GDT: Final exit interviews; Granato 11am/Adams 11:30am

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Haha that's good.. I like the sound of White Tiger seeing as how rare they are and I would keep your own premise.
Wholly on board. Guest star Carole Baskin (or a true actor playing her or a pseudonym character, like "Beryl Caskin") with a major or minor plot line re: the mysterious disappearance of her character's husband, which Henry Cavill then needs to solve / avenge. Art imitates life, life imitates art.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabre the Win

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I always like your posts but you are reading too hard into these bullshit press conferences. McDermott doesn't give answers to just about anything.

I'm not even saying give Adams a chance. It's just we have nothing to really go off other than these press conferences. I thought moving Hall to Boston was a terrible idea but I guess if your hand is forced you can't just keep him here against his will. Almost all the rest I'm putting on Ralph, basically because they seem to have figured out who the good and bad players were once he left.

Now if they lose Ullmark for nothing.....

People have pointed to blaming the offseason issues onto Ralph. I mean, I get a GM going after the players the coach wants, but the GM should be able to say "We don't think this is a fit" or "we should focus our budget elsewhere"

Between the Girgensons overpayment (easily double his market rate last year), the Eakin deal, sign TT to a 3 year deal at 50% over what his play warranted, and not addressing goaltending in any significant way, there are really two options:

#1. Either Adams doesn't have full roster control

OR

#2. Adams is a horrible judge of market value and talent.

So either he's not really the GM or he's a bad GM. I suppose it could be both. But no matter what, what the Sabres have done with the front office is atrocious and will continue to be a problem until we have the Pegula's in vastly reduced roles and either surround Adams with experienced support staff or completely re do the front office.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
People have pointed to blaming the offseason issues onto Ralph. I mean, I get a GM going after the players the coach wants, but the GM should be able to say "We don't think this is a fit" or "we should focus our budget elsewhere"

Between the Girgensons overpayment (easily double his market rate last year), the Eakin deal, sign TT to a 3 year deal at 50% over what his play warranted, and not addressing goaltending in any significant way, there are really two options:

#1. Either Adams doesn't have full roster control

OR

#2. Adams is a horrible judge of market value and talent.

So either he's not really the GM or he's a bad GM. I suppose it could be both. But no matter what, what the Sabres have done with the front office is atrocious and will continue to be a problem until we have the Pegula's in vastly reduced roles and either surround Adams with experienced support staff or completely re do the front office.
Or Option #3

Adams was part of the much mocked “efficient” flat management team from last offseason. Where Krueger, Adams and the Pegulas were all equals and it effectively made Krueger co-GM. The Pegulas were giddy about it when interviewed about it at the time.

The Pegulas felt with Krueger that they had found their McDermitt for the Sabres. It’s why he had the amount of say he did. Many league wide reporters have talked about it being “Ralph’s offseason”. What that means for specific moves and Adams involvement is hard to know.

None of this is an endorsement of Adams (or criticism for that matter). It’s just laying out what the management situation was last offseason. This offseason he will be working in an environment where he will clearly be the top guy.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Or Option #3

Adams was part of the much mocked “efficient” flat management team from last offseason. Where Krueger, Adams and the Pegulas were all equals and it effectively made Krueger co-GM. The Pegulas were giddy about it when interviewed about it at the time.

The Pegulas felt with Krueger that they had found their McDermitt for the Sabres. It’s why he had the amount of say he did. Many league wide reporters have talked about it being “Ralph’s offseason”. What that means for specific moves and Adams involvement is hard to know.

None of this is an endorsement of Adams (or criticism for that matter). It’s just laying out what the management situation was last offseason. This offseason he will be working in an environment where he will clearly be the top guy.

Isn't that the 'both' part?

You were half responsible for terrible contracts and a last place team. So you were bad at your job AND you were a co GM with the coach?

As I've stated multiple times, Adams was never and still isn't qualified for a GM job. If he were fired today, he'd get exactly zero interviews for NHL GM jobs around the league.

It's embarrassing that he is going to be in charge of the what will likely be the most important trade of the next 10 years for the Sabres. Almost as embarrassing that the team has gotten to the point where that trade is all but inevitable now.

Reactions: explore

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You were half responsible for terrible contracts and a last place team. So you were bad at your job AND you were a co GM with the coach?

As I've stated multiple times, Adams was never and still isn't qualified for a GM job. If he were fired today, he'd get exactly zero interviews for NHL GM jobs around the league.

It's embarrassing that he is going to be in charge of the what will likely be the most important trade of the next 10 years for the Sabres. Almost as embarrassing that the team has gotten to the point where that trade is all but inevitable now.

Not necessarily.

If Adams role last offseason was to ensure we acquired the players Krueger wanted for the roster. Then his role was to facilitate Krueger’s vision for the team not his own. So it wasn’t really about his ability to assess talent.

Obviously if Adams was the driving force behind most of the moves thats a different thing all together. The problem is we don’t know what, if anything, we can directly attribute to Adams. So its hard to use last offseason to get a read on what Adams may or may not do this offseason.

There will be two big difference this offseason from last

1) Adams is the clearcut guy making the final decisions.

2) Adams right hand man (Karmanos) has a ton of NHL management experience. As opposed to last offseason where the two guys responsible (Krueger/Adams) for building the roster had none. Regardless of what the power dynamic was.

How much of a difference will Karmanos make? I have no idea.

Last edited:

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Hopefully Karmanos can help there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad