Finnish police suspect Jori Lehtera connected to a cocaine distribution ring

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yep, it is possible that it's just his friend's friends doing some lines at his cottage and that's it.
I think that is the most likely scenario. Lehterä might not even know what has happened, but if he has given keys to his cottage to some old friend of his who has done something with cocaine there, police will include Lehterä in their investigation. And there wont be any consequences for Lehterä if that is the case

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
They are essentially saying he's "mixed" in it and not specifying other than 'narcotics crime'. Moreover, he's notably not among the persons arrested.

He's probably but a suspected buyer/user, and the newslet that broke this out (MTV3) is using his name to market their TV report scheduled for tonight's episode of their investigative reporting show.

We as a nation are right off the news frenzy of a very popular schlager singer being in the buying end of a crystal meth scene, but from the reporting you'd think he was the biggest crook.

Good post. Also people and professional athletes in particular get caught up loaning money to friends or family which is used for these things. I don't know about the law in Finland but in the US that can be interpreted as conspiracy to distribute.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Good post. Also people and professional athletes in particular get caught up loaning money to friends or family which is used for these things. I don't know about the law in Finland but in the US that can be interpreted as conspiracy to distribute.
If the suspect isn't otherwise party to it, that would be punishable under Crime Act 50:4 as "furthering a narcotics crime by loaning money or financing", but the suspect needs to know that the money is used for that purpose for a conviction.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think that is the most likely scenario. Lehterä might not even know what has happened, but if he has given keys to his cottage to some old friend of his who has done something with cocaine there, police will include Lehterä in their investigation. And there wont be any consequences for Lehterä if that is the case

Some of those arrested are suspected distributors without a doubt to warrant for arrests and the whole works, but it's not against a law to merely associate with a person who happens to be a distributor. Obviously if your buddy loaning your cabin for a weekend has a big enough stash with himself the question if it all is for personal private use or for selling purpose will arise from that.

It will turn bad for Jori though if his own actions around the matter start ticking the boxes of any crime described in the Crime Act.

Finnish Crime Act defines a "narcotics use crime" as, among other things, being in possession of a small/negligible amount of drug for personal use. If you're in possession of more than a small amount, it legal-technically becomes a "narcotics crime", under the title of which is everything like manufacturing, importing, selling and possession, so the intention to distribute or lack of doesn't really matter as the label of the crime goes. Punishable by fine or up to two years in prison.

If there's a plenty of drugs and intent for notable economic benefit or it's particularly organized, it becomes an "aggravated narcotics crime" which is more serious business.

The seven persons still arrested are in for aggravated narcotics crime, money laundering and professional hiding of stolen (etc.) property. They report "apprehensions" have been made at the Lehtera cabin, but we don't know if those have merely been some fringe persons. Lehtera has been interrogated (and denies), so technically he can be one of those apprehended (for the interrogation) from the cabin. In Finland the police only apprehends you; the court will decide in the following couple of days if you actually become arrested. They think they got something on you if they go so far.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Correction: the rank and file policemen can only apprehend you in Finland. Police lieutenants and above can arrest you for three days. Longer than that it's a court business for a pre-trial detention in an imprisonment trial.

When apprehended without arrest warrant, the apprehension needs to be without delay brought to the attention of an arrest-competent policeman, who needs to decide within 24 hours if the apprehendee is to be arrested or released.

On the matter, apparently Lehtera wasn't among those apprehended at the cabin, but he is suspected of a "narcotics crime".

Last edited:

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Lehtera is not suspected of distribution, rather only use -which in Finland is misdemeanor. Unless he says he's bought and used notable amounts, what he'll get is a fine. If he acts dumb and talks the amounts up, or someone tells on him, just using cocaine won't get him serious charges. How Flyers react to this is another story.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lehtera is not suspected of distribution, rather only use

Did they specify this somewhere? The suspected crime label reported by MTV is one that covers everything up from more-than-negligible possession (but not to the aggravated extent).

Reactions: gwh

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If the suspect isn't otherwise party to it, that would be punishable under Crime Act 50:4 as "furthering a narcotics crime by loaning money or financing", but the suspect needs to know that the money is used for that purpose for a conviction.

Thanks.

So pretty much the same thing. The problem here is that prosecutors make deals with the actual offenders and even though the loaner might not have known anything witness testimony carries weight with jurrors.

Edit. I like the fact that this thread, for the most part, has not turned into everyone assuming he's guilty. Good job Lempo.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks.

So pretty much the same thing. The problem here is that prosecutors make deals with the actual offenders and even though the loaner might not have known anything witness testimony carries weight with jurrors.

Edit. I like the fact that this thread, for the most part, has not turned into everyone assuming he's guilty. Good job Lempo.

Plea bargaining became possible only in 2015 in Finland. I guess they're still finding their way about it. Presenting it to the big audience by using it to screw up a hockey Lion won't be an option. :)

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
It feels more like he did something minor or is guilty by association rather than Jori TurtleSkates Lehtera is some sort of international criminal mastermind or is hurting for money. I'm not sure why but I think this commercial is somehow relevant though.

Reactions: Halberdier

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Haven't followed his career much, surprised a guy with stats like his would be making nearly $5 million a season. Guess he cashed in off of one pretty good year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well I guess Jori wasn't gonna be part of speed distributing ring
As it happens, the police gave a statement to the press that they started from coke but there's also a considerable amount of doping substances and "some" amphetamine.

I guess this was the probabliest way to get those two mentioned in a same sentence.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He makes millions a year yet still wants to do something that can cost him his freedom for an extremely long time assuming this is true.

I will never understand.

Its Finland. How long can the prison sentence really be?

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Its all starting to make sense now

8W2nEpq.jpg

Jori off season picture i start to wonder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad