Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
When I read the story about Torts the first thing that ran through my mind is that he rescues dogs. I've adopted rescue dogs myself. A person working with abused animals has to be tough but they also need to know where the lines are. They need to know when to push, raise their voice, reward and stop. They also need to be aware of what's happening with the dog they're training. I've learned more about things like pack behavior and listening and watching since starting to work with dogs. It's also amazing how much can translate between the animal and human world - especially when it comes to packs, teams, etc.

Reactions: thebus88 and cslebn

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Yes, lets fire the winningist coach CBJ history, 15th winningist coach in NHL history, and go get some guy that might increase points for a few games. That makes total sense. The way they played against Washington is what they are capable of. The players need to do it consistantly. At some point the players need to be accountable.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Yes, lets fire the winningist coach CBJ history, 15th winningist coach in NHL history, and go get some guy that might increase points for a few games. That makes total sense. The way they played against Washington is what they are capable of. The players need to do it consistantly. At some point the players need to be accountable.

Coaches get hired to be fired.
Bottom line is we again have the youngest team in the league, and Torts is more the guy you use to get the most out of a veteran team, not really to develop young guys.
I was a big fan of Hitch when he was here. Management/Ownership loved him (at the PSL holder event when they said this was a Hitch Team) - somewhere along the line the guys quit playing for him and he was let go.
Do you let hime ride out the season? Maybe. Do you can him now? Maybe. Do you keep your eyes open for a guy who can help you develop and attract and retain talent - YES.
The NHL poll last season where NHL players said they didn't want to play for him spoke volumes to me.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

So the coach gets credit for the wins and the players are to blame for the loss. Oh, I get it now.

And as far as being the winningist coach in Jackets history not a very high bar to clear.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
So the coach gets credit for the wins and the players are to blame for the loss. Oh, I get it now.

And as far as being the winningist coach in Jackets history not a very high bar to clear.
No, I don't think you do get it. I never said that. All the Torts bashers were in the Washington thread before the game, saying how we were going to get killed. They play a great game, it was well coached, except for MacLeans PP, and all the regular Torts haters were nowhere to be found afterward. Typical. It is easier to point fingers than look at things rationally. Or lets just spew out a bunch of advanced stats and numbers. The credit for wins and blame for losses is spread around equally, hence, its a team sport.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Coaches get hired to be fired.
Bottom line is we again have the youngest team in the league, and Torts is more the guy you use to get the most out of a veteran team, not really to develop young guys.
I was a big fan of Hitch when he was here. Management/Ownership loved him (at the PSL holder event when they said this was a Hitch Team) - somewhere along the line the guys quit playing for him and he was let go.
Do you let hime ride out the season? Maybe. Do you can him now? Maybe. Do you keep your eyes open for a guy who can help you develop and attract and retain talent - YES.
The NHL poll last season where NHL players said they didn't want to play for him spoke volumes to me.
Is that the one where 30 percent said Torts? 3 out of 10? So basically 7 out of 10 would play for him over someone else. How many of those 3 are guys you would want here. I hate to say it, but much like Cleveland, Columbus is not a destination for top talent more than Torts. Top players are going to have to get traded here, just like Panarin and Bob were. They are going to have to grow their own talent and hope they can get a run out of it before the players bolt when they are unrestricted free agents.

Reactions: thebus88

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Is that the one where 30 percent said Torts? 3 out of 7? So basically 7 out of 10 would play for him over someone else. How many of those 3 are guys you would want here. I hate to say it, but much like Cleveland, Columbus is not a destination for top talent more than Torts. Top players are going to have to get traded here, just like Panarin and Bob were. They are going to have to grow their own talent and hope they can get a run out of it before the players bolt when they are unrestricted free agents.

It's the poll where players had a choice between all coaches not to play for that 30% was Torts and the top choice.
Would be different if he appeared near the top of the list for guys they wanted to play for (love-hate thing) but he was top of list of guys players didn't want to play for.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, I don't think you do get it. I never said that. All the Torts bashers were in the Washington thread before the game, saying how we were going to get killed. They play a great game, it was well coached, except for MacLeans PP, and all the regular Torts haters were nowhere to be found afterward. Typical. It is easier to point fingers than look at things rationally. Or lets just spew out a bunch of advanced stats and numbers. The credit for wins and blame for losses is spread around equally, hence, its a team sport.
:dunno: Some use this forum to celebrate, some use it to commiserate, and some do both.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why does one game (versus a tired Caps team returning from a west coast trip) give you a large enough sample size to justify that we are a good team and that performance is more in line with our ability than the other 20+ games that show us otherwise?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Why does one game (versus a tired Caps team returning from a west coast trip) give you a large enough sample size to justify that we are a good team and that performance is more in line with our ability than the other 20+ games that show us otherwise?
Well for one, I just said that is what they are capable of. I never said it justified them as a good team. They are too inconsistent to be good. Right now, this is a team that is reduced to playing young, unproven talent with the hope they turn into something good. They are basically just above an AHL team. When you are developing multiple players at the NHL level, you probably are going to lose more than you win. A lot of people here are still thinking playoffs or complaining like this has been a playoff team. All the players that people wanted to get more time are getting it, the results just haven't been that good. Not that some guys haven't been playing well, it just hasn't been good enough. Everybody wanted things to get fixed on the power play, they hired a new shiny coach, improved for a couple games, then have gone back to who they really are, not very good. The coach is the fall guy and will most likely get fired. People are complaining about his press conference. What is he supposed to say? If he says what he did, it isn't good enough and he should get fired. If he calls players out, he is too much of a hard ass and doesn't understand young players. Really, this season is going like I expected, I had no playoff expectations. My hope was to see what they have, try to add to it this off season and go from there. If they don't improve next year, then you can start looking at coaches and GM's.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’ll start this by saying I’m not in the fire Torts camp. That’s a decision better evaluated at year end.

However, I can’t help but think there’s something awry with this team and it’s concerning. Too many players are having beyond marginally off years. Andy, Cam, Foligno Nuti and Jones (yes, Jones) are the most notable. Lately PLD makes the list. (I excluded Wennberg and Nash because they’re non-impact play is just a continuation of last year). I know some here would add others, probably fairly.

If it were one or two guys, one would write it off as individual struggles. But it’s much broader than a few. To paraphrase an old saying, “ something’s rotten in Columbus”. And I’m not sure what it is.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Other than the zealous apologists this is obvious to everyone or at least it should be.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Other than the zealous apologists this is obvious to everyone or at least it should be.

lol once again attempting to marginalize people who you think have a different viewpoint than you do. Is it not possible to have nuanced discussions with grays areas and uncertainties?

What exactly do you feel like people are ‘apologists’ on behalf of?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’ll start this by saying I’m not in the fire Torts camp. That’s a decision better evaluated at year end.

However, I can’t help but think there’s something awry with this team and it’s concerning. Too many players are having beyond marginally off years. Andy, Cam, Foligno Nuti and Jones (yes, Jones) are the most notable. Lately PLD makes the list. (I excluded Wennberg and Nash because they’re non-impact play is just a continuation of last year). I know some here would add others, probably fairly.

If it were one or two guys, one would write it off as individual struggles. But it’s much broader than a few. To paraphrase an old saying, “ something’s rotten in Columbus”. And I’m not sure what it is.
There's just some sort of frustrated malaise going on that seems to have affected the team, the coaching staff, and the fanbase. Especially the fanbase.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ are 2-6 in their last 8 games. They have 6 more games before the Christmas break. 4 of these games are against bad teams-NJ, OTT, LA, and DET. If they go, say, 2-4 in this stretch, I think there's a good chance that Torts gets a pink slip before play resumes on December 27.

I'm not in favor of this, but the season will be close to halfway over and if a change is going to be made with an eye on this season, then it would have to made soon and this break seems like the logical time for the pink slip.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The CBJ are 2-6 in their last 8 games. They have 6 more games before the Christmas break. 4 of these games are against bad teams-NJ, OTT, LA, and DET. If they go, say, 2-4 in this stretch, I think there's a good chance that Torts gets a pink slip before play resumes on December 27.

I'm not in favor of this, but the season will be close to halfway over and if a change is going to be made with an eye on this season, then it would have to made soon and this break seems like the logical time for the pink slip.

"Injuries" are going to become a convenient excuse for Jarmo to do nothing.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
"Injuries" are going to become a convenient excuse for Jarmo to do nothing.
I don’t think so , Jarmo evidenced by the players he drafts , doesn’t have same mindset at Torts . Torts was a JD guy . Jarmo isn’t drafting all these skilled players , and picking up players like Duclair , to have them squandered by a coach that wants to play a grinder style . I’m ok with a few losses this week if it results in a coaching change that brings in a coach that can develop young skilled players

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don’t think so , Jarmo evidenced by the players he drafts , doesn’t have same mindset at Torts . Torts was a JD guy . Jarmo isn’t drafting all these skilled players , and picking up players like Duclair , to have them squandered by a coach that wants to play a grinder style . I’m ok with a few losses this week if it results in a coaching change that brings in a coach that can develop young skilled players
Maybe they can bring in Eaves from Cleveland because he loves to develop young players. Then when Columbus is done developing them, when their contracts are up, they can go play somewhere else in the NHL where they play players and not develop them. Maybe that is what happened with Duclair. Columbus finished developing him for Ottawa.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When I was reading twitter the other day, I can across the "embarrassing for the franchise" comments. That's one of the signs of the coaching Apocalypse. You have a couple more and the prophecy is fulfilled. When comments like that come out, it's usually already over.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Why does it seem like the only thing that seems to be taken into account is the teams record and place in the standings......this year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad