Fire Chia Thread IV: Hitchin' a Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
@hallhopkinseberle I probably nitpicked that one. When you do look at other D-man around the league it's probably around fair value. I personally thought it was around 500K too much, especially since he was here the year before. 500K isn't much to sweat about

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
@hallhopkinseberle I probably nitpicked that one. When you do look at other D-man around the league it's probably around fair value. I personally thought it was around 500K too much, especially since he was here the year before. 500K isn't much to sweat about

So if we kept Eberle who would you replace Russell with? Russell is a big part of this team and without him last season we would have been without our 2nd pairing.

Also is that replacement going to be better than Strome?

Again he should be able to keep his job for another season if he makes the playoffs this season. He did a good job in the past calendar year and he needs to build off it.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
So if we kept Eberle who would you replace Russell with? Russell is a big part of this team and without him last season we would have been without our 2nd pairing.

Also is that replacement going to be better than Strome?

Again he should be able to keep his job for another season if he makes the playoffs this season. He did a good job in the past calendar year and he needs to build off it.
I'm not say we should have kept Eberle, I'm saying that I think we could have found a better way to spend the Cap Space that the trade created.

Like I said, I don't care all that much about that signing, and I'm not going to dig through the FA signings that have happened the last couple of years due to that.

Serious question. We make the playoffs, get booted from the 1st round. You're okay with Chia keeping his job?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm not say we should have kept Eberle, I'm saying that I think we could have found a better way to spend the Cap Space that the trade created.

Like I said, I don't care all that much about that signing, and I'm not going to dig through the FA signings that have happened the last couple of years due to that.

Serious question. We make the playoffs, get booted from the 1st round. You're okay with Chia keeping his job?
yes

he built a team good enough to make the playoffs by bringing in the right players

should the next GM build an instant Cup contender or he's fired too?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
yes

he built a team good enough to make the playoffs by bringing in the right players

should the next GM build an instant Cup contender or he's fired too?
Yes, when you are gifted a generational player and have 4 years to work with the roster.

Reactions: harpoon

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
you've disliked the signings Koskinen, Chiasson, Reider and Broadziak?or the hiring of Hitch?

if they make the playoffs, it'll be in part because of these guys
Did you read what I previously posted?

I stated he has been good when it comes to small trades/signings.

He's the worst in the league when it comes to big trades/signings.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london

He gets to keep his job for another season and I might fire him next season if he gets booted from the 1st round again.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Did you read what I previously posted?

I stated he has been good when it comes to small trades/signings.

He's the worst in the league when it comes to big trades/signings.
so he should be fired because despite building a team good enough for the playoffs, he whiffed on trades and signings from a few years ago?

no doubt he should be fired if they miss this year cause the roster wasn't good enough, but if they make it...I think he gets another offseason

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
so he should be fired because despite building a team good enough for the playoffs, he whiffed on trades and signings from a few years ago?

no doubt he should be fired if they miss this year cause the roster wasn't good enough, but if they make it...I think he gets another offseason
He hasn't whiffed on any deals recently because he literally has no Cap Space to play with so he can't make anymore trades/signings

Like I said, when you are gifted a Generational talent, there should be no reason a successful season is based only on if you make the playoffs.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Like I said, when you are gifted a Generational talent, there should be no reason a successful season is based only on if you make the playoffs.
the problem with that thinking is you think generational player= instant Cup contender

when you were as broken as this franchise is...it takes years to dig out of that hole

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
the problem with that thinking is you think generational player= instant Cup contender

when you were as broken as this franchise is...it takes years to dig out of that hole
I'm beyond amazed that you're defending Chia and his decision making as the Oiler GM.

I'm going to concentrate more on the game though, we'll just agree to disagree.

Reactions: harpoon

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm beyond amazed that you're defending Chia and his decision making as the Oiler GM.

I'm going to concentrate more on the game though, we'll just agree to disagree.
I'm the resident "Chia defender" around here :)

I just think he's done more good and bad is all...especially on the drafting and development side of things
which I've seen a major improvement

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'm the resident "Chia defender" around here :)

I just think he's done more good and bad is all...especially on the drafting and development side of things
which I've seen a major improvement
Wait last thing.

Did you mean you think he's done more good than bad....?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't even know what to say to this. Come on dude...... wow
what, that I don't share the same opinion as the masses?

The Reinhart trade was brutal
the Talbot trade was good
the Maroon trade was good
the Kassian trade for Scrivens was good

the Lucic signing was bad
Gustafsson signing was bad
the Hall-Larsson trade was understandable despite loss of talent

the Klefbom extension was good
the Talbot extension was good
the McDavid extension was good
the Draisaitl extension was decent with a slight overpay

the Eberle trade was bad
not using the cap space was a bad idea

Marody trade was decent

Koskinen signing was good
Chiasson signed was good
Reider signing was good
Broadziak signing was good

most of all I enjoyed the drafting of skill and the development this year

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
what, that I don't share the same opinion as the masses?

The Reinhart trade was brutal
the Talbot trade was good
the Maroon trade was good
the Kassian trade for Scrivens was good

the Lucic signing was bad
Gustafsson signing was bad
the Hall-Larsson trade was understandable despite loss of talent

the Klefbom extension was good
the Talbot extension was good
the McDavid extension was good
the Draisaitl extension was decent with a slight overpay

the Eberle trade was bad
not using the cap space was a bad idea

Marody trade was decent

Koskinen signing was good
Chiasson signed was good
Reider signing was good
Broadziak signing was good

most of all I enjoyed the drafting of skill and the development this year

The drafting and development have been night and day. Gone are the days of us calling up Marco arcobello in case of injuries.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Lellan would look pretty bad if a new coach turn around this team completely! Chia sign Koskinen who Lellan didnt play even though Talbot struggled big time! Chiasson another beauty!

Chia could get away with this unharmed if this success continues, "it wasnt the players i took in, it was the coach"!

space321

May 11, 2011
you've disliked the signings Koskinen, Chiasson, Reider and Broadziak?or the hiring of Hitch?

if they make the playoffs, it'll be in part because of these guys

I like Reider, I like Koskinen. I liked both before the start of camp and I still like them. Chiasson just continues to prove everyone wrong but there is zero chance he keeps the 30%+ shooting average for the season. I'd like him to stay b/c he's effective in his role but hopefully we don't overpay him. I liked the Brodziak signing too and I feel he's better than Lucic and Kassian tbh.

However, I still don't think Hitchcock can coach this roster to a Cup. So I'm hesitant to jump all aboard right now. Coaching changes early in the season generally have a very bipolar result. Teams often take two extremes, either they turn the season around or they just completely suck (like LA and Chicago right now). However, a turnaround induced by a coaching change rarely lasts longer than a season. Many STL fans talk about how Hitchcock's style of coaching has a shelf life of only a few years. And Hitchcock hasn't coached any team to notable results since 1999, that's 20 years ago.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think everyone in the organization is an idiot from Katz on down to Chia, except Hitchcock, who is a kind of hockey genius.

Hitch is the only smart person in the organization (non-player). And not "any coach" could get these results, I think Hitch, Darryl Sutter, and maaaaybe Gerard Gallant could pull off the same but that's it. I doubt even Babcock or Quennville could do the same because they still require fairly deep teams to have success anywhere and are not as strict system-wise.

You need a very strict defensive style to make up for an otherwise poor roster, combine with good enough goaltending and McDavid, that can work if the goal is to just get into the playoffs.

I'll give Chia credit for Koskinen, but the rest of the team he's built past the three centers he was gifted is still quite poor, the bottom line is you don't need to give McDavid much to have a decent team. Just good goaltending.

Reactions: oil85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->