Post-Game Talk: Fire Chiarelli

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm numb to loses.

And that sucks.....

I've been numb to it all for a while and yes, it sucks.

I gave up on this season a while ago, I almost got sucked in during the Hitch resurgence but knew in the back of my head that they were only winning because of Kosvezina level goaltending and lots of puck luck. They've been getting outshot, outplayed and outhustled regularly under Hitch, a regression IMO from the Mclellan era. They looked far better in that early season 8-2 stretch than they did at any time in the Hitch era and there's been several games in the Hitch era that were as bad as I've ever seen from an Oiler team, on par with the Eakins years.

Some people say not to panic because they are still in a playoff race and I get it because of the standings but it's not a playoff race, it's a collection of teams that are all clearly better than the Oilers on paper underachieving and keeping this sad sack team in it. Does anybody really think that this team will finish top 2 between them, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, Anaheim and Vancouver? No way man.
The only thing that would upset me at this point is this clueless desperate GM mortgaging the future attempting to save his sorry hide. This playoff race is over IMO even if the standings say otherwise.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Koskinen kept it from being like 8-2.

Don't really agree. Kosks lets in 5 goals, Flames missed on more, and it was another tough night. The 2nd goal is purely created by Koskinens abysmal rebound control. That was a routine first shot and he puts the puck right out in front. Sure Oilers could have got to it but no reason for there to be the rebound. On other plays Koski makes saves harder than they need to be due to his poor form and mechanics. For instance the miraculous save on Gaudreau is simply due to not sealing the post when Gaudreau had nothing else to go for. Koski also makes several circus save attempts because his mobility isn't great. This was a lukewarm goaltending performance.

Koski reminds me of Salo. He makes hilite saves but creates a lot of the reasons that he requires hilite saves.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Klefbom is more valuable and I'd like to think that I know a thing or two about hockey, if it were ever a concern.

Well your right in the respect that he's more valuable. More valuable to the privatized health care system in the US then to the team

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's as good as prime Gretzky easily, give McDavid 5' 9" goalies with 6" wide goalie pads and see how much he scores.

Connor isn't better than Gaudreau right now and is 5th place in scoring race. Gretzky would be leading the scoring race by around 50pts quite often. Gretz also didn't have the benefit of todays top training equipment, improved equipment, and graphite sticks.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Klefbom is more valuable and I'd like to think that I know a thing or two about hockey, if it were ever a concern.

Really? Teams are moving to more offensive systems, so I just don't see Klef having more of an offensive upside than Nuge. Plus my comment was more directed at the previous poster and his trollish comments ;)

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Really? Teams are moving to more offensive systems, so I just don't see Klef having more of an offensive upside than Nuge. Plus my comment was more directed at the previous poster and his trollish comments ;)

Love it when you call me a troll but at least have the balls to tag me in your post coward.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nuge is the most valuable piece on this team (not counting McDavid). If you can't see that, you don't know anything about hockey.

Where is Drai in this equation?

Nuge has elevated his performance in last 2 seasons in response to seeing and playing with McD and Drai. He hasn't been this good since his rookie season and he still pales in comparison to McDrai. I guess you could talk about 200ft game but Nuge isn't great at that either.

I will credit this is the most determined I have ever seen Nuge but I saw him be far less than this for a couple of seasons as well before he adopted a more significant role on the club.

Reactions: Messrules11

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Nuge has elevated his performance in last 2 seasons in response to seeing and playing with McD and Drai. He hasn't been this good since his rookie season and he still pales in comparison to McDrai. I guess you could talk about 200ft game but Nuge isn't great at that either.

Dang you have a love fest with McDrai

Anyone can produce with McDavid and that has been proven year in and year out.

But at least when RNH isn;t with mcdavid he still plays. The same can;t be said for Drai

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Klefbom is their #1 Dman playing 25 minutes a night in all situations. The team always crumbles when he goes down or is playing injured. Nuge is their 2nd line center. Klef is much more valuable to this team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dang you have a love fest with McDrai

Anyone can produce with McDavid and that has been proven year in and year out.

But at least when RNH isn;t with mcdavid he still plays. The same can;t be said for Drai

Drai has been overplayed all season. Way too many minutes. Nuge doesn't have that problem.

Drai, being a longterm PPG player also attracts top checking, coverage, often gets double teamed.

Nuge has never had to be the guy on a team. Never. He doesn't get close to the attention and punishment McDrai face daily.

Reactions: Oilhawks

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

I will credit this is the most determined I have ever seen Nuge but I saw him be far less than this for a couple of seasons as well before he adopted a more significant role on the club.
Value includes cost.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Drai has been overplayed all season. Way too many minutes. Nuge doesn't have that problem.

Drai, being a longterm PPG player also attracts top checking, coverage, often gets double teamed.

Nuge has never had to be the guy on a team. Never. He doesn't get close to the attention and punishment McDrai face daily.

Oh you just started watching the Oilers when they drafted McDavid then. Good to know

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

They need to reduce Draisaitl's TOI by a few minutes a game. Keep him with Mcdavid, just stop playing him on the PK for now. He seems to make a lot of unforced errors when he's tired.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
RNH should be able to get the Oilers a top 3 dman. At this stage, he absolutely should be shopped. He's a good player but he's a luxury for the Oilers.
A luxury? The minute you trade Nuge, everyone on here will complain about centre depth and say we need a scoring 2nd line centre who plays a 200 foot game who'll cost you about 6 mil a year.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
A luxury? The minute you trade Nuge, everyone on here will complain about centre depth and say we need a scoring 2nd line centre who plays a 200 foot game who'll cost you about 6 mil a year.
I agree keep him but will cost 7 - 7.5 new contract. Can we afford that or better to get a sheet ton for him now.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Pfft no problem replacing him. Hes a dime a dozen player. Besides we have 12 million and 8.5 million dollar centers already.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

I don't want them to trade Drai, lol, hopefully they don't see the value in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad