Finland are your world champions

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Finland is perhaps seventh when talking about individual skill among players. Just look at the NHL, they have perhaps 2 players among the top-30 in points.

Canada
Russia
Sweden
Usa
Czech Rep
Slovakia
Finland

But they elevate their team play 100% on the national team, which makes them deadly in most international tournaments.

And I don't buy the Canadian excuse: Well, we didn't have our best players...so what? This tournament is played with the players in it, not the players that decide not to participate, or those who can't for various reasons.

All the best players aren't playing in the Olympics either, and certainly not in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Finland is perhaps seventh when talking about individual skill among players. Just look at the NHL, they have perhaps 2 players among the top-30 in points.

Canada
Russia
Sweden
Usa
Czech Rep
Slovakia
Finland

But they elevate their team play 100% on the national team, which makes them deadly in most international tournaments.

And I don't buy the Canadian excuse: Well, we didn't have our best players...so what? This tournament is played with the players in it, not the players that decide not to participate, or those who can't for various reasons.

All the best players aren't playing in the Olympics either, and certainly not in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Vehanen said it quite well about this year:"We had good leaders, but we didn't have individuals that wanted to bring themselves to the spotlight too much. It was a team with a capital T." :)

I guess that's how it goes with most Finnish teams.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
You know, as a Swede, even if this mostly sucks, in hindsight it's quite cool that Granlund's goal actually led to something greater. Kind of elevates the goal even more.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Our new Selanne is Immonen. He will prove next year that it wasn't a fluke. Good thing we got him in the KHL instead of NHL (where he would belong) so we get him for WC each year.

Btw, who do you guys think of this team Finland are going to the NHL next season (other than Granlund)? I see J. Lajunen maybe getting a shot who is drafted by Nashville. O. Väänänen would deserve a NHL comeback as well! Of the KHL players Niskala, Immonen, Vehanen would do very well in the NHL but i think they will be stuck in KHL.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland is perhaps seventh when talking about individual skill among players.

Nah, we're above Slovakia in that. When it comes down to starpower, Selanne vs Chara, Vishnovsky vs M.Koivu (ok they win slightly for this one). Honestly Hossa is fading a bit and Gaborik had a bad season. Halak vs Rinne/Niemi/Kiprusoff etc. I can throw in a lot more good players like S.Koivu,Timonen,Lydman,Leino,Filppula,T.Ruutu,Salo,O.Jokinen,J.Jokinen,Pitkanen,Bergenheim but for Slovakia it pretty much ends there. We got more top players than them. Perhaps i missed the point a little, but u shouldn't even make a comparison like that when we got so many more players to throw out there than for example Slovakia :).

Well to your other point, i see it more this way: Finnish players in general are little underrated when u talk of individuals in the NHL they aren't the most visible. Also because they aren't the most loud of people, sometimes it affects on their playtime as North-Americans are maybe little bit the opposite, so they may see it as a weakness in Finnish players even if it really isn't. Then when u got these underrated players in a team together it comes as a shock to everyone when we do well.

dfk711*

Our new Selanne is Immonen. He will prove next year that it wasn't a fluke. Good thing we got him in the KHL instead of NHL (where he would belong) so we get him for WC each year.

Btw, who do you guys think of this team Finland are going to the NHL next season (other than Granlund)? I see J. Lajunen maybe getting a shot who is drafted by Nashville. O. Väänänen would deserve a NHL comeback as well! Of the KHL players Niskala, Immonen, Vehanen would do very well in the NHL but i think they will be stuck in KHL.

I wonder if Juhamatti Aaltonen will get a chance

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
He seems like the kinda guy who will be effective enough to dominate in european leagues but not straight forward enough to make it in the NHL. You need to know when and how to shoot, JMA does not know yet and I think he might never learn just like Tomi Kallio. Great player for Elitserien or KHL but not NHL. I hope I am wrong and we will see him develop his shot. And scoring instinct..

I am absolutely certain Perttu Lindgren would have done better in JMA's spot, he has a better shot than JMA and playmaking ability of Granlund. JMA is not a world class passer.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Not sure if serious.. but he was one of the worst players in our team :laugh:

As i have said before, hes so skilled, sees the play pretty well, backchecks pretty well, holds the puck and protects it nice.. If he learn to shoot when he has a change, he would jump from zero to hero. He is very close NHL level. If he shoots more he would have been great in this years tournament.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder if Juhamatti Aaltonen will get a chance

Btw I don't see Juhamatti being picked for next year's WC even though he played a good final game. He'd have to have better season in KHL than he had previous season and do very well in EHT. 2 world championships and the guy just can't score. Next year every finnish player (that is free) including Selanne (he'll change his mind about retiring when it's a home tournament) etc want to come if their team is out so some have to be left out and unfortuantely it's going to affect guys like Aaltonen who didn't answer to the expectations that were put on him. Vehanen will be #2 goalie for sure with some starting NHL goalie.

Turku Caps

May 16, 2011
Turku
Väänänen would do well as a stay-at-home dman. Immonen has developed into a more versatile player but is he suited for small-sized rink? He needs to get at top 6 role, as well as Aaltonen. Vehanen would do well but I don't believe he's interested in going to the NHL in this part of his career. I can't see Niskala as an NHL player.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Väänänen would do well as a stay-at-home dman. Immonen has developed into a more versatile player but is he suited for small-sized rink? He needs to get at top 6 role, as well as Aaltonen. Vehanen would do well but I don't believe he's interested in going to the NHL in this part of his career. I can't see Niskala as an NHL player.

Niskala was awesome and in theory his playing style should fit better in NA, but I think he didn't quite click socially and his family had problems settling.

Immonen would do just fine on a third line IMO. The guy can hit and has solid defensive work.

Turku Caps

May 16, 2011
Turku
Immonen would do just fine on a third line IMO. The guy can hit and has solid defensive work.
Well, this could be true. And he can also play on the wing, that increases his chances. It would be great to see the Immonen - Granlund dynamic duo together in the Wild.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well, this could be true. And he can also play on the wing, that increases his chances. It would be great to see the Immonen - Granlund dynamic duo together in the Wild.

I agree. If Wild really wanted to be a top contender they should invest some cash to Immonen, him and Granlund are just sick together.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
You fail miserably. Aaltonen is NHL level easily

Please tell me what you base this on. NHL level easily? He wasn't even World Championship level. He's barely EHT level. He got nothing done in this tournament. Nothing.

He's soft and he holds on to the puck for way too long. A bad combination in the smaller rink and the toughest league. He won't succeed unless he changes his game... a lot...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad