Confirmed with Link: Filppula signs with Tampa 5 years 5m per year (post #16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Bummed to see him go, but changes had to be made. He never took his game to another level.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Oh boy this is gonna be a great follow next season Weiss vs Filppula. Weiss is the much more proven center, I guess that tipped it for Detroit. Filppula never showed he was capable of centering the 2nd line.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
what was the Wings offer? 7x4.75? I bet he regrets turning that down now

ah well,i'd rather have Weiss anyways :)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I thought he was asking for 5.5 and that was the sticking point.

What the hell just happened?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Obviously don't know the situation here specifically but, generally this happens a lot in FA markets in sport. Specifically if you follow football you know that Wes Welker just left the Patriots over a "disrespectful offer" but ended up signing with Denver on a SLIGHTLY WORSE contract.

It's a pretty generic cycle tho: Athlete negotiates with team, gets offended that they won't give him what he wants, says angry things, hits the FA market, discovers that really WAS his value and then salavages his pride by signing ANYWHERE but his original team so he can say "it's a fresh start, I got what I wanted".

Good luck Fil. I'd have kept you at that price buddy. Win Steve some games.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Wow I wish him the best. I thought Yzerman would be uninterested in him at that price but maybe he sees more potential. Who knows.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Wow I wish him the best. I thought Yzerman would be uninterested in him at that price but maybe he sees more potential. Who knows.

To be completely fair, it just seems like that's about the going rate for a 2nd line center.

Now, if you don't think he was a 2nd line center.. yeah, it's brutal.

I do tho. I think we'd have kept him at that price. Pride sucks, it makes people do stupid things all the time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Heard Detroit offered 4.75 for 5 years. So Yzerman outbid Holland badly. :)

Good luck for Filppula at Tampa. Should be nice fit.

crashman

I'm happy for Filppula. He was a hell of a player and we don't win the cup in 2008 without his contributions.

Here's to you Motor City Fil! You were my Finnish Flash! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad