Fire Chia Thread IV: Hitchin' a Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm kinda torn.. I want Chia gone.. but I want the team to win.

Don't think we can have both?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If we continue to win, yes Hitch will be the biggest reason for that, but Chia brought in Hitch. And if we continue to win, it'll be on the backs of many guys that Hitch has brought in. My one and only defense for Chia has always been, the dude can make a high volume of moves. He's the anti-Tambellini. Sometimes I think in the NHL, it's all about throwing darts at the board and seeing what sticks. The draft is like this. Buy low options are like this. Waiver wire additions are like this. Chia loads us up with ALOT of darts. Sure there's a lot of stinkers in there, but I'm willing to ride out this season and if we make the playoffs, one more offseason, to continue to see Chia's gambles normalize.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fire him regardless.

Keep Hitchock and Keith Gretzky.

He was hired here to build a top end team, not the NY Islanders. He has not delivered on that respect.

The goal is to build a top end team, don't ever lose sight of that, and he is not doing that, some one else should be given the chance. Making the playoffs only means you're not in the bottom half of the league, it's not something to throw a parade over.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2 and RattsSSV

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
They might succeed despite Chia. Anybody with a brain knows he massacred this team.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I hope Chiarelli is still gone at the end of the year no matter what. At least then we'd get a fresh face to try and disassemble his 2012 LA Kings/Ducks. lol

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
It’s obvious that we have a good chance at the Cup this year, I think even if we win it Chias done, there’s just been too many little signs from management, middle management, upper management, vice chairman, chairmen, CEO and ownership that they have lost faith in Chia. He’s riding on borrowed time.

I do think it would be nice for Chia to get to experience winning the cup one more time before the boot, I do appreciate he’s made some good moves such as getting Talbot, Kass and Kosko and McDavid and Drai were both genius franchise transforming picks that look great in hindsight.

Reactions: KingKhron

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They might succeed despite Chia. Anybody with a brain knows he massacred this team.

Edit: spelling

Here's our roster template if Chia never traded any of our 1st round picks that he inherited.

Draisaitl(8.5)-Mcdavid(12.5)-JP(.925)
Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Yamamoto(.895)
xxx-Ek(.895)-Yakupov(2.75)
xxx-xxx-xxx

Klefbom(4.165)-xxx
Nurse(3.2)-Bouchard(.925)
xxx-xxx

xxx
xxx

This is assuming we draft Eriksson Ek in 2015 and qualify Yakupov. This roster comes to a 46.755 cap hit. That leaves us around 33 million to sign a 3rd line LW, entire 4th line, 3 defencemen, 2 goalies and 3 extra roster players.

We could easily fit Eberle, Sekera, Russel, Talbot and Koskinen into the roster.

Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
xxx-Ek(.895)-Yamamoto(.895)
xxx-xxx-Yakupov(2.75)

Klefbom(4.165)-Sekera(5.5)
Russel(4)-xxx

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Now our cap is at 68.92, leaving us with almost 10.5 million to sign two bottom 6 LW's , a 4C, a bottom pairing RD and 3 press box players. Now we'll add Benning, Caggiula and this would be Pouliot's last year if he wasn't bought out.

Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(.895)-Yamamoto(.895)
Pouliot(4)-xxx-Yakupov(2.75)

Russel(4)-Benning(1.9)

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Now our cap is 76.32, that leaves us 3 million to sign a 4C and 3 press box players. Something that could have been easily done. Now we'll send down Yamamoto and Bouchard. We'll add UFA signings Brodziak, Chaisson, Gravel to the active lineup, as well as Garrison, Khaira and Rattie as press box players.

2018/19 roster
Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(.895)-Yakupov(2.75)
Pouliot(4)-Brodziak(1.15)-Chaisson(.650)
Rattie(.8) Khaira(.675)

Nurse(3.2)-Russel(4)
Gravel(.7)-Benning(1.9)
Garrison(.650)

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Cap comes to 79.125. Everything fits under the cap with 300K to spare. This is what our roster would look like to start this season if Chia left everything intact and just added with some minor UFA signings(Sekera being the one big signing). For the 2019/20 season we'd have Eberle, Pouliot, Gravel, Garrison, Talbot and Koskinen off the books but Yamamoto and Bouchard will be in the lineup. We'd be going into 2019/20 with 19.695 cap space to sign two goalies, an extra defenceman as well as RFA's JP, Ek, Yakupov, Rattie, Khaira.

2019/20 roster
Draisaitl(8.5)-Mcdavid(12.5)-JP(2.5)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(2.5)-Yakupov(3.25)
Khaira(1.5)-Brodziak(1.15)-Chaisson(.9)
Rattie(.9)xxx(.65)

Russel(4)-Benning(1.9)
Gravel(.9)

Koskinen(4.5)
xxx(1.5)

This roster comes to a 75.335, leaving us with 8 million to spare. I know this is a hypothetical, what if scenario but this is what our roster could have been with Chia doing the bare minimum instead of making a bad trade every year trying to force things.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Here's our roster template if Chia never traded any of our 1st round picks that he inherited.

xxx-Ek(.895)-Yakupov(2.75)
xxx-xxx-xxx

Klefbom(4.165)-xxx
xxx-xxx

xxx
xxx

This is assuming we draft Eriksson Ek in 2015 and qualify Yakupov. This roster comes to a 46.755 cap hit. That leaves us around 33 million to sign a 3rd line LW, entire 4th line, 3 defencemen, 2 goalies and 3 extra roster players.

We could easily fit Eberle, Sekera, Russel, Talbot and Koskinen into the roster.

Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
xxx-Ek(.895)-Yamamoto(.895)
xxx-xxx-Yakupov(2.75)

Russel(4)-xxx

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Now our cap is at 68.92, leaving us with almost 10.5 million to sign two bottom 6 LW's , a 4C, a bottom pairing RD and 3 press box players. Now we'll add Benning, Caggiula and this would be Pouliot's last year if he wasn't bought out.

Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(.895)-Yamamoto(.895)
Pouliot(4)-xxx-Yakupov(2.75)

Russel(4)-Benning(1.9)

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Now our cap is 76.32, that leaves us 3 million to sign a 4C and 3 press box players. Something that could have been easily done. Now we'll send down Yamamoto and Bouchard. We'll add UFA signings Brodziak, Chaisson, Gravel to the active lineup, as well as Garrison, Khaira and Rattie as press box players.

2018/19 roster
Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(.895)-Yakupov(2.75)
Pouliot(4)-Brodziak(1.15)-Chaisson(.650)
Rattie(.8) Khaira(.675)

Nurse(3.2)-Russel(4)
Gravel(.7)-Benning(1.9)
Garrison(.650)

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Cap comes to 79.125. Everything fits under the cap with 300K to spare. This is what our roster would look like to start this season if Chia left everything intact and just added with some minor UFA signings(Sekera being the one big signing). For the 2019/20 season we'd have Eberle, Pouliot, Gravel, Garrison, Talbot and Koskinen off the books but Yamamoto and Bouchard will be in the lineup. We'd be going into 2019/20 with 19.695 cap space to sign two goalies, an extra defenceman as well as RFA's JP, Ek, Yakupov, Rattie, Khaira.

2019/20 roster
Draisaitl(8.5)-Mcdavid(12.5)-JP(2.5)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(2.5)-Yakupov(3.25)
Khaira(1.5)-Brodziak(1.15)-Chaisson(.9)
Rattie(.9)xxx(.65)

Russel(4)-Benning(1.9)
Gravel(.9)

Koskinen(4.5)
xxx(1.5)

This roster comes to a 75.335, leaving us with 8 million to spare. I know this is a hypothetical, what if scenario but this is what our roster could have been with Chia doing the bare minimum instead of making a bad trade every year trying to force things.

On what planet is Yakupov a productive 3.5M winger? Not in the NHL real world planet. Ek can barely crack the Minnesota roster and you have him as a 3C. So 2/3 of your 3rd line is pure fiction. And JP as a top line RW? Yeah if you want to put an anchor on that line. Again not in the real NHL world, but only in the mind of wishful thinking fanboy. Sekera as a top RD? Last I checked he was a LD with a bad knee and torn achilles tendon whose missed most of the past 2 seasons. \
Your hypothesis fails big time with this line up.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
On what planet is Yakupov a productive 3.5M winger? Not in the NHL real world planet. Ek can barely crack the Minnesota roster and you have him as a 3C. So 2/3 of your 3rd line is pure fiction. And JP as a top line RW? Yeah if you want to put an anchor on that line. Again not in the real NHL world, but only in the mind of wishful thinking fanboy. Sekera as a top RD? Last I checked he was a LD with a bad knee and torn achilles tendon whose missed most of the past 2 seasons. \

It's a hypothetical lineup. Yakupov was a 30ish point player with us making 2.5 which is fine for 3rd line production. He'd also be gtting a raise on his QO. Ek's production is just as bad as Strome's but you can't fit a more expensive player into the lineup. JP looks fine in a top 6 role this season and all he needs to be is a support role for Draisaitl-Mcdavid, you can technically plug anyone into that spot which the team does with Mcdavid. Sekera also plays both sides with this lineup going with a healthy Sekera. Since he's injured his cap hit moves to LTIR, Russel moves up and we sign a UFA Dman with the cap savings. The point i'm making is that if Chia did nothing our depth would be vastly superior to what it is today. The only thing we are missing is Larsson.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ugh.

Another fire Chiarelli thread?

Edit: title updated, guess this is THE fire Chiarelli thread. Ah well.

Chiarelli is responsible for the results whether good or bad.

Most his moves made sense at the time and lead us to a great 2016-2017 year.

However if you examine everything he has done at this exact point he has done more bad than good. If the Oilers have another great year...

Everyone yapping needs to shut it.

You can't crap talk someone for bad results but don't give credit for his good results. Too hypocritical. 2 good years and 2 bad years with the Oilers previous 9+ years preceeding would be damn impressive.

His drafting on paper looks significantly better than previous tenure. He very obviously has a strategy to build the team in a way, while outdated, has been proven to win. It takes time to build through the draft. If... if the Oilers have a good year and he survives it will be based on merit and "potentially" be a good thing long term.

For me if Chiarelli stays on he needs to make the playoffs each consecutive year at least to stay employeed. I will consider him a failure if he does not make the playoffs this year, next year, and then builds a cup contender the following year.

People yammering about how terrible he is really need some perspective. He is very obviously better than the previous management by a considerable margin. This is a fact. He is most likely better than anyone else we can get. He took a perennial omfg embarrassing terrible team and made them significantly better statistically.

I hope he stays as long as the team improves and makes and does damage in the playoffs. Nuff said. Woulda coulda shoulda speculation is really pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
It’s obvious that we have a good chance at the Cup this year, I think even if we win it Chias done, there’s just been too many little signs from management, middle management, upper management, vice chairman, chairmen, CEO and ownership that they have lost faith in Chia. He’s riding on borrowed time.

I do think it would be nice for Chia to get to experience winning the cup one more time before the boot, I do appreciate he’s made some good moves such as getting Talbot, Kass and Kosko and McDavid and Drai were both genius franchise transforming picks that look great in hindsight.

Quizacle Look1.gif

Fail20.gif

lol18.gif

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's a hypothetical lineup. Yakupov was a 30ish point player with us making 2.5 which is fine for 3rd line production. He'd also be gtting a raise on his QO. Ek's production is just as bad as Strome's but you can't fit a more expensive player into the lineup. JP looks fine in a top 6 role this season and all he needs to be is a support role for Draisaitl-Mcdavid, you can technically plug anyone into that spot which the team does with Mcdavid. Sekera also plays both sides with this lineup going with a healthy Sekera. Since he's injured his cap hit moves to LTIR, Russel moves up and we sign a UFA Dman with the cap savings. The point i'm making is that if Chia did nothing our depth would be vastly superior to what it is today. The only thing we are missing is Larsson.

JP is still lost. Watch the games live, he is lost out there still, not in the right positions for breakouts and transition, he takes the outside ice on the rush in the offensive zone, does not use his size on a consistent basis to drive the net and take and hold ice, bottom line is he is not doing fine in a top 6 role, he is a project in a top 6 role. That is the reality. Yak was a house on fire and not an NHL player in 3 NHL teams under qualified coaches including Hitchcock. Ek is a project just like JP. Sekera has been injured and continues to be and this magical top pair RD UFA defenceman did not exist when Sekera went down this year and did not exist last year.

You cant pretend players would have and/or will have panned out or would not have been injured because you have an anti Chia bias and for every hypothetical situation you have someone can give you 2 more. Its really a pointless exercise and in your hypothetical case I find that line up to be completely unrealistic in the extreme.

Just be realistic and deal with what we have in front of us instead of complaining about what could have been.
No need to get into a hypothetical line up that clearly has a lot of wishful thinking.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Would you rather have Yakupov at 3.5 mill or Lucic at 6 mill?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Would you rather have Yakupov at 3.5 mill or Lucic at 6 mill?

Thats pretty simple, Lucic at 6 is the lesser of two evils. Yakupov kills offensive plays through the neutral zone, a complete train wreck in the D zone, and is a skating whirling dervish with no control or patience to his game.

Lucic as he is employed right now is a useful but vastly overpaid player.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Thats pretty simple, Lucic at 6 is the lesser of two evils. Yakupov kills offensive plays through the neutral zone, a complete train wreck in the D zone, and is a skating whirling dervish with no control or patience to his game.

Lucic as he is employed right now is a useful but vastly overpaid player.
I started a poll. We'll see what the popular opinion is.

Edit: personally I take the lower cap hit.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
JP is still lost. Watch the games live, he is lost out there still, not in the right positions for breakouts and transition, he takes the outside ice on the rush in the offensive zone, does not use his size on a consistent basis to drive the net and take and hold ice, bottom line is he is not doing fine in a top 6 role, he is a project in a top 6 role. That is the reality. Yak was a house on fire and not an NHL player in 3 NHL teams under qualified coaches including Hitchcock. Ek is a project just like JP. Sekera has been injured and continues to be and this magical top pair RD UFA defenceman did not exist when Sekera went down this year and did not exist last year.

You cant pretend players would have and/or will have panned out or would not have been injured because you have an anti Chia bias and for every hypothetical situation you have someone can give you 2 more. Its really a pointless exercise and in your hypothetical case I find that line up to be completely unrealistic in the extreme.

Just be realistic and deal with what we have in front of us instead of complaining about what could have been.
No need to get into a hypothetical line up that clearly has a lot of wishful thinking.

You need players on cheap contracts and ELC's to round out a roster with Mcdavid, Draisaitl and other high priced contracts. As I said earlier, I was showing a lineup without Chia trading any of our 1st round picks and how it fits together. Yes, I know that Yakupov is not an NHL player or that JP and Ek are works in progress but I had to fit them into this hypothetical scenario.

I still can't believe there are people defending Chia, he's entering Milbury bad territory.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad