Fire Chia Thread IV: Hitchin' a Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Based on...?

Chia makes moves for 4 years that perfectly reflect the same poor talent assessment and poor cap management he exercised in Boston and people still want to give him a pass.

Even down to the convenient whispers of upper management interference when it all goes off the rails.

I have no idea how the inner circle of the Oilers work. Neither does anyone else. I would guess there’s several voices and Chia makes the final call. I would think most teams operate this way.

I would like a clean sweep as much as anyone but this is Chia’s team and he needs to be removed before he does any more damage trying to save his own skin.

i'm sure he's mostly responsible for the poor job that has been done but i just think he's also kind of a puppet a**shill. we saw on tv how the seguin trade went down. it was basically a unanimous decision by the entire scouting staff and his boss cam neely to trade segs. the reinhart deal stank of bob green and obc. either way he does seem quite incompetent and not sure why the obc hired him in the first place and why they have not fired him yet. possibly because most of the obc like lowe are not on good terms with other gms and need a shill liason like chia to help make moves for him and macT. who knows. it's a sh** show. will things really change that much with a new gm in and the obc still here to meddle?

i have a feeling tambo was a puppet. he didn't make many moves at all. i bet the obc kept saying "ah, no,we won't allow you to trade player X, try again."

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I love to see the losers who mocked me when I was pretty much the only one who wanted this ****ing asshat gone.

How is the crow?

Haha
They’re mostly still here. Sudden cases of amnesia are going around. :shakehead

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I mean it's easy to be negative 24/7 with the Oilers and turn out right most of the time.

Chia made some good moves early on with one big blunder in the Reinhart trade. Personally I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for that move (as much as I hated it) because he also brought in guys like Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, Larsson, Letestu and Kassian who ended up being big contributors to this team in 16/17.

It's every move since then that has sunk this team. And Sekera's injuries combined with Talbot suddenly becoming terrible certainly hasn't helped.

They’re mostly still here. Sudden cases of amnesia are going around. :shakehead

You mean amnesia in the same way that the people who crapped on Chia from day 1 forgets the 16/17 season where the Oilers was a legitimately good team? That doesn't count at all? People weren't right to support him after his moves helped the Oilers go deep in the playoffs for the first time since 2006?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Seravalli with a good point... If you know chia isn't your guy going forward why are you going to let him make moves on deadline day?

Last 3 moves

Spooner
Petrovic
Manning

Yuck

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You mean amnesia in the same way that the people who crapped on Chia from day 1 forgets the 16/17 season where the Oilers was a legitimately good team? That doesn't count at all? People weren't right to support him after his moves helped the Oilers go deep in the playoffs for the first time since 2006?

Winning one round=going deep now?

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
If you know chia isn't your guy going forward why are you going to let him make moves on deadline day?

Because the Oilers are a mickey mouse organization and apparently want to remain that way. Not sure if it's Katz' stubbornness or what, but we are 100% the worst run team in the league. There's not really a debate at this point we are the joke of the league bar none. Even Melnyk's Senators or the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes have both made the playoffs way more than we have the last 12 years. If we had simply never made a trade and auto drafted the last 10 years we would have been better off.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I mean it's easy to be negative 24/7 with the Oilers and turn out right most of the time.

Chia made some good moves early on with one big blunder in the Reinhart trade. Personally I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for that move (as much as I hated it) because he also brought in guys like Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, Larsson, Letestu and Kassian who ended up being big contributors to this team in 16/17.

It's every move since then that has sunk this team. And Sekera's injuries combined with Talbot suddenly becoming terrible certainly hasn't helped.

I gave Chiarelli the benefit of the doubt and admittedly drank the kool aid that Cam Neely was the issue in Boston, not Chiarelli. Mostly because of the Bruins horrible offseason right after Chiarelli got fired

Then came the Reinhart deal, I gave him another excuse because I thought maybe Green/MacT were in his ear and he needed to desperately make a trade given Hamilton just got dealt right before. The Talbot trade was a plus to me, so I was ok with the 2015 draft (loved the later round picks)

The Hall trade was what did me in. This showed me instantly that it wasnt Neely, it wasnt MacT. Chiarelli legitmately thought that building a winner meant overpaying for depth players. He was able to do this in Boston and have those dumb trades masked because he had Chara, Bergeron, Krecji Rask and Marchand. The Hall trade was when his true colors came out. I think it was at this time i had lost all hope (even though it was early on), he had the dumbs that you cant fix. Other posters took that sliver of justification and ran with it pretty far to make the trade seem better than it was.

Then came the Eberle trade and just confirmed how dumb/outdated Chiarelli is. I can see a tiny sliver of justification for the Hall deal, being that the Oilers were in pretty dire need, GMs coudl squeeze Chiarelli, and Larsson was up and coming. But the Eberle deal is unjustifiable. Traded the offseason after the Oilers had a solid season, no way we should be selling at a discount. Then he trades a legit top 6 forward for a pure and simple bottom 6 forward.

The third thing that got me was Chiarellis complete lack of urgency to do anything really. He just does nothing. There has been a far number of roster movement the past 3 years and Chiarelli isnt anywhere near it (unless hes the guy getting the raw end of the deal). Like we need a puck moving RHD, so instead of searching for one, we overpay for a LHD will no puck moving ability, simply because hes alreayd ont he team so its easier to resign

The 16/17 Oilers also had issues. They just got a ton of luck with injuries and schedule (already been shown numerous times). Basically everything went right for them and they were mearly a playoff team. Once they had normal injuries, they were going to be in tough. This was discussed even as the playoffs were going on but people just asusmed Oilers were going to be legit going forward

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly don't think they were that good in 16-17.

Talbot played out of his mind that year and they got juuuuuuuuuust enough out of Eberle/Lucic and surprise contributions from Maroon along with Draisaitl going supernova to get by.

The PP got a temporary boost from the unconventional usage of Letestu as the triggerman.

Once teams started scouting the Letestu PP option and looked closer at how to beat Talbot, it fell apart pretty darn quick.

My assumption was Talbot would be that good every year, but he clearly hasn't been able to pull that off and without him being able to mask a lot of issues on the roster it becomes very obvious that Chia has built an awful roster.

Last edited:

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Seravalli with a good point... If you know chia isn't your guy going forward why are you going to let him make moves on deadline day?

Last 3 moves

Spooner
Petrovic
Manning

Yuck

He's been especially awful ever since we went on that playoff run. And that's already after he made his 3 most controversial moves in the Hall and Reinhart trades and Lucic deal. At least after that playoff run we looked like we were moving forward, but it's been a complete trainwreck.

Last edited:

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Vindication must feel good...This board loved the hire, and the Lucic signing LOL.

Honestly no one could have predicted Lucic to become a smoking crater of his former self. A drop off could be predicted, but there is no one that would have been taken seriously if they said he'd be at where he is now...

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

I don't understand the people who have to drag up old opinions and posts. People change. I personally have flip flopped multiple times on coaches/gms/players. That's the sign of a good discussion, someone making you rethink your own opinions. Good discussions are why I joined this board in the first place, not to read about people who were so pessimistic from the start that everyone owes them an apology for not being equally depressing.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hope this draft year is trash, cause we won't have a first.

The thing is, it won't be worth it. How can he lose so many trades?

UFAs are a okay with me.
Sekera, Lucic
Those were two top coveted assets. Many teams would have done what we did. The contracts suck now. But they would exist elsewhere. One of his skills might actually be persuading a top free agent to sign with his team. He did solve two problems and we get a decent amount of college signings. Let him make the sales pitch but not sign the contract.

I like to look at trades and re-signs more than free agency.
It is bad. Very, very, very bad. Squandered AND overpaid. You see some managers who do one or the other and still make out okay.

We'll be begging for Seattle to draft Khaira and take Lucic and a first soon.

We should hold onto ours now. Rather than only have one over three years.

Multiple rambles.

Reactions: TB12

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Still surprised there aren't any "FireChia" chants at games.

Its pretty telling when the normally flaccid media has all but started calling out Chia. Nicholson, you overrated hack what the f*** are you doing? This piece of shit, Chiarelli clearly wont be back next year so why are you letting him make Spoony Manning moves?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As much as it sickens me to say this, I would rather make the playoffs.

I get it, I really do. But I'm looking at the long picture here. 1 more year where we don't make the playoffs is far less catastrophic than another 1 or 2 years of Chia. Chia sets this team back years with every move he makes. If we get a new GM and become a powerhouse in the next 2-3 years, we won't be thinking about not making the playoffs in 2019.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly no one could have predicted Lucic to become a smoking crater of his former self. A drop off could be predicted, but there is no one that would have been taken seriously if they said he'd be at where he is now...

Yeah, this is 100% true. Most of us didn't like the signing (I know I hated it), but even the biggest skeptics couldn't have guessed he'd be as bad as he has been. The first 1.5 years of his deal it looked like we overpaid, but at least got the player we thought we were getting. Now we have a guy who probably shouldn't even be in the league anymore, and are paying him 6 million for the next 4 years. I've literally never seen a player drop faster than Lucic has. I really struggle to think of another player whose play dropped off this quickly without a major injury playing a role.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Winning one round=going deep now?

I mean, you are technically right but they were 1 game away from the WCF's but got screwed over by poor reffing. Making the WCF's would've been a very deep playoff run, taking round 2 to game 7 is still fairly deep. It's not like they just laid over and died once they reached the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad