Finnish Prospect Update Thread

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Does anyone know why 2003-born forward Samu Salminen has recently been demoted from A-juniors to B-juniors? He has the second-highest points/game on his A-juniors team and this probably underestimates the rate at which he produced, since he's only averaged ~13 minutes of ice time per game.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Does anyone know why 2003-born forward Samu Salminen has recently been demoted from A-juniors to B-juniors? He has the second-highest points/game on his A-juniors team and this probably underestimates the rate at which he produced, since he's only averaged ~13 minutes of ice time per game.

A-juniors were on roadtrip in Oulu today, so it probably has something to do with that. The game that Salminen played in B-juniors was in Helsinki.

My very educated guess is that the u17 national team that Samu is on, will fly to Canada the next day and there for it was wiser for him to play one lower tier game, than fly from Oulu.

It was likely his last game ever in B-juniors, no need to worry.

Reactions: LoveHateLeafs

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
It probably escaped a lot of people's notice this weekend with the World Under-17's starting up and Kiviharju breaking Granlund's C-juniors qualifier-stage points record, but 2005-born forward Jesse Nurmi(KooKoo) made his debut in the B-juniors qualifications in games against Kalpa and Karpat this past weekend(respectively the #3 and #1-ranked B-juniors teams), scoring two points in each game(1G, 2 primary assists, 1 secondary assist, with 2 assists coming on the PP). The list of players who have played >= 20 games at that level at that age is pretty short, and is dominated by players who I recall as being quite big for their age. Since Nurmi's C-juniors team is abysmal this year, I wonder if he might stay in B-juniors for the rest of the season.

Can anyone offer a scouting report on the kid?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Jesse Nurmi's probably the best 2005-born forward for Finland, or at least he's been considered such for at least a year. Don't really have a scouting report to give, unfortunately. But I remember I found him impressive in WSI u14. Seems to have higher hockey IQ than Emil Kuusla, another top 2005 forward. That's a very small sample size-based observation, though.

Regardless, it's really impressive he's managed to do such a thing in B-juniors. Lately, the best performance there is Joakim Kemell's 10 points in 19 games, and he's a top Finnish forward prospect for the 2004 age group. We'll need to wait and see what happens. However, we also need to keep in mind the sample sizes, for instance Emil Järventie had a very strong period last season during which he had some amazing scoring in C-juniors, but this season he's really not progressed as one might then have expected, and the last season shall likely be considered just a fluke for him. Hopefully that won't be the case with Nurmi.

And yeah, Kiviharju now has scored 29 points in 19 games. #2 on his team in scoring, #5 in the division.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Anyone have any thoughts on Joni Jurmo? His numbers are decent, he has size, and HockeyProspect.com raves about his speed. Yet I haven't read anything about him.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Jesse Nurmi's probably the best 2005-born forward for Finland, or at least he's been considered such for at least a year. Don't really have a scouting report to give, unfortunately. But I remember I found him impressive in WSI u14. Seems to have higher hockey IQ than Emil Kuusla, another top 2005 forward. That's a very small sample size-based observation, though.

Regardless, it's really impressive he's managed to do such a thing in B-juniors. Lately, the best performance there is Joakim Kemell's 10 points in 19 games, and he's a top Finnish forward prospect for the 2004 age group. We'll need to wait and see what happens. However, we also need to keep in mind the sample sizes, for instance Emil Järventie had a very strong period last season during which he had some amazing scoring in C-juniors, but this season he's really not progressed as one might then have expected, and the last season shall likely be considered just a fluke for him. Hopefully that won't be the case with Nurmi.

And yeah, Kiviharju now has scored 29 points in 19 games. #2 on his team in scoring, #5 in the division.
I just can't help but think that his time may be wasted in C-juniors(or at least on his current C-juniors team). In 19 games, KooKoo has a goal differential of -112. None of the other 19 teams in the C-juniors qualification has a goal differential worse than -55. Nurmi has scored or assisted on just over half of their goals. KooKoo's B-juniors team will almost certainly find itself in the lower part of the top B-juniors league, but maybe that would be a happy medium for a player like Nurmi. Receiving that kind of shellacking game in, game out must wear on the soul of a competitive athlete.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I just can't help but think that his time may be wasted in C-juniors(or at least on his current C-juniors team). In 19 games, KooKoo has a goal differential of -112. None of the other 19 teams in the C-juniors qualification has a goal differential worse than -55. Nurmi has scored or assisted on just over half of their goals. KooKoo's B-juniors team will almost certainly find itself in the lower part of the top B-juniors league, but maybe that would be a happy medium for a player like Nurmi. Receiving that kind of shellacking game in, game out must wear on the soul of a competitive athlete.
It must take its toll for sure, KooKoo have allowed over 8 goals per game on average, it's pretty ridiculous. And it indeed makes it all the more impressive how much Nurmi's managed to accomplish there with everything considered. You just wonder how his scoring would look like if he was playing for even a halfway decent team.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Does anyone know about 2001 born 6 foot 6 / 210 lbs LD Anton Heikari? is he any good prospect, or is he just a nobody?
has played for Wyoming Seminary Prep, USHS-Prep and in the Beast Tournament Series

2017-2018: Karhu-Kissat U17: 9+14=23 (33 games)
2018-2019: Wyoming Seminary Prep: 3+7=10 +15 (17 games)
2019-2020: Neponset Valley River Rats: 3+5=8 (11 games)

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Since moving up to KooKoo's B-juniors team, 2005-born winger Jesse Nurmi has scored 10 points in 8 games. In those games, his team has only scored 13 goals.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Since moving up to KooKoo's B-juniors team, 2005-born winger Jesse Nurmi has scored 10 points in 8 games. In those games, his team has only scored 13 goals.
Man, KooKoo's teams seem to suck at every level. He might be putting up truly historic numbers if he played on a half decent team.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Man, KooKoo's teams seem to suck at every level. He might be putting up truly historic numbers if he played on a half decent team.
At every level? What the hell are you talking about? Their men’s team has been really strong this season. So your claim isn’t really true.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
At every level? What the hell are you talking about? Their men’s team has been really strong this season. So your claim isn’t really true.
Oh sorry, I was talking about juniors. Liiga teams are an entirely different entity. (And being 8th out of 15 isn't that amazing).

Reactions: OKR

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Oh sorry, I was talking about juniors. Liiga teams are an entirely different entity. (And being 8th out of 15 isn't that amazing).
Well, they are now two points away from the 6th spot with 1 game in hand compared to the two teams that are ahead of them right now. They are really far away from sucking as a team at that level. You didn’t exclude the men’s team in your original post, so it was definitely a rightful correction on your post.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, they are now two points away from the 6th spot with 1 game in hand compared to the two teams that are ahead of them right now. They are really far away from sucking as a team at that level. You didn’t exclude the men’s team in your original post, so it was definitely a rightful correction on your post.
You asked what the hell I was talking about and I explained. You could try not being so rude.

Reactions: OKR and JabbaJabba

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Your comment was arrogant. Arrogant comments deserve nothing but blunt treatment.
Shrug, I was talking within the context of Jesse Nurmi.

It wasn't arrogant by the way, the heck? I honestly don't get your point, unless your sole purpose is attempting to pick a fight.

Reactions: OKR

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Too many foreign names on our roster for me to be comfortable. Starting to feel like we are last olynpics Korea /s
Wait what?

We have plenty of Finnish names on the roster. And it's not like these guys parents/parent aren't Finnish and they have lived most/all of their live in Finland.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Anybody have more info on Oden? Interesting that like Lambert he has dual nationality!

American dad, Finnish mom moved to Finland when he was 12.

Don't think he has enough offensive skill for NHL. Could be a decent grinder for the national team in the future.

Telia has tons of interviews with Oden in their Red Bull series.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Too many foreign names on our roster for me to be comfortable. Starting to feel like we are last olynpics Korea /s
Awful comment. Guys that were born in Finland or have lived long enough in Finland to have the Finnish nationality officially are just as Finnish as you probably are. No one has the right to claim anything else, even if both of the parents were originally born in some other countries

Reactions: FinPanda and Svedu

AllIDoIsLie

Dec 21, 2019
See the "/s" at the end? It was a poor attempt on sarcasm in a drunken state. I'm sorry, felt fun at the moment.

Awful comment. Guys that were born in Finland or have lived long enough in Finland to have the Finnish nationality officially are just as Finnish as you probably are. No one has the right to claim anything else, even if both of the parents were originally born in some other countries

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Can someone offer some reports on Roby Jarventie's recent play? He's now over a point per game in the Mestis, after 21 games. Looking through the game sheets, he seems to get a lot of high-danger shots, despite getting relatively little ice-time. Patrik Puistola put up similar numbers in the same league last season, got drafted in the third last year and has looked pretty good at the World Juniors.

The reason I ask, is that I've only seen Jarventie play at last year's U17's and this year's Hlinka. In both cases he looked awful. He seemed to have the hockey sense of a turnip. Is he just a player who doesn't do well in chaotic, short junior tournaments?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->