Post-Game Talk: Fire Chiarelli

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Drai was pathetic last night. Jones had a horrible game. Nurse's decision making was suspect. Jesse was the only real bright spot (Khaira and Nuge were solid, would like to see those 3 get an extended run together).

As per the thread title, let's just make it happen already. There is more than enough evidence this buffoon has no idea what he's doing. His most recent activity is all you need to know - attempts to shop Spooner (his own screwed up acquisition) with the primary purposes to free up cap space and get help up front, and by the end of the day Spooner is still an Oiler, we've incurred more cap, and sent out a semi-productive forward and 3rd round pick for a 6/7 and 8th D men (one a healthy scratch on a team worse than us).

What Chia did that Sunday is equivalent to a wife sending her husband out for groceries to make dinner and the husband comes back with a toothbrush and garbage bags. He'd be kicked to the curb that day, what's taking Katz so long?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It doesn't work like that.

And no, he isn't.
Yeah it does actually.

The goaltending in those days is actually funny when you watch it. Gretzky was a better playmaker, but McDavid wins on every other skill. The speed alone, he is probably top three to ever play. Im not even sure the clutching grabbing would have helped, he beats guys way too easy with his speed.

In the Gretzky era many players were putting up close to 150, and the biggest change would be goalies and coaching, preparation, strategy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Drai was pathetic last night. Jones had a horrible game. Nurse's decision making was suspect. Jesse was the only real bright spot (Khaira and Nuge were solid, would like to see those 3 get an extended run together).

As per the thread title, let's just make it happen already. There is more than enough evidence this buffoon has no idea what he's doing. His most recent activity is all you need to know - attempts to shop Spooner (his own screwed up acquisition) with the primary purposes to free up cap space and get help up front, and by the end of the day Spooner is still an Oiler, we've incurred more cap, and sent out a semi-productive forward and 3rd round pick for a 6/7 and 8th D men (one a healthy scratch on a team worse than us).

What Chia did that Sunday is equivalent to a wife sending her husband out for groceries to make dinner and the husband comes back with a toothbrush and garbage bags. He'd be kicked to the curb that day, what's taking Katz so long?

Don't give my wife any ideas.

Reactions: Roof Daddy

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
While scoring was certainly more prevalent in the Gretzky era, specifically in the 80s, Gretzky not only finishing atop the scoring race every season with staggering consistency, but also distanced his nearest rivals by more than 60 or 70+ points in the overall scoring race on multiple occasions. It's silly to look at the gaps, really. It wasn't really until Lemieux came along, that there was even a bit of competition for the scoring race...

I mean, look at these point gaps between 1st and 2nd in the scoring "race" during the early to mid-80s...

80-81: 1) Gretzky: 164 2) Dionne: 135 (+29 pts)
81-82: 1) Gretzky: 212 2) Bossy: 147 (+65 pts)
82-83: 1) Gretzky: 196 2) Stastny: 124 (+72 pts)
83-84: 1) Gretzky: 205 2) Coffey: 126 (+79 pts)
84-85: 1) Gretzky: 208 2) Kurri: 135 (+73 pts)
85-86: 1) Gretzky: 215 2) Lemieux: 141 (+74 pts)
86-87: 1) Gretzky: 183 2) Kurri: 108 (+75 pts)

To say he dominated the competition is an understatement. There's not a player alive today in the NHL who is that much better than his next closest competition, not McDavid, not anyone.

McDavid is good, generational even. But he's no Gretzky.
He did dominate for sure, but if Im not listen even Mario beat him in PPG over his career, and had he not been injured and sick for a lot of his career, he would have put up the same numbers as Gretzky.

Now you have to ask, how do two guys come along at the same time that are that far ahead? Secondly it would almost be like in todays game the scoring leader getting 130 points while the next guy got 100....the gap is much the same. In my opinion the best are Gretzky, Orr, Mario and McDavid...in no particular order. If I had to bet the farm, I would likely pick Orr.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Great players make those around him better,McDavid hasn't
done this so far.
Really? You mean he doesn't have a Kurri type player, yet he can get a Semenko/Maroon to get 30 goals in todays game. I think he makes Leon a lot better.

If you can say with a straight face that McDavid does not players around him better, well that's like your opinion man.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Nonsense talk.

If you don’t know what you are talking about you should just shush.
I do know, its just so many people can't appreciate how good McDavid is and can't leave behind the Katz jock sniffing era where every player we has to be compared to player we had in those days. McDavid would have ruled in that era right along with Gretzky and Mario.

Gretzky sucked at one on one and breakaways, Mario was terrific at both those, McDavid is also better than Gretzky in both those areas. Gretzky had some fantastic teammates to ad to the stats. The speed of McDavid is something only Orr had. McDavid is also better than Mario and Gretzky defensively, Gretzky did not spend much time digging the pucks out of our end, that was Kurri.

Please list one part of the game that is a weakness for McDavid.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well gentlemen, all I can say is that there is nothing more frustrating than dealing with a "clique" because everyone in the clique thinks they are super talented, whether they are or not.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers should have signed him for 4 years @6 mil. Then people like this guy wouldn't be able to cry about his contract. Until it was due then the narrative would change to, "Should have signed him for longer!!!".
I’m not complaining about the player or the contract. Only trying to point out how difficult it is to make a good deal for anyone making that kind of money in a cap league where dollars coming in and going out have to match. You either need to trade him for another 8.5 million dollar player (who would that be?) or trade him for a group of lesser paid players. What’s the likelihood of that working out? That’s what I mean by options being limited.

For the record, I wouldn’t trade Draisatl for two reasons. He’s got six years left and I think at some point in there he’s going to get much better. The other reason is how bad the Taylor Hall trade worked out for us. We can’t bleed anymore talent. Not when it’s so hard to acquire.

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
Fire Chia,the OBC and hire burke. Let Kevin Lowe's blood boil when his nemesis takes over and does better

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
As far as the coach goes, I don't understand his insistence on switching lines up every time he breathes. There's no consistency. The special teams are still pretty brutal as is the defensive coverage.

Not to mention the effort levels are pretty abysmal. I don't see how this coach is an upgrade on McLellan. Sorry, but they have to go out this summer and find someone better.

cut.jpg

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We need the guy that bought the "Lowe Must Go!" billboards to put some up for us on Chia. Maybe didn't help get it done, but was very satisfying to see.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
(Started this post about three hours ago, but was interrupted by my baby-son waking up, and them my wife sent me to the grocery store and other things happened... So, to finish it...):

This is what I think of the Oilers right now:

GOAL: Thank God Chiarelli did one competent move and signed Koskinen. I'm a big fan of him. He's good. Assuming he doesn't suddenly crap the bed and stays in shape with his head screwed on, I am hopeful of a few really good years from him. (He's the only reason it wasn't 8 - 1 tonight.) Talbot is a trainwreck right now, and barely good enough to be a back-up, but the Oilers have so many personnel problems that they can't bother dealing with back-up issues now. So let him sit, but only play him against the weakest possible teams, maybe 15-20 games per year.

DEFENCE: This year is probably (yet) another write-off, but if all the D-men are healthy and if Bouchard pans out and they don't rush him in (seems like they aren't), then the Oilers' situation on D is... between average and sub-par. The problem with that is that one to two top-4 (so called) players are always injured, and AHL players are always in the line-up. Russell is okay, and Larsson is okay but disappointing since 2016-17. He just has never been the same. Benning isn't terrible, but he wouldn't be good enough to play on most NHL teams.

Klefbom is pretty good. Nurse is the only other really good defenseman, and even he makes a couple of boneheaded plays per game. But he is a good athlete, a great skater, and he actually shoots the puck sometimes. There's some offense there.

(I do not get why Ethan Bear isn't playing every game, since he can skate, pass, and shoot, all of which the Oilers desperately need on the PP. In his brief stint at the end of last season, Bear looked amazing on the PP, and had real chemistry with players like Draisaitl. But I guess the Oilers' management knows best... [laughs]).

Besides Nurse, not one Oiler D-man is capable of exerting any kind of offense whatsoever. (Klefbom supposedly has a great shot, but since 2017 it hasn't hit the net.) You know how normal NHL-level teams have defense who will occasionally skate to the blue line and drive a hard shot on net? The last time an Oiler D did that was probably Pronger 13 years ago.

Despite mass incompetence managing the personnel, if everyone stays healthy, and if Bouchard works out soon-ish, and if they would bring up Bear for the power-play, the Oilers might have an 'average' team defense within one year or so. But all those things won't happen, let's be honest.

FORWARDS: Here is where Chiarelli has destroyed all depth, and, consequently, the team. I don't necessarily have a problem with the team's trading away players like Hall (obviously some locker-room issues there, and he was very inconsistent) and Eberle (a depreciating asset who, to this day, never produces against stronger teams). The problem, as we all know, is that Chiarelli failed to come remotely close to getting fair value for wingers he lost. You can't trade an NHL top-6 winger and get a stay-at-home defenseman only. You can't trade a 25-goal winger and get a 10-goal replacement whom you then trade for spare parts. To top it all off, Chiarelli let almost 30-goal Patrick Maroon -- a guy who really wanted to stay here -- leave in exchange for a guy who hasn't made the NHL and to-be-wasted draft pick this summer.

In sum, then, Chiarelli let three 20-40 goal wingers go (one went on to win the Hart trophy) and in exchange got Adam Larsson. Meanwhile, he signed Lucic to a 47-year contract just as his prime ended. And, gee, the team can't score... Shocking!!

So, the players whom I would rate as untouchable are:
- Koskinen
- Nurse
- Klefbom
- Bouchard (for now)
- McDavid
- Draisaitl

That's really it. Everybody else is expendable.

I don't really care that the Oilers lost to Calgary tonight -- the Flames are red hot and are a way better team. I do care that the Oilers were no-shows against Arizona and L.A. earlier this month. Those were two very 'winnable' games that, if won, would have the Oil just in a playoff spot now, despite the incompetent behind-the-scenes mismanagement.

As ever, I'm torn between not cheering for the team anymore and cheering dispassionately.

You have to many untouchables. Look at Calgary they moved Hamilton and Ferland and got better. McDavid is the only one that is untouchable. Everyone else can go in the right deal.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I do know, its just so many people can't appreciate how good McDavid is and can't leave behind the Katz jock sniffing era where every player we has to be compared to player we had in those days. McDavid would have ruled in that era right along with Gretzky and Mario.

Gretzky sucked at one on one and breakaways, Mario was terrific at both those, McDavid is also better than Gretzky in both those areas. Gretzky had some fantastic teammates to ad to the stats. The speed of McDavid is something only Orr had. McDavid is also better than Mario and Gretzky defensively, Gretzky did not spend much time digging the pucks out of our end, that was Kurri.

Please list one part of the game that is a weakness for McDavid.

Winning... Mcdavids good but Gretzky had more assists in his career then the next player on the list had points. Even if that doesn’t convince you in his last year playing on one leg he still had 60 some points in the height of the clutch and grab era.

In saying that if you want to see who Mcdavid reminds me of. Go look at Orr. Imagine Mcdavid as a dman who was physical and could fight and you’d have a pretty good understanding of how Bobby Orr played.

Mcdavid has to win a cup before I put him in the same league as the top guys.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yamamoto is NOT ready for the NHL!!!!

Definitely disappointing they keep feeding him minutes up here. He didn't even do much at even strength in the AHL. He has a long way to go still, probably another full AHL season next year as well is needed. He'll probably end up with more injuries than points this season in the NHL if he keeps sticking around.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Draisaitl had the most ice time of all forwards last night in spite of 5 give aways.
his play was uninspired, and 1 give away sent a player on a direct break away.
I don't get it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad