Fire Chia Thread IV: Hitchin' a Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You need players on cheap contracts and ELC's to round out a roster with Mcdavid, Draisaitl and other high priced contracts. As I said earlier, I was showing a lineup without Chia trading any of our 1st round picks and how it fits together. Yes, I know that Yakupov is not an NHL player or that JP and Ek are works in progress but I had to fit them into this hypothetical scenario.

I still can't believe there are people defending Chia, he's entering Milbury bad territory.

Whose defending Chia? Your hypotheticals make no sense as most hypotheticals.

The Fire Chia rant crowd want everyone in lock step with their every post. Doesn’t make one a Chia supporter if I don’t agree with inane hypothetical scenarios.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ugh.

Another fire Chiarelli thread?

Edit: title updated, guess this is THE fire Chiarelli thread. Ah well.

Chiarelli is responsible for the results whether good or bad.

Most his moves made sense at the time and lead us to a great 2016-2017 year.

However if you examine everything he has done at this exact point he has done more bad than good. If the Oilers have another great year...

Everyone yapping needs to shut it.

You can't crap talk someone for bad results but don't give credit for his good results. Too hypocritical. 2 good years and 2 bad years with the Oilers previous 9+ years preceeding would be damn impressive.

His drafting on paper looks significantly better than previous tenure. He very obviously has a strategy to build the team in a way, while outdated, has been proven to win. It takes time to build through the draft. If... if the Oilers have a good year and he survives it will be based on merit and "potentially" be a good thing long term.

For me if Chiarelli stays on he needs to make the playoffs each consecutive year at least to stay employeed. I will consider him a failure if he does not make the playoffs this year, next year, and then builds a cup contender the following year.

People yammering about how terrible he is really need some perspective. He is very obviously better than the previous management by a considerable margin. This is a fact. He is most likely better than anyone else we can get. He took a perennial omfg embarrassing terrible team and made them significantly better statistically.

I hope he stays as long as the team improves and makes and does damage in the playoffs. Nuff said. Woulda coulda shoulda speculation is really pointless.

This is the exact mindset that led the Islanders to where they are today and losing Tavares.

Content and happy with "just making the playoffs" every other year or so, they kept Garth Snow employed for years past his due date rather than hiring a better GM.

I'm not content with just "grovelling for the playoffs" as if that's some monumental achievement, I don't care what came in the time before McDavid.

McDavid and this fanbase deserve an *elite* team that is a legit contender. That's the job Chiarelli was hired for and is payed $3 whopping million dollars a year to deliver on. Not just a "maybe playoffs" team after 4 years of work here that gets in on the basis of McDavid dragging them there and riding hot goaltending.

We deserve better than this shit, we deserve at minimum the same type of team that they have in Winnipeg and Toronto. The goal here is to win a Cup, not just scraping into a playoff spot, and not giving mediocrity a time extension to do more mediocre things.

He is not going to magically build a team for next season that is a "Cup contender" if he's made this little progress in 4 years. This franchise owes it to itself to find someone better.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is the exact mindset that led the Islanders to where they are today and losing Tavares.

Content and happy with "just making the playoffs" every other year or so, they kept Garth Snow employed for years past his due date rather than hiring a better GM.

I'm not content with just "grovelling for the playoffs" as if that's some monumental achievement, I don't care what came in the time before McDavid.

McDavid and this fanbase deserve an *elite* team that is a legit contender. That's the job Chiarelli was hired for and is payed $3 whopping million dollars a year to deliver on. Not just a "maybe playoffs" team after 4 years of work here that gets in on the basis of McDavid dragging them there and riding hot goaltending.

We deserve better than this ****, we deserve at minimum the same type of team that they have in Winnipeg and Toronto. The goal here is to win a Cup, not just scraping into a playoff spot, and not giving mediocrity a time extension to do more mediocre things.

He is not going to magically build a team for next season that is a "Cup contender" if he's made this little progress in 4 years. This franchise owes it to itself to find someone better.

I agree about the NYI ref. So your the GM. What do you do short and long term?

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

We deserve better than this ****, we deserve at minimum the same type of team that they have in Winnipeg and Toronto. The goal here is to win a Cup, not just scraping into a playoff spot, and not giving mediocrity a time extension to do more mediocre things.

I've read 53% of millennials expect to become millionaires.

In this economy. In this global climate. Over half the population of a generation believe they will be wildly successful.

Is that optimism or stupidity?

In today's NHL parity is real. Cap constraints are real. Great teams miss the playoffs. Great teams load up and can't get past the second round consistently.

The Leafs and Winnipeg took forever to get to where they are. Realistically have only a slightly better chance to win the cup than the Oilers. Both are likely unable to keep the team they have for long. Neither team is perfect.

Leafs have gone 52? Years without a cup. Pre cap they always had the biggest salaries and couldn't buy a cup.

Deserve better is a ridiculous things to say. McDavid doesn't deserve shit. We don't deserve shit. As bad as its been recently, the Oilers have one of the most successful franchises in its relatively brief history.

Chiarelli gave us a good playoff run. More post season victories than Calgary has in the last ten years? Can't remember the stat. With how terrible this team was, doing that by his second year was impressive. Saying Talbot and McDavid carried the team is ridiculous. If true Chiarelli just needs to resign Talbot for 8 more years and we're good...

I appreciate that 2016-2017 year. Always will.

I don't consider myself a Chiarelli supporter. Just a supporter of reality.

The unfortunate truth is without Chiarelli the 2016-2017 was unlikely to happen. It's also unlikely that anyone the Edmonton mismanagement team gets after Chiarelli is gone is going to be better. Let alone so much better they can fix the current issues AND make a perennial cup contender.

Personally, I think before Chiarelli is fired for having 3 years of overall mediocre hockey, the management team that put up 9 years of pathetic embarrassing hockey needs to be flushed.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Personally, I think before Chiarelli is fired for having 3 years of overall mediocre hockey, the management team that put up 9 years of pathetic embarrassing hockey needs to be flushed.

No question about it. Fire all the Chiarelli’s you want. Nothing changes around here without the removal of that crew first.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

In this economy. In this global climate. Over half the population of a generation believe they will be wildly successful.

In today's NHL parity is real. Cap constraints are real. Great teams miss the playoffs. Great teams load up and can't get past the second round consistently.

The Leafs and Winnipeg took forever to get to where they are. Realistically have only a slightly better chance to win the cup than the Oilers. Both are likely unable to keep the team they have for long. Neither team is perfect.

Leafs have gone 52? Years without a cup. Pre cap they always had the biggest salaries and couldn't buy a cup.

Deserve better is a ridiculous things to say. McDavid doesn't deserve ****. We don't deserve ****. As bad as its been recently, the Oilers have one of the most successful franchises in its relatively brief history.

Chiarelli gave us a good playoff run. More post season victories than Calgary has in the last ten years? Can't remember the stat. With how terrible this team was, doing that by his second year was impressive. Saying Talbot and McDavid carried the team is ridiculous. If true Chiarelli just needs to resign Talbot for 8 more years and we're good...

The unfortunate truth is without Chiarelli the 2016-2017 was unlikely to happen. It's also unlikely that anyone the Edmonton mismanagement team gets after Chiarelli is gone is going to be better. Let alone so much better they can fix the current issues AND make a perennial cup contender.

2016-17 is nothing special I have no fond feelings about it at all given what came afterwards. And salary cap realities demand you better have a good manager of the cap which Chia is not, all the more reason he needs to go.

When you have a generational talent you have a responsibility to give him a great team. A *great* team not the Tavares era Islanders.

Otherwise the Oilers should've pissed off and taken Noah Hanifin. And in that case I'd be OK with just being a mediocre franchise that is content to grovel on their knees for the 1st round as a "good" year.

But not with McDavid.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Deserve better is a ridiculous things to say. McDavid doesn't deserve ****. We don't deserve ****. As bad as its been recently, the Oilers have one of the most successful franchises in its relatively brief history.

well said. ya we WANT there to be success... great success but we or connor don't "deserve" s*** all. guys like soundwave will never be satisfied and will always complain. we can make the playoffs this year and go 3 rounds deep and he'll be like "bleh, we deserved to win the cup". we can win the cup say 2 years from now and he'll say " eff that, we should have won two or three by now." we can win 3 of the next 7 cups and that won't be good enough for guys like him. will always find something to complain about.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
well said. ya we WANT there to be success... great success but we or connor don't "deserve" s*** all. guys like soundwave will never be satisfied and will always complain. we can make the playoffs this year and go 3 rounds deep and he'll be like "bleh, we deserved to win the cup". we can win the cup say 2 years from now and he'll say " eff that, we should have won two or three by now." we can win 3 of the next 7 cups and that won't be good enough for guys like him. will always find something to complain about.

Except none of those things actually happen. We just keep finishing out of the playoffs barring one fluke year.
And just like your accusing soundwave of, many keep saying it’s all good, everything’s fine.
Despite the facts.

Rains

Jun 22, 2012
Fernie BC
Look at those two first lines , really who cares who is on the right side with Drai and McDavid. With Hall, Nuge, and Ebs on the second we would by far have the best two lines in Hockey. Building the third and fourth around those two would be very simple with the rest of the current players and pickups since then

It’s just sad what Chia did to us. None of it had to be done whatsoever. None of it for fu**s sake.
Idiot

QUOTE="McShogun99, post: 153335053, member:
90236"]Here's our roster template if Chia never traded any of our 1st round picks that he inherited.

Draisaitl(8.5)-Mcdavid(12.5)-JP(.925)
Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Yamamoto(.895)
xxx-Ek(.895)-Yakupov(2.75)
xxx-xxx-xxx

Klefbom(4.165)-xxx
Nurse(3.2)-Bouchard(.925)
xxx-xxx

xxx
xxx

This is assuming we draft Eriksson Ek in 2015 and qualify Yakupov. This roster comes to a 46.755 cap hit. That leaves us around 33 million to sign a 3rd line LW, entire 4th line, 3 defencemen, 2 goalies and 3 extra roster players.

We could easily fit Eberle, Sekera, Russel, Talbot and Koskinen into the roster.

Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
xxx-Ek(.895)-Yamamoto(.895)
xxx-xxx-Yakupov(2.75)

Klefbom(4.165)-Sekera(5.5)
Russel(4)-xxx

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Now our cap is at 68.92, leaving us with almost 10.5 million to sign two bottom 6 LW's , a 4C, a bottom pairing RD and 3 press box players. Now we'll add Benning, Caggiula and this would be Pouliot's last year if he wasn't bought out.

Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(.895)-Yamamoto(.895)
Pouliot(4)-xxx-Yakupov(2.75)

Russel(4)-Benning(1.9)

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Now our cap is 76.32, that leaves us 3 million to sign a 4C and 3 press box players. Something that could have been easily done. Now we'll send down Yamamoto and Bouchard. We'll add UFA signings Brodziak, Chaisson, Gravel to the active lineup, as well as Garrison, Khaira and Rattie as press box players.

2018/19 roster
Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(.895)-Yakupov(2.75)
Pouliot(4)-Brodziak(1.15)-Chaisson(.650)
Rattie(.8) Khaira(.675)

Nurse(3.2)-Russel(4)
Gravel(.7)-Benning(1.9)
Garrison(.650)

Talbot(4.165)
Koskinen(2.5)

Cap comes to 79.125. Everything fits under the cap with 300K to spare. This is what our roster would look like to start this season if Chia left everything intact and just added with some minor UFA signings(Sekera being the one big signing). For the 2019/20 season we'd have Eberle, Pouliot, Gravel, Garrison, Talbot and Koskinen off the books but Yamamoto and Bouchard will be in the lineup. We'd be going into 2019/20 with 19.695 cap space to sign two goalies, an extra defenceman as well as RFA's JP, Ek, Yakupov, Rattie, Khaira.

2019/20 roster
Draisaitl(8.5)-Mcdavid(12.5)-JP(2.5)
Hall(6)-RNH(6)-Yamamoto(.895)
Caggiula(1.5)-Ek(2.5)-Yakupov(3.25)
Khaira(1.5)-Brodziak(1.15)-Chaisson(.9)
Rattie(.9)xxx(.65)

Russel(4)-Benning(1.9)
Gravel(.9)

Koskinen(4.5)
xxx(1.5)

This roster comes to a 75.335, leaving us with 8 million to spare. I know this is a hypothetical, what if scenario but this is what our roster could have been with Chia doing the bare minimum instead of making a bad trade every year trying to force things.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Zero complaints of they win a Cup but you don't win one with hopes and prayers.

That requires high end roster building to win 4 rounds.

But no I won't be satisfied with just being the Islanders, making the playoffs once in a while and acting like that a parade should be thrown and the GM gets multiple years to dither around because of that.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
To be fair, most of us were strokin it when we signed Lucic, thinking he was going to be on the 1st line with Connor.

He visited our arena!
Connor asked to sign Looch!
He’s won the Cup!
He chose us!

With this team having returned to Cup contender status this season we need to be reminded to be humble and temper our expectations.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If the team goes 2ND Round playoffs we don't need a new Gm. The off ice team (management etc.) has improved huge over the previous group. On ice is not crap just needs some success to build on. So many kids and more to come.
Chia gambles haven't worked out so he is due for some successes.

Problem is we won't have Hitchcock next year. Hope he (Hitchcock) is training one of the assistants to take over and run the bench as he would.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wouldn't give Chia much credit for 2016/17. The success that season was all on Mcdavid and Talbot. You can't even credit Chia for the Talbot trade since it was in the works when Mac T was the GM.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wouldn't give Chia much credit for 2016/17. The success that season was all on Mcdavid and Talbot. You can't even credit Chia for the Talbot trade since it was in the works when Mac T was the GM.

Posts like this are text book irrational bias. Pure hatred devoid of any objectivity.

Our top 4 played spectacular that season making Talbot look far better than he very obviously is.

Sekera was our best defenseman followed closely by Larsson and Klefbom. Russell played very well rounding out the top 4 and our bottom pairing was a rotating group of Nurse Gyrba Davidson ect...

Indisputably Sekera and Larsson had monster years, 2/3rds of our top 3. Russell was a solid #4. Gryba didn't suck that year. That's 4 defense that Chiarelli brought in to take us on a very good playoff run.

Only someone with little to no hockey sense can say that Chiarelli had little to do with the 2016-2017 season.

Our defense went from worst in the league to second round of the playoffs level. Almost completely Chiarelli.

I will point out he signed Klefbom in that group to an extremely team friendly contract. Has correctly identified Nurse and paid him correctly as well. His success on the blueline is very good.

He did bring in Talbot. Give credit where credit is due. He brought in Koskinen. Even Nielson is a quality nhl goalie.

He did bring in Maroon that year as well who was outstanding for us.

Lucic that first year did play well.

Kassian as well.

Letestu as well.

Chiarelli was nominated for GM of the year and it was legitimately deserved.

People have either short or bad memories. Chiarelli was universally lauded by hockey pundits by the end of that year.

Has since fallen and no less deservedly so.

But saying the 2016-2017 was just Talbot and McDavid is ignorant or just BS.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
To be fair, most of us were strokin it when we signed Lucic, thinking he was going to be on the 1st line with Connor.

He visited our arena!
Connor asked to sign Looch!
He’s won the Cup!
He chose us!

With this team having returned to Cup contender status this season we need to be reminded to be humble and temper our expectations.

Speak for yourself. Not for the price and who he was replacing

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Posts like this are text book irrational bias. Pure hatred devoid of any objectivity.

Our top 4 played spectacular that season making Talbot look far better than he very obviously is.

Sekera was our best defenseman followed closely by Larsson and Klefbom. Russell played very well rounding out the top 4 and our bottom pairing was a rotating group of Nurse Gyrba Davidson ect...

Indisputably Sekera and Larsson had monster years, 2/3rds of our top 3. Russell was a solid #4. Gryba didn't suck that year. That's 4 defense that Chiarelli brought in to take us on a very good playoff run.

Only someone with little to no hockey sense can say that Chiarelli had little to do with the 2016-2017 season.

Our defense went from worst in the league to second round of the playoffs level. Almost completely Chiarelli.

I will point out he signed Klefbom in that group to an extremely team friendly contract. Has correctly identified Nurse and paid him correctly as well. His success on the blueline is very good.

He did bring in Talbot. Give credit where credit is due. He brought in Koskinen. Even Nielson is a quality nhl goalie.

He did bring in Maroon that year as well who was outstanding for us.

Lucic that first year did play well.

Kassian as well.

Letestu as well.

Chiarelli was nominated for GM of the year and it was legitimately deserved.

People have either short or bad memories. Chiarelli was universally lauded by hockey pundits by the end of that year.

Has since fallen and no less deservedly so.

But saying the 2016-2017 was just Talbot and McDavid is ignorant or just BS.

You put 2017/18 Talbot on that team and we miss the playoffs. It doesn't matter how solid the defence is when your goalie is letting in goals from center ice and behind the redline or failing to make routine saves. I believe we've had a good team the past 3 years with goaltending letting us down last season. You can defend Chia all you want but this is the GM that inherited the golden ticket of GM jobs and found a way to turn what could have been a future dynasty into a bubble team for the foreseeable future.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It’s obvious that we have a good chance at the Cup this year, I think even if we win it Chias done, there’s just been too many little signs from management, middle management, upper management, vice chairman, chairmen, CEO and ownership that they have lost faith in Chia. He’s riding on borrowed time.

I do think it would be nice for Chia to get to experience winning the cup one more time before the boot, I do appreciate he’s made some good moves such as getting Talbot, Kass and Kosko and McDavid and Drai were both genius franchise transforming picks that look great in hindsight.
Wow. Lets be honest here. Hitch is doing a great job and we are back to being a playoff contender, but we are nowhere near deep enough to really be a cup contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->