Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why would we actively try to ditch Martin and Dillon? We will probably lose one of them to expansion and the other will probably be replaced internally or by Radim Simek if we can get him. Why would we actively try to get rid of another one of them?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why would we actively try to ditch Martin and Dillon? We will probably lose one of them to expansion and the other will probably be replaced internally or by Radim Simek if we can get him. Why would we actively try to get rid of another one of them?

Be realistic, Vegas isn't taking Martin.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Be realistic, Vegas isn't taking Martin.

They're probably taking Dillon, and if not, they're almost certainly taking Schlemko. I could see them taking Martin though.

If they take any one of those three, why would you try to get rid of at least one, and maybe two of them? I'm okay with a MAXIMUM of two new players on the defense and at least one of them needs to be a sure fire NHL player, whether they are a top prospect ready to make the jump, like Werenski or Provorov, or an NHLer on another team. We currently have none of those guys ready in the organization and we are probably getting Radim Simek who is not guaranteed to be an NHLer either.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They're probably taking Dillon, and if not, they're almost certainly taking Schlemko. I could see them taking Martin though.

If they take any one of those three, why would you try to get rid of at least one, and maybe two of them? I'm okay with a MAXIMUM of two new players on the defense and at least one of them needs to be a sure fire NHL player, whether they are a top prospect ready to make the jump, like Werenski or Provorov, or an NHLer on another team. We currently have none of those guys ready in the organization and we are probably getting Radim Simek who is not guaranteed to be an NHLer either.

There's no chance they'll take Martin. They'll take Dillon if he's available unless Schlemko is available, and if neither is it makes the most sense that they'd take Tierney.

I really don't mind overhauling the D, even though there isn't exactly a need. I'm only attached to Vlasic, Burns, and Schlemko. Fill the rest out with Heed, Ryan, and Simek, I don't give a ****.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

The Sharks do have a lot of defensive depth. DeMelo is ready for full-time NHL duty. Ryan and Bergman seem to be NHL-ready. Provided he's recovered from injury, Roy could be ready very quickly as well.

The Sharks could trade Vlasic and Braun with no D-men coming back, while losing Dillon to Las Vegas and still ice an NHL-capable blueline:

Martin-Burns
Schlemko-DeMelo
Ryan-Bergman

Definitely some question marks, but that's a playoff-capable defense. If the Sharks can get a young up-and-coming stud defenseman in exchange for Couture/Pavelski/Vlasic/Braun, the blueline looks downright deadly.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
There's no chance they'll take Martin. They'll take Dillon if he's available unless Schlemko is available, and if neither is it makes the most sense that they'd take Tierney.

What if they protect Schlemko/Vlasic/Burns/Braun/Tierney/Pavs/Hertl/Couture? Do you still think Vegas takes Dillon rather than Martin or a forward like Hansen or Karlsson?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What if they protect Schlemko/Vlasic/Burns/Braun/Tierney/Pavs/Hertl/Couture? Do you still think Vegas takes Dillon rather than Martin or a forward like Hansen or Karlsson?

Any of Dillon, Hansen, or Karlsson would be preferable to Martin.

Give it up, guys. Vegas isn't taking Martin.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

I'm going to say they take Boedker, sure he's had a rough season this year, but he's proven in the past he can put up 40-50 points, he's signed to term and isn't signed to a ridiculous deal. A 4 mill cap-hit for a guy who could potentially put up 40-50 points could be very attractive to Vegas. It'll be either him or Schlemko, and I really hope they don't take him, I like Schlemko.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was more curious why you think it'll be Dillon rather than Karlsson (or Hansen)?

Hansen is a UFA in one season and I think Dillon is better than Karlsson in a vacuum. It's really that simple. If it's not Schlemko or Dillon, I think Tierney is the obvious choice for Vegas.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Hansen is a UFA in one season and I think Dillon is better than Karlsson in a vacuum. It's really that simple. If it's not Schlemko or Dillon, I think Tierney is the obvious choice for Vegas.

I assume Tierney will be protected as the 4th forward...or are you assuming the Sharks protect 5 dmen?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I assume Tierney will be protected as the 4th forward...or are you assuming the Sharks protect 5 dmen?

I'm hoping we protect five D, but I'm fully expecting for DW to not protect Schlemko. The obvious thing to do would be protect five D but I'm used to being disappointed with DW.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'm hoping we protect five D, but I'm fully expecting for DW to not protect Schlemko. The obvious thing to do would be protect five D but I'm used to being disappointed with DW.

Interesting, yeah...I'm pretty sure DW will go 4 D, and I won't be surprised if he chooses Dillon over Schlemko.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

You can't blame people for hoping with all the "muh veteran" groupthink going on in the NHL, but I agree it's not happening.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kings fans have been begging them to take Brown since they announced Vegas was getting a team.

And if they get their wish, Vegas will be doomed to failure with their current management structure. There is no good scenario for Vegas to help a division rival in that manner.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still hoping for Boedker to go to Vegas.

There's a good chance he bounces back and scores 35-40 points next year and if he does, it's not like he'll be an albatross.

Ward is probably a worse player at this point, but I'd rather eat one year of Ward and put him on the 4th line than 3 more years of a question mark in Boedker.

I never really wanted Boedker, but the deal was fair for what he's done in the previous few years and the fact that he was as young as you can get in UFA. Not many 26 year old's available in the UFA pool. So I also wasn't unhappy with the signing when it happened.

Just delving into his numbers, his shooting percentage was 3% percent below his career norms, but it was still 8.2% percent and that's not exactly a freak low like Ryane Clowe's 3.4% in 12-13. It's a bit below his career norms, but it's not too much lower than the league average, which is what? 9% or so?

Looking at his even strength on-ice shooting percentage, it was actually slightly higher this past year than his career average, so I'm not sure how unlucky he really was. If anything, his PP production might have been more unlucky than anything. I remember people saying to heed the warning before last year, that he was not really a good even strength point producer and his PP production was his bread and butter.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I still think Boedker can come back from this, Ward is just unneeded.

I do think Boedker is better than how he produced this year. The whole team under-performed this year and not just him. That being said, I don't think he is a good fit into the system. Move him if you can get decent value, if not, I am ok keeping him for another year.

Ward totally needs to go. The two players I do not want to see at all next year are Ward and Haley. The latter just because I do not want to see him take away time from the youngsters. I still think he was better than what most people gave him credit for but its just that we have better options than him on the roster. Ward on the other hand eats a lot of salary, is slow and is also taking away spots from the youngsters.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I have no doubt that since Deboer is going to be coaching next year we will have the same mediocre play. He seems to cling onto players he's comfortable with (Even worse than TMac). The only reason he looked so good his first year is he hadn't built an opinion on any other the players. It was a fresh slate.

The sooner he's fired the sooner the Sharks can move onto building a good system.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The hate for Ward is insane. He was absolutely better than Boedker last year. You guys turn on him so fast, it's embarrassing. After what he did for us last postseason?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The hate for Ward is insane. He was absolutely better than Boedker last year. You guys turn on him so fast, it's embarrassing. After what he did for us last postseason?

People turned on Deboer like 2 months after getting to the finals. Fans are fickle.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

No one is forgetting what Ward did for us, and Boedker was awful last year. We can't hold onto Ward for what he did for us 2 playoffs ago. He's getting up there in age, and he's not gonna maintain a high level of play like Marleau and Thornton into his late 30s. Moving him clears cap space, and we need that space to be filled by someone who has even the slightest chance of replacing Thornton or if the Sharks somehow manage to trade for Kovalchuk. Whether he's movable is another matter, but the team has to focus on the future, and as good as Ward's past was, we can't keep him just for that. This past season, although he was better than Boedker, which was an incredibly low bar, Ward really struggled. If we don't move him, I won't be upset, because I think he could also benefit from a long summer like everyone else. However, if an opportunity comes up to move him, or it becomes necessary to move him because of another deal, I won't be upset about that either.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

People turned on Deboer like 2 months after getting to the finals. Fans are fickle.

I am more annoyed with the Deboer hate than I am the Ward hate. Ward sucked this season and for the next 3-5 years I don't see him contributing as much as Boedker can (doesn't mean Boedker will produce), and for the most part don't really think he was any better this season. Boedker severely under-performed this year and Ward severely declined both weren't good for the team. Ward was good in the post season but such a rapid and drastic decline shouldn't be ignored.

I have a long leash with Sharks who are contributors. Marleau/Thornton during down seasons and bad playoff series never lead to me wanting a trade, in fact I still want them to retire in teal. Ward though was useless for extended portions of the season and seriously looked lost many games. I really don't see a step down from him to several of our minor league players/prospects and he's making a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia