Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
In a way his problem was trying to capture *pittsburgh's* magic, with the stacked 3rd line. that just didn't work with the pieces we had, especially with boedker turning out bust-y, and ward and donskoi not delivering.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Maybe we should consider firing the guy who keeps hiring the coaches and putting together the teams that flame out in the playoffs.

ohjay

Jan 22, 2010
Wilson is the only constant on this underachieving team. If anyone should be on the curb in the morning it should be Wilson!

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Wilson is the only constant on this underachieving team. If anyone should be on the curb in the morning it should be Wilson!

this is not an underachieve. in fact you could argue it's an overachieve.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I still feel like hes a better upgrade than Tmac.

but i donno

But TMac, in all of his faults, saw the changes in the style of play going on in the NHL better than PDB.

Sick of this clueless idiot. I hope after this year he gets canned. So many roster choices that are questionable. Scratching Meier who has looked like one of the better forwards... :rant:

Don't get me started on the PP

That and Spott is a good enough reason to fire PDB. I listened to Jodie Brazil and Curtis Brown on a pre-game show where they were saying PP does not matter in the playoffs but PK does. What BS. This series would have been different if the Sharks had a playoff caliber PP, and not one from a bottom-dwelling team like they had. What did they do 0/8 in one game? That has to be a playoff record.

I also like your comment about Meier. He was one of the few that kept pressure directly on a Oiler while on defense. Most of his teammates kept on their heals and gave too much time and space to Oilers. It was like they were too worred about Oiler speed and quickness.

PDB needed speed, but he needed to rearrange the lines back in early February when it was clear that Thornton could not produce and was not turning it around. Instead, he sprinkled speed here and there in a rather hapzardly way.

Thornton needed to be moved off the 1st line at that time. Many here were complaining about all of the third wingers to accompany Thornton and Pavelski. However, once just about every winger tried on the 1st line without the desired results.... when does it become clear that the issue may not be that third winger, but Pavelski or Thornton?

To me, statistical average says it so, and my eyes saw it was more Thornton than Pavelski.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I didn't get my way so I need a scapegoat! Fire the coach!

It's not your night or series when the last of 4 posts go off the inside of the crossbar then off the inside of the post and out. Sharks had a chance to win all 6 of these games and didn't get the bounces. **** happens.

DeBoer is still better than Tmac.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

It's not your night or series when the last of 4 posts go off the inside of the crossbar then off the inside of the post and out. Sharks had a chance to win all 6 of these games and didn't get the bounces. **** happens.

Can we scapegoat the power play coach though?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

Oh come the **** on. Blaming this series on "bounces" is ludicrous. The Oilers outshot us over the course of the series. They were just as unlucky as we were. McDavid going the entire series without a 5v5 point in particular was just pure bad luck, Vlasic and Braun sure as hell weren't doing anything to influence that with their 40% possession.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh come the **** on. Blaming this series on "bounces" is ludicrous. The Oilers outshot us over the course of the series. They were just as unlucky as we were. McDavid going the entire series without a 5v5 point in particular was just pure bad luck, Vlasic and Braun sure as hell weren't doing anything to influence that with their 40% possession.
You either seem to have trouble reading or understanding what you're reading.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The McDavid is really fast and good at zone entries change.

Not just McDavid, but faster lines as a whole with better linemate matchings. McDavid was not a big contributer in this series, particularly 5v5. It was the overall speed and quickness of others not named McDavid, and PDB's inability to manage the PP teams and the assistant in charge of those teams.

PDB plays more of an older style of checking and clogging on defense to prevent opponents getting a quality shot off. This skews puck possesion stats.

The other problem with PDB's scheme is that he did not put together lines drive pucks to the net. Normally, we're use to seeing that in the 1st line but Thornton never had got it together this season. PDB never had an answer for this, but just kept hoping that Thornton would turn it around at some point.

Instead, they're quick to take a low-percentage shot, and hope for a rebound. But you need speed for that rebound due to the off-sides rule. This also skews those stats.

Same reason why the Kings, being a traditional powerhouse in the CORSI stats, went out golfing for the playoffs.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
You either seem to have trouble reading or understanding what you're reading.

"Sharks had a chance to win all 6 of these games and didn't get the bounces" seems to pretty clearly imply you think luck is the reason the team isn't still playing while failing to recognize all the ways the Oilers got unlucky too. The fact is it was a pretty evenly played series and DeBoer icing sensible lineups from Game 1 would have made a big difference at the margins. McLellan certainly did that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
"Sharks had a chance to win all 6 of these games and didn't get the bounces" seems to pretty clearly imply you think luck is the reason the team isn't still playing while failing to recognize all the ways the Oilers got unlucky too. The fact is it was a pretty evenly played series and DeBoer icing sensible lineups from Game 1 would have made a big difference at the margins. McLellan certainly did that.
Sharks hit 4 posts last night, including the crossbar/post late. Add the fact Klefbom hit that seeing eye bomb in game 5 to send it to ot. Not getting bounces isn't saying they were the better team or that Edmonton also didn't have unlucky breaks.

5 of these games went to the wire, Oilers won 4 of them. Same as the Sharks and Kings series last year, except the Sharks got the bounces late in games last year. It happens.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Sharks hit 4 posts last night, including the crossbar/post late. Add the fact Klefbom hit that seeing eye bomb in game 5 to send it to ot. Not getting bounces isn't saying they were the better team or that Edmonton also didn't have unlucky breaks.

What's the point of pointing out the Sharks didn't get the bounces if not to make the argument that they were the unluckier team? And hitting posts is not the be-all, end-all of luck in hockey. McDavid going six games without a 5v5 point is something that's probably never happened in his entire career before, it's absolutely luck that it happened to occur in this series. And the Sharks couldn't take advantage of that in large part due to DeBoer's incompetent line construction and terrible special teams.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What's the point of pointing out the Sharks didn't get the bounces if not to make the argument that they were the unluckier team? And hitting posts is not the be-all, end-all of luck in hockey. McDavid going six games without a 5v5 point is something that's probably never happened in his entire career before, it's absolutely luck that it happened to occur in this series. And the Sharks couldn't take advantage of that in large part due to DeBoer's incompetent line construction and terrible special teams.
It wasn't luck with McDavid. The Sharks gave up possession with his line in exchange for taking his space and time away. Outside of one rush in game 2, he had next to no chances in transition, where he's at his best.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
It wasn't luck with McDavid. The Sharks gave up possession with his line in exchange for taking his space and time away. Outside of one rush in game 2, he had next to no chances in transition, where he's at his best.

Dude, he had like two partial breakaways in Game 1 along with countless other passes that Draisaitl and especially Maroon just flubbed.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Realistically, Deboer probably doesn't get fired until the end of next season. I don't think DW is one to do the midseason firing but if he was, Roy Sommer interim head coach woo.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's very hard to judge pdb because of the injury situation. That simply created a no win scenario and from that standpoint what they did do could possibly be considered a success. No team realistically survives the kneecapping of its top two centers. Not in this era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille