Finnish Prospect Update Thread

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Top talents for 2026 Draft in my oppinion after Pohjola and Germany outings.

2026 Draft

C Viljo Kähkönen
C Jiko Laitinen
C Oliver Suvanto
C/W Jeremi Virtanen
W Wilmer Kallio
W Vilho Vanhatalo
W Oiva Juntunen
W Eemil Saari
W Olli Wahlroos
W Janne Karassaari
W Matias Myllyniemi
D Juho Piiparinen
D Samu Alalauri
D Nooa Järvenpää
D Eelis Uronen
D Mici Kasurinen
D Ossi Tukio
G Pyry Lammi

Rasmus Rinne has talent but I'd like to see more passion more energy more footwork from him.

Other potential ones include:
F: Otto Tukiainen, Anttoni Uronen, Milo Nuutinen, Luka Arkko, Tino Kossila, Joonas Rajala, Oliver Torkki
D: Aapo Paavilainen, Niklas Kaarto, Tarmo Kostiainen, Jonne Parkkali, Sisu Somerla, Jesse Poussa, Aapo Kurri
G: Mico Hämäläinen, Vili Varonen

Some touted ones that didn't play and getto see at camp include:
Kasper Kostjukovs, Oscar Hemming, Onni Keltikangas

Notable lateborn 2027 Draft eligibles include:
Lauri Rantanen, Rasmus Miilunpohja, Samuel Strömberg, Max Järventie but none of them are super special.

Couple clips of Kallio for anyone interested. I'll try to do 2-3 more vids

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Central Scouting rankings:
A (1st round candidate) : Helenius, Hemming, Kiviharju
B (2nd-3rd round candidate) : Muhonen, Soini, Väisänen

Vinni's stock has plummeted. Ranked as a 6th/7th round candidate.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Central Scouting rankings:
A (1st round candidate) : Helenius, Hemming, Kiviharju
B (2nd-3rd round candidate) : Muhonen, Soini, Väisänen

Vinni's stock has plummeted. Ranked as a 6th/7th round candidate.
Nothing surprise in Vinni's case.
Vinni was total sieve in U18 WJC's this year and couldn't catch nothing.
But also Rimpinen didn't impress in Hlinka Gretzky either so lets see which-one goes undrafted in 2024.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I've always felt like Vali, Vinni and Vedenpää was a bit like Saros, Husso and Lankinen. Both 95 and 2005 seem to be good years for Finnish goalie prospects.
Question is if Vali will become the better one of them.

Reactions: Erikfromfin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Erikfromfin, what do you think about Lasse Boelius?

I thought he was the best Finnish defenseman. A real PPQB and good skater too. Only 5’11, but if he can grow a little and work on his defense, he could be very good.

Reactions: Svedu

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
@Erikfromfin, what do you think about Lasse Boelius?

I thought he was the best Finnish defenseman. A real PPQB and good skater too. Only 5’11, but if he can grow a little and work on his defense, he could be very good.
Jea his right there top Finns and defenders after Kotajärvi. Boelius got late into U16NT system only last spring but has been skyrocketing since. He has good skill level can carry the puck good passer and good moves 2nd power play unit quarterback. He has much more offensive upside than Julius Saari. But I think Kotajärvi is still ahead he impacts and wants to impact game more and has even more offense and physicality and good jump on his first few step. Sadly I didnt pay 80 CAD for the tournament atleast yet so don't know how they done but Boelius right now is firmly in my top5 and even 1st to 2nd round potential if all goes well.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Last draft 15 Finns were selected. Right now I'm on 24 potential draft upside ones for 2024 draft.

2024 Draft

Goalies
1. Eemil Vinni
2. Kim Saarinen
3. Noa Vali
4. Petteri Rimpinen

Defenders
1. Aron Kiviharju
2. Veeti Väisänen
3. Jesse Pulkkinen
4. Niilopekka Muhonen
5. Sebastian Soini
6. Daniel Nieminen
7. Mitja Jokinen
8. Eelis Marila

Forwards
1. Konsta Helenius
2. Emil Hemming
3. Joona Saarelainen
4. Aatos Koivu
5. Tuomas Suoniemi
6. Julius Miettinen
7. Roope Vesterinen
8. Benjamin Rautiainen
9. Heikki Ruohonen
10. Topias Hynninen
11. Santeri Huovila
12. Kasper Pikkarainen

Close but no cigar:
Goalies: Hannikainen, Louhivaara
Defenders: Nykyri, Amhamdi, Junkkari
Forwards: Loponen, J.Keinänen, Väärälä, Sinivuori

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well hey, hey, hey, what do you say? Lambert and Tuomaala selected for the AHL all-star weekend. Imagine if their game just suits NA better? Or just some maturing going on? Whatever the reason this is so funny and exciting because not only does Tuomaala has a good shot but these both guys are probably the fastest Finnish skaters with Kapanen and god knows Leijonat will need some speed in the future.
My dream is that these guys become top6 or better so that we can have 3 superb lines in the nearest future.
I'm really impressed because these prospects were highly touted by some people and then failed badly but they didn't give up and now the trend is upwards.

Well, well, peukut pystyyn and good luck guys!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Anything new to see with Lukko's Tuukka Tieksola? He's in the last year of his ELC with Carolina.

Average numbers with Rauma. Any chance he is tendered a qualifying offer and if not would other teams be interested?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Anything new to see with Lukko's Tuukka Tieksola? He's in the last year of his ELC with Carolina.

Average numbers with Rauma. Any chance he is tendered a qualifying offer and if not would other teams be interested?
No chance.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Pretty interesting, Finland are producing quite the centers or has done so these last 10 years. We just need som D's to come through and pan out. We will be pretty stacked att RW as well.
Also I believe UPL is one of three future goalies together with Saros. Could be a bit underrated because of his stats. He needs to work on recovery, quickness and agility. But he's huge and I like that he seems compact in the net and has some rebound control. Thing is, no goalie would shine this year with the Sabres system and overall defending. Don't believe he's any worse than Hart for an example.
Blomqvist could be a soon riser.

Also, I hope both Laine and especially Robin Salo get traded. Salo is a possible D in a smaller role but he needs to get the opportunity.
Last but not least, Vaakanainen will become a good third pair D. People tend to watch too much at D's offensive ability but Vaakanainen has been a good defender ever since WJC's and seems to have bounced back after his injuries.
My point in writing this is that people tend to believe you will only win best-on-best games with flashy names at D. For every Quinn, EK65 and others, teams need someone to balance it.

Possible centers:
Barkov
Hintz
Aho
(Rantanen is able to play C as well)
Lundell
Luostarinen
Lambert
Kotkaniemi

Possible ones further down the road:
Helenius seems promising
Räty
Pärssinen
Kupari
Kuokkanen could get another look in the NHL perhaps.
Other Helenius as possible future 4th line grinder with his reach? Who knows.
Heponiemi should get another look as well. I would gladly see him and Kuokkanen get a chance with the Flyers for an example. Don't believe they lack talent compared to most players in the Flyers organization.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Next 3 drafts theres Kiviharju, Pulkkinen, Väisänen, Kotajärvi, Boelius, Piiparinen, Alalauri
and also guys like Muhonen, Soini, Saari, E.Uronen, Järvenpää lots of potential defenders coming along aswell. Also Max Syrjäläinen getting some early hype havent yet watched him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad