Confirmed with Link: Filppula signs with Tampa 5 years 5m per year (post #16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
yup. another awful move by yzerman

i wouldn't call it awful. Some people see potential still, just wasn't getting to that on Detroit

Obviously don't know the situation here specifically but, generally this happens a lot in FA markets in sport. Specifically if you follow football you know that Wes Welker just left the Patriots over a "disrespectful offer" but ended up signing with Denver on a SLIGHTLY WORSE contract.

It's a pretty generic cycle tho: Athlete negotiates with team, gets offended that they won't give him what he wants, says angry things, hits the FA market, discovers that really WAS his value and then salavages his pride by signing ANYWHERE but his original team so he can say "it's a fresh start, I got what I wanted".

Good luck Fil. I'd have kept you at that price buddy. Win Steve some games.

Nothing Detroit offered was disrespectful, from what i hear

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Stevie must think he can get inside Fil's head and make him a producer

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
wasn't their rumors that Flip didn't like Babcock that much, maybe he just wanted to leave unless the wings met his outrageous contract demands so he's happy to go, who knows, the wings needed to make some changes though so I think definitely Weiss over Flip is the better move. I still think looking at the contracts now Vinny would be ideal over Weiss, but might as well see how the season unfolds. I just hope no cleary now, if there is still a cleary on this roster in the next week I won't be happy lol

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Nothing Detroit offered was disrespectful, from what i hear

Not sure you understood my point. Not super relevant tho; the entire scenario is based on the idea that Flip originally over-valued himself.

and "disrespectful" was I believe Wes Welker's words. Not mine.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
To be completely fair, it just seems like that's about the going rate for a 2nd line center.

Now, if you don't think he was a 2nd line center.. yeah, it's brutal.

I do tho. I think we'd have kept him at that price. Pride sucks, it makes people do stupid things all the time.

Fil never really established himself at the 2nd line center position. Zetterberg should always have been with Datsyuk and it is a testament to him that he was able to be really good, for years at his non-natural position. I've always thought Fil was a good player with really good potential, but he could never quite seize the job.

Hope things work out well for Stevie and him, but I feel people have overrated him based on his potential for too long.

crashman

wasn't their rumors that Flip didn't like Babcock that much, maybe he just wanted to leave unless the wings met his outrageous contract demands so he's happy to go, who knows, the wings needed to make some changes though so I think definitely Weiss over Flip is the better move. I still think looking at the contracts now Vinny would be ideal over Weiss, but might as well see how the season unfolds. I just hope no cleary now, if there is still a cleary on this roster in the next week I won't be happy lol

Babcock called him out on multiple occasions when he clearly wasn't the problem. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

TeemuS

Feb 13, 2013
Sad to see Fil go :( Hope he will do good in lightning

näkemiin Filppula

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Fil never really established himself at the 2nd line center position. Zetterberg should always have been with Datsyuk and it is a testament to him that he was able to be really good, for years at his non-natural position. I've always thought Fil was a good player with really good potential, but he could never quite seize the job.

Hope things work out well for Stevie and him, but I feel people have overrated him based on his potential for too long.

No for sure, if you don't think he's got the jam to be a 2nd line Center; then yeah. It's a brutal deal. I just disagree. I mean he WAS pretty good prior to last season.

It's not a big deal. I just happen to think we'd have kept him at that price; I totally could be wrong. Edit: I just don't believe we were ever offered that price. We got the big sticker, reality brought him back to earth. It happens; I can't even blame him.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Not sure you understood my point. Not super relevant tho; the entire scenario is based on the idea that Flip originally over-valued himself.

and "disrespectful" was I believe Wes Welker's words. Not mine.

oh i understood. But even overvaluing oneself doesn't mean anything NOT at that level is disrespectful. It's my understanding the Wings offered slightly less but for more years. Even Flip would have a hard time calling that disrespectful. However, he thinks he's a 1C and just signed to be a 2C, so I can't exactly follow his line of thinking

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

This.
Flip may score more points than Weiss next year but I don't think our management was sold on Flip as 2nd line center.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Weiss v. Flip is going to be interesting to watch...

STAT ALERT.

Yep, pretty even comparison to be honest, depending on linemates. I like Weiss over Fil though.

As others have said, thanks to Fil for all the memories; best of luck.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Babcock called him out on multiple occasions when he clearly wasn't the problem. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

If Babs called him out, he was at least part of the problem. Wings needed scoring, he didn't score...sounds like part of the problem

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
If Babs called him out, he was at least part of the problem. Wings needed scoring, he didn't score...sounds like part of the problem

I don't agree with this exactly, but if Fil was going to be a top-sixer, especially centering a top-six line, he should produce a lot more than he did with the players he played with.

Weiss is an established top-six center, who has played on woeful Florida teams and still outproduced Fil.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So will he be playing 1st line with Stammer and St. louis?

Doubt that, think he is their second line center. Should get Drouin though, so that is nice because that kid is filthy.

Cannot really see them breaking up St. Louis - Stamkos - Purcell.

Drouin - Filppula - Malone is my guess for second line. Could maybe see Panik or Brett Connolly assuming they aren't moved.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't agree with this exactly, but if Fil was going to be a top-sixer, especially centering a top-six line, he should produce a lot more than he did with the players he played with.

Weiss is an established top-six center, who has played on woeful Florida teams and still outproduced Fil.

Filppula carreer stats (estimation): 40-45pts per season (1 anomaly)

Weiss carreer stats (estimation): 50-60pts per season (no anomaly's)

Technically for the same cost, given the choice. I take Weiss.

But, was weiss Florida's first line centre? If so are his stats not pumped up a bit due to more playing time?

If Filppula plays with st.louis and stamkos, his points should jump alot.

Alot is circumstances.

Bottom line i think Flip is a 3.5-4Mil player.

Weiss is probably a 4-4.5player.

I don't know weiss well, maybe he is only just as good as flip. Either way, change is good then.

Sorry to see flip leave, always liked him, but with 5$ Mil price tags, almost anyone can look bad :P

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Doubt that, think he is their second line center. Should get Drouin though, so that is nice because that kid is filthy.

Cannot really see them breaking up St. Louis - Stamkos - Purcell.

Drouin - Filppula - Malone is my guess for second line. Could maybe see Panik or Brett Connolly assuming they aren't moved.

If Malone sucks and/or Drouin sent down, Killorn is likely there somewhere. And definitely above Panik and Connolly unless they for some reason decide to go with him as 3rd line C. Who I think is projected to go for Ty Johnson.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

I don't think any of the players like Babs, but no one liked Scotty either unless it was Cup lifting day.

Fil seemed to struggle quite a bit this year. I think he really needed a change of scenery. Good player, hope he can find his groove with TB. Oddly, we'll see him frequently as TB is in the same division with the Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad