Player Discussion Filip Gustavsson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I thought I heard Russo say somewhere that his agent really plays hardball with negotiations typically, so this could be a contract that goes deep into the offseason.
Gus still has say on how much hardball he wants his agent to play.
Gus himself said he was ready to call it a career and play back home if it didn't work out here. The fact that it has worked so well should work in our favor. He knows the team in front has a big impact on his job.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You could tell GMBG was trying to be realllly careful about what he said regarding Gus and his contract in what may be a contentious contract negotiation. It's weird because singing their praise in a press conference probably means the agent asks for even more.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, if Gus plays hardball (say, wants 5M+), does he go to arbitration? I think they look at the past two years of play, not just the most recent one. His time in OTT would really drag down his case.

You would think that he would realize the cap situation the team is in and go for a bridge deal if he likes it here, and also realizes that this is the first and only place where he has had success.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
So, if Gus plays hardball (say, wants 5M+), does he go to arbitration? I think they look at the past two years of play, not just the most recent one. His time in OTT would really drag down his case.

You would think that he would realize the cap situation the team is in and go for a bridge deal if he likes it here, and also realizes that this is the first and only place where he has had success.
They could/would go to arbitration. If he wants to play hardball, I think going to arbitration would severely limit his earning potential.

A.e. It's in his best interest, IMHO, not to go to arbitration.

Reactions: 57special

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Gus hasn’t played enough quality games to be worth $5M

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
They could/would go to arbitration. If he wants to play hardball, I think going to arbitration would severely limit his earning potential.

A.e. It's in his best interest, IMHO, not to go to arbitration.
I think so too. He doesn't have the career history or game sample to clearly win his side. Though, I think if it went to arbitration, he might come out with a $4mil cap while I hope BG can get him in the $3mil range.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
For comparison's sake, Oettinger got $4M per year last summer, on a 3 year deal. Good regular season, great playoffs. Gustavsson was the opposite, great regular season and good playoffs. Similar ages, similar prior experience.

We really only need 1 year out of Gustavsson for now. I think it would be pretty reasonable to knock $500k off for each year and end up at 1 x $3M or 2 x $3.5M if they'd like a 2nd year.

I don't feel like this should be a complicated negotiation.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Think he would sign a 3 x $3 million bridge deal? Makes him UFA at 27

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
No news is probably bad news, eh?
Not necessarily yet. If it drags on into free agency, that's not good because it means we don't know how much cap we actually have, which obviously makes it hard to sign free agents. If it drags on through the summer like the Kaprizov and Fiala negotiations did, that's really bad.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not necessarily yet. If it drags on into free agency, that's not good because it means we don't know how much cap we actually have, which obviously makes it hard to sign free agents. If it drags on through the summer like the Kaprizov and Fiala negotiations did, that's really bad.
A lot of RFA negotiations drag through the summer.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
A lot of RFA negotiations drag through the summer.
You're right, they do, and that would be bad for the Wild. I wonder if they'd elect for arbitration if that happened, just so there's a definite completion date and they can move on to the rest of the roster.

Plus, as you said, a one year arbitration deal gets some cap off the roster before the next negotiation.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're right, they do, and that would be bad for the Wild. I wonder if they'd elect for arbitration if that happened, just so there's a definite completion date and they can move on to the rest of the roster.

Plus, as you said, a one year arbitration deal gets some cap off the roster before the next negotiation.
If the team elects arbitration, the player picks the years. Gus could go with 2 and never pick up the phone again, same as Fiala could’ve.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3