Finnish Prospect Update Thread

Noma

Is Severi Lahtinen any good?

I very highly skilled guy with tricks and dangles for every situation. "An artist" who can be invisible for 55 minutes and then suddenly score two highlight reel goals in back-to-back shifts. He sees the game very well, gives good passes and can anticipate the game at a high level.

The downside is, he tends to vanish for lenghty periods in games and also appears to be a bit lazy when defending.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I very highly skilled guy with tricks and dangles for every situation. "An artist" who can be invisible for 55 minutes and then suddenly score two highlight reel goals in back-to-back shifts. He sees the game very well, gives good passes and can anticipate the game at a high level.

The downside is, he tends to vanish for lenghty periods in games and also appears to be a bit lazy when defending.
Kiitos paljon.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone have any insight on Ville Ottavainen?

I have season seats to the Kitchener Rangers and we took him in the import draft. Still don't know if he will make the journey over to the O, but we do have a team on the rise and a great D-core for him to come into.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

I have season seats to the Kitchener Rangers and we took him in the import draft. Still don't know if he will make the journey over to the O, but we do have a team on the rise and a great D-core for him to come into.

No idea where Ottavainen will play next season ( 2019-2020 ).
Whole Finland is enjoying their summer vacations right now so nothing official isn't yet announced.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

No idea where Ottavainen will play next season ( 2019-2020 ).
Whole Finland is enjoying their summer vacations right now so nothing official isn't yet announced.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
hi, not sure thats the thread to post this but i would like to know everyone's thoughts on ville heinola and lassi thomson. In my keepers league i'm thinking of drafting one or both of them ?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
hi, not sure thats the thread to post this but i would like to know everyone's thoughts on ville heinola and lassi thomson. In my keepers league i'm thinking of drafting one or both of them ?
I think they both are VERY talented. But most probably both will still play next season in Liiga. At least I have understood that it is practically sure already that Thomson will play for Ilves (Tampere) next season.

Both of them have good potential to be even top pair defencemen in the future. Thomson is physically more ready than Heinola, but Heinola has probably a tad better hockey IQ (Thomson’s hockey IQ is good too though). Both seem to have great skills, most of the tools and even a good toolbox to become very good or even elite defencemen, in the best case scenario.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Some great Finnish talent on display in the world junior showcase series this weekend, they were on HockeyTV. I mostly watched the american guys but I thought Sampo Ranta and Eemil Erholtz showed well

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I know everyone's attention was focused on the draft eligible players at the Hlinka, but did anyone see yesterday's Kalpa-Jukurit preseason game? Late round picks Henri Nikkanen and Leevi Aaltonen played, with the former centering Jukurit's second line and the latter playing wing on Kalpa's fourth line. Joni Ikonen did not play. Is he injured again?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Both are studs. I haven't seen much Heinola. But Lassi Thomson... Man that guy can skate, dangle and shoot! He looks like he could be another Klingberg. The guy has great potential and oozes skill and IQ in the offensive zone. He got alot of praise from camp this summer too.

Reactions: Oral64

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So Aron Kiviharju won the C1 Pitsiturnaus scoring title as a double underager defenseman with 10 points in 5 games. And his team won the tournament. It's interesting how he consistently as a D outscores all the forwards on his team.

Also, Max Kaituri, a D who was selected to the Finnish u16 national team, plays on the same team - Kaituri had 2 points in 4 games. Robin Keihäs, a forward who also was selected to the u16 national team and who also plays on the same team scored 6 points in 4 games.

Tilastot - Pojat-04 Kilpa | C1 Pitsiturnaus 2019 | Rauman Lukko C1 -04 | GameResultsOnline.com

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
So Aron Kiviharju won the C1 Pitsiturnaus scoring title as a double underager defenseman with 10 points in 5 games. And his team won the tournament. It's interesting how he consistently as a D outscores all the forwards on his team.

Also, Max Kaituri, a D who was selected to the Finnish u16 national team, plays on the same team - Kaituri had 2 points in 4 games. Robin Keihäs, a forward who also was selected to the u16 national team and who also plays on the same team scored 6 points in 4 games.

Tilastot - Pojat-04 Kilpa | C1 Pitsiturnaus 2019 | Rauman Lukko C1 -04 | GameResultsOnline.com
Are there other pre-season tournaments like this going on right now? I ask because 4 of the 5 teams in that tourney are from the west coast of Finland, so I was wondering if it was a regional thing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Reactions: LoveHateLeafs

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
So Oskari Vuorio(one of the better-performing 2004's in C-juniors last year) has left Finland to play for Selects Hockey Academy, which is somehow affiliated with the South Kent School in the US(fees $60 000+/year for international students). I assume athletes have to pay extra fees on top of this. Seems like an odd move. The Espoo Blues have developed some good players over the years. Speaking of which, what's the story with their A-juniors being called K-Espoo this year? I thought that was a different club.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
So Oskari Vuorio(one of the better-performing 2004's in C-juniors last year) has left Finland to play for Selects Hockey Academy, which is somehow affiliated with the South Kent School in the US(fees $60 000+/year for international students). I assume athletes have to pay extra fees on top of this. Seems like an odd move. The Espoo Blues have developed some good players over the years. Speaking of which, what's the story with their A-juniors being called K-Espoo this year? I thought that was a different club.

Blues didn't have any money to continue, K-Espoo is s Suomi Sarja(3rd tier pro) team that took over paying the costs of the A junior team.

Reactions: LoveHateLeafs

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Where can I find live scores and stats for Finnish junior leagues, U16, U18 and U20? I want to follow three Slovak prospects (Sisik, Slafkovsky and Knazko). I tried looking it up, but couldn’t really find anything I could understand lol

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Where can I find live scores and stats for Finnish junior leagues, U16, U18 and U20? I want to follow three Slovak prospects (Sisik, Slafkovsky and Knazko). I tried looking it up, but couldn’t really find anything I could understand lol

Etusivu

It's quite hard to use if you don't understand Finnish.

You can also search by player name, here Etsi

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Anyone got thoughts on 2022 draft eligible Otto Hokkanen? Was very impressed by him in U16 National team matches few weeks back and then he went on and scored 12 points in 3 Jr. C matches for Saipa/Ketterä. A tall and lanky guy with really good skating and mobility and soft danglers mittens. Already got 2 super forwards in Lambert and Kemell I believe this could be 3rd forward in the mix.

Reactions: Ippenator

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
2002 born defenceman Topi Niemelä made his first goal today by assist of Jussi Jokinen at his first Liiga game.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Here is Niemeläs goal:

Was a winning goal of the game.

I have to ad that Justus Annunen was goalkeeper of Kärpät on this game. His third Liiga game and first win.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Aron Kiviharju 4 point game in C-juniors and now 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points in 6 games.

Was especially cool to see how he ran the power play completely differently from usual when the opposing team was cheating towards Santeri Sulku way too hard(Sulku's way too good for C-juniors and had 9 points in 2 games this weekend).

Reactions: Svedu

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pens 7th rounder Valterri Puustinen off and running (2 G, 5 A) in his first 5 games. Legit player or just a hot start? Know little about him.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Im Following all Kalpas games basically.. Leevi Aaltonen (-01)is good. Skating seems to be his strenght and he is extremely fast and good skater already now, heads above most Liiga players. He has already a tad better skating than Alexandre Texier had.

Also Kim Nousiainen (-00) seems to be good. Also very good skater. Was a force in mestis last year already, but now does well in Liiga. Some times he tries even too much and too hard things, he can improve by simplyfying his game a little.

Both players are smallish, but their skating is extremely good, so potentional NHLers at this point they legitly are. if they can take few steps and be really dominant in Liiga, then id say they are almost sure NHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad