Fire Chia Thread IV: Hitchin' a Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Id do the exact opposite and try to resign him for July 1 2020. I think there is a decent chance you could get him to sign for not much more than what he makes now on a long term deal if he thinks he is valued and if the team looks like it is going in a better direction. Trading him will make the team worse in the short run for sure and probably in the ling run. But of course for this to work there are some major changes that need to be made.

If you can get a Duchene trade-like return (high end picks and prospects) you consider it. Like it or not, we're looking at another rebuild here, so we should plan accordingly if we want to compete in the second half of Connor's deal.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
As long as the Oilers are in the hunt for a playoff spot, Chia will stay. I'm convinced of that. If they keep nipping around the edges, this could be long and painful. Might be February before we see a firing.

Yep, that's what I think too. I think his stay is going to be longer unless things really go off the rails and they fall to the bottom five. If you read between the lines what Nicholson said a few weeks ago, he's here for the season as long as they stay, as you said, nibbling the edges of a playoff spot. Someone in an interview asked if Chiarelli's job was safe and his answer was something along the lines of "If they make the playoffs, it is."

That right there tells me he's getting the season. Plus his safety net are the three key injuries to the defense, considering how well the team was rolling before they lost Russell and Klefbom.

I say get used to it folks, Chiarelli is here for the season and longer if they squeak into the playoffs.

Oilers CEO says Chiarelli's job is safe if team makes playoffs

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If you can get a Duchene trade-like return (high end picks and prospects) you consider it. Like it or not, we're looking at another rebuild here, so we should plan accordingly if we want to compete in the second half of Connor's deal.
If the Ottawa pick was say 10 or worse that return for Duchene would take 3 to 5 years to give you the value that Nuge currently does if you are lucky. At that point Connor would be in the back half of his deal.

You have a core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klebom, Larsson, Bouchard and Nurse to work with. The task is to clear cap space and make smart adds to this not subtract from it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the Ottawa pick was say 10 or worse that return for Duchene would take 3 to 5 years to give you the value that Nuge currently does if you are lucky. At that point Connor would be in the back half of his deal.

You have a core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klebom, Larsson, Bouchard and Nurse to work with. The task is to clear cap space and make smart adds to this not subtract from it.

I know that it's early but I'd add Jones to that list as well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I don't see the Oilers competing before then anyway. Too many bad deals to ride out, not enough in the pipeline, not enough assets for trade.

The core of this team is Connor McDavid and maybe Drai and Bouchard (that last is a biiig maybe). Everything and everyone else is expendable for the right price.

Reactions: frag2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Do you know when Duchene's deal is up? I know they're talking extension and it's not going well but I haven't paid enough attention if it expires this season or next. Melnyk probably wants him to take a 60% paycut :laugh:.

I totally agree they have to demolish Chiarelli's collosal failure of a build.
The problem or question is, does McDavid have the patience to see another one through. I think they're going to have to do some serious begging to get him to not ask for a trade if not after this season, then after next one if they miss the playoffs again. He and Orr are going to need some serious convincing if that happens.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Do you know when Duchene's deal is up? I know they're talking extension and it's not going well but I haven't paid enough attention if it expires this season or next. Melnyk probably wants him to take a 60% paycut :laugh:..

Duchene is a UFA this summer.

The problem or question is, does McDavid have the patience to see another one through. I think they're going to have to do some serious begging to get him to not ask for a trade if not after this season, then after next one if they miss the playoffs again. He and Orr are going to need some serious convincing if that happens.

That's the wildcard here. I think Connor is a good company man, though and if they can sell him on an actual plan (which I don't believe Chia ever had), then maybe he rides it out? Probably beats chipping away at the edges in hopes of squeaking in as a bubble team every year.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Do you know when Duchene's deal is up? I know they're talking extension and it's not going well but I haven't paid enough attention if it expires this season or next. Melnyk probably wants him to take a 60% paycut :laugh:.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have already floated the idea of a trade. I doubt they have demanded one, but I would be pretty surprised if the talk hasn't already happened at some level.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if they have already floated the idea of a trade. I doubt they have demanded one, but I would be pretty surprised if the talk hasn't already happened at some level.

That might be the only way Katz winds up cleaning house from top to bottom.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That might be the only way Katz winds up cleaning house from top to bottom.

Katz still won't do it. If he has to choose between sniffing the jock straps of his boyhood heros, or keeping the team competitive by keeping McDavid, he will choose the loyalty to the OBC. He will never fire them. If they haven't been fired after 12 years of failure, they never will be. Our only hope is that the OBC gets lucky with their next GM hire (cause they won't be able to do it from skill or intelligence), or that Katz sells the team.

Reactions: ChokeOnOil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Katz still won't do it. If he has to choose between sniffing the jock straps of his boyhood heros, or keeping the team competitive by keeping McDavid, he will choose the loyalty to the OBC. He will never fire them. If they haven't been fired after 12 years of failure, they never will be. Our only hope is that the OBC gets lucky with their next GM hire (cause they won't be able to do it from skill or intelligence), or that Katz sells the team.

I forgot about their buzzword for the last decade plus.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't see the Oilers competing before then anyway. Too many bad deals to ride out, not enough in the pipeline, not enough assets for trade.

The core of this team is Connor McDavid and maybe Drai and Bouchard (that last is a biiig maybe). Everything and everyone else is expendable for the right price.

This. I guess if you intend to keep Klef and Lars as 2nd pairing, that's 'ok' but our D needs an upgrade in the worst possible way. When those 2 are your top pairing, good luck winning much. They might have this synergy between them in spurts but with Klef almost always getting injured and Lars Jekyl and Hyde defensively [I no longer have any expectations offensively for the guy], you're bound to lose more than you win.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Chia is good as gone. He doesn't last another week, by January 18, 2018 this team will have a new (or temp) GM. The Spooner, Manning and Petrovic trades were the final 3 nails in Pete's coffin. Worst GM in NHL history.

Reactions: Consultant

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Eberle-Strome-Spooner devolution has Chia's hands all over it. Its all Chia all day.

He traded, in sum, a 76pt player for Ryan Spooner. Theres been so many fireable offenses but this would be alone. Spooner was scratched last game and played 7mins last night against weakest opposition. He managed to be a - player in 7EV shifts againt bottomsix. He has 5pts in half a season. He's not even an NHL player at this point. He's somebody that has given up the dream and refusing to work. he knows its done, the coach does, team does. He's just in the lineup because Chia traded Strome, Cagg, let Aberg walk, and waived Zykov.

Meanwhile Ryan Strome making a quiet, and decent contribution in NY in botttomsix and has 5G 6A 11pts through half a season, plays Center, and works much harder than Spooner.

So not only is Chia Spoonfeeding this pathetic player to Hitch. He's giving him no other NHL alternative to work with. Every fan on this board now realizes Spooner is absolutely f***ing useless, the 5th NHL coach in a row realizes it, but Chia has moved other guys so THIS guy could stay. Because he traded for him...

Chia is EXPOSED entirely on this deal. Not even he believes he got value for Eberle, he's traded down twice from that. But he's so stubborn Spooner will be on the roster until this f***er is fired.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Chia needs to be fired, I am at the point where I have no interest in even watching or caring about this team until he gets canned. It just hurts me to support at team that can't even can a guy who will go down as one of the worst GM's in NHL history.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hopefully he's fired soon, I don't want him to "try and fix" this anymore.

Also, I can't even fathom how different this roster will look once it's changed by the next GM.

Reactions: frag2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Boy I sure wish I had a job where I could do nothing but screw up and still keep my job.

Weatherperson and NHL GM. Those are the only two jobs I can think of that fit those job descriptions.

General comment...Jones shreds Chiarelli in his latest write-up in the Sun.

Reactions: Consultant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad