Finnish Prospect Update Thread

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How do you see Lankinen right now? I don't know how to evaluate him skills wise, but obviously he carried responsibility very well in the WHC.

Obviously was heralded as a young player coming through Jokerit system and playing for the National team as well. Went abit under the radar due to Saros being the top 95 goalie but established himself in Liiga very well. Seems to have solid fundamentals and played really well at the WC, bit of concern is the low amount of club team games he has played over the last few years .

Hard to tell if a goalie who saw ECHL time and less than 20 AHL games is NHL ready but I think he can definitely get ssome NHL games from callups next season or start right away as a backup with Cam Ward leaving. Best case for him would be similar to Jack Campbell, Georgiev, Hart where he starts in the AHL and gets NHL significant games due to an injury or stellar performances on his part.

Reactions: Stubu

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, I come and read this uknown thread to me sitting in a stained worn out arm-chair at the summer cottage feeling like an overpaid, fat and respected resigned arm-chair general, colonel or writer on vacation at Bahamas drinking ice tea, mojitos and daiquiri like the refugee of Key West, Old Brute, Papa, the man with a pen and gun plus some rum and gin to soothe and smooth it out, the last bitter years of solitude. And so many interesting names flickering promise, vigour, will and youth popping up from these pages on my cataract ridden eyes and they all designate separate souls each full of life eager for reaching for the glory as I did once. I praise them all now sitting here in the captivity of my old declining body and the rocking chair gently weeps in the breeze on the veranda when I listen silently as if a n ancestral ghost was singing a lullabye and inviting me to join him in the eternal bliss of the waves and deep sea...

Thank you for these refreshing visions, guys. I go now and snatch my shotgun, lines and hooks and compass and go to plow the sea...

One question though before I get up my back aching and go like Quasimodo: Is this Brad Lambert a real deal? Or just some hot air, buzz and hype? : O

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaska

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So, I come and read this uknown thread to me sitting in a stained worn out arm-chair at the summer cottage feeling like an overpaid, fat and respected resigned arm-chair general, colonel or writer on vacation at Bahamas drinking ice tea, mojitos and daiquiri like the refugee of Key West, Old Brute, Papa, the man with a pen and gun plus some rum and gin to smooth it out, the last bitter years of solitude. And so many interesting names flickering promise, vigour, will and youth popping up from these pages on my cataract ridden eyes and they all designate separate souls each full of life eager for reaching for the glory as I did once. I praise them all now sitting here in the captivity of my old declining body and the rocking chair gently weeps in the breeze on the veranda when I listen silently as if a n ancestral ghost was singing a lullabye and inviting me to join him in the eternal bliss of the waves and deep sea...

Thank you for these refreshing visions, guys. I go now and snatch my shotgun, lines and hooks and compass and go to plow the sea...

One question though before I get up my back aching and go like Quasimodo: Is this Brad Lambert a real deal? Or just some hot air, buzz and hype? : O
He totally is a real deal.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Better than Kakko. HIFK U20 team yeah, maybe Liiga minutes.

"Better than Kakko" heheh, sounds pretty overblown... Okay, come September I must go and have a look at this prodigy wonder kid to make my own assessment about all the buzz

ijuka

May 14, 2016
"Better than Kakko" heheh, sounds pretty overblown... Okay, come September I must go and have a look at this prodigy wonder kid to make my own assessment about all the buzz
Brad Lambert being better than Kakko isn't really overblown... Of course, many things can change and it remains to be seen how he develops but at this age, it's really no contest.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Cases like Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson and Jesse Puljujärvi have taught us that excellent early results and showings are sometimes misleading. The surrounding environment in junior hockey is more forgiving and less competitive, so the possible shortcomings aren’t always that evident at first glance.

In my early viewings Lambert has made some less than stellar decisions with the puck which have resulted in turnovers or dead ends. Some nights were noticeably better than others, but at its worst this clearly hurt his game. This is just my personal observation and I’m not making any major conclusions from it, just something I’m going to keep an eye on heading to next season.

Guys like Barkov, Rantanen and Kakko are strong on the puck, unrattled under pressure, and excellent in tight and along the boards. That’s a big reason why they are so successful. Lambert has size, speed and skill, but as it stands his possession game is still very much a work in progress when you compare it to the above three.

Anyways, I don’t think Kakko is the right comparison for Lambert. Stylistically he’s a bigger, better skating version of Joonas Donskoi with a pinch something else for condiment. He looks like a potential top-5 pick right now, but nothing is set in stone, far from it actually. Three years is a long time in a life of a prospect, and he needs to prove himself again and again to stay in contention.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
It is not overblown at all.

I think it's completely overblown. Kakko has won 3 golds and he has shown that he can consistently dominate vs men. Untill i see Lambert doing remotely as good as Kakko in the future i would'nt say he's better lol. He is legit though.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Cases like Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson and Jesse Puljujärvi have taught us that excellent early results and showings are sometimes misleading. The surrounding environment in junior hockey is more forgiving and less competitive, so the possible shortcomings aren’t always that evident at first glance.

In my early viewings Lambert has made some less than stellar decisions with the puck which have resulted in turnovers or dead ends. Some nights were noticeably better than others, but at its worst this clearly hurt his game. This is just my personal observation and I’m not making any major conclusions from it, just something I’m going to keep an eye on heading to next season.

Guys like Barkov, Rantanen and Kakko are strong on the puck, unrattled under pressure, and excellent in tight and along the boards. That’s a big reason why they are so successful. Lambert has size, speed and skill, but as it stands his possession game is still very much a work in progress when you compare it to the above three.

Anyways, I don’t think Kakko is the right comparison for Lambert. Stylistically he’s a bigger, better skating version of Joonas Donskoi with a pinch something else for condiment. He looks like a potential top-5 pick right now, but nothing is set in stone, far from it actually. Three years is a long time in a life of a prospect, and he needs to prove himself again and again to stay in contention.

Exactly.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

What are your thoughts on Aaty Raty, Samu Tuomaala, and Samu Salminen?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Brad Lambert being better than Kakko isn't really overblown... Of course, many things can change and it remains to be seen how he develops but at this age, it's really no contest.

Saying it is really no contest at this age is a strong statement, if we forget the big if "at this age": I read, think and read again: REALLY NO CONTEST!?! Really. And Kaklo is a HUGE prospect, as huge as jack hughes. So., you are implying there is silently developing a generational talent in the Finnish junior system we have never come across until now, better than Comnor McDavid who could at best be his henchman, or maybe gear carrier. -No contest!?!

But the big IF: At this age. - Kakko has developed since "that age" like a rocket, leaving all other Finnish propsects gasping dust on his trail...Brad "no contest" Lambert has a long way to go to contest the "Finnish Forsberg"... A LONG way.

But reading these comments do make me curious if not salivating. This kid should get his "first fire" in Luga before the Xmas break if he is THAT GOOD and promising.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Saying it is really no contest at this age is a strong statement, if we forget the big if "at this age": I read, think and read again: REALLY NO CONTEST!?! Really. And Kaklo is a HUGE prospect, as huge as jack hughes. So., you are implying there is silently developing a generational talent in the Finnish junior system we have never come across until now, better than Comnor McDavid who could at best be his henchman, or maybe gear carrier. -No contest!?!

But the big IF: At this age. - Kakko has developed since "that age" like a rocket, leaving all other Finnish propsects gasping dust on his trail...Brad "no contest" Lambert has a long way to go to contest the "Finnish Forsberg"... A LONG way.

But reading these comments do make me curious if not salivating. This kid should get his "first fire" in Luga before the Xmas break if he is THAT GOOD and promising.

The only fair way you can evaluate prospects is comparing them at the same age. In that regard Lambert certainly has an edge to Kakko and he has clearly separated himself against the rest of the peers with his skill set and skating. Is it far fetched to suggest he could turn out even better than Kakko? No. Still I would say the likelihood to reach the same level as Kakko is today by the end of the 2021-22 is less than 50/50. No matter how highly regarded Kakko is right now, he's still just a lanky kid who has tons of room to build up his strength (and skating) even further. I don't think many realise the absolute potential there and if all goes according to plan, he could be one of the best players in the world once all is said and done. Lambert has long way to go here, but all I can say right now is that he's extremely gifted and has potential to rival any young drafted or undrafted Finn. Kärpät and HIFK (who signed him) must have had a heck of a battle for his rights and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him make an entrance to FEL as soon as next season.

With that said, Puistola is intriguing case who's flown under my radar even though he's playing in a team that's in the same city where I live. I didn't follow up on Mestis hardly at all this year and this was the first time I missed almost the entire WJHC U18 tournament, so I barely got a glimpse at him. The earlier provided link (Top 25 Finnish Prospects for the 2019 NHL Draft) was an eye-opener. His season in the second highest hockey level in the country couldn't have been much better. 15 goals in 22 games is astounding for a 17-18 year who was playing against men. Much like Pettersson who didn't get the recognition he deserved due to not playing @ SEL in his draft year (of course not saying Puistola will be anywhere as good). Got a feeling we'll hear more about this kid in the future.

Reactions: Loffer

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Magnus Paajaervi-Svensson and Jesse Puljujaervi. Well, well, well... lol. - Well, they have some interesting similarities, no denying - like being both P-jaervis, i.e. P-lakes (from the North?) and drafted by the Oilers. Bad luck, bad scouting and or bad prospect development by the Alberta based juggernaut we all came to know and love in the good ol times of Gretzky, Coffey and Jarry Curry with the last one's signature hunchback skating style and quick release top-shelf. Well, let's not get digressed here more than appropriate - and we must thank the Oilers and Curry for saving Jokerit from turning to a Russian commodity along the Hartwall Avenue. Thank you.

There was a time Mr. Curry played in Madison Square Garden during his late career and was shouted at to get a wheel chair by some schmuck in the crowd. .Curry might have looked like in the need of urgent medical relief in his back issue but that was rather a false impression, an illusion of his old man posture and Jarry was fine and well. And still lethal on the high slot once in a while.

But the P-lakes and the sad drafting history of the Oilers as of late... What can we make of that? For example these things flow into my liquid kind of mind right now: Not everything that shines is gold. Not all fast and big forward prospects will pan out, not in Edmonton, at least. Not all 1st OA picks are safe bets. Anything can happen before a prospect will be a celebrated hero of a franchise whose name fans cry in one mouth, if you can put it that way in English, and whose jerseys will be sold out in a heart beat like they were some invaluable rarity which they are not since every other guy wears it by the end of the game one. (Yes, even before the kid is a proven hack of the bottom 6)

What did we get out of this tangled series of serious considerations? - Brad Lambert, don't tell me now that, actually, he is Adam Lambert's step brother and, now that you asked, Christopher Lambert is his uncle. And a few years from now he will be an Oiler. Maybe even the 1st overall pick...?

I will go and check if this Lambert kid is a one trick pony or if he has even a couple of tricks in his sleeves. Plus, without doubt, the stature, looks, confidence, and wheels.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Is it so strange? Lambert at 2 months older than Kakko played at u-20s while Kakko played that season at u-16s. The next season Kakko got only 10 games at u-20s, but already comparatively was 10 months older than Lambert. Lambert's international scoring at both u-16s and u-17s was significantly higher, again while 10 months younger. As for the future, I can't really know how Lambert will do in the next few seasons so it's tough to say Kakko's more impressive there. That remains to be seen.

Lambert's not generational I don't think. But he's probably better than people think, especially when we get to the attributes.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
What are your thoughts on Aaty Raty, Samu Tuomaala, and Samu Salminen?
Räty seems to be a high-end prospect with very good vision and puck skills. It may take some time before we see him at his best, but I think he has a higher offensive ceiling than Lundell for example.

Tuomaala and Salminen have only played in Jr.B and U16 national team thus far, so it’s probably too early to make big conclusions about them. Tuomaala seems to be a slick and skilled sniper with a good wrist shot. He’s smallish, soft and perhaps a bit one dimensional at present. Salminen reads the play well and has a good frame. Plus puck skills but nothing flashy it seems and skating looks a bit clunky.

With that said, Puistola is intriguing case who's flown under my radar even though he's playing in a team that's in the same city where I live. I didn't follow up on Mestis hardly at all this year and this was the first time I missed almost the entire WJHC U18 tournament, so I barely got a glimpse at him. The earlier provided link (Top 25 Finnish Prospects for the 2019 NHL Draft) was an eye-opener. His season in the second highest hockey level in the country couldn't have been much better. 15 goals in 22 games is astounding for a 17-18 year who was playing against men. Much like Pettersson who didn't get the recognition he deserved due to not playing @ SEL in his draft year (of course not saying Puistola will be anywhere as good). Got a feeling we'll hear more about this kid in the future.
In my eyes Puistola is a mediocre skater with some balance issues. I’d also like to see a scorer like him have a better shot since it’s one of the main tools of his trade. Should develop into a good player for European rinks, but he might be overrated as a NHL prospect.

Lambert's not generational I don't think. But he's probably better than people think, especially when we get to the attributes.
I have a feeling that Lambert isn’t quite as unique as some people make him out to be. Admittedly they were born earlier in the year, but I think that Laine and Puljujärvi looked more impressive during 2013-14 season as C1 aged players than what Lambert did this season. And even though Lambert played in Jr.A, it wasn’t always that pretty, especially during the play-offs when he wasn’t much more than a passenger.

Generational talent would probably impress continuously in most areas of the game and be a highly dominant force on the ice. I didn’t get that feeling when watching Lambert this season in Jr.A or U16/U17 national team.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I have a feeling that Lambert isn’t quite as unique as some people make him out to be. Admittedly they were born earlier in the year, but I think that Laine and Puljujärvi looked more impressive during 2013-14 season as C1 aged players than what Lambert did this season. And even though Lambert played in Jr.A, it wasn’t always that pretty, especially during the play-offs when he wasn’t much more than a passenger.
Looked more impressive in a sense, but by attributes I mean that Lambert's skating and stickhandling are both much better than either's. I also wouldn't brush aside the age difference just like that. Comparing Lambert's season to Laine's previous season would have them closer in age, for example, and at that age Laine was in Bs.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
All in all I infer this Lambert dude is a pretty one-dimensional prospect with a run & gun hockey outlook. While I cannot disagree the traditional Canadian north-south oriented straight-forward approach to the game has its appeal and application - this type players stand out in the junior ranks much more than when entering the full maturity competing with grown-up men with all the physicality needed to neutralize too enthusiastic and energetic ADHD-kids with a tunnel-vision. Yes, I am just "inferring" here using hyperbole to illustrate the issue. Speed and dangles will get you only that far and then there will be a rock wall blocking your way.

The final verdict with a provision: Not even close to Kakko's level - until proven otherwise in the Liiga and at the WHC level.

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Almost time for draft, whats peoples rankings for this draft or the next 3. Below my top10s. I personally think the defensman trio of Tuomisto, Honka, Kokkonen are all way way overrated

1. Kaapo Kakko
2. Ville Heinola
3. Lassi Thomson
4. Henri Nikkanen
5. Patrik Puistola
6. Santeri Hatakka
7. Matias Maccelli
8. Aku Räty
9. Filip Lindberg
10. Tuukka Tieksola
HM. Juuso Pärssinen
HM. Leevi Aaltonen

1. Anton Lundell
2. Topi Niemelä
3. Kasper Puutio
4. Kasper Simontaival
5. Roni Hirvonen
6. Joel Blomqvist
7. Christoffer Sedoff
8. Eemil Viro
9. Oliver Suni
10. Veeti Miettinen
HM. Roby Järventie
HM. Ruben Rafkin

1. Aatu Räty
2. Samu Tuomaala
3. Samu Salminen
4. Viljami Juusola
5. Verner Miettinen
6. Niko Huuhtanen
7. Eero Niemi
8. Jere Virolainen
9. Aleksi Malinen
10. Viljam Sandvik
HM. Kalle Ervasti
HM. Atte Lehikoinen

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda and Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Almost time for draft, whats peoples rankings for this draft or the next 3. Below my top10s. I personally think the defensman trio of Tuomisto, Honka, Kokkonen are all way way overrated

1. Kaapo Kakko
2. Ville Heinola
3. Lassi Thomson
4. Henri Nikkanen
5. Patrik Puistola
6. Santeri Hatakka
7. Matias Maccelli
8. Aku Räty
9. Filip Lindberg
10. Tuukka Tieksola
HM. Juuso Pärssinen

1. Anton Lundell
2. Topi Niemelä
3. Kasper Puutio
4. Kasper Simontaival
5. Roni Hirvonen
6. Joel Blomqvist
7. Christoffer Sedoff
8. Eemil Viro
9. Oliver Suni
10. Veeti Miettinen
HM. Roby Järventie
HM. Ruben Rafkin

1. Aatu Räty
2. Samu Tuomaala
3. Samu Salminen
4. Viljami Juusola
5. Verner Miettinen
6. Niko Huuhtanen
7. Eero Niemi
8. Jere Virolainen
9. Aleksi Malinen
10. Viljam Sandvik
HM. Kalle Ervasti
HM. Atte Lehikoinen

That's your top 10 Finns, but what's your top 10 overall? (Not trolling, just asking. I'm not trolling. Life is too short.)

Reactions: blindpass

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Overrated or not, it's pretty insane to not have them in top 10 or even as honorable mentions, even if you're not a fan. Kokkonen played the whole season in Liiga in a significant role, that's more than many of those players will accomplish in 2, 3 years.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Looked more impressive in a sense, but by attributes I mean that Lambert's skating and stickhandling are both much better than either's. I also wouldn't brush aside the age difference just like that. Comparing Lambert's season to Laine's previous season would have them closer in age, for example, and at that age Laine was in Bs.

Laine has excellent hand-eye coordination, the best shot I’ve seen from any Finnish prospect and he was an impressive and effective dangler while still playing in Finland. Personally, I’d give a C1 aged Laine an edge over Lambert in this segment of the game. Lambert has a clear advantage over Laine in skating, I can agree on to that.

Puljujärvi was a highly dynamic prospect for his size and could play skilled hockey at top speed. I don’t think you are giving a C1 aged Puljujärvi the credit he deserves by saying that Lambert’s skating and stickhandling are much better.

NHL is full of players who have very good puck skills and skate like the wind, so small differences in these aspects of the game aren’t necessarily the decisive factor. Especially since hockey players have dozens of attributes which impact their performance on the ice.

Player’s ability to quickly and accurately perceive what’s happening on the ice around him, anticipate where everything is heading to and then make a decision that helps his team the most are crucial for success. For me it would be more interesting to hear how people rate Lambert in this segment of the game, since it might ultimately be the thing that determines how successful he is at the highest level. Would you say he’s good, very good or elite in this aspect?

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Does anyone know why 2003-born forward Jeremi Tammela isn't on the recently released Finnish U17 roster, even though his B-junior numbers seem to be better than almost every forward on that roster? A number of the players on the list didn't even play B-juniors last season. Also, his points per game on B-junior Kalpa last season was 0.25 pts/gm higher than his next closest teammate, so it's not like he was riding the coattails of much better older players.

He only seems to have played 4 U16 national team games last season, where he put up 4 points. What gives?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad