Fire Chia Thread V: Manning and Petrovic and Spooner Oh ****!

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Another problem which has seemingly struck us this year is Chiarelli's targets have not changed since he's arrived here. He is still pursuing the same players.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Another problem which has seemingly struck us this year is Chiarelli's targets have not changed since he's arrived here. He is still pursuing the same players.

He is pursuing the same type of player that won him the cup. He can't change his mindset. He is a dinosaur. He thinking really is this simple "If I just get those rugged players I like we will win, forget the cost. bam bam we hit we win"

Reactions: frag2

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He is pursuing the same type of player that won him the cup. He can't change his mindset. He is a dinosaur. He thinking really is this simple "If I just get those rugged players I like we will win, forget the cost. bam bam we hit we win"
A bit of both... exact same players and same type players.
I bet he wanted Larsson when he was in BOS.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Now that I watch Hockeycentral, I wish Chia would have picked up Natalie Spooner instead for Strome.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Please stop saying this as if it were true. There are no "top pairing shutdown Dman", that phrase alone is a fallacy. So let's forget the fact that he can't even defend consistently.

A large part of a defenseman's job is to transition and provide offense. Larsson does neither very effectively. For a top pairing Dman, they usually average 23+ minutes a game, that's 23 minutes where you're not gonna expect any offensive contribution from Larsson. That's just unacceptable. Defensive defensemen nowadays are typically deployed in a 2nd or 3rdpairing role. They get 20 minutes per game mostly dzone assignments, and if Larsson can do that (he struggles though) then he's a good 2nd pairing dman. Larsson was only a top pairing dman in name when Klefbom dragged him along, since Klef went down Larsson's been exposed when played in a top pairing role.

The number 1 job of a defenseman is to play defense, its actually in the name of the position.

The only reason Brent Burns is even talked about, is because he's played next to probably the best shutdown defenseman of the past 10 years in Vlasic. People think the only thing that makes a good defenseman is points. Brent Burns is not a good defenseman unless he has a good defensive defenseman sitting next to him. Burns and Karlsson are having crazy years, but they are not good defensively.

Larsson might need Klefbom with him to play well, but maybe that's because Klefbom doesn't make him have to cover for him all the time. The guy can't carry a pairing, but he can play very well with Klefbom and that's all that really matters.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The number 1 job of a defenseman is to play defense, its actually in the name of the position.

The only reason Brent Burns is even talked about, is because he's played next to probably the best shutdown defenseman of the past 10 years in Vlasic. People think the only thing that makes a good defenseman is points. Brent Burns is not a good defenseman unless he has a good defensive defenseman sitting next to him. Burns and Karlsson are having crazy years, but they are not good defensively.

Larsson might need Klefbom with him to play well, but maybe that's because Klefbom doesn't make him have to cover for him all the time. The guy can't carry a pairing, but he can play very well with Klefbom and that's all that really matters.

FWIW Vlasic and Burns have essentially never been paired together.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
This is a denial organization.
The entire hockey world knew that the Oilers were too slow for over a year and a half, yet the Oilers have fought that theory to the end stating things like they are just moving the puck too slow and team speed is fine. They shown signs of trying to appease the masses by obtaining speed through minor moves like waiver wire pick ups, yet their last two trades have been for slower than molasses defensemen. So, they still don't think speed is an issue.
Same with Chia. Arguably the worst GM in the league, possibly the worst GM of the past decade. Does everything wrong (bad trades, overpaying contracts, curious buyouts, inaccessible to media, etc). The whole hockey world knows this, yet the Oilers are willing to push in all their chips behind Chia and let him continue. Not only that, they are doubling down with credit and letting him play with future assets (1st rounder, Pulj) just to make this whole filled roster a little less worse.
This tells me that they are unable to adapt, are unwilling to listen to others, unwilling to change their option and are willing to sink the ship rather than admit that they are wrong.
Mind boggling.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Part of me wants to hang some of the responsibility on the fans. Edmonton fans (god love them) are super passionate and dedicated, which is awesome most of the time. But being that passionate/loyal often leads to just blind support. For the past 10 years, alot of fans have just accepted and justified whatever move was made but whatever GM. The fans and media would spin every bad deal to justify it (Eberle was bad in 2017 playoffs, Schultz wasnt good, Hall was a cancer etc etc).

This translated into fans continuing to go to the games, buy all the merch and give Katz loads and loads of money. Katz had no incentive to make drastic moves. He always had the fan support. He could continue to hire former Oilers and grow the OBC. There was no accountability because most fans would support the team regardless

At the past few games, where have the Fire Chiarelli chants been? Any time a chant starts to go, people just remain quiet. Actively showing anger towards management will go a long, long way. If the owners get scared about anything, its when fans actively demonstrate. So next time a chant gets going, get in on it

*Its not all fans and the ones on HF are probably the most "woke" and critical of management. But most casual fans this applies to

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Part of me wants to hang some of the responsibility on the fans. Edmonton fans (god love them) are super passionate and dedicated, which is awesome most of the time. But being that passionate/loyal often leads to just blind support. For the past 10 years, alot of fans have just accepted and justified whatever move was made but whatever GM. The fans and media would spin every bad deal to justify it (Eberle was bad in 2017 playoffs, Schultz wasnt good, Hall was a cancer etc etc).

This translated into fans continuing to go to the games, buy all the merch and give Katz loads and loads of money. Katz had no incentive to make drastic moves. He always had the fan support. He could continue to hire former Oilers and grow the OBC. There was no accountability because most fans would support the team regardless

At the past few games, where have the Fire Chiarelli chants been? Any time a chant starts to go, people just remain quiet. Actively showing anger towards management will go a long, long way. If the owners get scared about anything, its when fans actively demonstrate. So next time a chant gets going, get in on it

*Its not all fans and the ones on HF are probably the most "woke" and critical of management. But most casual fans this applies to
apathy is far more concerning than anger

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
apathy is far more concerning than anger

Oiler fans will never be apathetic. They went to all the games from 2010-2015 in the darkest of the darkest years, they buy all the jerseys. With McDavid they will continue to go to all the games

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
Whatever happened to the gofundme for a billboard? C’mon people, I can’t stand cheering for the opposite team to embarrass us anymore

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oiler fans will never be apathetic. They went to all the games from 2010-2015 in the darkest of the darkest years, they buy all the jerseys. With McDavid they will continue to go to all the games
I think it's more of a reality then ever though

3-year renewals are up
tickets are dirt cheap on stub hub

if the losing continues, people will slowly give up

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if chia is just about done... maybe Hitch is the replacement interim GM?....

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
They're going to give Chia until the end of the season. Brace yourself for an awful trade at the deadline in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad