Confirmed with Link: Filppula signs with Tampa 5 years 5m per year (post #16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Strange how everyone who laughed off Jokinen's 40 goal seasons in Florida is so eager to tell me my Weiss' 20 goals is so awesome

RedWingsNow*

I read through lots of Panthers' board posts.
It wasn't that long ago that Weiss said he wanted to spend his entire career in Florida.
But Florida didn't want him.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Noticing a trend here today.

The Dark Knight was in theaters when this was relevant.

George W. Bush was still President when that happened. Scott Kazmir was a good pitcher then. The Yankees failed to make the postseason that year... And... The Detroit Lions went 0-16...

RedWingsNow*

Noticing a trend here today.

The Dark Knight was in theaters when this was relevant.

Ah, the old make a point without making a point trick.:laugh:

If you're looking for a more recent comparison of Weiss and Filppula, please check the other thread.
Over the last three years, Flip is better and points.

Any good movies play in the last three years?

RedWingsNow*

George W. Bush was still President when that happened. Scott Kazmir was a good pitcher then. The Yankees failed to make the postseason that year... And... The Detroit Lions went 0-16...

Remember that time Weiss led his team to the finals?

Remember that time Weiss led his team to the second round?

Remember that time Weiss made that great play in neutral ice in the final minute -- stealing the puck from Marleau and setting up that goal -- that without it, Florida never probably never wins the cup?

I'm sensing a ton of boosterism in here today.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I just don't see the need for a 5'11 soft perimeter center whose production isn't very good.

But a 6'0" soft perimeter center whose production isn't very good.... and who is more of a perimeter player than the 5'11" guy and who isn't as good of a center.... now that's a guy we want :)

RedWingsNow*

People laughed at Jokinen because he scored 100pts there and was less than half the player in the west.

Yeah. I seem to remember lots of -- Jokinen is an Eastern Conference player posts --

Doesn't apply to Weiss and his 42 goals over the last three years, eh?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Remember that time Weiss led his team to the finals?

Remember Filppula in the 2013 playoffs? He wasn't that good and bringing him back would basically be more of the same.

I thought you were eager for change? This is it. They are trying somebody else in that spot. So you don't like Weiss, that's clear, but at least they are mixing it up rather than trying to same top 6 combination for the 4th straight year.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Ah, the old make a point without making a point trick.:laugh:

If you're looking for a more recent comparison of Weiss and Filppula, please check the other thread.
Over the last three years, Flip is better and points.

Any good movies play in the last three years?

Weiss had a 0.64 PTS per game average the last 3 years and Flip was at 0.63 PTS per game. Hence, their contracts were virtually the same. Weiss has been the #1 guy and drawn the toughest assignments before and is more of a proven center whereas Flip is a year younger, really versatile and may produce at a higher clip with more ice time and responsibility. Or, he may not. Either way, they are extremely similar. Flip probably wanted out of Z and D's shadow and the Wings probably valued Weiss more as a center so each party ultimately got what they wanted.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why don't you guys just wait til Weiss is on the Wings and then watch him and decide if you like him better than Filppula or not. Instead of arguing, while Weiss did this in Florida with this many minutes, and Filppula did this 2 years ago. Just wait and watch. I think you'll see it's a good signing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why don't you guys just wait til Weiss is on the Wings and then watch him and decide if you like him better than Filppula or not. Instead of arguing, while Weiss did this in Florida with this many minutes, and Filppula did this 2 years ago. Just wait and watch. I think you'll see it's a good signing.

I don't know, I think we're just a few advanced stats away from solving this.

RedWingsNow*

If filppula is so clearly better, why didn't the wings think so?

Now that's an interesting question.

And if you ask me, I think it's entirely likely that the rumor I heard this year is true... that Flip hates Babcock's guts and wanted out at all costs.

And if the guy who told me that is right, Franzen would do the same thing.

I think Filppula is a good center. A solid #2 center. Not a great one. But a guy who sees the ice well, doesn't shoot enough and lacks killer instinct in the offensive zone.
But he's a top notch two-way center who makes plays in tight areas of the ice.

I'm all for improving on Filppula. But I don't see Weiss as improvement at all.

Just a name that people know and feel kind of good about.

RedWingsNow*

Weiss had a 0.64 PTS per game average the last 3 years and Flip was at 0.63 PTS per game. Hence, their contracts were virtually the same. Weiss has been the #1 guy and drawn the toughest assignments before and is more of a proven center whereas Flip is a year younger, really versatile and may produce at a higher clip with more ice time and responsibility. Or, he may not. Either way, they are extremely similar. Flip probably wanted out of Z and D's shadow and the Wings probably valued Weiss more as a center so each party ultimately got what they wanted.

Points per game, sure.

Let's talk points per 60 minutes.

Flip never got the kind of icetime Weiss got. He never 3:30 a night on the PP either.

The second part of your post makes sense.

The end result is what I said -- It's a lateral move

People act like we did something important.

We just spent $5M on a guy who isn't any better, really, than the guy who left.

We are spending $5M on Alfredsson at 40 years old... And Brunner is faster, and scored more goals and similar points in a lot less icetime last year.

And there's talk of bringing back cleary.

Better?

This is the same team. Different names.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The end result is what I said -- It's a lateral move

People act like we did something important.

We just spent $5M on a guy who isn't any better, really, than the guy who left.

You're willing to say that before Weiss even plays 1 game as a Red Wing?

I think you might be surprised and like Weiss better than you think. If his wrist has recovered I think he will do very well as a 2C, and I was a big Filppula fan, but I think Weiss could be an improvement.

RedWingsNow*

You're willing to say that before Weiss even plays 1 game as a Red Wing?

I think you might be surprised and like Weiss better than you think. If his wrist has recovered I think he will do very well as a 2C, and I was a big Filppula fan, but I think Weiss could be an improvement.

A chance? Sure. Always a chance.

I'd like it if Weiss proves me wrong.

But I don't think he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad