Fire Chia Thread IV: Hitchin' a Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Chiarelli makes mistakes like every GM in history. He’s far from perfect but he’s hands down the best GM we’ve had since Sather. He obviously made some bad bets but the organization is night and day from when he took over. We’re calling up legitimate prospects with legitimate shots to be good NHLers now. That hasn’t happened regularly ever in my lifetime and I’m in my 30’s. People jump all over the trades because it’s the easiest thing to see. Drafting and developing is far and away the most important aspect of GMing. That’s how you build a long term contender.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Chiarelli makes mistakes like every GM in history. He’s far from perfect but he’s hands down the best GM we’ve had since Sather. He obviously made some bad bets but the organization is night and day from when he took over. We’re calling up legitimate prospects with legitimate shots to be good NHLers now. That hasn’t happened regularly ever in my lifetime and I’m in my 30’s. People jump all over the trades because it’s the easiest thing to see. Drafting and developing is far and away the most important aspect of GMing. That’s how you build a long term contender.

When Chia took over this team, there was a ton of dead weight that he made disappear. He had alot to fix when he got here, even though he had some elite talent.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
ya, 6g 13 pts in 30 games and a dash 12.... what a useful player towards winning that ebs is lol.

I actually loved Eberle, but the last few years he really took his foot of the gas in the compete category. No clue why but it was obvious it was time to move on.

I loved Hall, I ignored all the red flags from the issues off the ice, but we got market value for him, and am happy for Larsson.

Reinhardt trade, one the worst in Oiler history, but I still think that deal was decided on before Chia got here. That had Mact all over it.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I actually loved Eberle, but the last few years he really took his foot of the gas in the compete category. No clue why but it was obvious it was time to move on.

I loved Hall, I ignored all the red flags from the issues off the ice, but we got market value for him, and am happy for Larsson.

Reinhardt trade, one the worst in Oiler history, but I still think that deal was decided on before Chia got here. That had Mact all over it.

The problem with the Eberle trade is that his was eventually turned into Spooner. Who at this point is basically dead cap space. At $3M, I'd waive him if I though there would be a chance of being claimed. Turned a soft player who gets points into a defense player who doesn't get points into a offensive player who doesn't get points. At least get something that is useful.

We did not get market value for Hall. That was the problem. The Hall trade would have gone over better if it was Larson plus.

Chia has stated that the Reinhardt trade was his responsibility. I just hope the scouts involved with this have been removed.

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
these wins are just killing your narrative at the moment lol
I don’t have a narrative, I just want to cheer for a team that stops shooting itself in the foot. Chiarelli has been terrible and the fact that Hitchcock came out of retirement to save his ass doesn’t change that truth.

If you look around I have given Chiarelli credit for Koskinen and Chiasson. However unsustainable the performances may be, we are nowhere without the contributions of those two guys. Blind Squirrel, meet Peter Chiarelli. Congratulations to you both.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
these wins are just killing your narrative at the moment lol

Just like the losses and failed trades really made yours look bad too. Until Larsson actually discovers offense and Caggiula actually turns into a consistent top 6 player, the narrative looks pretty untouched to me: Chiarelli's stink is being covered by a great coach and the best player in the league.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don’t have a narrative, I just want to cheer for a team that stops shooting itself in the foot. Chiarelli has been terrible and the fact that Hitchcock came out of retirement to save his ass doesn’t change that truth.

If you look around I have given Chiarelli credit for Koskinen and Chiasson. However unsustainable the performances may be, we are nowhere without the contributions of those two guys. Blind Squirrel, meet Peter Chiarelli. Congratulations to you both.

It's an interesting thought exercise for me: how long would he have to do nothing but draft, develop and make small moves/signings before I stop feeling uneasy that he's the Oilers GM? I honestly don't know. Maybe two years, if he actually manages to sign discount contracts? I don't ever want to see him make a major trade ever again.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just like the losses and failed trades really made yours look bad too. Until Larsson actually discovers offense and Caggiula actually turns into a consistent top 6 players, the narrative looks pretty untouched to me: Chiarelli's stink is being covered by a great coach and the best player in the league.
Also goaltending and sustainable Chiasson scoring
Hmmm, who brought those guys in?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Also goaltending and sustainable Chiasson scoring
Hmmm, who brought those guys in?

The same guy who thought Labarbera was a suitable backup and Lucic was going to score goals. Good for him for making as many good moves as Lowe and Tambo.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
My opinion on Chia is that he is a GM that will take 5 small steps forward and then handcuff himself with a big mistake that negates those 5 small steps forward. Hitch was a great hire, but this team is severely lacking in depth and has been getting a lot of bounces these last few games. I think we make the playoffs, which is good, but I fear that Chia buys at the deadline to save his job, to the detriment of the mid-to-long-term outlook of the team.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
No fan of chia but this year he has made some decent moves. And to add to that it took some guts to can todd as he seems to be well respected. Also if it was chias idea to hire hitch then ill give him praise for that move as I never even thought of hitch as a candidate for the job. So credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Bouchard getting another year or two, Yama getting another year or two, letting guys like Bear, Benson, Marody, Jones percolate, that’s huge, that’s what made the Jets.
If he keeps playing it simple and small, ehh, I have no problems. Sure there’s cap problems, but only handful of teams don’t have such things. Keep it simple Chia.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have one Barzal, than pretty much all of our shiny prospects down in Bakersfield. And I'd rather have Hall (who I have felt was a problem even before the trade) than Larsson and the boat anchor of Lucic.

I agree with Chias trades, on the basis that the players needed to go. But which player have we traded and got even close to full value? Even MacT knocked it out of the park with Perron. Where is Chias move like that? Maroon was traded for nothing essentially (2019 3rd does nothing for us for at least another 3 years, Dudek lmao). Talbot was a Slats gift, and I believe was worked on by MacT beforehand (what does slats care about Chia? MacT he would have reason to help) And has been bad more than good. Also probably gone this summer.

Just becaus drafting/development isn't the tire fire it was, doesn't mean it's good. We still have a weak pool of prospects. Let's also not forget that we have a 4oa player with ~30pts in over 100 games. Whether he was the right pick or not is up for debate, at least for another year or two. The fact that he has been developed poorly is not.

People are all enamoured because our prospects aren't the Plante's and Musil's of the world, but they haven't done anything yet. Even Bear, someone I like, I see people scoffing at the idea of trading. He has 7 assists this year, in the AHL. This isn't some blue chip prospect, it's a dime a dozen player that every club has.

It almost feels like people have Stockholm syndrome in regards to Chia and our new batch of shiny new toys. Until even one does something, how about we hold up before claiming he has done a great job with drafting and development.

Reactions: harpoon and Aerchon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad