Confirmed with Link: Filppula signs with Tampa 5 years 5m per year (post #16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyDeath*

Losing one C to get a better C, Detroit wins!

Filpulla for $5M/year? Insanity! For a tiny bit less the Wings have gotten a Centerman with bigger and more consistent numbers. Hopefully that will continue with Detroit. This could be like letting Matthieu Schneider go in 2007 and upgrading with Rafalski in free agency.

Way to tear the heart out of a division opponent, Mr. Holland. Sure, Alfredsson can still play and certainly will make matching up against the Wings forward depth more difficult. But whenever you can steal away a soon-to-be division rival's great and vital leader, that's a no-brainer! Allow of Ottawa is dejected and blue a full three months before the season even begins. OUCH!

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't understand, why let Filppula go and then sign Weiss for the same money? Especially when Filppula can play multiple positions and Filppula can't.

HockeyDeath*

Good for him, hope he does well, but Weiss is better at essentially the same price.

Here, here! Weiss has played between, I imagine, wingers with less to much less skill than Detroit has. Yet, his numbers are very consistent and very good. Filpulla has no such track record. Really only one stand-out season for Filpulla. If Weiss can live up to the pressure in a hockey city, then, Mr. Holland has just pulled of a great signing. Great poise on Holland's part in the realization that Filpulla and his agent were not going to budge on what seems (giving Filpulla the benefit of the doubt) to be a bit of an overpayment (for the last several months the two camps had not negotiated). Let the Fin go and pick up the nice Jewish boy!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Lecavalier is 3 years older than Weiss, and has looked noticeably slower in the last few years. Him being unmovable at 37/38, even though 400k less, is a bit concerning I suppose.

I still don't think it would've killed us, but I think the Weiss contract is better.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So why would you balk at Vinny's demands then pay more for the same term to Weiss?

He's younger, that sounds like a big reason. And to be perfectly honest, I like Lecavalier a little more because of his history and extra size, I don't think the production will be that much different.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Ideally we get Vinny instead of Weiss or Flip, but it just didn't work out I guess. Of the options on the table today, I'm still pleased.

Mostly noting that Holland felt more than a couple of years was too long. Given Vinny's pedigree, I don't think I agree. He turns around and signs a 40-yr old Alfie for $3.5 MM + 2 MM bonus option.... So addressing Eternal Sunshine's point about Vinny being 38 by the contract expiry date? Makes little sense unless Detroit was never of interest. That doesn't make sense either as Holland seemed to withdraw from the contest due to term/value.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So why would you balk at Vinny's demands then pay more for the same term to Weiss?

Age and NMC, I'd assume.

Doesn't sound like Weiss has that NTC/NMC? Could unload him in a few years if things aren't working.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
I meant the Wings balking at Lecavalier's term and amount.

Honestly I am ok with the Weiss signing, but I still think especially knowing what Lecav signed for, that Lecav would have been the better signing for us to get.

We all know that Babcock wants the team to be a bit bigger, for a cheaper contract the Flyers got

6 foot 4 220 lbs whereas we got 5 foot 11 190 lbs

I think Babcock would have preferred to have the 6 foot 4 player who I think for the first 3 years of the deal will be the better offensive player and give him more lineup options. I also think caring about years 4 and 5 of the deal at this point is not worth thinking about because I think our window to get 1 more cup in the Datsyuk Zetterberg era is these immediate 3 years, so I do think Vinny is definitely the signing we should have done. Who knows though, maybe Vinny wanted some french teammates and he at least gets that in Philly with Giroux and Couturier, so we didn't have a chance, but hearing we only offered him 2 years cause we were worried about pace I don't understand.

At the end of the day though I am still ok with the Weiss signing, and I think the important thing is Babcock has some new players to preach his message to. Hopefully the turnover is enough and the desire to win Alfie a cup for this team to make a run next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad