavid, Laine caliber players...
...plus the team lost not only their best offensive player from last season but one of the most dynamic forwards in the entire world...

But it's Torts fault the team has regressed? SMH! There are plenty of arguments that perhaps Torts has outstayed his welcome here (again I am not arguing for or against it) but the suggestion the team has regressed is his fault is pretty weak.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Should ANYBODY be held "responsible" for Panarin leaving??

You can question spending assets on Duchene, and especially Dzingel, and ignoring my personal feelings on Bob, it would be a huge F-U to the players and fans to move Panarin last year, before or after being able to possibly move him before the year started for a younger "replacement", for a full year (+?) of Panarin.

--THE TEAM WAS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO BE NEGATIVELY IMPACTED BY PANARIN LEAVING--

Who has said something otherwise??

back-to-back-to-back-to-back....?

this might be better in a different thread

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ are 2-6 in their last 8 games. They have 6 more games before the Christmas break. 4 of these games are against bad teams-NJ, OTT, LA, and DET. If they go, say, 2-4 in this stretch, I think there's a good chance that Torts gets a pink slip before play resumes on December 27.

I'm not in favor of this, but the season will be close to halfway over and if a change is going to be made with an eye on this season, then it would have to made soon and this break seems like the logical time for the pink slip.

I thought-even though I wasn't in favor of it-that Torts would have been dismissed at the end of this current stretch of games had he gone 2-4 over it. He's 4-0-1.

I think that people who want Torts gone are going to have to wait for a bit longer. Maybe a lot longer. If he can get this group to 90+ points-which I think is unlikely- I think he's in the running for the Jack Adams Award. There's a lot of season left, but having this group at 2 games over Bettman .500 is a huge coaching accomplishment.

Just a reminder that 2 games over ".500" translates to 23rd in the league. The idea that .500 with loser points constitutes average is not accurate. Even with the current 5-0-2 streak, the CBJ are a significantly below average team at this point in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Im still a fan of Torts and am not in favor of firing him I am however in favor of him retiring or moving to the front office for a more offensive coach. I love the physical game he coaches and we are known for but the players we have now arent really in that style.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The current non injured CBJ forwards roster reads like an AHL line up. There is not one non debatable first liner for a good team. There's only two top 6 forwards in the entire line up in PLD and Nyquist.

Torts is doing an incredible job although I expect the bottom to fall out with the loss of Korpisalo.

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Salute to the team from Torts on down. Coach is putting the boys out there and giving them a chance to win nightly and they're responding with heart. Heart is the key in this sport and this group is mustering plenty of it.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Given the recent developments and the positive impact Torts is having on our young players I think the title if this thread needs to be changed to "lets extend Torts".

Reactions: SuperGenius

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
Given the recent developments and the positive impact Torts is having on our young players I think the title if this thread needs to be changed to "lets extend Torts".

Bah Gawd !!!! Don't.. Don't.. Don't do it. Think of your family... Think of the FANS!...Think of everyone!!....Don't do it.... No... NO.. Don't do it man!!!!!!!!!

~Jim Ross

Bah Gawd !!! Don't do it. Think of your family, Think of the fans man... Don't do it... No ... NO.... Don't Do it.....!!!!

~Jim Ro
Bah Gawd !!! Don't do it. Think of your family, Think of the fans man... Don't do it... No ... NO.... Don't Do it.....!!!!

~Jim Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad