Post-Game Talk: Fire Chiarelli

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So many disrespectful posters on this board lately, more than usual. As if it's not bad enough dealing with this trash bin team, we have to deal with board pollution as well.
Hey I tried to will the Oilers to victory last night by saying if they came back on the Flames and won I would quit all negativity for the remainder of the season.

I did my part!

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Klefbom is their #1 Dman playing 25 minutes a night in all situations. The team always crumbles when he goes down or is playing injured. Nuge is their 2nd line center. Klef is much more valuable to this team.

Valuable to the team, sure. We were talking trade value. Klefbom "might" be a #1D, but when it comes to assets coming bac, I think Nuge gets the bigger haul. There are better Dmen to throw assets at then Klefbom.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hey I tried to will the Oilers to victory last night by saying if they came back on the Flames and won I would quit all negativity for the remainder of the season.

I did my part!

You're definitely not one of the disrespectful ones fwiw.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Valuable to the team, sure. We were talking trade value. Klefbom "might" be a #1D, but when it comes to assets coming bac, I think Nuge gets the bigger haul. There are better Dmen to throw assets at then Klefbom.

If we're talking about trade value, I'd put Nuge well below Drai and below Klef as well especially considering contract.
Nuge is having a great season but he's a #2 center when it all boils down to it similar to somebody like Kadri.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Pfft no problem replacing him. Hes a dime a dozen player. Besides we have 12 million and 8.5 million dollar centers already.
No, we have a 12 million dollar centre and a 8.5 million dollar winger.

So if RNH is a dime a dozen player, who do you trade him for who's currently in the top 40 in scoring?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fun fact, if Nuge didn't play another game this season, this would be his 4th best season point wise.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
If we're talking about trade value, I'd put Nuge well below Drai and below Klef as well especially considering contract.
Nuge is having a great season but he's a #2 center when it all boils down to it similar to somebody like Kadri.

I guess in a straight value sense, you're right. But I don't see Drai as tradeable (not in some silly contract sense, just that it would silly to trade him. He's younger and more potential upside than Nuge) and there are better targets than Klefbom if you're looking for a #1D, so he'd get less than they'd need right now.

I disagree about the Kadri comparison though. Numbers are numbers, I guess, but by pure eye test, Nuge is miles better than Kadri.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Teams that lose a lot tend to lower the value of their players. That's precisely why we keep getting hosed in trades.

I don't think Klefbom has that much value when he has issues staying healthy. He's a good defenseman, no doubt... But he's also signed for a very long time. Larsson has been dreadful since Klefbom went down.

And I don't think our prospects offer much value when the team that owns them doesn't know their roles.
Injuries like the one Klefbom has do not lower a players value. Teams understand the difference between luck of the draw and chronic issues. The whole "injury prone" thing is a fan myth.

Reactions: Zaddy

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Injuries like the one Klefbom has do not lower a players value. Teams understand the difference between luck of the draw and chronic issues. The whole "injury prone" thing is a fan myth.
Klefbom is made of glass. Doesn't matter how important you are to the team if your sitting 50 percent of your season on the injured reserve list. At some point Klefboms chronic issues start to get suspicious to me. Last injury..pinky, let's sit out over a month and a half, next injury toenail, time frame 3 weeks.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

This finger injury was a fluke, but to be fair, he has had way more than his share of injuries and missed time. The optics of now missing more time once again, even though a fluke, don't help the perception of many.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Klefbom is made of glass. Doesn't matter how important you are to the team if your sitting 50 percent of your season on the injured reserve list. At some point Klefboms chronic issues start to get suspicious to me. Last injury..pinky, let's sit out over a month and a half, next injury toenail, time frame 3 weeks.

Lol the guy got a slap shot to his hand. There's nothing suspicious about it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

I did my part!

You need to state this before the game so everyone can hold you accountable. Doesn't work when you say it when they already losing. Basically, you gave yourself a free pass to be negative because of the unlikely comeback.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You need to state this before the game so everyone can hold you accountable. Doesn't work when you say it when they already losing. Basically, you gave yourself a free pass to be negative because of the unlikely comeback.
Well, duh.
I ain't giving up on my negativity. But if the Oilers had won the game I would've honoured my bet.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
heh, I totally missed that. thanks for the clarification. I do find it unsettling how much people are discussing trading of our remaining assets. Its how we got into this mess.
There’s no point in trading any of our core players now. We’re rebuilding again and this time it has to be done properly. This team needs a GM that will run the organization the same way Winnipeg did. They went years without making trades. They brought their players along slowly until they were ready. The last dozen years or so sucks but we need to forget about that and stop looking for dumb quick fixes. They aren’t getting us anywhere.

Reactions: Cypress

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Klefbom is their #1 Dman playing 25 minutes a night in all situations. The team always crumbles when he goes down or is playing injured. Nuge is their 2nd line center. Klef is much more valuable to this team.

I think its more complex than that. Its more that when Klef is down with injury it impacts a synergy with Larsson who then becomes less effective as a result. So that its not just Klef, its how other D are impacted and playing up, etc.

If we had 4 valid top d here, which we rarely do, it would be more tenable to survive the loss of one of the D.

But this also speaks to limitations in Larssons game in that he is only a complimentary top pair D. He certainly isn't a Top D that can run with any partner. Elite D can ride with almost any dolt and look quite good.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Connor isn't better than Gaudreau right now and is 5th place in scoring race. Gretzky would be leading the scoring race by around 50pts quite often. Gretz also didn't have the benefit of todays top training equipment, improved equipment, and graphite sticks.

Seriously? Johnny has the benefit of playing with 2 other solid players on his line every night, a better PP, far better contributions from his D, etc. If you want to play this game then Monahan > Draisaitl right now.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Connor isn't better than Gaudreau right now and is 5th place in scoring race. Gretzky would be leading the scoring race by around 50pts quite often. Gretz also didn't have the benefit of todays top training equipment, improved equipment, and graphite sticks.
The last part of your post is incredibly stupid. Well no shit he didn’t, and no one else playing at the time did either.

They were all on the same playing field just like players today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seriously? Johnny has the benefit of playing with 2 other solid players on his line every night, a better PP, far better contributions from his D, etc. If you want to play this game then Monahan > Draisaitl right now.
Scoring wise Monahan is better. Nobody scores the goal Monahan did last night on our lineup. Drai would typically take one shot and for some reason fly the slot. Our players don't tend to hang around for rebounds. Drai could be much more imaginative from a goal scoring pov. What I like most is how Monahan slotted that goal home like a soccer player would. Don't need to hammer it, just flip it into the spot of the open cage.

We're really lacking that ability in the lineup to be imaginative and to respond in real time to chances that are there. Drai is a very rote type of player. He's developed certain things that work but needs to continually build on that. Would help if he wasn't exhausted most of the time.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Scoring wise Monahan is better. Nobody scores the goal Monahan did last night on our lineup. Drai would typically take one shot and for some reason fly the slot. Our players don't tend to hang around for rebounds. Drai could be much more imaginative from a goal scoring pov. What I like most is how Monahan slotted that goal home like a soccer player would. Don't need to hammer it, just flip it into the spot of the open cage.

We're really lacking that ability in the lineup to be imaginative and to respond in real time to chances that are there. Drai is a very rote type of player. He's developed certain things that work but needs to continually build on that. Would help if he wasn't exhausted most of the time.

The bottom line is that we need to stop crapping on McDavid, Drai and Nuge as they are carrying the team. We need a 4th guy that can chip in 60+ points a year up front. We cannot wait for said player, we need him right now.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So tonights game has to be it right? Like I realize that this team has no self respect, but this really has to be it right?

There is no way that Chia is still the gm after the all Star break right? Right? We will be 4 points out, and maybe 6 points. The OBC needs to know that Chia will just make another ridiculously bad trade if they let him right?

I do not know why I would ever expect anything resembling common sense by this organization, but even this group of grade A idiots must have some small amount of intelligence right?

Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad