GDT: Final exit interviews; Granato 11am/Adams 11:30am

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo

That's not what's going on at all. They all agreed on the 12 weeks rehab timeline, but according to Vogl, multiple surgeons told Eichel that if the disk doesn't go back into place by 6 weeks, it wouldn't go back at all, so Eichel wants to schedule the surgery right at the end of the 12th week, while the Sabres still want to wait

I wonder if it's surgery as a whole that the team objects to or this new, never had before by an NHL player that they object to? I'm not sure that's been asked.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I wonder if it's surgery as a whole that the team objects to or this new, never had before by an NHL player that they object to? I'm not sure that's been asked.

It's very likely the newness of the surgical procedure and lack of evidence of its efficacy among NHL players/professional athletes that's causing pause for the Sabres organization

The problem is that other articles I read pointed out that if Eichel doesn't have this particular surgical procedure and sticks with rehab, it opens the door to the possibility that he can end up with an even worse issue and require spinal fusion surgery

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Surgeons telling Eichel he needs surgery.

In other news, by barber insists I need a haircut.
I'm just here with today's fun fact that the origin of the red-white or red-white-blue striped barber's pole, as a symbol for their occupation, similar to the trio of balls for a pawn shop, etc., is from the common practice of the original barber-surgeons of the 1500s / 16th century to practice bloodletting as a curative treatment for various maladies, in addition to shaves and haircuts, as they possessed the sharp specialty tools of the day.*

I once had a barber following me in the subway after seeing my haircut.
In that era, subways were not yet invented, though one might imagine you still would have been followed on the surface streets.

*Although it is now also known that one of the Central or South American cultures - Mayans, Aztecs, Incas, or perhaps some other indigenous peoples, actually practiced drilling through the skull to relieve pressure on the brain from certain causes.

Reactions: slip

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm just here with today's fun fact that the origin of the red-white or red-white-blue striped barber's pole, as a symbol for their occupation, similar to the trio of balls for a pawn shop, etc., is from the common practice of the original barber-surgeons of the 1500s / 16th century to practice bloodletting as a curative treatment for various maladies.

In that era, subways were not yet invented, though one might imagine you still would have been followed on the surface streets.
What I’m getting out of your post is we need to bleed Jack with leeches before PT or surgery. Or perhaps a blood sacrifice of Risto to the hockey gods to favor us with a healed Jack Eichel.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
What I’m getting out of your post is we need to bleed Jack with leeches before PT or surgery. Or perhaps a blood sacrifice of Risto to the hockey gods to favor us with a healed Jack Eichel.

Reduce inflammation great idea.. Not great understanding or execution.

Cause inflammatiom vast environmental, food , toxins, emf ,immune response , gmo, yeast, mold and parasitic.. Any injury to illness including cancers to lymphoma tied to above..

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Watching interviews.. Jack will go against anyone that lessens his chance of playing.. Reinhart hates the media and will back Jack's play.. Risto will come back if asked..

Ullmark and Mccabe will not sign w sabres until Jack situation moves toward resolution..

KA realises we suck w all 5 gone as does Risto.. No rebuild..

So let the kid do his surgery.. His body.. Or trade him and let other team decide.. Waiting u help Jack burn this bridge..stay in moral right and we might have a team or get a lindros lafontaine return..

Good luck to all parties including us fans.. Hope to see Jack and Sam in sabres unis but looks less likely.. Dont interview people and ask how they feel after a last place finish or a big loss..

Reactions: IlikeEich

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mentioned it yesterday but I’m surprised Skinner wasn’t asked about or talked about during the Adams interview. Unless i just missed it when the interview froze or was cutting in/out.

He’s the second highest paid player and has underperformed to say the least the last two years.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You're over-playing the experience part and downplaying the human skills (to borrow from Simon Sinek) and leadership abilities.

Here's a little story I just shared elsewhere: 2013, just arrived in Afghanistan. Brand new graduate with a master's degree in national planning and strategy, and taking a planning position for a year. First assignment: re-design Bagram Air Field.

:puppy:

I knew nothing about air base design. Zero. I'm a recon Soldier by trade. But I had to lead that project.

So I got on the next flight to Bagram and met with the base leadership, and we formed a team. That included a civilian who used to be an air base planner for the Air Force. We put the plan together, got it approved, and a year later the whole air base was changed.

What got me through? People skills, team building skills, leadership, empathy, trust, having hard conversations. All the human skills that you think are bull crap. And surrounding myself with people who knew what they were doing.

--------------------------
Kevyn Adams, new GM, doesn't know a thing about being a GM. (6/16/20)

He hires Karmanos (4/14/21) , and begins to re-build the staff (TBD). He's in the process of hiring a new coach (or making Granato the coach full time). If Adams surrounds himself with the right people, he'll be fine. What will matter are his human skills and leadership.

You can judge now, but I'll hold my judgment until this is through. I've seen way too many people succeed on leadership, human skills, and surrounding themselves with great people.

So by your own logic, Adams was a first time GM and doesn't get help for 10 MONTHS. An entire offseason, draft, planning, firing a coach, team finishes dead last.

This has nothing to do with soft skills. You had resources and an advanced degree in planning and management, you simply did not know the subject on which you were planning and managing, and you were given those resources

It wasn't because you "believed in something bigger than yourself" it's because you were competent and surrounded yourself with competent people

Is Adams a competent GM? Time will ultimately tell, but the results after 1 year literally couldn't be any worse. Last place finish and best players are sick of losing. Sure, that isn't on all on Adams as there was losing seasons that preceded him and the roster and coach came from a previous GM (mostly)

My issue (and was clear on this the day Adams was hired) was last season offseason was IMPORTANT because a bad result was going to lead us to where we are. And instead of using the extended offseason to rebuild the entire front office and get new management, scouting, and processes in place, the Pegula's gutted and essentially placed someone with zero management experience in charge with zero support.

In your scenario, imagine you didn't have any experts to lean on, and not only that, they fired half the people that were already working on the project because they failed. And you couldn't hire any help for 10 months.

That is what we just witnessed happen to the Sabres. And now the GM is saying "Oh if you don't want to be here, see ya" and only bringing in people who will buy into the Sabres and that's the "magic"

If you want people to believe in the process and something "bigger than themselves" you have to HAVE a plan to begin with. Beane and McDermott had a plan and a process to build the team.

What is Adams plan? Do we know? Does anyone know?

So what should the players BELIEVE in that is BIGGER than themselves? The Buffalo Sabres, a franchise that hasn't make the playoffs in nine seasons?

My issue isn't with asking players to be team first or believe in something bigger than themselves. My issue is that you are asking players to believe in a process that isn't defined and a team with a recent history of nothing but failure.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's stupid IMO. An experimental surgery on the spine? That seems like a last measure. I don't understand why a 24 year old would risk that, and why his advisors would allow it.
It's a common misconception that Artificial Disc Replacement is experimental. I wouldn't put it past the Sabres crack medical staff to be misinformed.

However there is a newer procedure, disc nucleus replacement, where only the center portion of the disc is replaced. That is experimental in the USA but it's commonly performed in Europe. It's a minimally invasive procedure pioneered in Germany. It isn't new. The US is way behind in this field.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It's a common misconception that Artificial Disc Replacement is experimental. I wouldn't put it past the Sabres crack medical staff to be misinformed.

However there is a newer procedure, disc nucleus replacement, where only the center portion of the disc is replaced. That is experimental in the USA but it's commonly performed in Europe. It's a minimally invasive procedure that pioneered in Germany. It isn't new. The US is way behind in this field.

The Sabres have the best of the best, don't fool yourself. It is new to contact professional sports.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
So by your own logic, Adams was a first time GM and doesn't get help for 10 MONTHS. An entire offseason, draft, planning, firing a coach, team finishes dead last.

This has nothing to do with soft skills. You had resources and an advanced degree in planning and management, you simply did not know the subject on which you were planning and managing, and you were given those resources

It wasn't because you "believed in something bigger than yourself" it's because you were competent and surrounded yourself with competent people

Is Adams a competent GM? Time will ultimately tell, but the results after 1 year literally couldn't be any worse. Last place finish and best players are sick of losing. Sure, that isn't on all on Adams as there was losing seasons that preceded him and the roster and coach came from a previous GM (mostly)

My issue (and was clear on this the day Adams was hired) was last season offseason was IMPORTANT because a bad result was going to lead us to where we are. And instead of using the extended offseason to rebuild the entire front office and get new management, scouting, and processes in place, the Pegula's gutted and essentially placed someone with zero management experience in charge with zero support.

In your scenario, imagine you didn't have any experts to lean on, and not only that, they fired half the people that were already working on the project because they failed. And you couldn't hire any help for 10 months.

That is what we just witnessed happen to the Sabres. And now the GM is saying "Oh if you don't want to be here, see ya" and only bringing in people who will buy into the Sabres and that's the "magic"

If you want people to believe in the process and something "bigger than themselves" you have to HAVE a plan to begin with. Beane and McDermott had a plan and a process to build the team.

So what should the players BELIEVE in that is BIGGER than themselves? The Buffalo Sabres, a franchise that hasn't make the playoffs in nine seasons?

My issue isn't with asking players to be team first or believe in something bigger than themselves. My issue is that you are asking players to believe in a process that isn't defined and a team with a recent history of nothing but failure.

I always like your posts but you are reading too hard into these bullshit press conferences. McDermott doesn't give answers to just about anything.

I'm not even saying give Adams a chance. It's just we have nothing to really go off other than these press conferences. I thought moving Hall to Boston was a terrible idea but I guess if your hand is forced you can't just keep him here against his will. Almost all the rest I'm putting on Ralph, basically because they seem to have figured out who the good and bad players were once he left.

Now if they lose Ullmark for nothing.....

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

we’re going to agree to disagree. I could address each of your point, but it won’t get us anywhere.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Are we sure he mentioned Sabres to begin with? Who actually bothers to edit their bio and unfollow their employer or ex-employer?
Lots of people do, Hendry Cavill just removed Warner Bros and DC from his follows on Twitter after they said they were going in a different direction with a black Superman on his birthday.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Therapeutic waterboarding for him.

Lots of people do, Hendry Cavill just removed Warner Bros and DC from his follows on Twitter after they said they were going in a different direction with a black Superman on his birthday.
Maybe Marvel should sign Cavill to replace the late Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, write the character as an adopted step-brother who returns to Wakanda, and call him White Cheetah. So many ways they could play it - write him as a bumbling ne'er-do-well instead of a warrior; make him a social justice warrior who hates violence; make him allergic to vibranium instead of kryptonite. Make him a green warrior who builds a fortress of solitude out of recycled plastic water bottles. Lots of comedic spoof opportunities.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe Marvel should sign Cavill to replace the late Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, write the character as an adopted step-brother who returns to Wakanda, and call him White Cheetah. So many ways they could play it - write him as a bumbling ne'er-do-well instead of a warrior; make him a social justice warrior who hates violence; make him allergic to vibranium instead of kryptonite. Make him a green warrior who builds a fortress of solitude out of recycled plastic water bottles. Lots of comedic spoof opportunities.
Haha that's good.. I like the sound of White Tiger seeing as how rare they are and I would keep your own premise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad