Finland are your world champions

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Don't worry, you'll crush us then, and we'll gladly give you that. Our football isn't going anywhere anytime soon anyway. :)

WTF? Are you serious? We will beat Sweden both in RÃ¥sunda and at the Olympic Stadium. This was just a start! :nod:

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The talk about the decline of Finnish hockey probably will quiet down.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finland will never have more than 1 or 2 superstars but they'll continue to get medals because of great team play

They have for a while but the lack of players like Granlund is what has always held them back on every level. A lot of good responsible players that play well as a team, and pretty much always have a goaltender now, but they almost always lack a true game-breaking player. You go from Selanne, to Koivu, to possibly Granlund, that's basically one for every 10 years. For this tournament, finally two of them on the same team.

dfk711*

They have for a while but the lack of players like Granlund is what has always held them back on every level. A lot of good responsible players that play well as a team, and pretty much always have a goaltender now, but they almost always lack a true game-breaking player. You go from Selanne, to Koivu, to possibly Granlund, that's basically one for every 10 years. For this tournament, finally two of them on the same team.

I just wish we could trade a few of our goalies to Russia for a couple of forwards

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Congrats, Finland. I've always had a soft spot for Finnish hockey players ever since watching Teemu tear it up for the Jets when I was a little boy. I hope this doesn't insult you guys (it's meant as a compliment) but your players remind me of Canadian hockey players more than any other nation.

Man, Edmonton needs more Fins. Hartikainen needs some of his countrymen around.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
amd_frontpage_bum.jpg

I hope no-one tries to relocate us in the near future, though.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Gratz, well deserved. Really good team.
This is all cause I wished you good luck after the game with Russia. If I hadn't done this - Sweden would won.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Finland will never have more than 1 or 2 superstars but they'll continue to get medals because of great team play

Well superstars or not but there is really solid generation coming.

The Granlund brothers
Pulkkinen (should have been in this tournament, is great allready)
Armia
Donskoi

This is a short list and is missing many of good prospects.. Like 16year old Määttä, but also more. But those guys listed are / will really soon be huge difference makers. Our future looks pretty bright now.

BTW, for finns: Here you can vote new team Sweden jersey
And here you can vote is Finland better than Sweden :laugh:

Last edited:

svea

Feb 18, 2006
I have to say it again, this team, they're absolute heroes.

The thinking in Finnish hockey, for the last 15 years since the first gold in 1995, was that we can definitely do well in the first few games, and we can quite possibly reach the finals, but no matter what, we'll always completely fold up under medal pressure and ultimately go home with our heads down. That kind of mentality had been unflinching for the last 15 years, which included losses in all four of our gold medal games in that time (not counting the Olympics nor the World Cup, which themselves hold some painful losses).

This team didn't simply break that curse in the last game; they completely and utterly ignored the way Finns are supposed to crumble down before the summit, and they maintained that pose throughout the entire tournament, not just in one game. They had everything that's good about Finnish hockey and none of the defeatism.

I don't know if it was Granlund's presence that finally inspired the rest of the guys to such un-Finnish confidence, but this really was a special team who, I think, are nothing but heroes.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/mmkiekko/leijonat-lahtivat-kotia-kohti/art-1288389471630.html

Translation from there:

The World Champions just moved to the Bratislava airport. From there they fly to Helsinki with flight number 71-64(Komarov-Granlund).
Finnish Airforce Hornets will come to parade the aircraft and secure its travel to Finland. The Champion's Jet and the Hornets are also going to fly throught Swedish air-space.
:handclap::laugh:

Hope the Hornets are going to bomb Stockholm with some Ananas, so they can use the ananas-circles to make themselfs their own "gold medals" :sarcasm: :laugh:
And who remember Torino 2006 olympic Final, also knows why im saying that ananas thing..

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The best nation at utilizing what they have.

By far.

I've grown to like....well no, accept Finns;)

Well deserved, that last period kinda made up for..

Tw149

Feb 22, 2010
I have to say it again, this team, they're absolute heroes.

The thinking in Finnish hockey, for the last 15 years since the first gold in 1995, was that we can definitely do well in the first few games, and we can quite possibly reach the finals, but no matter what, we'll always completely fold up under medal pressure and ultimately go home with our heads down. That kind of mentality had been unflinching for the last 15 years, which included losses in all four of our gold medal games in that time (not counting the Olympics nor the World Cup, which themselves hold some painful losses).

This team didn't simply break that curse in the last game; they completely and utterly ignored the way Finns are supposed to crumble down before the summit, and they maintained that pose throughout the entire tournament, not just in one game. They had everything that's good about Finnish hockey and none of the defeatism.

I don't know if it was Granlund's presence that finally inspired the rest of the guys to such un-Finnish confidence, but this really was a special team who, I think, are nothing but heroes.

Great post :handclap:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Hope the Hornets are going to bomb Stockholm with some Ananas, so they can use the ananas-circles to make themselfs their own "gold medals" :sarcasm: :laugh:
And who remember Torino 2006 olympic Final, also knows why im saying that ananas thing..
Not a bad idea.

Ananas = pineapple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad