Fire Colliton

Yes or no

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
if the plan has been to get slower while making out your cap so you’ll have trouble signing your young guys, they’re killing it. How was trading for Andrew Shaw an attempt to rebuild? They traded for a one shouldered 29 year old defensemen with 3 expensive years left on his death too. Those are win now moves

andrew Shaw was supposed to play opposite Kane and Strome as the space clearing guy (brower, Bickel, handzus, anisimov) mostly but also provide some flexibility with the lineup as well. Whether it be a spot center, 3rd line energy guy,

Crow

May 19, 2014
but you are contradicting yourself in what you say the plan is/was?

but they have contradicted every direction they have tried to go. First they were building with hartman, hino, and schmaltz. They traded them all. So now they are banking on the core of Dach, Boqvist Mitchell and Debrincat to get better while hoping that a resigned(?) toews and kane will still be able to play at a high level in 3 years(?). This while trying to sell tickets and stay competitive by signing maatta shaw getting Dehaan resulting in mediocre draft picks.

They are are stuck half way. Choose a direction.
Why do you think they were building around Hartman, Hino and schmaltz? I don’t think that was the plan and if it was it didn’t work. It makes sense to try to maximize those assets for other opportunities at some point when that becomes clear. I think they had to kick the can down the road. Hino was a cap causality, Hartman was traded for a pretty nice asset (overpayment imo) and schmaltz was both a cap and hockey trade.

And do you think that core to build around is comparable to debrincat, Boqvist, Mitchell, Dach, Kubalik and Strome (who is at least on schmaltz’s level)? They may trade one or more of those pieces if they see an opportunity too.

Seems like the plan has been to retool and still is. Continue developing the above to play with Kane and Toews.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
andrew Shaw was supposed to play opposite Kane and Strome as the space clearing guy (brower, Bickel, handzus, anisimov) mostly but also provide some flexibility with the lineup as well. Whether it be a spot center, 3rd line energy guy,

Andrew Shaw is 185 pounds, he isn't clearing space for anyone. That doesn't change the fact that it was a win now move, not a rebuild move.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You could add our first round pick as the plus and Washington still says no.

Shaw has negative value. I don’t think Washington would even trade Wilson straight up for our pick.

Ya, wasn’t a serious proposal, just my wish. Forgot to add the emoji to make that clear.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You could add our first round pick as the plus and Washington still says no.

Shaw has negative value. I don’t think Washington would even trade Wilson straight up for our pick.

I get so tired of always having players on multi-year contracts with negative value. I mean, obviously no one likes it, but it's especially annoying that the wounds are always self-inflicted.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I get so tired of always having players on multi-year contracts with negative value. I mean, obviously no one likes it, but it's especially annoying that the wounds are always self-inflicted.

Yeah, especially ones we already let go of, let someone else overpay, and then a few years later we gave up what two 2nd rounders to bring him back? Christ.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
And Bickell before them.

I’ll give him a pass with Bickell. We don’t know when his disease kicked in and if he was a 40-50 point regular season guy but a monster in the playoffs then he’s worth every penny and then some.

I want to say at the time of his signing, as well as Crawford’s for that matter.... was that the reaction was they were maybe signed for about 250-500K more per year than we would have liked, but nothing outrageous.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’ll give him a pass with Bickell. We don’t know when his disease kicked in and if he was a 40-50 point regular season guy but a monster in the playoffs then he’s worth every penny and then some.

I want to say at the time of his signing, as well as Crawford’s for that matter.... was that the reaction was they were maybe signed for about 250-500K more per year than we would have liked, but nothing outrageous.

He never touched 40, much less 50, and had only one season of 30. We can agree to disagree on the extent of overpayment at the time of the signing, but everyone can agree he was serious negative value by the end, as evidenced by the price of moving him. It was a breath of fresh air to be rid of him, only to find ourselves in the same boat a minute later.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He never touched 40, much less 50, and had only one season of 30. We can agree to disagree on the extent of overpayment at the time of the signing, but everyone can agree he was serious negative value by the end, as evidenced by the price of moving him. It was a breath of fresh air to be rid of him, only to find ourselves in the same boat a minute later.

He was about to hit his prime and scored at a 40 point pace in the shortened regular season and then absolutely exploded in the playoffs as a 26 year old.

The next season he scored 15 and it’s not all that ridiculous to assume that’s when it kicked in. Had it not a 40-50 point regular season for him in his late 20s was not out of the question at all.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He was about to hit his prime and scored at a 40 point pace in the shortened regular season and then absolutely exploded in the playoffs as a 26 year old.

The next season he scored 15 and it’s not all that ridiculous to assume that’s when it kicked in. Had it not a 40-50 point regular season for him in his late 20s was not out of the question at all.

that offseason he had both of his knees worked on I thought my memory is sketchy

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
The Hawks already have a losing culture, they would have had a top 10 pick if the season hadn't been cut short and they let everyone in the playoffs. They missed the playoffs the season before.
They lose, but they do not have a losing culture. Want to see a losing culture and being stuck in it? Look at the Minnesota Timberwolves or no further than the Chicago Bulls. They accept losing. Look at the Oilers. They needed 3-4 years and getting rid of players like Hall to finally get out of that slump. Not to mention coaches and GMs.

Guys like Toews, Keith and Kane are needed to not get into that losing culture.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They lose, but they do not have a losing culture. Want to see a losing culture and being stuck in it? Look at the Minnesota Timberwolves or no further than the Chicago Bulls. They accept losing. Look at the Oilers. They needed 3-4 years and getting rid of players like Hall to finally get out of that slump. Not to mention coaches and GMs.

Guys like Toews, Keith and Kane are needed to not get into that losing culture.

.... or do one or more of the above need to be shopped to do a proper rebuild? Money talks and Hawks have none, at least none that they can spend.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
.... or do one or more of the above need to be shopped to do a proper rebuild? Money talks and Hawks have none, at least none that they can spend.

Well, regardless of roster issues one thing a big market team can always spend top dollar on is getting the best coaching staff available in the league.

Oh, my bad.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Well, regardless of roster issues one thing a big market team can always spend top dollar on is getting the best coaching staff available in the league.

Oh, my bad.
Q was the second highest paid coach for awhile wasnt he. And that doesn't sustain success

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
short answer: Nope
longer answer: No thanks

or the smart answer: there is no "proper rebuild" in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad